• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Similar to what Valve does, Epic is also doing a 2022 year in review post:

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/news/epic-games-store-2022-year-in-review

View: https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1633839026972270593

image.png

IMG_5522.png

IMG_5523.png

And most importantly, the weekly free games continue, so people can get free games on the Epic plattform:

IMG_5524.png

Some more interesting tidbits:

The company is also planning to add support for subscription services from third-party publishers, meaning the Epic Games Store could offer programs like EA Play, Ubisoft Plus, and "hopefully PC Game Pass," according to Allison. He even mentioned that the store could offer the Unity development engine, which competes directly with Epic's own Unreal Engine.

What do you think about how far EGS has come in the last few years? It is a pretty competent launcher now.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Their best bet to actually getting it to grow is to keep developing its feature set and publishing games themselves. Gatekeeping third party exclusives just doesn't sit well with people.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
How much of that $335million spent on third party games was just on Genshin?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I like that 'Epic' is the least best tier in their Top Titles chart.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Man it takes a lot of balls to admit those stats boldly. The Top Titles of 2022 if you were only on EGS looks very shallow in content that released last year. And of course the free games program continues during the year, I mean without it will be even significantly less engagement.

I do hope they improve on the launcher experience, maybe sort of offer some kind of controller input help. Self-publishing tools should be good to entice more games to come to the store but seeing as they are allowing blockchain games in as well, one wonders how they will combat against potential grift.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What do you think about how far EGS has come in the last few years? It is a pretty competent launcher now.

It's always been competent. It's still sluggish and lacking features, and I don't even want to use them while they keep buying exclusives, and I'm happy to use any launcher that has the cheapest deals usually. Once the timed exclusive completely stop, I'll look in their direction a little more.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say that their -2% spending YOY is painful but in retrospect, given the absurd boost the pandemic gave to all digital entertainment services in 2021, it's very possible that other platforms also saw a dip in user spending going from 2021 > 2022. FWIW, I don't think Valve gave a number for spending YOY. We do know that Steam is breaking records for MAU left and right though, so maybe not.

It is a pretty competent launcher now.

I would disagree. Here's my experience from just a few months ago in December:

For comparison, I can scroll through my ~800 Steam games in grid view from a cold boot no problem.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
At some point they should realize that their approach isn't working.
EGS is such a shitty platform that I still opt to buy games on Steam, despite having gotten them for free on EGS.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Demanding "cross play" for self publishing, in practice, means demanding Epic Online Services integration. Which will bleed into the Steam version of the games. So this actually sucks in my book

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
For me Steam Deck was final nail in EGS coffin.
It's still worse than Steam was in 2008. (And Steam wasn't that good back then).

Also how can revenue go down?

Demanding "cross play" for self publishing, in practice, means demanding Epic Online Services integration. Which will bleed into the Steam version of the games. So this actually sucks in my book

It's been requirement since 2020 (was revealed in Epic v. Apple)
but it fits Epic's MO of making others worse than yourself better.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It says any implementation of crossplay is fine. They just know not many people will buy multiplayer games on their store and don't want to deal with selling a bunch of games that are effectively unplayable without enough users.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
What do I think about egs? Well unless a game I want launches there first, in which case I look at it as an early access for bugs and such, I don't really think about it at all unless I see a post discussing it here. I won't touch the servce with a barge pole personally.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Wait, but when EGS launched, so many people said the curated games approach was better than self-publishing like on Steam.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
The -2% is completely fucking incredible in so many ways

Also their top 5 games includes 3 F2P games and another game that they gave away previously which is also mtx heavy, PLUS the bottom tier of note includes titles like cyberpunk and god of war etc so the sales units across the store must be DIRE

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017
It would be interesting to see the concurrent players for some of those top games listed for comparison to Steam.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I wonder when epic will show the Ueda and Playdead games. The wait is killing me

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Overall revenue down 2% even though they launched Fall Guys as a F2P game on EGS in June. Must be a good drop in revenue for all of their F2P games given third party spend was up.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
True. I guess nothing changes then. The EGS's existence continues making Steam versions of games worse.
They don't force EOS persay (They just require Crossplay in general) but It's easier to implement for developers so most of them just do that

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The -2% is completely fucking incredible in so many ways

Also their top 5 games includes 3 F2P games and another game that they gave away previously which is also mtx heavy, PLUS the bottom tier of note includes titles like cyberpunk and god of war etc so the sales units across the store must be DIRE

-2% and it costs them money for each free game that people claim.

So naturally I've been claiming free games the entire year without spending a dime.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is that $355M money spent on In app purchases on non-epic games? or just money spent on all games that arent published by Epic. Like overall money spent on the store dropped but 3rd party purchases increased greatly. Was it just Fortnite money that fell?

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
it's ok. they all kinda suck, at least steam has some neat tooling going (integration for Steam Input inside the overlay) but I'd rather not use any launcher at all. just let me shortcut to an exe, I promise you my Operating System is really good at that.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I guess it's a hot take but 2% decrease is actually relatively good when most of the industry is correcting from the highs of 2020/2021. Consumer spending in games decreased 5% in the US last year, more in other regions that were feeling financially tighter like Europe. People seem to exaggerate a bit when it comes to Epic.
www.gamesindustry.biz

NPD: US game spending dipped 5% to $57bn in 2022

Sign up for the GI Daily here to get the biggest news straight to your inbox According to tracking firm NPD's latest re…
www.gamesindustry.biz

European console and PC game sales fall 7.1% in 2022

Xbox is the only console to grow year-on-year across Europe

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021
Opening up to self publishing and the free games continuing is nice!

They're fee to implement it however they like. Not like Epic is forcing devs use EOS. Crossplay should be a thing in all games.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Steam also probably had drop in revenue (they didn't provide that info in their Year in review) so I wouldn't latch on that -2%.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's a hot take but 2% decrease doesn't seem that crazy when most of the industry is correcting from the highs of 2020/2021. Consumer spending in games plummeted last year on all platforms that report it.

Tracking active users is valuable on its own, but some of our most popular games are free, so we also pay close attention to new purchasers—people spending money on Steam for the very first time. Those folks showed up in droves during 2022, averaging a staggering
83,000 new first-time purchasers every day of the year.

This is plummeting?

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say that their -2% spending YOY is painful but in retrospect, given the absurd boost the pandemic gave to all digital entertainment services in 2021, it's very possible that other platforms also saw a dip in user spending going from 2021 > 2022. FWIW, I don't think Valve gave a number for spending YOY. We do know that Steam is breaking records for MAU left and right though, so maybe not.

For comparison, I can scroll through my ~800 Steam games in grid view from a cold boot no problem.
They had a significant performance improvement just very recently. Curious to see what difference it would make for you.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I think that those are pretty good results and self publishing becoming available is good news for everyone. The 18% increase in third-party revenue despite the very few exclusives that the store had in 2022 shows that the whole exclusives thing was a waste of time and money in my opinion.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
steam looks bloated. like it was designed by computer nerds in the early 2000s.
As a non-PC gamer who barely touches any of these launchers, this is my reaction to Steam as well.

I think part of it is being "old" too. Discord gives me an extremely similar sense of confusion and sense that my software navigation instincts aren't applicable. I'm sure I could learn it, but that feeling of not being quickly intuitive just puts me off.

cyress8

Avenger

Stutter in you launcher to go with the stutter in your games.