• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Corporate fanboyism is not exclusive to console warriors sadly

why would refusing to buy from EGS right now be corporate fanboyism? I for example, won't buy any game on EGS right now, because it doesn't support so many options I like using easily, and the service demonstrably isn't evolving quickly at all to extend the value of what people already own.
There are tons of games releasing, and I can't afford them all, this is reason enough for me to leave these games behind till they are available on better services with greater utility, and get other games that I am also interested in.
Steam in particular keeps extending the value of games I own there, supports so many essential feature off the bat, so yeah it remains my preferred place to buy right now.
If Epic actually start to have at least the utility I need, and compete at that level making owning a game there more worthwhile, I'll be right there, but it isn't, and is doing so consistently

But this is apparently platform wars / "corporate fanboyism", when it seems reasonable justification?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that risk with any publishing deal long term if the game doesn't sell well? However you often don't keep the IP nor get as good of a profit split if the publisher paid for all the costs, right?
Indeed, but with one clause. Most publishing deals I've heard of do pay you even if the game doesn't recoup costs (I'm sure there's deals I haven't heard of with this clause). That's the biggest stinger here, but I also get why it exists with everything else, because every other part of the deal is pretty appealing. In most publishing deals I'm aware of, you still get a percentage of profits before the game hits even. With this kinda' deal, you basically have to be secure enough and ready that you'll probably be going several months with no income post-release. Potentially ever if it's that big of a bomba.

That's the main point I'm trying to make, I get the big clause in that aspect of the deal. I don't want to understate how amazing a deal this is though, it is an amazing deal and I absolutely can see why all three developers took it, it's an amazing opportunity. But I also get why someone might refuse the deal is what I'm saying.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I think this is great. Epic is redeploying their profits from Fortnite in a multitude of interesting ways that I think will ultimately benefit the games industry over a 1-3 year horizon.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
I'm glad somebody threw some money at Remedy after Control and that said money is for multiplatform releases rather than exclusive.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Indeed, but with one clause. Most publishing deals I've heard of do pay you even if the game doesn't recoup costs. That's the biggest stinger here, but I also get why it exists with everything else, because every other part of the deal is pretty appealing. In most publishing deals I'm aware of, you still get a percentage of profits before the game hits even. With this kinda' deal, you basically have to be secure enough and ready that you'll probably be going several months with no income post-release. Potentially ever if it's that big of a bomba.

That's the main point I'm trying to make, I get the big clause in that aspect of the deal.
Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying. That makes more sense.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Guess I'll just wait a year extra for them. Neat.
I don't think these games will ever come to Steam.

Jan 21, 2019

venturebeat.com

Epic Games will publish new titles from the makers of The Last Guardian, Limbo, and Control

Epic Games will publish new games from Gen Design (maker of The Last Guardian), Playdead (Inside, Limbo), and Remedy Entertainment (Control).

Don't know how you stand on the whole epic store thing but this sounds absolutely awesome. Especially devs having full creative control and owning their own IP.

Man, platform honeymoons are awesome. But I wonder what their approach will be once their are fully established like Steam is.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Indeed, but with one clause. Most publishing deals I've heard of do pay you even if the game doesn't recoup costs. That's the biggest stinger here, but I also get why it exists with everything else, because every other part of the deal is pretty appealing. In most publishing deals I'm aware of, you still get a percentage of profits before the game hits even. With this kinda' deal, you basically have to be secure enough and ready that you'll probably be going several months with no income post-release. Potentially ever if it's that big of a bomba.

That's the main point I'm trying to make, I get the big clause in that aspect of the deal.

From what i remember reading around the internet you usually get lower % of profits until publisher costs are recouped and then you get higher % after that.

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if Play Dead will use/is using UE4 for their next game instead of Unity? I would assume Remedy is sticking with their engine regardless.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Huge loss for Sony & Valve..
Huge gain for most players outside of Playstation ecosystems.

Is it though? This has been said consistently since Epic started a push to restrict competition between the "multistore world" that already existed to give people reasons to buy there. It's had near zero affect, because Steam remains ridiculously competitive and filled with great games. They've been as successful and iterative as always

Meanwhile for PlayStation, this means literally nothing - the games will still release there

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
From what i remember reading around the internet you usually get lower % of profits until publisher costs are recouped and then you get higher % after that.
Yes, most publishing deals you get a lower percentage cut of sales until cost is recouped. In this deal you get no profit until dev cost is recouped. It's a small thing on paper, but I also get that can be a huge qualm for certain studios. I don't want to understate how big a deal this is for creative types, this is an amazing deal and I get why the devs took it, but I also can see that dependently this could lead to a rocky spot once the game is released since they're not seeing profit until dev cost is met. But I also get why it's there, because essentially EPIC is handing over full creative freedom and covering dev cost, so they expect you to give back what they spent on you. A great deal still though.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
In any case, this is a far better route than what they used to be. Still wont be enough to make me use their storefront, but baby steps.

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
Oh wow. Sony is really going to let Ueda going multiplatform? Well good for all these studios
I feel like many people don't realize that Ueda left Sony over eight years ago. He stayed on to finish TLG under contract, not active employment. His options for future work have been wide open.

I'm thrilled that another Ueda game is coming.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I said gain , since their games werent available outside of Playstation before , obviously there wont be anything changing for Playstation players . It's just rather Sony company itself that lost the talent
That happened long ago since genDESIGN been independent for a good while now, this is nothing new.
But this publishing deal is good for everyone since more people get a chance to play these upcoming games now on more platforms.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
For the record I think it's an amazing deal, but like any deal there's some clauses to it. But I also understand why for example, everyone who might be offered the deal might not take it as well.

this deal makes the studios completely dependent on Epic.
If you don't get any money until Epic has recouped the costs, you have zero money available for ANYTHING.
- if the studio doesn't have a publishing deal after releasing their game, they would have to close down immediately.
- What happens if they don't have a new game in the drawer that they can work on immediately? Does Epic pay them for the time where they try to design a new game?
- What happens when the game they are working on doesn't pan out and they have to shelve it?
- when is the work Epic pays them for the game considered finished? With release? What happens to post-release patches, is this work included?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Dang could be a loss for some people who are fans of those franchises.

I'm not a particularly interested in any of those devs games any more than others though

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Bunch of hot takes in here from people who've never signed a publishing deal.

Can you please share an example of a typical game publishing deal? I know nothing about this topic and I would appreciate any insight. To me Epic' deal sounds very good since the studios retains the rights to the IP and can essentially develop the game risk-free (if it flops Epic takes the hit).

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, most publishing deals you get a lower percentage cut of sales until cost is recouped. In this deal you get no profit until dev cost is recouped. It's a small thing on paper, but I also get that can be a huge qualm for certain studios. I don't want to understate how big a deal this is for creative types, this is an amazing deal and I get why the devs took it, but I also can see that dependently this could lead to a rocky spot once the game is released since they're not seeing profit until dev cost is met. But I also get why it's there, because essentially EPIC is handing over full creative freedom and covering dev cost, so they expect you to give back what they spent on you. A great deal still though.

That is why i mentioned Control situation. It took them some time to reach that recoup point. And Remedy is company that lives from deal to deal. That is not how i would be conformable running company. Especially if sales after recoup are not great, 50% of low amount of sales is still bad.

May 25, 2019
London
I have nothing against deals like this but from business perspective for me personally i couldn't run company from deal to deal. What if they don't land new deal after those 3 years for example what then? Running company is not easy, especially one that can't sustain itself without outside help.

This is essentially the life Remedy has chosen as an independent developer. I agree with you, I don't have the stomach for it, but some company cultures really value that freedom

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like many people don't realize that Ueda left Sony over eight years ago. He stayed on to finish TLG under contract, not active employment. His options for future work have been wide open.

I'm thrilled that another Ueda game is coming.
No, I get that. I'm just surprised they didn't secure it with their funding, a la Kojima with DS. I know the two aren't the same, I just thought they'd throw some money at him and keep it exclusive. Doesn't matter to me, I'll play it anywhere, just figured it wouldn't cost that much to do so. His new title has been in production since 2017-18 i think, with the teaser going up end of 2018, so hopefully its relatively close to release (as in by 2022 plz)

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Better than Epic's usual strategy in that these games aren't suddenly removed from Steam. Instead they'll probably never appear on Steam, which is worse.
Obviously these studios getting signed is preferable to them not getting work and these games never existing at all, but who knows if that would've been the case. Might've found another publisher.

Bittersweet, but ultimately I'm bummed out by Epic's fuckery. I've liked Remedy's games a lot. Will I ever buy this Epic one? I don't know. So that sucks.
Let's hope Epic gets its shit together then.

Last edited:

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
At least Epic will actually take on the risks of managing developers and their games as a publisher instead of just throwing some money at the wall and then wiping their hands clean. Even if this situation might be more undesirable for my gaming habits due to likely longer exclusivity, I might prefer it to last minute backroom deals.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I sill won´t buy or even install anything from EGSs past, present or future, but I have no problem with this.

I wonder if Epic is changing strategies, and are serious on becoming a publisher, if so, if anything behind they label hits Steam, EGS will probably just be Epic´s Rockstar Launcher, every 3rd Party will sell a EGS key, but the game will be sold everywhere.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Ueda working with Epic makes me really happy. My biggest fear for genDESIGN after Ueda parted ways with Sony was that no other publishers would want to fund his games with quite the same production values, which are not AAA, but easily way above typical "indie" budgets.

But with Epic, they're probably getting MORE money.

I can't wait.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
They were rumored to acquire Remedy and Gen Studio is along with them since PS1 days. I mean its one reason less to buy their next consoles I sure know people bought PS3 and 4 to play Last Guardian lol

True but after the debacle of The Last Guardian's development are we sure Sony would have gone back to that well anyway? Maybe that's part of how this deal came to be.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Honestly good on Epic for reaching out to those studios without buying them out or anything, this kind of funding is a win win for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.