• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I'm saying is that they're just exclusively eating Chipotle, McDonald's, and Domino's when there's a whole world of food out there. Nothing wrong with eating Chipotle, but you should try to expand your palette beyond that.

Sorry you got so rustled, "bro."
Yeah, you were gatekeeping. No need for clarification really. 🤷

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Regardless of epic helping these devs publishing games, its still shitty for a lot of PC gamers...why? because now we're forced to use epic games store and the client, should be choose to buy it on PC. It can be fucking star citizen or mass effect and I'll still not use that piece of shit launcher. Those whole endeavor is great but the one behind it is the problem for me.

More games that will sell like shit on PC.
Clearly Remedy doesnt give a crap if the game sells or not as long it gets guaranteed bucks from exclusive deals.

Yeah after this deal iam done supporting Remedy as a fan at all, after Control and QB, I was willing to give them another chance with them possibly making a game thats not a cinematic Sci-Fi game but after their initial egs exclusive deal for control with epic and now this, iam 100% done with that fucking studio. They always manage to fuck up their PC releases whenever they're involved, happened with Alan Wake, Control and now this. They can take Tim sweeny's money all they want, fuck em idc about em anymore. This is just me speaking as a fan of em and not as a normal customer.

As for for the whole publishing deal thingy... Its simple really, I won't be supporting these devs who get in bed with epic. Fuck these deals because Epic games are the problem, if it was any other publisher I'd let it slide. Games exclusive to egs are the same as not being on PC.

Yeah I'm not a fan of EGS but Epic is definitely a better alternative than Sony, even if Sony has started to toy around with PC gaming they outright said that PC versions wouldn't arrive day 1.

Same.

They're not snatching away Steam games at the last minute. I'd be comfortable buying the next playdead and remedy games on epic. I'd rather get them on steam, but I understand why that's not happening (and I'm ok with it).

All epic cares is moneyhatting or making exclusive games and still not putting a priority in improving their main thing which is the EGS. Also Whether its a publishing deal or moneyhatting a multiplat they involve exclusivity in PC gaming. Its a fucking curse. Exclusivity is not welcome in PC gaming because its the opposite of what it stands for. Epic always have done exclusivity stuff in bad faith and harm the PC platform.

Steam isn't a platform, It's a store. PC/windows is the platform.

Its a Digital Content Platform. Idk whether you bothered to check it out fully. It was a proper digital storefront and it has a PC client which is just not there for 'launching games' but it supports inhome streaming of steam games, it has its own broadcasting system where steam users can stream their games and other can watch em. It has its own marketplace for in-game items, has its own native controller support system called Steam Input. It also has a deep backend where developers can upload steam games and make changes to them, its a whole backend database which developers can make use of.

When you have a PC client of an online store with such a vast collection of features and resources, how is it just a store? More like Steam has a storefront and a launcher but sure it started as a PC download client for half life 2 and valve games and then slowly started rolling out their storefront and from there kept adding features to where it is now.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah but I just assumed they'd give him funding for his next game after TLG. Oh well, hopefully it continues in that vein, I'll play it wherever it lands.
Well I mean TLG took almost a decade to finish and didn't sell very well so who knows if they're even on good terms

And I think Ueda said he wanted to make a multi platform game anyway

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not bad for Epic, release the game on epic store and consoles, year later on steam and they still get money while bringing more people to their store

Plus they might have more power because they are publishing games now.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Huge loss for Sony & Valve..
Huge gain for most players outside of Playstation ecosystems.

giphy.gif

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just gave you that same level of response that you gave to me.

happy to end this inane conversation, thanks for your valuable input
Yeah, you're right, I should've went into more detail on why I think it's a terrible analogy but realized I didn't care so I decided to end it on my part. I should've initially replied with a more detailed response. My bad.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
GenDesign came up with the concept. Even their website says they are a concept studio. Japan Studio was the team developing the game.
I was clarifying which studio Epic announced they're publishing for. When they say they are publishing the next game(s) from the studio behind The Last Guardian, they are not talking about Sony's Japan Studio. They are talking about GenDesign.

Neural Network

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2020
True but after the debacle of The Last Guardian's development are we sure Sony would have gone back to that well anyway? Maybe that's part of how this deal came to be.
I mean sure but Last Guardian is still highly successful title from critics side . And they marketed to hell during their E3 presentation and Holiday season.
But I guess Sony shown interest to transition itself from funding quirky AA games along with AAA to really big AAAA titles such as Last of Us and Spider-Man. PS3 days and early PS4 days Sony is really gone i believe.

Things like Rain,Twisted Metal , Heavy Rain , Last Guardian, Motorstorm etc wont be priority for them since they are niche audiences compared to and still costs them money.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
This is all I wanted then to do to begin with rather than paying developers to basically release everywhere that isn't Steam for some period of time.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
1 year EGS exclusivity meant a 1 year wait for me to play the game. Permanent Epic exclusivity means they'll never see my money ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Steam isn't a platform, It's a store. PC/windows is the platform.

Not sure of the definitions you want to use, but Steam does so much more than even the console platforms, consistently iterating on and creating greater utility, and extending the value of games people own there. Not bad for just a "store"

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Glad that more people get to play the next Ueda game and that I don't have to wait for the next PlayDead game to be done with it's timed Xbox exclusivity. Also hopefully this means Remedy gets more high budget work.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's pretty hard to have a better deal, I'm so glad the industry continues to support Remedy in particular.

I'm really happy for them.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
This is essentially the life Remedy has chosen as an independent developer. I agree with you, I don't have the stomach for it, but some company cultures really value that freedom

Remedy is in country that has good employment laws so that is why they kinda can do this in a way. But i still wouldn't be able to run company with like 300 people without significant profit from each project. And i don't agree that independent studios need to go this way, look for example Techland and how big they grew up (they even are publisher now).

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Yooooooo, I cannot wait to see what genDesign is up to. The Last Guardian, SoTC, and Ico are some of my favorite games of all time. I am glad more people get to play their fantastic work :)

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
this deal makes the studios completely dependent on Epic.
If you don't get any money until Epic has recouped the costs, you have zero money available for ANYTHING.
- if the studio doesn't have a publishing deal after releasing their game, they would have to close down immediately.
- What happens if they don't have a new game in the drawer that they can work on immediately? Does Epic pay them for the time where they try to design a new game?
- What happens when the game they are working on doesn't pan out and they have to shelve it?
- when is the work Epic pays them for the game considered finished? With release? What happens to post-release patches, is this work included?
I doubt you're going to get a better deal from many other publishers tbh. They'd either want ip ownership, or a stake in the developer. Which publishers do you think are offering multi-game publishing deals to developers the size of Remedy etc, without any concern for how much revenue the games generate?

Like I'm sure they could have got more stability out of say, getting acquired by Microsoft, but that's a decision that you can't undo, and a deal you can't walk away from for future projects.

We'll see how it pans out. I don't like how Epic operate EGS at all, but I don't think that means that this is a bad deal for the developers.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Indeed, but with one clause. Most publishing deals I've heard of do pay you even if the game doesn't recoup costs (I'm sure there's deals I haven't heard of with this clause). That's the biggest stinger here, but I also get why it exists with everything else, because every other part of the deal is pretty appealing. In most publishing deals I'm aware of, you still get a percentage of profits before the game hits even. With this kinda' deal, you basically have to be secure enough and ready that you'll probably be going several months with no income post-release. Potentially ever if it's that big of a bomba.

That's the main point I'm trying to make, I get the big clause in that aspect of the deal. I don't want to understate how amazing a deal this is though, it is an amazing deal and I absolutely can see why all three developers took it, it's an amazing opportunity. But I also get why someone might refuse the deal is what I'm saying.
Yes, most publishing deals you get a lower percentage cut of sales until cost is recouped. In this deal you get no profit until dev cost is recouped. It's a small thing on paper, but I also get that can be a huge qualm for certain studios. I don't want to understate how big a deal this is for creative types, this is an amazing deal and I get why the devs took it, but I also can see that dependently this could lead to a rocky spot once the game is released since they're not seeing profit until dev cost is met. But I also get why it's there, because essentially EPIC is handing over full creative freedom and covering dev cost, so they expect you to give back what they spent on you. A great deal still though.

Thank you for these posts, there were very informative.

I don't think these games will ever come to Steam.

I disagree. I don't think developers would sign permanent distribution deals when they have a huge stake in how the game performs on the market.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People: Epic must be running out of money, they aren't buying exclusivities anymore lool

Epic: You just activated my trap card

This is good news, Gen Design deserves more money to make more games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Remedy on the financial security. Bummed it's with a shitty company like Epic and not Sony, but I'm glad Sam can keep making games.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
"Multiplatform" but Epic exclusives, right? Ew.

Can always buy on Playstation I guess. I hope Remedy makes Alan Wake 2 now.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I doubt you're going to get a better deal from many other publishers tbh. They'd either want ip ownership, or a stake in the developer. Which publishers do you think are offering multi-game publishing deals to developers the size of Remedy etc, without any concern for how much revenue the games generate?

Like I'm sure they could have got more stability out of say, getting acquired by Microsoft, but that's a decision that you can't undo, and a deal you can't walk away from for future projects.

We'll see how it pans out. I don't like how Epic operate EGS at all, but I don't think that means that this is a bad deal for the developers.

What does the IP matter if you are broke after finishing the game? And Remedy can't walk away from Epic either, because they would be bankrupt unless they have a mega-success that recoups Epic's cost on Day1 and gives Remedy money.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
1 year EGS exclusivity meant a 1 year wait for me to play the game. Permanent Epic exclusivity means they'll never see my money ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Same if that's what happens here (though some outlets suggest otherwise). For me, all exclusivity does is rule out a game if it is on this level of poorer service, and the other game I was looking at on a preferable service gets bought instead. Generally if my experience with a service is bad, I've steered away from it. Much like the shitty experience my friends and I had with BF3 on origin, led to veering away from games using that client.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Yeah after this deal iam done supporting Remedy as a fan at all, after Control and QB, I was willing to give them another chance with them possibly making a game thats not a cinematic Sci-Fi game but after their initial egs exclusive deal for control with epic and now this, iam 100% done with that fucking studio.
I haven't bought any EGS-exclusive games even after they hit steam, and I don't plan to.

I have an RTX 2080ti but I don't need to play Metro or Control that bad. They didn't really even look that fun tbh, the ray tracing is the only reason i would have thought about buying them.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the clause of no additional post-release money until the game breaks even is a potential issue, especially considering that they're probably going to be earning very little money from PC gamers.

Of course, much like Stadia's acquisitions/openings, I don't it would be safe to assume the Epic Games Store will be around in the 3+ years it'll take for these deals to bear fruit.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't bought any EGS-exclusive games even after they hit steam, and I don't plan to.

I have an RTX 2080ti but I don't need to play Metro or Control that bad. They didn't really even look that fun tbh, the ray tracing is the only reason i would have thought about buying them.

Control and Outer Wilds are amazing and very fun gameplay-wise. Some of the best sci-fi games I've ever played actually.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Sounds like a great partnership! wish them all the best, and look forward to playing all the games on next-gen

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
So I assume that, as a 3rd party publisher, Epic will refuse to give the 30% cut to Microsoft and Sony, right? Right? After all, it's highly unfair to the developers....

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I like the primitive child like antagonizing by some. They know who they are.

As if playing this on more than one platform is a bad thing.

THIS IS YUUUUUGE

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Same probably. I'd have been fine with this in a vacuum, I'd not care and buy the games there just like how I have on Origin or Uplay. It's the months of Tim Sweeney acting like he's the saviour of gaming and spreading FUD against his rivals that has put me off the entire company, combined with what they did to my Shenmue backing which led to me not even taking games from them for free. it would have to be a damn fine game for me to go to Epic Store for anything now.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
So I assume that, as a 3rd party publisher, Epic will refuse to give the 30% cut to Microsoft and Sony, right? Right? After all, it's highly unfair to the developers....

Weird to see some of you try to use this as a 'gotcha' moment when Epic already pays the 30% tax on Fortnite DLC on Xbox, PlayStation and iOS Appstore.

They've made it clear they'll grudgingly Accept this on closed garden storefronts.

PC and Android are where they're fighting that battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.