• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome, and having Gendesign games on PC is pretty cool, even if it's epic store exclusive it's still on PC which is just so much better than playing the same game on console so I'm happy.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
DAMN, what an incredible lineup of developers to announce this. They are three very distinct, very creative studios. Congrats to them, this seems like a perfect deal.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly some great gets. I also prefer this approach over them trying to swipe up games last second already announced to be coming elsewhere.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
megaton4tk5h.gif

Epic is not joking around.

Absolutely great terms for the developers.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
If the games won't be coming to Steam I hope they at least are on MS store. Couple of euros for gamepass seems like a great price for something that isn't on Steam.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Three studios who've all made games I've absolutely loved in the past - good job, Epic!

At least this likely means no timed Sony exclusivity for Remedy's future games.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
If Epic is underwriting all the risks and burdens of publishing games AND lets the devs keep the IP rights....

I'm okay with that. That's putting the Fortnite money to use for good.

Now, if they'd just let me pay in CAD on the EGS.... and preferrably get achievements and stuff like that figured out...

But overall, this is the good kind of news. And it's a much better way to become a storefront than moneyhatting existing games as exclusives.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, after reading the deal... nothing until Epic makes up all the money back? Thats not that good of a deal (even if they pay 100% of the costs of the game).

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Or it means Control sold very poorly, and the vast bulk of their revenue for the game came from Epic's exclusivity deal. Hence why they'd do it again
they shouldn't, at least not whilst the consoles take such a large cut.
More games that will sell like shit on PC.
Clearly Remedy doesnt give a crap if the game sells or not as long it gets guaranteed bucks from exclusive deals.

Developers retain 100% of all intellectual property and full creative control of their work. Epic Games Publishing will cover up to 100% of development costs, from developer salaries to go-to-market expenses such as quality assurance, localization, marketing, and all publishing costs.

It will have 50-50 profit sharing. Epic said developers will earn a fair share for their work. Once costs are recouped, developers earn at least 50% of all profits.

It makes life actually alittle easier if you know what you are doing.
Since Epic will fund the game, you can budget how much you are gonna spend on it knowing or atleast guessing how much you will be able to sell and forecast when/if you will make a profit. With no deep pressure from the publisher since you are dictating a good portion of whats going on.

It is dangerous, but again with clever management its actually brilliant, a studio can say we know we only need 2 million to develop this game, we can sell enough "break even" then from there its a direct 50/50 split for profit.....but said planning stage isnt as much of a struggle because you know you have Epic bankrolling you.

Reading Jason Schriers book made me really feel for independent developers in the early chapters.....so these smaller companies having someone to bankroll them and handle go-to-market expenses must be a huge weight off their shoulders during development atleast.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Looking forward to being charged $90-$100 for these games because Epic absolutely refuses to acknowledge Canada and CAD support for their shitty store.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I've said since the beginning if Epic wanted to fund and publish games I have no problem with them locking said games to their own store. It was the moneyhatting games to keep them off of Steam and other stores (especially at the last minute) that I had an issue with. That said, I still wouldn't be against these games being sold on other stores. :P

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
lol at people that insisted Sony would fund Ueda again.

Good for Epic for supporting this kind of games.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
That`s actually a good thing to do with all that Fortnite money. Congrats to the developers! Can`t wait for the next games from Remedy and Playdead.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i just want playdead's next game to be on switch also. what are the chances of that?
would be cool to have ueda's game on switch also, but i'm not too hopeful.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
And here I was looking forward to the next Playdead game.

Oh well, can't blame anyone for getting that money.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As long as Epic continues to build out their features on their ecosystem I'm good. But they have a ways to go.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, after reading the deal... nothing until Epic makes up all the money back? Thats not that good of a deal (even if they pay 100% of the costs of the game).
I'm not sure we should be calling this a bad deal when we don't know what other publisher deals are like. This is likely true of other publisher deals as well.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Power move. Can't complain about it being exclusive to their service if they're straight up funding the title

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
It's debatable. These three devs obviously wouldn't have taken the deal unless they saw the potential in it.

The deal seems to be that EPIC fully funds development, and I'm assuming it has to come to the EPIC Store, but they get to keep full intellectual property rights of their work and get full creative control, but when it releases the developer doesn't get anymore money until the cost it took to develop is recouped and then past that all profits are 50/50 (which is a better split than most publishing deals).

Honestly, I get the appeal of it. It's not a deal all would like and there's definitely some huge clauses to it, but honestly depending on the developer I can see this being an appealing deal to them. Actually the three developers that took it don't surprise me at all with what the deal itself presents.

Status
Not open for further replies.