Epic Games has acquired Rocket League developer Psyonix [Up: No Announced Plans to Stop Selling Rocket League on Steam] [Read Staff Post & Threadmark]

Moirayn

Nov 7, 2018
Never got into Rocket League. As long as they remain relatively autonomous & Epic doesn't institute a culture of crunch like we've seen reported on for Fortnite then more power to the owners of Psyonix. I guess our future is Epic buying up anything that can gain them market share in the PC storefront space, including devs of popular games.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
100%. I think the fact that we’re the gaming-enthusiast minority gets forgotten often on Era.
Non enthusiasts just want their game to work right the first time. They have no patience for the type of issues that enthusiasts already understand or can easily work their way through.

If this is done poorly even non-enthusiasts are going to grabbing their pitchforks. EGS is buggier than Steam at the moment, and It remains to be seen if Rocket League will continue to be updated on Steam or if friends on EGS and Steam can still play with each other.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Being owned by Epic can only be a good thing, right?

That's why People Can Fly bought back their independence?

Dec 30, 2018
Because as is currently being demonstrated on the Rocket League store page, they can be used to launch huge anger & rage campaigns by niche portions of the audience that are often completely irrelevant to the question user reviews are intended to answer.

They're the comments section of online commerce, only more easily manipulated and given a greater sense of importance.
What you call "anger and rage" I call consumers using the only real avenue available to them that can cause damage to a developer to show their disgust for their business practices.

You might not like it but the alternative is what Epic, the pubs and seemingly the devs want, which is making it so consumers no longer have a voice and they can get away with whatever they like!

Tim Sweeney is a liar, a hypocrite and is quite frankly on a personal mission to put steam out of business at this point, we are talking about a billionaire using his wealth to benefit him and screw the consumers and remove choice and voice from them.

If people can't see why that's an issue then I really don't know what to say.

BronsonLee

it me
Oct 24, 2017
So is Valve gonna counter or nah? Steam is only gonna have Japanese games at this point, until Epic bribe Capcom & Square, which i wouldn't be surprised.
I don't really see a really great avenue for Valve to counter here to be honest, if they get down in the mud they don't really have the money to win this out

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
It's like some of you people keep deliberatly ignoring that EGS is not available in every country and that EGS does not support most of the payment methods Steam does, which means EGS is unavailable for many many users.
which countries isn't it available in? are there any in particular which seem super dumb not to be available in?

considering how much of steams purchases come from non-standard payment sources it seems absolutely fair that egs should be able to accept those payment sources too.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how this benefits Psyonix? They were a small studio making tons of money (last I'd heard). That makes me think Epic threw so much money at them they couldn't refuse.

Anyway, I just hope this doesn't change Rocket League too much. It's easily my most played game of all time by a wide margin.

Oct 25, 2017
What's the problem? Most people on here seemed fine with Microsoft buying developers up. How's this any different?

Congrats to Psyonix all the same. Good result for them for sure.
That Microsoft didn't retroactively remove Mojang and Obsidian's already released games like Minecraft and Pillars of Eternity from other platforms while Epic is going out of its way to remove Rocket League from Steam, for a start. That's a pretty key difference in how the two were handled.

Sothen

Dec 15, 2017
For comparison's sake, you can still buy Mass Effect 1 and 2 on Steam even though EA has been selling their games on Origin for many years.

If there was any doubt before that Epic were looking to cut off Steam before, it's obvious now.

Ryna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Really?? All I see from nin fans is that they are thankful not having achievement system and they can play through the game without worrying about silly virtual trophies.
I see the opposite. The only place I see people bitching about achievements is this board. People here have a serious hate boner for achievements.

Nzyme32

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And it has far more dev time than any other, it was just as bad as any other the first couple years. In fact, it was a way though pill to swallow cause it made DRM a standard on PC.
If anything, the PC gaming industry has been extremely late in trying to compete with them and EPIC is trying to catch up in the most aggresive way possible.
Epic's store and even its timeframe for implementing the most basic features is over a year - for features steam had when it launched - when I was on fucking dial up connection.
Are you seriously dumb enough to push the narative that today is 2003/2004, and there were plenty of examples tools and infrastructure for Valve compared to Epic now? And all that in consideration of Epic and its infrastructure now vs Valve in 2003/2004?!
Outright idiocy - especially noting many other stores have launched with better feature set, customer facing tools and implementation.

Oct 25, 2017
Epic: we are buying exclusivities, studios and everything basically.
Valve: Well... We have a VR 1k device with no games from us...

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I can't even be mad at this, because it's just so ridiculous I can only laugh. But still, fuck this. It's so stupid.
Epic: we are buying exclusivities, studios and everything basically.
Valve: Well... We have a VR 1k device with no games from us...
What, I remember seeing a thread that they confirmed games for the VR already? Or did I misread something. And it's not super long ago when they acquired Campo Santo.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
There's nothing Valve can do other than start doing the same shitty practices and why would I want that?
Eh, the whole good guy mentality in the video game industry will just get you the Ned Stark treatment in the end, at the very least they should pull a partnership with someone like Capcom, Microsoft did it & secured Capcom games for Games for Windows Live, which sucked but that's besides the point.
Epic saw how big DMCV, MHW & RE2 were on Steam, they will make a move sooner or later.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
which countries isn't it available in? are there any in particular which seem super dumb not to be available in?
China
considering how much of steams purchases come from non-standard payment sources it seems absolutely fair that egs should be able to accept those payment sources too.
They can but those payment options are expensive. Steam eats the extra costs with their cut, Epic doesn't have that option and those payment options would end up passing the cost onto the customer.

Mushroomer25

Oct 25, 2017
What you call "anger and rage" I call consumers using the only real avenue available to them that can cause damage to a developer to show their disgust for their business practices.

You might not like it but the alternative is what Epic, the pubs and seemingly the devs want, which is making it so consumers no longer have a voice and they can get away with whatever they like!

Tim Sweeney is a liar, a hypocrite and is quite frankly on a personal mission to put steam out of business at this point, we are talking about a billionaire using his wealth to benefit him and screw the consumers and remove choice and voice from them.

If people can't see why that's an issue then I really don't know what to say.
You're literally voicing your opinion right now in a format that isn't the review page for the game.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
And it has far more dev time than any other, it was just as bad as any other the first couple years. In fact, it was a way though pill to swallow cause it made DRM a standard on PC.
If anything, the PC gaming industry has been extremely late in trying to compete with them and EPIC is trying to catch up in the most aggresive way possible.

This isn't making a single slight of sense. When did you thought it made sense to compare a platform in 2004 and a platform in 2019 ?
Yeah, Steam was as bad in 2004. That was fuckin 15 years ago. A lot of the features they didn't have simply didn't exist elsewhere. Steam in 2004 was lacking features that weren't a standard or even existing anywhere else in the gaming industry.
EGS in 2019 is lacking features that are standards since 10 years ago. Make some sense please.

Wolfman

Oct 27, 2017
That Microsoft didn't retroactively remove Mojang and Obsidian's already released games like Minecraft and Pillars of Eternity from other platforms while Epic is going out of its way to remove Rocket League from Steam, for a start. That's a pretty key difference in how the two were handled.
Yeah, fair point on that score at least.

Wow.

Psyonix, too, of all fucking companies. Once the champions of cross-platform play, now taking money to pull out of one platform and onto a rival's inferior one. That's just...really shameful and disheartening to see.

PC players are going to lose so much with this, too. Aside from the obvious setbacks like a fractured community and no Linux version, there'll also be no Steam Workshop/Cloud/cards/stats, or pretty much anything else that Steam brings to the table. Not to mention they're getting reviewbombed to hell and back on Steam itself. Was it worth it, Psyonix?