• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This hits me personally very hard. Rocket League is my favourite game and I've played it for years. I also don't care for the Epic store whatsoever. Will I be able to buy coming dlc on steam? Likely not. This is just another shitty move from Epic and I do not appreciate it whatsoever. Taking a long released game off a storefront is not something I was expecting and I do not like it. God knows what it means for the future of its online services with Steam copies. Ugh. I didn't care too much before about Epic except intellectually, but now it's personal.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not sane competition though. That's litterally fuckin over customer choice with dollar power.
that's competition though.

the idea that competition is good for the end customer is a weird libertarian idea that gets floated around way too much. most competition is shit like this, a big guy with deep pockets muscling their way into a market to force a worse product on people.

the problem is capitalism.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Where did I talk about Microsoft's store ? Are you even reading what I'm posting ? Two times in a row you're talking about things I didn't even mention !!
I didn't mention Microsoft Store and Hellblade. I mentionned Microsoft, despite buying Ninja Theory, didn't removed Hellblade from PS4 and didn't halt the Switch developpement !
I didn't mention Steam and Minecraft either but Minecraft still being on Switch and PS4 despite MS buying Minecraft.

I mentionned Steam/Valve also nbot removing Firewatch from GOG neither from consoles.

Learn to read please.
I don't blame Epic for releasing their own games on their own store exclusively. I blame them for being the only actor removing a game from other services after buying out the IP.
Was Half-Life on GOG and EGS then removed ? No ? Then please start making sense.
You mean like how Team Fortress, DoTA and other popular mods became « valve properties » once the team got bought out and killed by default?

Are you complaining about Valve's exclusive deals with Microsoft and Bethesda?

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't ready for Epic to do this, I thought they were just going to rely on limited time exclusives. But I think I actually prefer them acquiring studios and developing new games from ground up with full backing, but I hate the move of removing an already released game from Steam. From a platform that even made Psyonix survive to begin with. That seems dirty and unnecessary.
Buying Psyonix, having them develop Rocket League 2 and then having that as an Epic Games exclusive would be totally fair game and a good thing.

Removing it from Steam is just petty and clearly shows Epic doesn't give a shit about customers having options. They just want to fully control prices on games and they can fuck right off.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
You mean like how Team Fortress, DoTA and other popular mods became « valve properties » once the team got bought out and killed by default?

Tell me, were Team Fortress, DOTA and other popular mods removed from sale on other services

Valve's exclusive deals with Microsoft and Bethesda ? What are you talking about ?

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i am not poor not problem . Rather not support this bullshit decisions by shitty ass company and its ceo. Also hate his comments on LINUX platform . I actually dislike anyone throws bone at LINUX so this adds. Also very disappointed in psyonix. Though gamers always remember

I'd argue gamers have the absolute shortest memory about most things in the industry.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I disagree with your point about Balkanization. If anything, these recent deals incentivize cross-platform support—the Apple one especially, as it's getting a lot of studios who normally wouldn't care about mobile development adapting their pipeline for mobile ports.
The problem is that I am also expecting responses from Sony, Microsoft and Google, and I would expect them to be more restrictive on the platforms supported. Heck, I suspect both Google and Apple will be having a bunch of games that are exclusive to their respective subscriptions, never mind platform-exclusivity.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Posting my comment from the PC thread:
Well, I always said if Epic owned the developers, I wouldn't have a problem with the games they funded being exclusive on EGS. I'm guessing enough people have purchased Rocket League on Steam by now that it won't be too big of a deal, but I'm sure if there was any sort of Rocket League 2 in the works, it will now be exclusive on EGS.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Why isn't valve ever counter acting any of this with their own purchases?

It's like they are just sitting and watching and letting epic take eveything
Valve does not need to buy games or studios. They only need to make policy changes, that you can't take a game already released on Steam from the store to another one. So you can still take a game off, if your license runs out, but not solely to put it on a different one.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a new precedent that is alarming. EGS is slowly moving the goal posts. Let's say 5 years down the road EGS has achieved market dominance and raises game prices to $100. What do we do as consumers? Just not buy the games. Sure that's how it works. But it sucks for us.

Lets play this game.

EGS achieves market dominance. As a result, they decide to raise the prices on video games to $100. Nobody buys the games on EGS because they are now too expensive. EGS loses money. A lot of money. The developer loses money. The publisher loses money. Just about everyone involved loses so much money that people start being laid off, and then you have a domino affect that a massive flop starts.

That leads EGS to listing games at $100 and not selling very many. And the developers behind them can't pay their light bill. So how do they remedy this? Well either the exclusivity with Epic covers them entirely, or they pull out and sell their game *checks notes* on another platform where people will buy their game.

Like. These scenarios don't exist in the realm of reality. Y'all are so cynical you cannot even perceive reality.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes, I know a few rocket league players who will stop playing because of this

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
Because Steam isn't run by dumbass execs who think movie streaming will never happen. There's an inherent need for these companies to compete with each other to be the best platform with the best game and best clients. If they don't they literally kill their own business.
Epic isn't trying to compete on terms of offering better service, pricing, innovation etc. Instead they are limiting the availability of products to their store (with worse features) that would have been available in multiple places otherwise. No one is complaining about Fortnite being exclusive to EGS or EA games on Origin because they invested in developing and bringing new products out for sale. Buying exclusivity deals for games that would otherwise be released on other platforms/storefronts let's them sidestep the whole business of having to compete and offer something better. You may want to call that 'competition', but it's lacking the desirable attributes.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Because the money will trickle down eventually and then Epic won't have to force their employees to crunch anymore buy games on epic games store steam bad

At this point, EGS is so obviously malevolent and ill-willed that I believe the only reason people still defend it is because they hate Steam/Valve. Even though Valve will be the last ones hurt in this war and many others will suffer first. Casualties of war I guess.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This hits me personally very hard. Rocket League is my favourite game and I've played it for years. I also don't care for the Epic store whatsoever. Will I be able to buy coming dlc on steam? Likely not. This is just another shitty move from Epic and I do not appreciate it whatsoever. Taking a long released game off a storefront is not something I was expecting and I do not like it.
Variety has confirmed all future DLC & updates will release on Steam as well as all other platforms.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Microsoft didn't do what? Minecraft was never on Steam and Valve's games weren't elsewhere either (outside of Steam).

And you have no idea what were the purchase conditions when Valve or Microsoft purchased the studios so saying « they aren't doing it » is a thoroughly pointless argument because.. well.. for 5 years Minecraft wasn't available on Steam either.
Why do you pretend to be so dense? Minecraft is still on PS4, The Outer Worlds is still launching on Steam and PS4.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

dota is actually a really interesting case, the warcraft 3 mod was actually updated in tandem with the source version for years after valve hired icefrog. eventually they broke parity, mainly because they wanted to make changes that the WC3 engine couldn't handle.

the mod still exists though and is playable.

leenbzoold

Apr 5, 2018
Well i guess now we might get fortnite inspired things in RL and vice versa.

So who's next? CD Project Red?

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018
Non enthusiasts just want their game to work right the first time. They have no patience for the type of issues that enthusiasts already understand or can easily work their way through.

If this is done poorly even non-enthusiasts are going to grabbing their pitchforks. EGS is buggier than Steam at the moment, and It remains to be seen if Rocket League will continue to be updated on Steam or if friends on EGS and Steam can still play with each other.

You're absolutely correct. In fact, I don't think I've ever played anything on the EGS, so I can't really speak to the bugginess. I would think that delaying the launch until late 2019 would be in order to make it a good playing experience, but I may be giving everyone involved too much credit.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lets play this game.

EGS achieves market dominance. As a result, they decide to raise the prices on video games to $100. Nobody buys the games on EGS because they are now too expensive. EGS loses money. A lot of money. The developer loses money. The publisher loses money. Just about everyone involved loses so much money that people start being laid off, and then you have a domino affect that a massive flop starts.

That leads EGS to listing games at $100 and not selling very many. And the developers behind them can't pay their light bill. So how do they remedy this? Well either the exclusivity with Epic covers them entirely, or they pull out and sell their game *checks notes* on another platform where people will buy their game.

Like. These scenarios don't exist in the realm of reality. Y'all are so cynical you cannot even perceive reality.
yeah big companies never massively fuck up and slaughter the golden goose in an attempt to pad their margins once they get a monopoly position in a market

i think the point is that, to some extent, valve has earned the trust of end users and gets some benefit of the doubt. epic hasn't.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
As an active RL and FN player I'm actually quite excited about this. More development resources is exactly what this game needs. The core gameplay is so good I wish more people could experience it. I'm quite confident this will enable them to go free-to-play and start relying more on season passes and in-game purchases (which they have in the game already).

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
What's the confusion here? Both statements are accurate. Steam usually holds the exclusive rights to a game on PC and you can't play it anywhere else. There are also other stores that have exclusives but don't catch flack.
Please link me to one single game to which Steam holds any kind of exclusive rights, aside from their own games (which were at one point sold on Uplay and Origin, and only got dropped from there because Uplay stopped selling all third party games and because EA didn't want to do business with Valve anymore).

Come on, a single one. One single paid exclusivity by Valve. Just one. One (1).

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
They are still available. They could have taken them offline, or no longer available for purchase (not like the catalog sales are huge with those Unreal titles) yet they're still available.

I don't see anyone complaining that Valve games aren't available outside of Steam (as in GoG, Origin, Microsoft Store and so on).

Rocket League is now an Epic property and moving it exclusively to their store is the logical and sensible decision. This is funny because people have been saying that Epic Games games beeing exclusive to their storefront was fine. Bit now it isn't

Because developing a new exclusive isn't the same as buying a pre-existing studio and yanking their games off of the platforms they've been on for years.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Epic isn't trying to compete on terms of offering better service, pricing, innovation etc. Instead they are limiting the availability of products to their store (with worse features) that would have been available in multiple places otherwise. No one is complaining about Fortnite being exclusive to EGS or EA games on Origin because they invested in developing and bringing new products out for sale. Buying exclusivity deals for games that would otherwise be released on other platforms/storefronts let's them sidestep the whole business of having to compete and offer something better. You may want to call that 'competition', but it's lacking the desirable attributes.

So then explain to me how the fuck EGS even stays alive if it doesn't eventually offer competitive, consumer friendly features? It HAS TO HAPPEN FOR THEM TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THE LONG TERM. THEY CANNOT EXIST AS COMPETITION IF THEY DON'T.

Buying exclusives for your store only gets your store so far. If you do not have a feature rich client, you will either never be as big as you hoped for or you will die off. EGS cannot survive by just being a barebones store.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, hopefully we can get a RL2 sooner rather than later now then since they have a real backing. Wonder if it'll come to Steam though?

I don't get the sense that Rocket League is the type of game they want to release a sequel to. It's an online service game at this point, a la Team Fortress 2, Dota 2 or CS:GO.

Deleted member 28967

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Meh another studio and its games that i'll avoid having any interest in.

At this rate i might just stop buying games and just play my rather long backlog, not a bad thing either :)

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
that's competition though.

the idea that competition is good for the end customer is a weird libertarian idea that gets floated around way too much. most competition is shit like this, a big guy with deep pockets muscling their way into a market to force a worse product on people.

the problem is capitalism.

The is essentially the correct answer.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm happy for Psyonix because they're a great dev and RL is fantastic, so the backing of a huge company with a lot of cash is well deserved.

But... taking the game off Steam is a scummy move and I can't help but think they'll be harmed in the long run.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
They're going full blown Thanos lmao

Gotta respect it I guess, going straight for Steams throat

Update: staying on Steam after all

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

If true, that was a fast backtrack LMAO

Edit: to showcase that the game was intended to be taken from the beginning
https://dtf.ru/gameindustry/48783-epic-games-kupila-studiyu-razrabotchika-rocket-leag

And Sergey (PR boss of EGS posted):

unknown.png

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
Will this impede me from getting any future DLC on Steam after the move to EGS?

Would be shitty for anyone who has already invested in the platform.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please link me to one single game to which Steam holds any kind of exclusive rights, aside from their own games (which were at one point sold on Uplay and Origin, and only got dropped from there because Uplay stopped selling all third party games and because EA didn't want to do business with Valve anymore).

Come on, a single one. One single paid exclusivity by Valve. Just one. One (1).

My mistake, you are correct that Steam does not have exclusive rights on any one game. What I meant to convey is that a majority of games we play on PC are only available to play via Steam.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The only way they probably should is by matching their cut to devs.
Didn't Sweeney openly wonder on Twitter how Valve was able to afford supporting all these forms of payment in different regions of the world, while simultaneously saying that Epic couldn't do the same because their slimmer cut couldn't afford them the ability to do that on top of the other costs they had to manage with game distribution?