• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, basically. Though I think Fortnite being a mess from a competitive perspective is a product of what the game is, a mess that is really popular, there is no way they can balance making it 'esports' and making it played by a billion kids.

Rocket League, to me, is THE Esport that would appeal most to 'real sports' fans, its identifiable, its easy to follow and grasp, its familiar (its soccer-hockey with cars)..anyone can play it, few will master it...good plays are easy to see, skills will be easy to appreciate, and its possible to actually enjoy it even if you never played it (many 'real sports' fans have never played the sport they love).

Watching Rocket League matches in VR, as if you were in the arena, that would be some next level stuff

Problem is the competitive community's gripes with Fortnite arent so much to do with the core gameplay but rather how epic is handling it. They push out major game changing features a day before big tournaments with no option to roll back. They lock down competitive gaming to certain resolution/equipment. There is no option to remove some of the more (when it comes to competitive gaming) egregious changes in the game for tournament level play etc etc.

This is all easily fixable (or in the worst case scenario easily transferable to Rocket League) but no one at Epic seems to care. Which is weird cause they have put up an insane amount of money for prize pool. Its a really good example of how just throwing money at something wont fix it.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Those people don't matter though, users in developing countries, linux users, people who enjoy modding or trading cards, all these people are irrelevant because... money?

They'll understand better when epic makes gaming better for us all.

Right? Peak "Fuck You, Got mine" from some people defending this shit.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
What a gross exaggeration of the first tweet. Epic is trying to make their store competitive. The way they are doing it is shitty, but ultimately the goal is still the same.

Given the fact that Sweeney said he'd stop paying for exclusives and put Epic's games on Steam if Valve would match their 88% cut for devs/pubs, I'd say he's definitely making moves to target them specifically.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Okay I am now convinced one day I will wake up to 100 pages thread "Epic acquires Konami, all titles to be removed from Steam by end of 20XX" or something equally ridiculous .
As long as they leave Nintendo alone, I know I will always have a place to run to once Epic finishes fucking up PC gaming.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the problem? Most people on here seemed fine with Microsoft buying developers up. How's this any different?

Congrats to Psyonix all the same. Good result for them for sure.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
It's not the same though? Firewatch wasn't available anywhere else on PC before they were acquired by Valve, after acquisition, nothing changed. The game is still available on consoles. That will hold true for In The Valley of the Gods.

Edit: I stand corrected, Firewatch is available on GoG and is STILL available there today.

Firewatch isn't a GaaS, multiplayer game with significant MAUs and a decent e-sport following.

From Psyonix statements, they plan to aggressively boost the game's esports presence. Making it exclusive to EGS to reap any potential benefits seems like a shrewd business decision on Epic's part.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I know what the real end game is.

Epic wants to cut off Valve's revenue. But that's just the start.
I bet you all of Epic's money that they want to flat out get to Valve and buy them and make new Half Life or Team Fortress games. I mean, could you imagine?

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game is amazing, you should definitely try it.

If you want to get it for PC but only want to give storefront money to Valve, you can still do it now while it's there on a Steam, or get it on console instead.

Nah, I'm honestly not interested in supporting Epic directly in any fashion at this point. Obviously I won't stop buying Unreal Engine games, though.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing some of the anti-Chinese sentiment is because Tencent owns a large share of Epic Games (still not a majority though). Any big company in China is in cahoots with the Chinese government. Some of the backlash may be racism against Chinese people, but some are probably concerned about Epic being just a few steps removed from the Chinese government.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I've calmed down a bit. I have over 3k hours on this game and It's an all time favorite and probably means more to me than a game should. I'm gonna list some positives I hope can come from it.

Epic has a much better Crossplatform system than Rocket League ID. Better crossplatform support with voice chat etc and hopefully being linked with Epic account means crossplatform account merging which is something we have all wanted for a long time.

The game won't change much from a PC gamer perspective. All the systems are already run by Psyonix. Trading is done in game, servers are not run by Steam and it makes use of the marketplace.

Better Support. They do a great job on their own but it could always be better and Fortnite sets the high bar here.

Throw money at Esports. Rocket League is a phenomenal Esport that has been growing steadily but it's time for Prime Time. I know for a fact Epic is gonna go crazy on this end and solidy this game as one of the top esports in gaming.

Free to play. I know a lot of people don't want this but I always have to capture and even bigger audience and I'm not sure selling it on Epic store would bring in more people than going the Fortnite route.

No More lootboxes? This is a hope but Epic doesn't use them in fortnite and Rocket league already has a very good Rocket pass system and now an esports shop where you can just buy skins directly. Hopefully the game can rid itself of lootboxes.

This hit me like a punch in the gut. I am NOT a fan of the Epic launcher but I used it long enough for Fortnite and have always been a fan of how they have handled that game as a service.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Wait... Are you seriously asking if people care about ACHIEVEMENTS if all things? Y'know, like the thing that's pretty much standard everywhere on PC and consoles alike these days and thus why there tends to be monthly threads or so about how the main outlier, Nintendo, needs to get with the times and add some form of achievements already because they're so normal and it's so weird that they don't have them and that tends to be one of the most consistently requested changes on Nintendo platforms due to that?

Like I get not understanding the hub-ib about trading cards, but achievements, really? I myself couldn't care less about achievements but I myself realize that makes me the odd one out and doesn't in any way change how much others love the things, which they clearly do. Don't need to like them myself to understand that much, that regardless of if I care for them or not millions of people clearly do and that's the kind of thing that sticks out like a sore thumb, regardless of my personal feelings.
Really?? All I see from nin fans is that they are thankful not having achievement system and they can play through the game without worrying about silly virtual trophies.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
So is Valve gonna counter or nah? Steam is only gonna have Japanese games at this point, until Epic bribe Capcom & Square, which i wouldn't be surprised.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Never got into Rocket League. As long as they remain relatively autonomous & Epic doesn't institute a culture of crunch like we've seen reported on for Fortnite then more power to the owners of Psyonix. I guess our future is Epic buying up anything that can gain them market share in the PC storefront space, including devs of popular games.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
100%. I think the fact that we're the gaming-enthusiast minority gets forgotten often on Era.
Non enthusiasts just want their game to work right the first time. They have no patience for the type of issues that enthusiasts already understand or can easily work their way through.

If this is done poorly even non-enthusiasts are going to grabbing their pitchforks. EGS is buggier than Steam at the moment, and It remains to be seen if Rocket League will continue to be updated on Steam or if friends on EGS and Steam can still play with each other.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Being owned by Epic can only be a good thing, right?

That's why People Can Fly bought back their independence?

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Because as is currently being demonstrated on the Rocket League store page, they can be used to launch huge anger & rage campaigns by niche portions of the audience that are often completely irrelevant to the question user reviews are intended to answer.

They're the comments section of online commerce, only more easily manipulated and given a greater sense of importance.

What you call "anger and rage" I call consumers using the only real avenue available to them that can cause damage to a developer to show their disgust for their business practices.

You might not like it but the alternative is what Epic, the pubs and seemingly the devs want, which is making it so consumers no longer have a voice and they can get away with whatever they like!

Tim Sweeney is a liar, a hypocrite and is quite frankly on a personal mission to put steam out of business at this point, we are talking about a billionaire using his wealth to benefit him and screw the consumers and remove choice and voice from them.

If people can't see why that's an issue then I really don't know what to say.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So is Valve gonna counter or nah? Steam is only gonna have Japanese games at this point, until Epic bribe Capcom & Square, which i wouldn't be surprised.

I don't really see a really great avenue for Valve to counter here to be honest, if they get down in the mud they don't really have the money to win this out

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
It's like some of you people keep deliberatly ignoring that EGS is not available in every country and that EGS does not support most of the payment methods Steam does, which means EGS is unavailable for many many users.

which countries isn't it available in? are there any in particular which seem super dumb not to be available in?

considering how much of steams purchases come from non-standard payment sources it seems absolutely fair that egs should be able to accept those payment sources too.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how this benefits Psyonix? They were a small studio making tons of money (last I'd heard). That makes me think Epic threw so much money at them they couldn't refuse.

Anyway, I just hope this doesn't change Rocket League too much. It's easily my most played game of all time by a wide margin.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the problem? Most people on here seemed fine with Microsoft buying developers up. How's this any different?

Congrats to Psyonix all the same. Good result for them for sure.
That Microsoft didn't retroactively remove Mojang and Obsidian's already released games like Minecraft and Pillars of Eternity from other platforms while Epic is going out of its way to remove Rocket League from Steam, for a start. That's a pretty key difference in how the two were handled.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
For comparison's sake, you can still buy Mass Effect 1 and 2 on Steam even though EA has been selling their games on Origin for many years.

If there was any doubt before that Epic were looking to cut off Steam before, it's obvious now.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
And it has far more dev time than any other, it was just as bad as any other the first couple years. In fact, it was a way though pill to swallow cause it made DRM a standard on PC.
If anything, the PC gaming industry has been extremely late in trying to compete with them and EPIC is trying to catch up in the most aggresive way possible.

Epic's store and even its timeframe for implementing the most basic features is over a year - for features steam had when it launched - when I was on fucking dial up connection.
Are you seriously dumb enough to push the narative that today is 2003/2004, and there were plenty of examples tools and infrastructure for Valve compared to Epic now? And all that in consideration of Epic and its infrastructure now vs Valve in 2003/2004?!
Outright idiocy - especially noting many other stores have launched with better feature set, customer facing tools and implementation.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Epic: we are buying exclusivities, studios and everything basically.
Valve: Well... We have a VR 1k device with no games from us...

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I can't even be mad at this, because it's just so ridiculous I can only laugh. But still, fuck this. It's so stupid.
Epic: we are buying exclusivities, studios and everything basically.
Valve: Well... We have a VR 1k device with no games from us...
What, I remember seeing a thread that they confirmed games for the VR already? Or did I misread something. And it's not super long ago when they acquired Campo Santo.