• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
There's nothing Valve can do other than start doing the same shitty practices and why would I want that?
Eh, the whole good guy mentality in the video game industry will just get you the Ned Stark treatment in the end, at the very least they should pull a partnership with someone like Capcom, Microsoft did it & secured Capcom games for Games for Windows Live, which sucked but that's besides the point.
Epic saw how big DMCV, MHW & RE2 were on Steam, they will make a move sooner or later.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
which countries isn't it available in? are there any in particular which seem super dumb not to be available in?
China
considering how much of steams purchases come from non-standard payment sources it seems absolutely fair that egs should be able to accept those payment sources too.
They can but those payment options are expensive. Steam eats the extra costs with their cut, Epic doesn't have that option and those payment options would end up passing the cost onto the customer.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
What you call "anger and rage" I call consumers using the only real avenue available to them that can cause damage to a developer to show their disgust for their business practices.

You might not like it but the alternative is what Epic, the pubs and seemingly the devs want, which is making it so consumers no longer have a voice and they can get away with whatever they like!

Tim Sweeney is a liar, a hypocrite and is quite frankly on a personal mission to put steam out of business at this point, we are talking about a billionaire using his wealth to benefit him and screw the consumers and remove choice and voice from them.

If people can't see why that's an issue then I really don't know what to say.
You're literally voicing your opinion right now in a format that isn't the review page for the game.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
And it has far more dev time than any other, it was just as bad as any other the first couple years. In fact, it was a way though pill to swallow cause it made DRM a standard on PC.
If anything, the PC gaming industry has been extremely late in trying to compete with them and EPIC is trying to catch up in the most aggresive way possible.

This isn't making a single slight of sense. When did you thought it made sense to compare a platform in 2004 and a platform in 2019 ?
Yeah, Steam was as bad in 2004. That was fuckin 15 years ago. A lot of the features they didn't have simply didn't exist elsewhere. Steam in 2004 was lacking features that weren't a standard or even existing anywhere else in the gaming industry.
EGS in 2019 is lacking features that are standards since 10 years ago. Make some sense please.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Microsoft didn't retroactively remove Mojang and Obsidian's already released games like Minecraft and Pillars of Eternity from other platforms while Epic is going out of its way to remove Rocket League from Steam, for a start. That's a pretty key difference in how the two were handled.

Yeah, fair point on that score at least.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Wow.

Psyonix, too, of all fucking companies. Once the champions of cross-platform play, now taking money to pull out of one platform and onto a rival's inferior one. That's just...really shameful and disheartening to see.

PC players are going to lose so much with this, too. Aside from the obvious setbacks like a fractured community and no Linux version, there'll also be no Steam Workshop/Cloud/cards/stats, or pretty much anything else that Steam brings to the table. Not to mention they're getting reviewbombed to hell and back on Steam itself. Was it worth it, Psyonix?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
When Microsoft acquired Minecraft they did not remove it from other platforms.... Just saying.

FYI You do not lose the game if you already own it. Valve (outside of a handful of instances) always make sure of that.
Of course, Psyonix could stop the game functioning some how, but as per usual PC player will find way around that

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Because as is currently being demonstrated on the Rocket League store page, they can be used to launch huge anger & rage campaigns by niche portions of the audience that are often completely irrelevant to the question user reviews are intended to answer.

They're the comments section of online commerce, only more easily manipulated and given a greater sense of importance.

Good thing valve has a filter for irrelevant reviews.

I would consider much of the anger completely justified. A product they may have sunk a lot of money into is being changed in a fundamental way. There is no better way to express their displeasure than a review.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
tenor.gif

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Because as is currently being demonstrated on the Rocket League store page, they can be used to launch huge anger & rage campaigns by niche portions of the audience that are often completely irrelevant to the question user reviews are intended to answer.

They're the comments section of online commerce, only more easily manipulated and given a greater sense of importance.
While I don't agree with review bombing myself (because it's manipulative and hurts me as a consumer), I much prefer the tools Valve has implemented for their reviews than removing reviews altogether. User reviews do have their use, for the consumer looking for games to buy. Not just as a megaphone for people to vent at the dev/pub.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given the fact that Sweeney said he'd stop paying for exclusives and put Epic's games on Steam if Valve would match their 88% cut for devs/pubs, I'd say he's definitely making moves to target them specifically.

No on is disputing that he wants to be competitive. Saying that they want to put Steam out of business is extreme exaggeration.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
What a gross exaggeration of the first tweet. Epic is trying to make their store competitive. The way they are doing it is shitty, but ultimately the goal is still the same.

You really think epic or Tim wants steam to exist? Corporations are not in the business to want competition they want to be the only one.

Look at Disney...

Discussion guidelines

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
Given the volatility in recent Epic Game Store related threads we have decided that some clearer guidelines are required to cultivate healthier discussion.
  • Do not enter these threads in bad faith. If we conclude that your goal is to misrepresent the concerns of other users or rile people up, you will be moderated. Intent matters here. Honest questions or commentary about the differences and similarities between the Epic Games Store and other storefronts are fine. Deliberately and dismissively attempting to troll concerned members on those topics is not okay. These discussions must be held in good faith and in a civil manner.
  • As a reminder, antagonizing or engaging in personal attacks on other members is still against the rules. We have a large community with a wide range of preferences and personal priorities. Not everyone will feel the same way as you do on any given topic. If you feel a post is breaking a rule please report it and do not respond with hostility. If you choose to engage do so politely. We always check to see which users have a history of trouble in this area.
  • It is perfectly acceptable to want to wait for a game to be released on the storefront of your preference (ex: "I'll just wait for the Steam release.") It is not acceptable to troll threads because of storefront exclusivity timed or otherwise (ex: "So the real PC release is going to be a year later.") The latter is needlessly inflammatory and distracts from discussion. We will be scrutinizing these posts more closely going forward.
  • Do not advocate, defend, or admit to piracy under any circumstances. This is explicitly against our Terms of Service. There are no justifications that will make this acceptable.
Addendum: It's fine and often healthy to be critical of media coverage (ex: "I don't think this article is good and here's why"), but please avoid going down any rabbit holes with excessive vitriol and conspiracy theories (ex: "This outlet is clearly paid off because I don't agree with their coverage"). We've long had a general policy against hyperbolical vilification of the media and that rule has not been suspended.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
No on is disputing that he wants to be competitive. Saying that they want to put Steam out of business is extreme exaggeration.

How is that extreme exaggeration ? It's basically the model EGS is embracing. 3rd party stores as of right now needs to have deals with Epic to sell EGS games. Wtf is that shit.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, bravo for Epic getting a huge get and bravo for Psyonix for making an incredible title that's about to propel them to even further heights.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
which countries isn't it available in? are there any in particular which seem super dumb not to be available in?

considering how much of steams purchases come from non-standard payment sources it seems absolutely fair that egs should be able to accept those payment sources too.

China, which is one the biggest PC markets around.

As for payment methods, most of them are expensive in third world countries and Epic does not eat the costs like Steam does which make games either unobtainable for some or just expensive.

For example, EGS is available in my country, but I don't have a CC I rely on Steam gift cards for purchasing games. Hence I can't buy anything on EGS, same for my friends.

Oct 28, 2017
4 years after release and this happens. Weird they're taking it off Steam but this speaks of big plans to somehow get people to play via EGS, but I don't see how they can really change the game in such a way as to get people to move to EGS, or bait people into a second purchase.

Eh, I'm ambivalent. Still got my Steam copy.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
EGS has been awful for the PC ecosystem already, but what I'm really scared of is the standard they are setting. What if Google starts getting in with exclusivity, or Amazon wants a piece of the pie and starts throwing money around. Tim Sweeney is really doing us a disservice with all his self righteous crap.
Oh I'm almost positive Google has seen this and will go the same route with Stadia. Google could pay ubi plenty of money to make assassins Creed exclusive to Stadia for a set period of time. Apple is getting involved with exclusives for Apple Arcade. Hope you are ready for the future of gaming because it seems like exclusives are coming back with a vengeance.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
You're literally voicing your opinion right now in a format that isn't the review page for the game.

And my opinion on here is completely different to a visible review on a storefront page where people often rely on reviews to purchase.

This is why user reviews are important, it hits pubs and devs where it hurts and forces them to fix the issues or show themselves up, hence why there is such a pushback right now against review bombing, they don't like it because it hurts them and it's the very reason Epic made user reviews optional because they are anti-consumer and want to limit consumer voices in areas that truly impact sales.