• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
We've been talking about this in the FortEra Discord but I felt this was worth it's own thread

Yesterday, Epic Games released the "Rainbow Royale" event in Fortnite, featuring free LGBTQIA+ items and music from LGBTQIA+ on the in-game radio:

Shortly after, Fortnite map creator "AwA" (creator of Pro 100, what is most likely the most popular Creative mode map in the entire game that is featured almost 24/7 in the creative hub, and a map Epic recently made a part of their summer event) made homophobic comments and liked homophobic Tweets on Twitter:

6LOiL2j.jpg

8jYTAvCRyRRzfWlvuQnab90az1HXpBLXM5Iyf5NSMBgExyBvrG65wGQHt0sg6AmvHild_khFNsjsT_5UIEcc3aPH0EmOXdX4Vn_7XjJDrj7hi3CszAnxV2NFJnqBiskHsA=s800

In response, Epic disabled his map (Pro 100) as well as his Support A Creator code (Support a Creator codes are similar to a referral system, where using a person's code will give them a 5% cut of the item's cost in the Fortnite item shop or on the Epic Game Store)

AwA initially released this in response (note: English is not his native language):

and then deleted that and released this second response, where he continues to describe his homophobia as an "opinion" (also allegedly co-written by someone else):

Apology for the Community.
I am sorry for everyone I have said about the Rainbow Royale event and the Lgbtq community. I was not trying to hurt anyone but express my opinion about the event. I understand it is hurtful to the community and deeply sorry to everyone I have hurted. The reason behind it was because it is against my religion and I was grown up that way. I will try better in the future and try to continue to strive as a creator. I have much to learn and correct. I hope you guys give me a second chance as everyone should have. Much love, Awa.

Epic later silently reinstated his map and Support a Creator code only a few hours later. Epic has previously disabled other people's Support a Creator code, but this is the first time anyone has ever had their code reinstated.

Zv9B6oV.png

Personally, pulling this shit during their pride event is incredibly disheartening to see, and shows that they value player engagement over basic decency.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
rainbow washing huh

actions speak louder than words, fuckers

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Still can't believe in 2021 there are people who still use the "against nature" rhetoric.

These people have never seen same sex animals fuck ever, I guess.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Really fucked up that Epic did the right thing at first and then for whatever reason walked it back.

Because that apology in no way makes it ok.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Absolutely indefensible.

His content and financial support should be permanently banned from the game. Epic doing anything less than that is literal support of homophobia.

Oct 25, 2017
Performative progressivism from Epic, what can you say?

Such a major trend these past few years. You really hate to see it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Take that awa idiots map off the game and ban his account. It's not like they need his shit at all.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
"it's against nature" = his opinion "on the event"

lol ok

Last edited:

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
now that the creator code is reinstated i'm sure all the bigots are dropping that code left and right to support the trash 'opinions'

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Epic really bought the "it's my religion to treat other people like shit" excuse, come the fuck on.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
"this is against nature"

Except it happens in plenty of other species. Not just humans, lmao. What a lame ass excuse.

I will never not laugh at this particular excuse.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
A grim reminder that companies are not friends or allies.
What a fucked up situation

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
Man, it's always the 'sorry if you were offended' apology with these people when they get to their hat in hand phase, isn't it. Also fuck Epic.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Tired of this "it's my religion sorry haha" excuse they trot out time and time again. Christianity (assuming here) also says to not judge others, yet here we are. Cherrypicking what they do follow and don't follow drives me fucking insane

Antoo

May 1, 2019
apparently the creator is 14 which is crazy

obviously does not excuse his actions and epic should revoke his creator code so he learns a lesson and has to deal with the consequences of being a hateful bigot

at the same time I hope he does take this situation to grow and reflect but that definitely won't happen if he just gives a half-assed apology and somehow gets back in good graces

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Until the gaming community at large holds companies accountable for their homophobia and exploitation of the LGBT+ community, this will continue to happen.

If you are truly an ally to LGBT+ gamers, then you need to be actively anti-homophobic. It's not enough to simply disapprove of bigotry, you must continually take action to fight against it.

josiah

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't really impact me; but, I am fully on board the Epic boycott. I am sick of people picking and choosing which human rights groups they support. That just breeds superiority complexes...pun intended.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Adding another reason to the list of why I should never support Epic.

JFC, creator should have been permanently banned, end of story. that public "apology" is so fucking bad, up there as one of the worst I have ever seen

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The only thing worse than the "it's just my opinion!" and "it's just my religion!" excuses is that the people who use them think it just entirely absolves them.

What a nice performative event Epic have going on. It's not June anymore so I guess they don't even have to bother putting up a front.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao. This guy is NOT going to change. He admitted he was raised this way via religion etc. This is deep rooted into his core fiber being.

The apology was just to get his money and clout back.

Why is EPIC this dense? Cmon man.

Sep 14, 2018
This is funny in how it exposes how obviously fake this corporate support thing is lol. As if it cost them anything to remove some code, nothing like walking into a homophobic mess to celebrate the rainbow!

FatalT

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
Tired of this "it's my religion sorry haha" excuse they trot out time and time again. Christianity (assuming here) also says to not judge others, yet here we are. Cherrypicking what they do follow and don't follow drives me fucking insane
I believe he's Muslim. His map also had Arabic as well.

apparently the creator is 14 which is crazy

obviously does not excuse his actions and epic should revoke his creator code so he learns a lesson and has to deal with the consequences of being a hateful bigot

at the same time I hope he does take this situation to grow and reflect but that definitely won't happen if he just gives a half-assed apology and somehow gets back in good graces

If he's 14, is he allowed to receive compensation for the map kickbacks and creator code percentages?

Ah piss.

Be 18 years of age or older
  • Applicants between age 13–17 must apply with the Under 18 Application.

Who is eligible to participate in the Epic Games Support-A-Creator program? - Support-A-Creator Support

Epic Games considers all regions, languages, audience sizes, and types of content. We are looking for Creators who focus on the quality of t

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Lmao. This guy is NOT going to change. He admitted he was raised this way via religion etc. This is deep rooted into his core fiber being.

The apology was just to get his money and clout back.

Why is EPIC this dense? Cmon man.
I think there is still a chance for the guy to change tbh but it starts with his code getting revoked for good so he can reflect on his actions in a meaningful way

dude is 14 so hopefully you imagine he's still at a point in his life where he can turn things around

quite frankly I don't know why Epic hands out codes to kids at all…