• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Unreal Engine provider and Fortnite developer Epic Games has been valued at $17.3 billion.

The updated post-money equity valuation comes after the close of a successful funding round, which has seen a further $1.78 billion poured into the company.

Epic was worth an estimated $8 billion just two years ago in the wake of Fortnite's early success.

The round was a mix of primary capital and secondary purchases from employee equity holders, and includes the recently announced $250 million strategic investment from Sony Corporation.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Epic Games is now worth $17.3bn following latest funding round

Unreal Engine provider and Fortnite developer Epic Games has been valued at $17.3 billion.The updated post-money equity…

Square Enix is sitting at $7.9b and Ubisoft is $8.56b

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I was cleaning old bookmarks the other day and stumbled on this:

St. John: If you could just hire anybody from the 3D world, who would you hire?

Carmack: Well there's a big difference between who I consider the most talented and who I would necessarily hire, because you have to hire people that fit right. If I had to pick who I think is just the most talented, it would probably be Ken Silverman, the guy that did the BUILD engine. He does engines and tools. He's great as an editor. He writes all the code for everything, and he's just extremely talented. I think it was 3D Realms' worst decisions not to coddle him, or whatever it took, to keep him on board. I think if he was still working directly for 3D Realms, they would have a Quake-type game shipped by now, just because he's extraordinarily good. There's maybe a half dozen people that are top-notch A-level 3D programmers. I'm not going to give you a list because I'd leave somebody off and they'd be all pissed off at me.

St. John: You've already left off 90% of them by naming Ken Silverman.

Carmack: All the people doing things that people are talking about now are pretty talented. The Epic people have been working on it for a long time. They've gone through a big learning process, but they've got the issues under control and they're going to ship a product.

St. John: So you think one day Tim Sweeney might grow to be as successful as you.

Carmack: It's hard to become successful by following in footsteps. This is probably going to come out sounding demeaning, but Epic wants Unreal to be Quake. Everything they did with Unreal, they did because they wanted it to be like what Quake turned out to be. And they're going to achieve a lot of that, because they're doing a lot of things well, but you're just never as big when you're second in line.

Hook: Just like Dark Forces and Duke were both phenomenal games, they still definitely didn't have the impact of Doom simply because they just weren't first out the gate.

Carmack: Like Prey, there's a lesson to be learned, something a lot of companies don't really ever learn. You hear it from the fan base a lot. "Do it right. We'll still be here. We'll wait," and it's tempting to just let things slip. But that's really not OK. If you're doing something cutting edge, you're making fundamental decisions about your architecture, and if you let it slide for a year or two, then it's just not the right decision anymore. Even if you pile on all these extras, it's not optimal. It's not targeted at what you're doing. So I have some concerns about Prey coming out this late.

Who's second in line now, John?

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
they skyrocketed. with Unreal 5 being used for movies too they wont stop.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Epic's journey from Jazz Jackrabbit to Unreal to Gears of War to licensing the engine to floundering with Fortnite (you know, the original survival game) and then Battle Royale and Epic Store, has been one hell of a ride.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
They own a game store now, right?

The most pro-consumer gaming company out there, the number of amazing free games I have got for them is frankly ridiculous. On top of that they give developers such a great split when sharing revenue, great company and hope they continue getting bigger.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fortnite is a huge part of this, but Epic is expanding Unreal Engine far and wide as a toolset. they'll probably be highly valued after Fortnite dies because of this (if they play their cards right)

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The most pro-consumer gaming company out there, the number of amazing free games I have got for them is frankly ridiculous. On top of that they give developers such a great split when sharing revenue, great company and hope they continue getting bigger.

giphy.gif

Cheers!

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
Who's second in line now, John?

To be fair, I think Carmack was talking about the original Unreal game as opposed to the Unreal engine. Quake was arguably a more monumental game than the first Unreal (Unreal was ridiculously impressive at the time of it's release, but it could never be the first true 3D FPS).

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
That's insane, I personally think that's a bit overvalued but there's a reason why I'm broke and they aren't. I get unreals and fortnites dominance but damn.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Epic is pretty big now.
With how far Unreal is used and the success of their other ventures, it's not that surprising.
And all that while crunching their employees too.
Still better than the den of rapists that is Ubisoft though.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I mean, he's not wrong? If Epic kept trying to clone quake they would not be here today. What brought them this success was becoming the de facto game engine and fortnite. If they kept trying to make quake clones, they would have died out, because quake died out too.
My hunch is that Tim Sweeney would never have agreed with the analysis that he and Epic were trying to "clone" Quake. id pioneered FPS and 3D engines but they don't own the concept. Starting to wonder if DOOM clones was an organic genre descriptor coined by the press or maybe someone from id kept saying it in interviews, and it stuck.

The first-person shooter genre has been traced as far back as Maze War, development of which began in 1973, and 1974's Spasim. Later, and after more playful titles like MIDI Maze in 1987, the genre coalesced into a more violent form with 1992's Wolfenstein 3D, which has been credited with creating the genre's basic archetype upon which subsequent titles were based. One such title, and the progenitor of the genre's wider mainstream acceptance and popularity, was Doom, one of the most influential games in this genre; for some years, the term Doom clone was used to designate this genre due to Doom's influence.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also, there seems to be a lot of enterprise licensing for UE

from Ford and other car companies

to a lot of archviz work