• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I know, I know, EGS bad.

With that out of the way, a few things that caught my eye:

Control for $30
Mechwarrior 5 for $40
Red Dead 2 for $38
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey for $14 (haven't followed the game enough to know if that's standard or a new low)
Phoenix Point for $30
Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw for $12.50
John Wick Hex for $7
Outward for $7

Figured this was worth not being buried in the free games thread given that I think that's the lowest we've seen on PC for a lot of this EGS-locked stuff like Control and Mechwarrior, and even something like Outward, which I almost picked up last Steam sale for $17 or whatever it was.

Coupons are eligible until May 1, 2020

Oh yeah and Into the Breach is free today and awesome

And also there's the Ghostbusters game for like $1 $5

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Considering blowing my coupon on a free copy of The Witness... you can use it on anything $5 or up.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Also worth noting: Jedi Fallen Order is £10 off the standard price, so even if you buy something else and then use the second coupon, you could get it for £35 as a nice bonus.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully no one jacks up their prices like last year. I see a few have already lowered prices just below the coupons limit so it does not apply. Really scummy as they lose nothing from this deal.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Also worth noting: Jedi Fallen Order is £10 off the standard price, so even if you buy something else and then use the second coupon, you could get it for £35 as a nice bonus.

yep, same with borderlands3/ control (making them both £22.15) .

Not sure if I want to jump on this deal for control with game pass rumours.

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Outer Wilds EGS? Because then I have a choice to make, because coupon, or being able to family share on the steam release...

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
My PC is not good enough to really flex Control hard but I might check it out anyway. Sure it will run fine at 1080p with limited bells and whistles.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully no one jacks up their prices like last year. I see a few have already lowered prices just below the coupons limit so it does not apply. Really scummy as they lose nothing from this deal.

What?

The coupon still applies no matter what I believe - the only 'caveat' is that the 'rolling perma-10 dollar coupon' only happens if the game is 15 bucks or more, isn't a pre-order, or for in-game DLC/Microtransactions.

Devs lowering the price so the discount doesn't keep rolling forward(aka HADES) was kinda scummy, but at the same time, I can see the dev logic for not wanting to devalue their games too fast (which Epic seems to be ignoring) - but at least this time it's 'lowering' the price instead of raising it.

Honestly, with the coupon, those are some pretty great deals for BL3 and Control, but at the same time....those games came out.....3 months ago. That's some pretty steep discounts Epic are eating to try and get some market share.

Something something Sergey's post saying 'no sales' something.

How's The Division 2 solo. Tempted for $5

It's fine for leveling through the story, but I wouldn't really recommend it long-term unless you go in with friends, or try to find a clan.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

They do, they don't want their games to sell for 5$ because people will then wait until they drop to that price again.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Something worth noting: unless I misread the fine print, the coupons themselves are good until May. So if you DO want to use the coupon on something that's not out yet, but will be out in early 2020, you might still have a shot (but only one coupon would carry over, I think).

That's not entirely true; if you're not prepared to drop the price on your game that low yet, having it happen can means people who might've bought at that price but missed the sale now won't consider it until it drops that low again. In other words, it could fuck with your pricing strategy, even if EGS is fronting the $10 and making sure publishers still get paid in full.

That was a big reason why a lot of publishers were scrambling the first time Epic did this, pulling their games off sale or changing prices. Epic seems to have figured some of this out this time, with the big change being that the coupon doesn't apply to preorders, so I suspect you won't see a lot of/any reactionary price changes this time.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On the one hand, I'm not tremendously surprised that Epic is repeating the Megasale, albeit slightly less generous and making it even more clear that it's Epic that's taking the bath. On the other hand, the Steam Christmas Sale starts in a little over an hour's time, and I fully expect it will completely bury this.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Griftlands is giving out steam keys if you buy the epic version. There we go I'll pick it up for 5 dollars to get a steam key in the future.

OP
OP
Burt

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
On the one hand, I'm not tremendously surprised that Epic is repeating the Megasale, albeit slightly less generous and making it even more clear that it's Epic that's taking the bath. On the other hand, the Steam Christmas Sale starts in a little over an hour's time, and I fully expect it will completely bury this.
oh shit already?

giphy.gif

(except I'm still only like 90 minutes into RE2 when I picked it up over Total Warhammer 2 last sale because I told myself I would beat it before the Christmas sale)

OP
OP
Burt

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
Ghostbusters £1.99 and not even in the OP

smh
It's only because I hold a secret belief that Ghostbusters fans are actually the worst fandom

And definitely not anything to do with the fact that the EGS has very rudimentary searchability

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, I'm not tremendously surprised that Epic is repeating the Megasale, albeit slightly less generous and making it even more clear that it's Epic that's taking the bath.

Honestly, the game selection (considering Epic's limited approach) isn't bad, especially with the relatively new games getting pretty hefty discounts - Borderlands 3 and Control for ~30, RDR2 and Fallen Order for ~40....

It's not amaze-balls, but it's not bad if you really want those games now (and didn't take advantage of the R* region-pricing for RDR2)

On the other hand, the Steam Christmas Sale starts in a little over an hour's time, and I fully expect it will completely bury this.

Honestly, Steam's been.....less crazy good deals in recent years when it comes to the big holiday-type sales. The lack of flash deals (and price errors) have certainly led to less impulse buys from me, at least.

It will certainly be interesting to see what the 'showdown' brings, though.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
...why? If anything has signified Steam sales recently, is that they have generally pretty meager discounts.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
you guys think it's possible that outer wilds will be a free title since it's conspicuously not on sale this time?

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
you guys think it's possible that outer wilds will be a free title since it's conspicuously not on sale this time?

I kind of assumed Outer Wilds was the easiest pick for them to make a splash with a free game. It's been given away before so it has precedent and it has recently gotten a lot of accolades so it's in the public eye. I bet if you buy it now they'll just let you refund it if it becomes free later in the sale.