• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
epic-games-store-year-in-review-2020-1920x6426-c965be855073.jpg

Compare that to last year

www.epicgames.com

Epic Games Store Weekly Free Games in 2020!

Epic Games Store Weekly Free Games in 2020!

Diesel%2Fblog%2Fepic-games-store-weekly-free-games-in-2020%2FEGS_Infographic_Overview-1920x8658-22b45a0cb918a47aa93e60e27cc0192066f72b64.jpg

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Almost zero increase despite pandemic (in spend money)? That doesn't sound right.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Those revenue numbers are pretty disappointing if we compare with last year:
Last year total: 680M -> 700M (2020)
Last year store(not Fortnite): 251M -> 265M (2020)
Which means a growth of around 5% for the store, and of 1.4%for Fortnite (on PC) during Covid year.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
That is very little growth. It appears that people are just using Epic for the free games and not actually shifting much buying there.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Almost zero increase despite pandemic (in spend money)? That doesn't sound right.
Which means a growth of around 5% for the store, and of 1.4%for Fortnite (on PC) during Covid year.

But number of claimed free games went from 200M to 750M so everything is fine /s

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I grabbed a whole bunch of free games and spent exactly $0 the entire year. I spent hundreds on Steam though.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Growth of spending on EGS being so minuscule year on year, is insane. How can they have not seen growth during the pandemic as others have?
If that's accurate, that is an interesting statement on the cohort of users they have amassed

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Overall this year felt way less of "epic bought a game as store exclusive"
Dont know if true. But felt that way.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I bought Hades on Epic because of the $10 coupon... but that's about it

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Thats gotta be a big concern for epic games, thats a tiny growth during the pandemic, while all other digital stores had big growth

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh good, upcoming exclusives. Hooray.

edit: I apparently confused the 2019 image with the 2020 image.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
And how many improvements/new features has their client got this year kek

Shipped Store Features in 2020
Wishlisting was a major feature initially released in February 2020 and continued to see incremental improvements throughout the year. We followed with the release of Mod Support which continues to incorporate more mod-supported titles on the Epic Games Store. We also shipped numerous Storefront visual improvements in 2020, including changes to the Discover and Browse options, as well as an updated Carousel in December 2020.

We've also added:

• Open Critic Reviews
  • Self-Service Refunds
  • 19 new Currencies
  • Direct Carrier Billing in numerous countries
  • Offline Sign-In
  • Launcher performance improvements (Big help for Mac)
  • Improved browsing for Add-On content
  • Early Access Messaging
  • Price-Based Filters

There have been substantial infrastructure changes that have not been in plain view for our PC customers to see. One such change is toward our Epic Games Store developer publishing tools. Continuing to improve our publishing tools has provided the opportunity to bring more games to the Epic Games Store in 2020 and as we march toward complete self-publishing tools, we expect to see even more new titles published. Disclaimer: Yes, we've mentioned self-publishing tools three times now because it's just that important! More Games. More Options. More Fun.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
That's a big decrease in average $ spent per user. Hope that it doesn't translate to more exclusivity.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
So wait, they only increased their third party sales by $14m? In 2020?

That's certainly a notable performance.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
So, free game pickups went way up (and reportedly cost more, though I'd like to see what #'s they were using for some of the older games), and sales dollars (not even counting the coupon losses) went up....20 million? during a pandemic? When all the other 'engagement' social media counts were significantly up?

Lol, seems they've got a fanbase, but the vast majority of folks log on, get their free games, and either just play fortnite or go back to Steam/Uplay/Origin/Gog.

Relatedly, I don't see the Dollar number for the coupons that were utilized compared to 2019, which had them....

Oct 26, 2017
That is very little growth. It appears that people are just using Epic for the free games and not actually shifting much buying there.
I'm curious how it compares to other platforms, because honestly---I've stopped spending money everywhere on my PC now because of Game Pass. I can't remember the last time I purchased a Steam game.

Pure conjecture, but my takeaway is that Game Pass is probably eating into these storefronts. I'd be curious to see how others did to confirm these feelings.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how it compares to other platforms, because honestly---I've stopped spending money everywhere on my PC now because of Game Pass. I can't remember the last time I purchased a Steam game.
Steam had the two more succesful sales ever in a row in teh Autumn and Winter sales in 2020, and a 21.5% increase in sold games. Steam saw a 36% increase in titles making over 100k$ too.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i guess we know why they stopped with a lot of the exclusivity deals. between those and the free games this store can't have been that profitable.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Their Dollars per customer (third party) nearly halved. The EGS customers spend less than 2 dollars a year on the store.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if it wasn't for Fortnite and the free games, those numbers would be even worse.
If anything, the Fortnite numbers are the more problematic ones. A 1.5% increase (at best) in revenue in PC during Covid.
I say at best because I am unsure if Rocket League EGS numbers count in there, otherwise, it is only a 6M difference that could be made over with RL.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
They lost MAU during the pandemic, while Steam broke records, that's pretty bad for the future of EGS.

Curious to see what's Epics next move, more exclusives? More free games?

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I've never and will never buy anything there. It's simply a free game store and a one year hostage taker.

$265M in revenue from 3rd party game sales seems really, really bad.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
They're shifting strategy too. It will be a while before the games they're funding are published.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
They lost MAU during the pandemic, while Steam broke records, that's pretty bad for the future of EGS.

Curious to see what's Epics next move, more exclusives? More free games?

They are hitting the limitations of what a highly curated store can deliver, Epic still lags behind in snagging business in areas like Japan and they really, really, really need an Epic Game Store card.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
under upcoming exclusives there's a new poster for Rogue Company. Anyone know what that's all about?

That's the 2019 chart/graphic, iirc it's out (in EA?).

i mean we knew they were never going to be profitable

but they hoped it would parlay into a regular customer base that would spend money

which clearly didnt happen

I do wonder, honestly - with the 'expectation' of weekly free games (And the prevalence of the epic-sponsored coupons), if they trained people to 'wait for sales' the same way Steam did.....only it didn't cultivate the same userbase, because those folks were already on steam to begin with.

They're shifting strategy too. It will be a while before the games they're funding are published.

The fortnite bux will (probably/possibly?) sustain them until then, but yeah, I see the big payouts for exclusives starting to dry up if the resulting numbers look like this.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
They are hitting the limitations of what a highly curated store can deliver, Epic still lags behind in snagging business in areas like Japan and they really, really, really need an Epic Game Store card.
Hard to have an EGS card when the cost of it (ca. 15% according to Valve) is higher than their own cut (12%).

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
www.globenewswire.com

Epic Games Store Partners with Battery and Havas Media for Creative and Media Duties for “The Vault” Free Game Campaign

Bold campaign pushes Epic Game Store to over 61 Million Monthly Active Users on PC...

Epic announced they had 61 million monthly active users back in June 2020 so they somehow went down in December, a time historically know for major PC sales.

Its shocking they published these numbers. Basically no third party revenue growth from 2019 and MAU are down from earlier in 2020 despite a pandemic that's increasing user engagement for other platforms.