• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Amon Lau

Oct 27, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
So folks, we have another game that's available in both Steam and Epic store, which is Vampire Bloodlines 2.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/532790/Vampire_The_Masquerade__Bloodlines_2/
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2/

How does it look like in your region? For me, the prices are identical. Epic was originally showing $48 after the announcement for several hours, but now it's fixed and match Steam price at $17.
I'll use the standard price:
Steam is 89.95 SAR (23.98USD)
While Epic is 180.03 SAR (48USD)

Yeah an easy choice there~

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
While the difference right now is nothing, our economy is shit and the exchange rate can change any minute. So with Steam we will pay in pesos no matter what happens with the dollar.
Also Steam offers many payment methods that Epic does not, that makes it easier for people without credit cards to buy games.
We need to highlight this more often. Regional price is nice and dandy but if the accepted currency is dollar only (and Euro) that mean other regions are at the mercy of exchange rate. If USD goes wild, and I happened to buy my games on EGS, that mean my gaming expenses will follow suit.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
Does Epic still not have Canadian pricing? the prices are still displayed to me in USD.

Is there a way to check/change what region you are in?

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
No regional pricing for Control, found by InquisitorAles
Thanks, Epic!

unknown.png
Nothing here either, just like The Division 2.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Last time this happened someone tweeted the publishing manager for the store and he contacted the publisher.

This is disappointing. Especially after Metro Exodus.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Last time this happened someone tweeted the publishing manager for the store and he contacted the publisher.

This is disappointing. Especially after Metro Exodus.
Spoiler alert: Metro Exodus price cut was only a premeditated way to try and say the reason they left Steam after preorders were available was not the big Epic moneybag. There was never an intention to offer the game for cheaper.

The only other game that had its price cut was a game that reviewed quite badly and was probably used as a PR move to try and get some extra sells.

Also, in regional pricing, we might be seeing less regional pricing for a small BUT REALLY IMPORTANT change EGS made:
They are shown to the publisher as a discount % over the normal base price. This probably only helps reinforce the idea of "unearned discount" leading to prices being changed over the standard price.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Spoiler alert: Metro Exodus price cut was only a premeditated way to try and say the reason they left Steam after preorders were available was not the big Epic moneybag. There was never an intention to offer the game for cheaper.
He's talking about the fact that Metro is only $20US and other games have come since without any form of regional pricing.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
So folks, we have another game that's available in both Steam and Epic store, which is Vampire Bloodlines 2.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/532790/Vampire_The_Masquerade__Bloodlines_2/
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2/

How does it look like in your region? For me, the prices are identical. Epic was originally showing $48 after the announcement for several hours, but now it's fixed and match Steam price at $17.

Here in the UK it's the same price on both stores, £50.99.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018

The only other game that had its price cut was a game that reviewed quite badly and was probably used as a PR move to try and get some extra sells.

Also, in regional pricing, we might be seeing less regional pricing for a small BUT REALLY IMPORTANT change EGS made:
They are shown to the publisher as a discount % over the normal base price. This probably only helps reinforce the idea of "unearned discount" leading to prices being changed over the standard price.
It's regional pricing thread.

Metro had great pricing for people outside of the US and EU.

StoneSarge89

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
230 countries and Romania is left out :( not that we get any love from Steam either. I think Sony is the only one selling in my local currency, not sure about Nintendo.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
230 countries and Romania is left out :( not that we get any love from Steam either. I think Sony is the only one selling in my local currency, not sure about Nintendo.
It's less about local currency and more about lower prices that actually suit the market. In the Caribbean we're still charged in US but the prices are generally lower (which is better than Steam). They said they would be adding more currencies later.

Steam has a different approach where it seems that they don't offer regional pricing until they can offer local currencies.

Oct 25, 2017
No regional pricing for Control, found by InquisitorAles
Thanks, Epic!

unknown.png
You should probably also mention that this is a flat conversion of 60$, and it's almost twice than usual price on AAA game in your region (3799 vs. 1999).
Yes, no regional pricing for Control. Probably not yet configured, to be fair.
Nothing here either, just like The Division 2.

Sergey Galyonkin said on Twitter that they are talking to the publisher regarding the regional pricing matter , and from a google translated tweet it seems that the publisher didnt implement regional pricing while it was planned that they should had done it ( compared to Division 2 where Epic clearly said that no regional pricing planned for Division 2 )

The same happened for Vampyr and it got fixed after a few days

Last edited:

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
It's less about local currency and more about lower prices that actually suit the market. In the Caribbean we're still charged in US but the prices are generally lower (which is better than Steam). They said they would be adding more currencies later.

Steam has a different approach where it seems that they don't offer regional pricing until they can offer local currencies.
Which is complete BS when we have games like V:TMB 2 on EGS where the biggest version of the game is cheaper than the base version on steam. They don't need to add additional currencies they need to allow developers to price their games differently withing their client.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, that post was made back when it wasn't clear what was going on.
Which makes it even stranger to call it a "fucking mess," when you don't have any idea what's going on. I will never understand why people seem to want new things like this to fail before they get the same chance things like Steam got.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Which makes it even stranger to call it a "fucking mess," when you don't have any idea what's going on. I will never understand why people seem to want new things like this to fail before they get the same chance things like Steam got.
I get that but context is important here. This was right in the middle of the height of the EGS controversy. I come along and make a thread about weird, inconsistent pricing. I can't really blame someone for thinking that these guys don't seem to know what they're really doing.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Sergey Galyonkin said on Twitter that they are talking to the publisher regarding the regional pricing matter , and from a google translated tweet it seems that the publisher didnt implement regional pricing while it was planned that they should had done it ( compared to Division 2 where Epic clearly said that no regional pricing planned for Division 2 )

The same happened for Vampyr and it got fixed after a few days
I don't have high hopes, of course they probably will fix the price, but epic can't fix all of them, for example he just confirmed that price on Sinking City (which is 2400 vs normal 2000 on AAA game in RU region) probably won't be changed because it's publisher decision:

Which is really baffling because Galyonkin keeps saying that "regional prices are very important!" but can't even get the standard regional prices for games they bought exclusivity. I know that fuckery with regional pricing occasionally happens on Steam as well but unlike Steam with their hands-off approach, EGS supposed to work much closer with publishers and they are in a position to educate them and explain why regional prices matters. But instead, we have same old shit, with pubs even increasing regional prices on 20% in some cases like mentioned above, despite supposedly having a better cut.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Another Ubi game (Anno), another game with no regional pricing. Not that we were getting regional pricing on Steam anyway...

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Another Ubi game (Anno), another game with no regional pricing. Not that we were getting regional pricing on Steam anyway...
Watch dogs 2 is 59.99 on Uplay but $33 on EGS. They're not against regional pricing they just want us to wait.

Also the egs game publisher gave some hope for Control getting regional pricing.

Last edited:

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
So far, Walking Dead, Darksiders 3 and Metro: Exodus are the only games that have matched the Steam pricing.

Everything else is generally more expensive than Steam for me (Pakistan)

Even newly announced games like Vampires Bloodlines 2 has over double the price I have on Steam.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Not for Canada, though? Prices still seem to be in USD for me
Epic Store does Regional Pricing different than Steam, as in they only support a limited amount of currencies and normally default to USD. In the case of Canada you are fucked yeah.

Edit: they are working on more currency support according to their project thingie.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
"Regional pricing" sounds a lot better than the proper term for this, which is price discrimination. Major props to whoever came up with this harmless euphemism lol

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Shows 59.99 Euros in germany for me.
(Standard edition)
67.40 US $ tax included

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
$45 here. I don't understand why this is so all over the place.
The most confusing part about it is that they keep insisting that its up to the publishers and that they just advise them, similar to what Steam does.

But if that's the case, it makes no sense why most publishers don't just use the same pricing for both stores!?

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The most confusing part about it is that they keep insisting that its up to the publishers and that they just advise them, similar to what Steam does.

But if that's the case, it makes no sense why most publishers don't just use the same pricing for both stores!?
I'm more confused why typical $60 game from publisher A is not converted to the same price as $60 game from publisher B. I thought the tools they gave publishers would give them the option of conforming to a standard conversion, or not at all. Not everything in between.

I can't speak about Steam in that regard since they don't offer regional pricing here.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I can't speak about Steam in that regard since they don't offer regional pricing here.
In Steam's case, there is usually a standard that 80-90% of developers use.

It's the big AAA publishers like Ubisoft/Bethesda/2K, etc that tend to use their own "standard".

You can use this site to see the pricing breakdown of any game on Steam. There is definitely a noticeable trend that usually the biggest publishers buck.

Oct 25, 2017
No regional Pricing for me , but if there is regional pricing for others then I guess it is a matter of an error rather than Publisher not willing to implement it