• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Is it all payment processors? Or is it just some/one?

Like I said I got no problem letting things rock but it looks like it's only Paysafe for right now and that seems to be in flux
That doesn't change anything if it's one or multiple (alreayd confirmed) payment processors.
I'm not sure how Epic breaking EU laws, adding more charges to the customers using alternate payment methods that aren''t getting a surcharge on other stores, and saying that basically it's to compensate their 12% tax is "minor news"...

edit:

Following Sweeney's statements really highlights how he doesn't actually care about what is happening around unless it makes his company look better.

Oct 27, 2017
It is. But it also works as payment processor and you can pay from multiple sources, including banks.
And no card is used, they send you to bank page to make and confirm transfer.

Presumably Epics would work similarly, although they use Xsolla instead of Skrill.

Good, Skrill does look like the best middle-man when it comes to payment options: super low cost and maximum options.

Incidentally, Skrill only charges 1% for cashing-out Paysafe cards... so Epic has to either fix the processor fees there or re-negotiate with Xsolla.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
so their 12% really isn't 12%.

It's 12% from devs and whatever % from consumers cause we are now paying some of the backend costs that is suppose to be paid by the developer as part of cut that stores get...

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
That doesn't change anything if it's one or multiple (alreayd confirmed) payment processors.
I'm not sure how Epic breaking EU laws, adding more charges to the customers using alternate payment methods that aren''t getting a surcharge on other stores, and saying that basically it's to compensate their 12% tax is "minor news"...

edit:

Following Sweeney's statements really highlights how he doesn't actually care about what is happening around unless it makes his company look better.

I''ve reached out to the mod for clarification, but he is refusing to have the conversation till I explain my comments - which I have done in the PMs and in this thread. I'll let you know if there is a response, but for now I'll get back to topic since this is apparently the only place we can discuss outside the "megathread"

And do you get the additional fee back?

Its a good question. With VAT, it is a tax, so you get it back. With payment processor fees, it would be unsurprising to not get it back. The fee may also capture the potential refund processing fee also... not really sure

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I''ve reached out to the mod for clarification, but he is refusing to have the conversation till I explain my comments - which I have done in the PMs and in this thread. I'll let you know if there is a response, but for now I'll get back to topic since this is apparently the only place we can discuss outside the "megathread"

Its a good question. With VAT, it is a tax, so you get it back. With payment processor fees, it would be unsurprising to not get it back. The fee may also capture the potential refund processing fee also... not really sure

This is curious.

Was this happening before they changed their refund policy? this couldn't have been a long standing policy, there would have been news if this was occurring with fortnite MTX purchases.

could this be a way to subsidized doing refunds like Steam?

Oct 27, 2017

The Paysafe card is simply not refundable on most stores. If you used Paysafe card on Origin, it drops a warning that you can not receive refund with this payment options. Steam only does a wallet refund with Paysafe.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
This is curious.

Was this happening before they changed their refund policy? this couldn't have been a long standing policy, there would have been news if this was occurring with fortnite MTX purchases.

could this be a way to subsidized doing refunds like Steam?

Well they do coincide.. but that is pure conjecture on my part. Hopefully there is some reporting on it that gets a comment on all of this... but then again, every step Epic have taken has been a bit hostile to customers or at least without much thought to them. Hiding the tick box and wording it in a way that may trick a customer to be on a dev mailing list seems a good parallel

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I got no problem letting the thread rock if peeps can explain how it's major news

Just remember that this isn't an argument or a debate so if you come in guns blazing that means I have to cut through whatever attitude you're giving me to get to the meat of what you're trying to say
The way I'd view it, is that when EGS was announced, it made sense to consolidate the discussion to a single thread, because there were so many threads about various news and feelings of people.

But now? There aren't news about it that much - at least not all the time - and since the initial launch went and people got through their initial feelings, there shouldn't be multiple threads about how the store sucks or how Steam sucks or whatever.

Therefore I don't really see what's the point in trying to consolidate all the discussion anymore. Why not "new news, new thread" like for pretty much everything else? Things get lost so easily in mega threads.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good start. Now I want to see the ability to buy a key for the game on storefronts like Humble or even the Developers site (which I did for Klei, Slime Rancher and many other games I want to support). Sales too.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
This transfer of payment fees onto consumer, possibly and most likely breaking EU law while doing it and exposing that 12% cut may be unsustainable for Epic is so SO far from "minor issue that doesn't deserve its own thread".

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017

Reading this thread really highlights the little thought that has been made by Epic towards customers. Some payment methods are costly to use, but are the primary means of choice in some countries. Epic's position is laughable - asking of such payment methods "why would you want to support it". How about, because sometimes that what customers want to use and is beneficial to them

They absolutely do not have to "pass those charges to consumers".

They always said that the Dev's are the only and foremost priority of the Epic Store so seeing them screwing the customer over and over doesn't come as a surprise sadly, as far as i'm concerned they can stay on the garbage bin with all of their partnership

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How on Earth could they have not implemented Australian local currency handling...? I mean it won't really make it easier to swallow paying $55 for Ashen despite it looking like an amazing game, it still sucks I get charged foreign purchase tax on top of conversion rates.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I've never seen a vendor charge customers payment processing fees like that. Every vendor I've ever seen would rather not accept payment methods entirely for ones that they don't want to deal with. Also why would they even need to do that? Isn't Epic a multi billion dollar company?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I've never seen a vendor charge customers payment processing fees like that. Every vendor I've ever seen would rather not accept payment methods entirely for ones that they don't want to deal with. Also why would they even need to do that? Isn't Epic a multi billion dollar company?

It would eat into their profits per sale and they made such huge deal about taking just 12% cut there is no way they will take bigger cut from sales.

TL:DR: Greed

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

I've only ever seen it on small local webstores as well as those skeezy sites that resell game keys and have stuff like "purchase shield" services in case you get sent a revoked key or something.

But if the processing fees are that high it's no surprise they're not taking the hit themselves. It's odd, but ultimately there are other 'free' payment options in the store.