• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
an industry better for developers is things like not having a crunch time.

locking your game to a application thats barely up and running with basic features and the publisher just throwing wads of cash at them isnt better for any industry. its why exclusive deals on content for games etc or pre order exclusives people absolutely detest, because its by far and wide anti consumer. and especially indie devs who surely want their games experienced by as many as possible not as a few as possible
Again, the developers chose this.
They feel it's worth the risk, the whole point of the store is that developers want a bigger cut of game sales which means it'll be easier to be profitable.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said that it's good for the developer.
Once the store adds a few more features, all the customer needs to do is spend a few minutes installing a new launcher. It's not like they need to spend money to buy new hardware.
It's going to take them adding more than a few features for me to support them and even than with the moneyhatting they are doing, I would rather wait the year or more to get the game on better platforms.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How this must feel for non-US Era:

EpKQ38Q.jpg

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Good, hopefully they keep up this pace and introduce some new features to incentivize Valve to improve Steam as well.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Again, the developers chose this.
They feel it's worth the risk, the whole point of the store is that developers want a bigger cut of game sales which means it'll be easier to be profitable.

It seems the developers want a bigger cut of game sales, without any benefit for us as consumers. On the contrary: they are signing exclusivity deals with a company that tries to kill pro-consumer stuff like user reviews and 3rd party keystores. Do we actually have to be happy about this?

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How this must feel for non-US Era:

EpKQ38Q.jpg

I'm from Argentina, a country that's currently going through pretty hard economic times. I can tell you that I don't feel "saved" by Epic's changes (which are very minor in comparison to what I've been enjoying on Steam for more than a year now). But who cares, we all know most of the people applauding Epic on this don't have a horse in this race and just want more ammo for their Steam vs Epic console war-style bullcrap.

Oct 25, 2017
Conversely, complaining about a storefront not offering value to consumers can force a storefront to add value.
this was added in like a month, EPIC said they were going to add things in 2019.
It's probably not due to complaining, at least not this fast.
It seems the developers want a bigger cut of game sales, without any benefit for us as consumers. On the contrary: they are signing exclusivity deals with a company that tries to kill pro-consumer stuff like user reviews and 3rd party keystores. Do we actually have to be happy about this?
about the industry being better for those that make the games? Yeah, sure.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
You don't see, from the customer perspective, the issue of a game developer being paid to make their game exclusive to an inferior store/launcher?

I mean, yes it can be an issue for customers, but if a game developer put it on a inferior store, it must be for a reason (and 99% sure it is money) which is better for them which is key here since they are indies (usually).

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Vowing to never shop at a store again, accusations of moneyhatting, and Steam defending is not the same as constructive feedback about storefront features. Brainiac.

Well yeah, some people act in their own interests. You seem to act in Epic's own interest. Some people decided that moneyhatting, no features were not okay. If you like to bend to a huge company's will, go on. I'm not judging you.

Ya think they just spontaneously came up with this in a couple of days? Or maybe they were evaluating, analyzing, and adjusting behind the scenes...

Well yeah. What they announced aren't features. These are policies.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't understand the complaints about Epic Game Store exclusivity, Valve doesn't release their games on other storefronts.

Nobody is complaining about first party exclusives like Fortnite or Half Life being exclusive to their respective stores. If Epic wants to release their own published/developed games exclusively on their platform go ahead, But paying devs to cancel or delay their already announced steam releases (or in TWD's case already released) is a shitty move.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
You actually think Epic would have done this without the massive overreaction?
Uhhh their website and their twitter accounts said they were doing this when this whole new initiative was announced, and here we are a month later and they're starting to make good. People really lose their minds at the thought of Steam having competition, huh?

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
*Launches with shit tier refund policy*
"Gets bad feedback*
*Changes shit tier refund policy*

"Actually, they were always planning to have that second policy, the complaints have nothing to do with it, they just launched with and defend the first policy for shits'n'giggles."

This is what epic stores stans actually believe.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Excellent. The refunds were the only problem I had with them versus Steam. Game forums could be nice for troubleshooting but are not a huge deal for me. I'm pretty stoked about this.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh their website and their twitter accounts said they were doing this when this whole new initiative was announced, and here we are a month later and they're starting to make good. People really lose their minds at the thought of Steam having competition, huh?

They announced they plan 2 refunds per account lifetime + one every NEW YEAR. That means that was the long term plan.

this was added in like a month, EPIC said they were going to add things in 2019.
It's probably not due to complaining, at least not this fast.

about the industry being better for those that make the games? Yeah, sure.

I take it that you only buy your Switch games digitally then, right ? Never physical, right ?

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
They announced they plan 2 refunds per account lifetime + one every NEW YEAR. That means that was the long term plan.

Galyonkin also explicitly stated on twitter that they don't wanna do it any differently because they worry about people abusing a refund policy.
BUT CLEARLY THEY WERE ALWAYS WANTING TO DO IT LIKE THIS

Oct 31, 2017
What's ASTONISHING for me is people who actually think that to compete with a 15 old and well established service is perfectly fine to match its features when it started (and then EVENTUALLY improve things) rather than offering something that is genuinely better and makes the new thing feel like the more appealing option.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you trying to insult me in another language ? do i know you or

A aucun moment je t'insulte Kanozu. On se connait très bien alors ne fais pas l'étranger. :")

Galyonkin also explicitly stated on twitter that they don't wanna do it any differently because they worry about people abusing a refund policy.
BUT CLEARLY THEY WERE ALWAYS WANTING TO DO IT LIKE THIS

Nah, they were working on it. :o)