• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Steam just doesn't support payment methods with high commission, like Pay Safe Card, which takes up to 24%. Regular payment methods don't add extra cost to games on EGS. FYI mobile payment also adds price to steam games, but you'll see it only after checkout.

Also, interesting info regarding games not being cheaper on EGS, while having lower cut from the store. Steam contract demand publishers to sell games with the same price on other stores. Steam also demands publishers to have a discount if a game was discounted on another store. (Speaking of "competition")

Are you a developer yourself or do you have sources for this?

If Steam contract demand publishers to sell games with the same price on other stores, how do you explain that many games are cheaper on other stores like GMG and Humble? Or doesn't this count because these stores also sell Steam keys?

Also, games on EGS that aren't on Steam have the same price than other stores charging 30 percent as well. That's definitely not Valves fault.

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
Are you a developer yourself or do you have sources for this?

If Steam contract demand publishers to sell games with the same price on other stores, how do you explain that many games are cheaper on other stores like GMG and Humble? Or doesn't this count because these stores also sell Steam keys?

Also, games on EGS that aren't on Steam have the same price than other stores charging 30 percent as well. That's definitely not Valves fault.

It's on the guidelines for key generation, I remember reading it in a thread here. However, I don't believe Steam enforces it very much, if you don't actually abuse the system. It's probably there to avoid selling keys for 1 cent on a shady site or something.

EDIT: Here: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/keys

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone here is saying that EGS isn't using anti-competitive practices. It's just that Steam doesn't exactly encourage competition either.

Epic should at least be letting developers sell keys for their games on other stores though.
They allow Steam keys to be sold at hundreds of other websites. Sites like GreenManGaming basically exist solely because of this.
There is only one source where you can buy Ashen or Journey or Hades

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
encourage competition either.

EGS setup will never even have the chance of promoting competition, considering you can only buy the game in one spot. Even with the changing policies (unstable much) and possible actual additions to their store, they will never promote competition unless they offer other ways to buy keys from third party sites. Like steam allows.

Consumers don't really care about competition DEV side wise because it doesn't affect consumers.

NoTime

Oct 30, 2017
You mean quickly changing policies. Changed a couple times throughout that two weeks.

EGS is pretty anti competitive out of the gate especially since epic is requiring the exclusivity inorder to get the bags of money.

Galyokin in his podcast spoke about EGS back in 9th of December and was speaking about all the features like user reviews, refunds, more local prices and other stuff being added in near future. They launched as soon it was ready to go, to get the feedback and upgrade as they go, just like they do with the Fortnite.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Steam just doesn't support payment methods with high commission, like Pay Safe Card, which takes up to 24%. Regular payment methods don't add extra cost to games on EGS. FYI mobile payment also adds price to steam games, but you'll see it only after checkout.

Steam supports paysafecard though. No extra fees.

gB3ssAE.png

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
Galyokin in his podcast spoke about EGS back in 9th of December and was speaking about all the features like user reviews, refunds, more local prices and other stuff being added in near future. They launched as soon it was ready to go, to get the feedback and upgrade as they go, just like they do with the Fortnite.

they launched so they could do a bunch of announcements at The Game Awards

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan

Adding features won't help them be competitive. They aren't adding refund as it existed, but was very anti consumer. They have changed it a couple of times, current last two methods were better then the original at least.

Also feels rushed as some of those features yet to be added are standard and other launcher launched with them.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
And knowing they wouldn't sell games in their store with the abysmal launch, they moneyhatted developers to make those games exclusives to their store.

It makes me wonder why they couldn't wait longer and actually release a competitive store and launcher. It's not that Fortnite will stop printing in the near future.

NoTime

Oct 30, 2017
Adding features won't help them be competitive. They aren't adding refund as it existed, but was very anti consumer. They have changed it a couple of times, current last two methods were better then the original at least.

Also feels rushed as some of those features yet to be added are standard and other launcher launched with them.

I just want to be clear, I'm neither EGS fan nor saying it is doing everything right. I'm just waiting for it's full launch (it's still in beta) and watching how it's already making Steam to change for the better.

Yes, I know Epic Store has some awful practices.

Lol, added wrong pic, sorry)

6ed132ee-dfb4-1e02-b13d-69c4e2b945ae

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They allow Steam keys to be sold at hundreds of other websites. Sites like GreenManGaming basically exist solely because of this.
The problem is more inherently with people needing to use Steam to play games at all, or rather with Steam being tied to a store. When Steam keys are sold at other websites, it results in, you know, more people using Steam. An application that when started, the first thing the user sees is the Steam store. And gives pop ups of deals on Steam. Making it so that when someone buys a game that uses Steam on another store, that that someone will still be more likely to buy other games on Steam in the future.

I mean, it's not like when people buy a game on Steam it'll encourage people to buy games from a different store.

Yes I know that EGS has the same problem requiring people to use it to download and in some cases play games. I'm not defending Epic's anti-competitive practices here, I'm just saying Steam isn't exactly trying to be competitive either. I think people are in the right to criticize Epic, just y'all shouldn't be constantly acting like Steam's some great perfect service that encourages competition while doing so.

EGS setup will never even have the chance of promoting competition, considering you can only buy the game in one spot. Even with the changing policies (unstable much) and possible actual additions to their store, they will never promote competition unless they offer other ways to buy keys from the party sites. Like steam allows.

Consumers don't really care about competition DEV side wise because it doesn't affect consumers.
I agree. You'd know that if you actually read my (only three sentence long) post rather than just those three words you quoted.

NoTime

Oct 30, 2017
Yes I know that EGS has the same problem requiring people to use it to download and in some cases play games. I'm not defending Epic's anti-competitive practices here, I'm just saying Steam isn't exactly trying to be competitive either. I think people are in the right to criticize Epic, just y'all shouldn't be constantly acting like Steam's some great perfect service that encourages competition while doing so.
This is the shit! Exactly my thoughts

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to be clear, I'm neither EGS fan nor saying it is doing everything right. I'm just waiting for it's full launch (it's still in beta) and watching how it's already making Steam to change for the better.

Lol, added wrong pic, sorry)

6ed132ee-dfb4-1e02-b13d-69c4e2b945ae

Yeah no payment method here does that,
Steam doesn't even offer any payment by call/sms here either, even though it has historically been popular.

I guess that extra fee is charged by Xsolla? (Can't read Russian, if it says anything about that)
Not that it matters as end result is still the same and bad not to mention beforehand.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
needing to use Steam

This is a whole different issue. DRM came out of necessity from the old days and is it's own issue.

Some games don't require steam running to play. Then some other games only put their game on steam. Then if some use the free to use steamworks feature to have to use steam. It is up to the dev really.

Epic is supposedly the same but it's just as shady, don't update your subnautica from them as they added DRM to it.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a whole different issue. DRM came out of necessity from the old days and is it's own issue.

Some games don't require steam running to play. The other games only put their game on steam. Then if send use the free to use steamworks going to have to use steam. It is up to the dev really.

Epic is supposedly the same but it's just as shady, don't update your subnautica from them as they added DRM to it.
Are you not capable of reading posts beyond a few select words?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is more inherently with people needing to use Steam to play games at all, or rather with Steam being tied to a store. When Steam keys are sold at other websites, it results in, you know, more people using Steam. An application that when started, the first thing the user sees is the Steam store. And gives pop ups of deals on Steam. Making it more likely that when someone buys a game that uses Steam on another store, that that someone will be more likely to buy other games on Steam in the future

Did you play on PC in the days of Direct2drive? Because that's the dystopia you're describing if you'd just buy and download directly from stores. Apart from being a general pain in the ass to track what you bought where, guess what happened when D2D inevitably went tits up? I lost all my games (read: licenses) I purchased there. Same thing with Desura, but at least that was DRM free IIRC. This would be a total regression. Valve at the very least has stated that they will take steps to ensure people will continue to be able to download games purchased from them if something happens to Steam.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
An application that when started, the first thing the user sees is the Steam store.

This has not been true for me for several years now - when I boot up Steam it goes directly to my library. Sales pop-ups though do happen, and as well they have a notification on the client for specific store-related event announcements.

I think you have this backwards. Valve's store and client requires Epic to be competitive, which it is failing to do on almost every front. It lacks almost all of the featureset and can only tempt users over by forcing them to buy exclusively from their storefront and client. Epic has a few hands played and generally fooled the "Competition is Good!" crowd, as Epic's competition is extremely strong and yet they have had the weakest showing of any storefront and client in 2018/2019. It may get better as time goes on, but they're not competing with clients from 5-10 years ago, they're competing with clients in 2019.

For a company that has supposedly held a massive, unchallenged monopoly for so long, Valve sure has done a lot in the past 5-6 years to enhance their client, service, and increase the quality of life for gamers and developers alike. Somehow, that doesn't quite match up to the narrative being pushed so hard by Epic and repeated ad nauseam by the press and posters here and elsewhere.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I did but I am not, will I think, getting either side of the fence. I am not someone who only uses steam, feel like being pretty neutral here.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is more inherently with people needing to use Steam to play games at all, or rather with Steam being tied to a store. When Steam keys are sold at other websites, it results in, you know, more people using Steam. An application that when started, the first thing the user sees is the Steam store. And gives pop ups of deals on Steam. Making it more likely that when someone buys a game that uses Steam on another store, that that someone will be more likely to buy other games on Steam in the future.

I mean, it's not like when people buy a game on Steam it'll encourage people to buy games from a different store.

I mean Steam obviously doesn't "encourage" competition, no business does that really. Of course they don't let you buy keys on GmG because of the goodness of their hearts, that's fine. For me it's really all about "Does this benefit me?". And since this benefits me more than it hurts me I see it as a good move. I have no doubt that it is also a good move for Valve business wise but that's not a bad thing since.

However Steam seems......less anti-competition than Epic is at this stage. Steam never really cared about exclusives, at least no publicly. Stuff like Hades being on the Epic store only doesn't bother me that much even though I would like to see the game on Steam. But that's fine. What bothers me are games like Ashen and Division 2 that already had Steam pages and then just got pulled to be on Epic's store instead. Or the final season of The Walking Dead where you can only get episodes 3 and 4 through the Epic store. That just sucks, fuck off with that.

I wish Epic would compete with Steam with cool new features but they really don't. They offer less for me as a customer and that sucks.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is more inherently with people needing to use Steam to play games at all, or rather with Steam being tied to a store. When Steam keys are sold at other websites, it results in, you know, more people using Steam. An application that when started, the first thing the user sees is the Steam store. And gives pop ups of deals on Steam. Making it more likely that when someone buys a game that uses Steam on another store, that that someone will be more likely to buy other games on Steam in the future.

Well that's why Steam offers free keys. But still it's always developer decision to do that.

Developers could easily sell game on other services too and many choose to do so (GoG, Origin, Discord has large selection of those). THQ Nordic is great example of this, they put games on Steam, GoG, Discord, Origin and Epic Store.

Valve even offers help in porting by making open source version of their multiplayer libary for non-steam use.

NoTime

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah no payment method here does that,
Steam doesn't even offer any payment by call/sms here either, even though it has historically been popular.

I guess that extra fee is charged by Xsolla? (Can't read Russian, if it says anything about that)
Not that it matters as end result is still the same and bad not to mention beforehand.
It just mentions that the payment is done through the Xsolla, without mentioning of extra fee.

Yes, many countries with low regional prices on Steam do not include payment processor fee into the actual price, with some of the payment processors. As far as I'm aware direct payment with a credit card always doesn't have any extra fee. EGS is even showing that you'll pay extra (which is going directly to the payment processor and not EGS), while Steam doesn't, until you actually do the payment. Also, they said that they are currently working on deals with payment processors, to lower the cut plus the optional possibility for devs to pay the fee for the player.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
I kinda wonder if now that the Epic Games Launcher is going to attract more attention, maybe it is time to revive New Unreal Tournament now and get some more eyes on it.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wonder if now that the Epic Games Launcher is going to attract more attention, maybe it is time to revive New Unreal Tournament now and get some more eyes on it.
Doubt it. As soon as Fortnite popularity exploded and it became a printing money machine, Epic has only focused on Fortnite. I understand the new Unreal Tournament is basically dead at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Yes, many countries with low regional prices on Steam do not include payment processor fee into the actual price, with some of the payment processors. As far as I'm aware direct payment with a credit card always doesn't have any extra fee. EGS is even showing that you'll pay extra (which is going

As some one who lives in a country with regional pricing, cc do get fees.

Since steam is regional here, there are no fees. I got them before because it was considered an international purchase.

NoTime

Oct 30, 2017
Doubt it. As soon as Fortnite popularity exploded and it became a printing money machine, Epic has only focused on Fortnite. I understand the new Unreal Tournament is basically dead at this point.
I think they even publicly said that they stopped development of the new UT.

What bothers me are games like Ashen and Division 2 that already had Steam pages and then just got pulled to be on Epic's store instead. Or the final season of The Walking Dead where you can only get episodes 3 and 4 through the Epic store. That just sucks, fuck off with that.

I wonder if exclusives are the main reason for all the salt surrounding EGS launch.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I wonder if exclusives are the main reason for all the salt surrounding EGS launch.

Or more like titles that were originally planned and had a store page on another storefront was made exclusive to another.

If its time, dont really care but its exclusive throughout, that sucks.

Now if they were to bring in a console game that was never on PC say for an example Journey, that would be cool.

Anyways, redeemed What Remains of Edith Finch!

Slixshot

Oct 27, 2017

NoTime

Oct 30, 2017
Now if they were to bring in a console game that was never on PC say for an example Journey, that would be cool.

They also funded the last 2 episodes of TWD, which apparently no one wanted to pick up.
I'm pretty sure that moving forward they will fund more games rather than just straight up buying ready products, because, in the beginning, they needed some starting library to launch the store. Anyhow it won't lower the number of exclusives, which probably will keep people mad

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
They also funded the last 2 episodes of TWD, which apparently no one wanted to pick up.
I'm pretty sure that moving forward they will fund more games rather than just straight up buying ready products, because, in the beginning, they needed some starting library to launch the store. Anyhow it won't lower the number of exclusives, which probably will keep people mad

Yep, still sucks that I wont be able to get TWD FS on steam but at least it will be finished and I can still buy it....hopefully sales events are good on EGS.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Has Skybound actually said that they did not have the capability to fund TWD's final episodes on their own? They announced that they picked the title up some time before the Epic store announcement, which some people seem to have missed. Epic is providing funding, but I do not think that the last two episodes would never have existed without them - they could have simply allowed Skybound to take the project on risk-free by providing funding after the property and code switched hands.

NoTime

Oct 30, 2017
Has Skybound actually said that they did not have the capability to fund TWD's final episodes on their own? They announced that they picked the title up some time before the Epic store announcement, which some people seem to have missed. Epic is providing funding, but I do not think that the last two episodes would never have existed without them - they could have simply allowed Skybound to take the project on risk-free by providing funding after the property and code switched hands.
I also saw this, but I'm pretty sure that they were speaking with Epic from the very beginning, because Epic was speaking with many devs since around summer. Epic didn't want to buy the studio, so Skybound picked the guys up and Epic funded the game. I might be totally wrong but according to what Epic said it seems like it.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
They are pretty much the only reason as far as I can tell. Nobody would care about the EGS if it wasn't for those exclusive games - which is obviously why Epic went so hard after them.

They just had to look at Discord and their store. It is dead. for most gamers, they don't even know it was alive at some point.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I also saw this, but I'm pretty sure that they were speaking with Epic from the very beginning, because Epic was speaking with many devs since around summer. Epic didn't want to buy the studio, so Skybound picked the guys up and Epic funded the game. I might be totally wrong but according to what Epic said it seems like it.

Don't think that's how it went down at all.
If Epic had saved TWD, they would have shouted it from the rooftops the moment the deal was finalized. Why wouldn't they, that's A-Class publicity.

No, the wording is the following:
"With the partnership of Epic we now can bring TWD exclusively to the Epic store."
Translation: Epic is helping them getting on the Epic Store, because you can't just get on it, like they are helping all the other announced games onto their store, by either letting them on or making exclusive deals. Nowhere does it say that Skybound needed the funding to finish TWD.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
If Epic had saved TWD, they would have shouted it from the rooftops the moment the deal was finalized. Why wouldn't they, that's A-Class publicity.

"With the partnership of Epic we now can bring TWD exclusively to the Epic store."
Translation: Epic is helping them getting on the Epic Store, because you can't just get on it, like they are helping all the other announced games onto their store, by either letting them on or making exclusive deals. Nowhere does it say that Skybound needed the funding to finish TWD.

Hmmm I wonder if they arent funding the development for it - would it be possible it could be a timed exclusivity?

Eh, either ways, it'll be a while before I get my hands on a copy of the game - still need to finish majority of the series (only finished Season 1 lol)

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Hmmm I wonder if they arent funding the development for it - would it be possible it could be a timed exclusivity?

Eh, either ways, it'll be a while before I get my hands on a copy of the game - still need to finish majority of the series (only finished Season 1 lol)

Is it possible that the final episodes are fully financed through the money that Epic provided? YES!
That doesn't mean that Skybound didn't have the money to finish the game before the Exclusive announcement. Nowhere does it state something like this.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
The problem is more inherently with people needing to use Steam to play games at all, or rather with Steam being tied to a store. When Steam keys are sold at other websites, it results in, you know, more people using Steam. An application that when started, the first thing the user sees is the Steam store. And gives pop ups of deals on Steam. Making it so that when someone buys a game that uses Steam on another store, that that someone will still be more likely to buy other games on Steam in the future.

Yes I know that EGS has the same problem requiring people to use it to download and in some cases play games.

What? Yeah? Of course.

I'm not seeing the problem here. Valve provides a ton of development work, free services, support, and bandwidth. Of course they want you to use their service and buy more games on it. Valve is a business. They need to make money.

And how else would you download the game? There is no service in existence where you can just download the game without using the service, whether it's Google play, Amazon, Apple store, eShop, PSN, Xbox, Steam, GOG, or Epic. I can't imagine an alternate scenario, except direct downloads from a website.

Publishers/developers don't have to use Steam. They could let you download games from their websites like the bad old days. They can provide them on their own launchers, like Ubisoft. But having a central service is part of what made/makes Steam attractive in the first place.

What is the alternative scenario here? Valve does all this work and provides all these services for nothing at all? Valve doesn't exist? Because you're describing a scenario where there is no central service, not a launcher and not even a downloader. That doesn't make sense, unless the alternative is simply "not Steam" (e.g. Amazon downloads) or the developer's own website.

NoTime

Oct 30, 2017

It seems reasonable, but they don't shout about Journey left and right, which is much bigger get if you ask me. And speaking of Journey they did fund the PC port, probably that was less money than they paid Sony to get the game in the first place, but still.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It seems reasonable, but they don't shout about Journey left and right, which is much bigger get if you ask me. And speaking of Journey they did fund the PC port, probably that was less money than they paid Sony to get the game in the first place, but still.

Did they fund Journey? I don't recall reading about that. Only that it was coming to their store.

NoTime

Oct 30, 2017
Did they fund Journey? I don't recall reading about that. Only that it was coming to their store.
I'm sorry to be redundant, but Galyonkin said a lot of interesting info about EGS and how they got some of the launch games on his podcast. But unless you can understand russian, there is no other way to find this

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry to be redundant, but Galyonkin said a lot of interesting info about EGS and how they got some of the launch games on his podcast. But unless you can understand russian, there is no other way to find this

I do actually happen to understand Russian! Have you got a link to that podcast? I'd love to give it a listen.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Steam obviously doesn't "encourage" competition, no business does that really. Of course they don't let you buy keys on GmG because of the goodness of their hearts, that's fine. For me it's really all about "Does this benefit me?". And since this benefits me more than it hurts me I see it as a good move. I have no doubt that it is also a good move for Valve business wise but that's not a bad thing since.

However Steam seems......less anti-competition than Epic is at this stage. Steam never really cared about exclusives, at least no publicly. Stuff like Hades being on the Epic store only doesn't bother me that much even though I would like to see the game on Steam. But that's fine. What bothers me are games like Ashen and Division 2 that already had Steam pages and then just got pulled to be on Epic's store instead. Or the final season of The Walking Dead where you can only get episodes 3 and 4 through the Epic store. That just sucks, fuck off with that.

I wish Epic would compete with Steam with cool new features but they really don't. They offer less for me as a customer and that sucks.

Oh hell no.

They can fuck right off. Unbelievable.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Going through the aforementioned podcast with Galyonkin and a bunch of really interesting tidbits came up already.

EGS will not focus on discovery like Valve. Instead, they will have a curated front page like the App Store. The primary way of "discovering" games will be developers giving out keys to streamers through EGS. Streamers of course are inventivized to "sell" games because they can get a cut of the sale.

You will also eventually be able to follow games and get notifications about big updates and such, which may help get visibility to your game.

Cloud saves coming around February.

By the end of 2019, EGS will open to self-publishing.

EGS will give developers as much info on players as is legally possible. He mentioned something about being able to see what other games consumers are playing. I'm not sure this would be allowed by default under GDPR however.

This data will not be publicly available. There will be an API that can be scraped to facilitate a potential "Epic Spy" but they will not offer that service themselves.

The launch build of games are tested for playability.

A little hazy on this part, but, from what I understood, EGS is currently also doing off-site marketing for the games that are on their store. I don't recall if that's just for exclusives. Don't believe they said anything about that once the store goes open for self publishing.

No massive seasonal sale events like on Steam. This is said to kill sales for games that don't do a discount in that period as well as for new games. Instead, games on sale will be featured alongside the regular stuff.

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
EGS will not focus on discovery like Valve. Instead, they will have a curated front page like the App Store. The primary way of "discovering" games will be developers giving out keys to streamers through EGS.

Needlessly limiting the reach that EGS games have. I've never watched a streamer, and the only one I've even considered watching is one of my uni friends. I don't have the time to waste watching someone else play a game, unless its a friend and we're in the same room, and even that is just a by-product of socialising. And there's going to be a not insignificant number of people like me that feel the same way - many people with full-time jobs, a partner, and/or kids are going to miss games with this manner of "discovery".

If they stay true to this, I can see the long-tail on EGS games being pretty poor, and it becoming the place to get a game first, with Steam (and even Origin) being the place where games go after they've had that initial burst of popularity. So, timed exclusives (whether contracted or not) are here to stay, I think.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Valve will ever do commission. Gabe did talk about the idea several years ago.