• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
IT DOESN'T

I'm providing further context for your claim that Epic is part of the Khronos group, said in reply to my questioning why Epic doesn't contribute to OpenXR.

I'd be all for a huge company like Epic actually contributing to an open sourced VR API. I'd actually love it for OpenXR to take off over SteamVR.

But surely Epic & UE4 supporting these technologies is a huge positive for VR vs. them going off to develop their own?

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned - Trolling
Man this is so wonderful to finally play. I had the PS4 version and played it on my tv. But finally getting to play it on the Vive is incredible. It's sooo cool and completely washes over you. Great to finally have this on PC.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Like, I get it, you hate Epic because China or competition or whatever
This is an extremely strong claim to make with no basis.

If we're gonna be mad about this, are we also gonna be mad about games that use Unreal Engine being sold on Steam?
Unreal Engine costs money
Steam VR does not.
They're not exactly comparable products.
this was YOUR analogy!

Wow, this thread delivers. 10/10

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't epic contribute to the VR consortium, OpenXR, or OpenVR, like Valve does?
Maybe not code contributions, but the OpenXR Working group chair is/was Nick Whiting from Epic. Several dev sessions I've watched have featured him as speaker.

I'm not gonna argue that this doesn't expose Epic's hypocrisy re: the 30% cut Valve takes. But given how many other ways they are playing catch-up to Steam in terms of store features, I would imagine writing their own implementation of OpenVR is pretty far down the list. I'm no fan of the way Epic is buying exclusives in the PC space but this is not a big deal IMO. I've downloaded plenty of games/demos from itch.io and elsewhere that use Oculus and/or SteamVR that aren't on their respective stores.

Edit: looked it up. Whiting is no longer chair as of earlier this year - it was passed to Brent Insko at Intel.

Last edited:

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Epic and Valve both are businesses in a free market within a legal system. If Valve offers SteamVR for free, then Epic (or any developer) is in their right to use it. If that creates a problem for Valve, they are free to start charging for it any day.

At the same time, Valve is in their right to charge 30% or anything they want to other companies. And Epic has the right to charge less and invest less on technologies and their client. And it's also right to buy exclusives as long as the legal system allows them to do so.

All that are business strategies, and all corporations do them because they expect to get some return. Valve too.
What I'm not going to do is to give all those business strategies a moral tag. Let every person buy or support whatever they like most, but not make it an ethical issue.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Epic and Valve both are businesses in a free market within a legal system. If Valve offers SteamVR for free, then Epic (or any developer) is in their right to use it. If that creates a problem for Valve, they are free to start charging for it any day.

At the same time, Valve is in their right to charge 30% or anything they want to other companies. And Epic has the right to charge less and invest less on technologies and their client. And it's also right to buy exclusives as long as the legal system allows them to do so.

All that are business strategies, and all corporations do them because they expect to get some return. Valve too.
What I'm not going to do is to give all those business strategies a moral tag. Let every person buy or support whatever they like most, but not make it an ethical issue.
I'm not either. But I can look at how those strategies benefit me, and clearly one has better benefits than the other. Moreover, hypocrisy grinds my gears and one is far more guilty of it than the other, by orders of magnitude.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I've not made this an ethical issue. This is strictly a business issue for me. This type of stuff hurts my industry.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
There is literally an alternative from the exact same source, with the exact same feature set, that doesn't require Steam launching. You really don't see the slap in the face of paying money to keep a game off a client, but requiring that client to launch just to run the game?

It's also further evidence that these Epic deals come very late in the game development process if they had already integrated SteamVR into the release (because it was pretty obviously planned for a Steam release originally, until Epic paid to keep it off steam).
I mean not really. SteamVR actually does not need to be run from steam at all. The only reason they are doing this is to not have to update steamvr manually in the game every time you want to play.

But it will, right? Unless their site is out of date.

It won't. Tim specifically mentioned this would be on developers to implement.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't need any more reasons to avoid the EGS, but this certainly makes it even easier. Epic is full of shit and I'll have nothing to do with them.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is hysterical but personally, I'm just glad that it also has Oculus SDK support. If it had to launch out to SteamVR for my Rift, I probably couldn't even get the game working. SteamVR loves to hit me with 301 and 306 error codes for everything.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean not really. SteamVR actually does not need to be run from steam at all. The only reason they are doing this is to not have to update steamvr manually in the game every time you want to play.

I didn't say SteamVR has to be run from Steam. I said SteamVR IS steam. Steam, the client, itself is a huge bundle of open and free technologies in one package. You install SteamVR, by installing Steam.

That's literally why OpenVR exists. It's SteamVR without Steam.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
The cut for this game is still 12%, because it's on EGS. What is dishonest or confusing here? How is it PR? The cut is still 12%.

Yes, and they paid the developer. The developer makes money here. If Valve wanted to monetize SteamVR, they could charge a license fee. They do not, and OpenVR (which this game does not use, as is the developer's choice) is free. Epic is not stealing money from anyone here: They're handing the developer money.

Valve doesn't earn the 30% cut. If Valve wants to charge money for SteamVR they should. They don't, so Epic has no obligation to fund or pay for SteamVR. In the first place Epic is not using SteamVR here, the game developer is: Why should Epic be obligated to force the developer to modify their game?

IS Valve really "generous" when they're ripping off indies while offering AAA a sub-30% cut? Just because they gave away SteamVR? Is that really what you're saying?

Good point.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México

100% agreed.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
So, I'm guessing the game was meant to come out on steam and was scooped up at the last second.

Also lol at certain people itt bending over backwards to dismiss legitimate criticisms about Epic's hypocrisy.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Krejlooc just saying I feel you for having to repeat the same thing over and over. Having your point being downplayed and/or misinterpreted constantly is shit.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Using another stores features because you don't want to invest in making one yourself

Can't wait to see which store's shopping cart they use

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Steamvr was designed and promoted as an open platform. Epic is not developing a competing vr technology. why wouldn't they use steamvr like everybody else (except the one rival, oculus) does?

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This IS pretty weird and funny, but I don't buy that the 30% cut is the sole reason that Valve can fund OpenVR/SteamVR development.

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Oculus was actually funding the development of games, and helping build them so I don't think it really was.
This has been true more recently but they did pay for temp exclusivity on some games in the one year window after CV1 launched. Giant Cop comes to mind. Now that they've established a market they don't seem to be using that strategy anymore, thankfully. They really need to open up their store to other headsets though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean Oculus was actually funding the development of games, and helping build them so I don't think it really was.

Oculus approached the Serious Sam developers as they were wrapping up the Serious Sam VR trilogy to ask them for exclusive rights to distribution. Directly from Mario Kotlar:

They tried to buy Serious Sam VR as well. It wasn't easy, but we turned down a shitton of money, as we believe that truly good games will sell by themselves and make profit in the long run regardless. And also because we hate exclusives as much as you do.
Dat shitton of money tho…

One could argue that the non-funded Oculus Quest exclusives they buy also prevents them from coming to the similarly capable DayDream or Vive Focus, but I'm realistic and realize nobody picked up DayDream development at all.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
So, I'm guessing the game was meant to come out on steam and was scooped up at the last second.

Thats the case for most EGS exclusives. Devs, who were offered a deal and took it talked about it and devs who were offered a deal and rejected it also talked about it.
Epic is buying exclusivity for games that already were planned for Steam and other storefronts.

When the 1 year exclusivity is up, you can see at SteamDB since when the game was planned for Steam.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
It's rather PC gamers that are lucky that Valve is so relaxed about it, Valve trying to compete with Epic on their terms will be harmful for everyone involved except for Epic and a few devs that profit from Epics tactics.

Yeah I agree with this. Valve could be some rrreeeeaaalll assholes if they wanted to be about this whole situation. Not buying up exclusives in some tit for tat nonsense and allowing this to be used is a positive far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for all the knowledge OP, been an informative thread.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I love to laugh a Sweeney's hypocrisy as much as anyone, but is this even Epic's fault? Isn't it up to the developer to use OpenVR instead of SteamVR?
I'd like more commentary on this as well. I mean, I guess it implies that this game was going to originally be on Steam before the exclusive deal, but if this is more about Epic moneyhatting and not so much about the game itself, that's perhaps a more important distinction to make.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

Pointing out hypocrisies in how businesses operate is a function of a free market. "These businesses are operating under capitalism" is never a justification for not criticising them.

Especially given Epic's rhetoric as presented their marketing is that the purpose of EGS is to "advance the cause of all developers".

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Steamvr was designed and promoted as an open platform. Epic is not developing a competing vr technology. why wouldn't they use steamvr like everybody else (except the one rival, oculus) does?

No, SteamVR was designed to be the steam cross-platform API that everyone can use. OpenVR, which epic is not using, is promoted as their Open platform.

Epic claims to be a "contributing member" of OpenXR, but doesn't even roll OpenXR support into UE4. They have also yet to provide any actual code contributions to the project.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
This has been true more recently but they did pay for temp exclusivity on some games in the one year window after CV1 launched. Giant Cop comes to mind. Now that they've established a market they don't seem to be using that strategy anymore, thankfully. They really need to open up their store to other headsets though.
I mean they used to stop Revive, and actually stopped doing that entirely.
OpenVR, which epic is not using, is promoted as their Open platform.

But Epic isn't the one making tetris effect.

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
you're under arrest for violations of Poe's Law
Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but creating those feature libraries requires time and effort and skills I don't think every small dev team has. That extra 15% is going to be paying bills for most if not all of them. And for the likes of Ubi and 2K, they have no interest in improving the PC ecosystem at all, the 15% will go to executive compensation and bonuses.
I'm highly skeptical of this argument. Most developer studios are smaller than Epic and yet Epic (a multi-billion dollar company just like Valve) chose not to invest in VR technology and have to utilize their competitor's product.
I thought the "features don't count" bit was clear enough. But yeah, you never know in this day and age.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean they used to stop Revive, and actually stopped doing that entirely.

They stopped doing it entirely, because developers threatened to not support their API all together. At that time, the Vive had a very decisive sales advantage in the market, they couldn't risk their nacient API being left behind right out of the gate. The very logical argument put forth by not only developers, but oculus themselves prior to acquisition, was that early VR titles need to reach as many potential customers as possible because the market size literally didn't support exclusivity.

They dropped killing off Revive, because they literally could not afford to do so.

And, ironically, Revive (and thus Oculus cross-platform support) only existed because it used SteamVR (and then later OpenVR) as a backbone. Although, thankfully, they're moving to OpenXR in the near future.

But Epic isn't the one making tetris effect.

A) I have laid blame at the developer's feet ITT

B) Epic is the one with the stipulation that you can't sell on steam in the first place. It's literally epic's policy that makes this even a thing.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Pointing out hypocrisies in how businesses operate is a function of a free market. "These businesses are operating under capitalism" is never a justification for not criticising them.

Especially given Epic's rhetoric as presented their marketing is that the purpose of EGS is to "advance the cause of all developers".

I do agree, but I can also see how a focus on this can dangerously turn into something like corporate allegiance from consumers. I don't think consumers are able to remove ethics or morality from their purchasing choices, but it gets weird when ppl start ascribing corps as ppl (tho i suppose legally they are lmao....) and imo a lil unhealthy. not saying that's what's going on in this thread, just that an emphasis on calling things out begins to frame this consumer/corp relationship in an unrealistic way, like the corps are there to satisfy consumers personal desires rather than coax them into spending.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very sure you know how much SteamVR costs to develop. Totally.
You should re-read this thread because posters already gave you the answer. The costs of developing SteamVR is literally cost-free*!

(*as long as another company has to fund the development and you can take their software for free but also blame them for having costs because they fund developments. Additional exceptions may apply.)

Edit: woah... seeing Krejlooc getting banned while the obvious trolls keep trolling is kinda sad.

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017

"Epic believes that open standards like OpenXR are essential foundations for a vibrant, multi-platform VR and AR industry in the coming years. We've supported OpenXR since its inception, including powering the first public demo of OpenXR at Siggraph last year, and hope to see the ecosystem continue to grow with the first public release of the spec at GDC," said Tim Sweeney, founder and CEO of Epic Games, in a statement. "Epic plans to continue supporting OpenXR in Unreal Engine 4."

March 2019.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
900x900px-ll-80669158_funny-gif-no-no-no-jason-bateman.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.