• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm wondering: if the problem is that a game on EGS is using Valve's work, wouldn't the problem still be there if they used OpenVR without SteamVR? Cause OpenVR is still developed by Valve.

Oct 26, 2017

Ah thanks, that's not the same as not supporting VR at an engine level, but it wouldn't hurt to add a VR version of the store, at the far end of a long, long list of things to add.

so you just gonna ignore how they did OSVR?
I don't have a good knowledge of the history of this, I know that Epic have chaired the OSXR group, and they have made efforts to demo these WIP APIs in Unreal Engine.
I have a sneaking suspicion that Epic would like OSXR to be bigger than Steam VR, but I don't know.

Last edited:

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't emphasize this enough: This is not an "epic good valve bad" situation. I find the EGS app to be bad and some of their promotional techniques are grotesque. I'm a die-hard Valve hater and my personal preference leans toward Itch with its developer-friendly monetization strategy. I'm annoyed that there are 8 stores out there and all of them have their own problems (good lord, Origin and UPlay are a pain...)

This literally is not an epic versus valve problem. This is a problem with how the game market currently works. It's even worse on Android and iOS because you basically have no alternatives - you're locked into that 30%. At least on PC you can go elsewhere if you think you can survive without Steam's visibility and popularity. Epic breaking the monopoly would be good, but Epic establishing a new monopoly would be bad and this applies to any big player in the market. The ideal is closer to 'EGS, Steam, and Itch all operate in this market and offer different advantages, and you can buy games where you want', with the caveat that it sucks if the most popular store charges devs ~3x more (you're not going to be benefiting from steamworks if you're on 3 stores).

When I release my next title I'm probably not going to opt to skip Steam just because or "on principle" because the sales are usually there. People want to buy games on Steam, which is their choice (even if their reasoning is weird and they get REALLY HEATED about it). But I'm also not going to turn down a better cut from Humble or Epic or Itch if I think it works better for me and doesn't hurt my customers. I don't see how Epic handing a dev some $ for exclusivity, offering them a lower cut, and letting them sell a title at whatever price they want hurts customers. Something like spying on customers or requiring the installation of really bad services/apps would be another matter, but despite EGS being a kind of shitty client it doesn't do anything bad to your PC as far as I know.

Also keep in mind exclusivity almost always comes with incentives that help the developer, cash or otherwise. Ports sometimes come with incentives too. Many games wouldn't ship without the benefit of these incentives (iirc Cup

The cancellation of preorder steam keys is gross though. I don't know what epic and devs were thinking in that case, it's just bad business and exclusives shouldn't work that way. :/
You say that but it's hard to see or even believe that's the case when you were shitting on other posts with posts that didn't make any sense and you also were rushing to the defense of epic using the steam vr just because. We all know that epic exclusivity is giving extra money to the devs but I bet you those devs will be getting the side eye from alot of people who don't want to support the epic store and maybe won't buy their game in a year when exclusivity is done. I also bet you that in the long run those devs will see less sales and possibly be a long term mistake for short term gain.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if it's available and it works why not use it.
The beauty of PC, things don't need to be tied down to a specific app to work. Even if there wasn't a Steam VR another way would have been around anyway, someone would have found a way to use Oculus VR outside of it's Dashboard, just like people got Steam Controller working outside of Steam.

I use my Steam Controller for all my games, from Epic Games Store, to Origin. The only game I had on Windows Store was when I tried Forza Horizons 4 and I used the Steam Controller for that too. When I first got the controller I was bummed that it wasn't made to work without steam running, and even running not all games worked with it well but the openness of PC finds away around obstacles, even PSVR on PC.

Last edited:

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Ah thanks, that's not the same as not supporting VR at an engine level, but it wouldn't hurt to add a VR version of the store, at the far end of a long, long list of things to add.

I don't have a good knowledge of the history of this, I know that Epic have chaired the OSXR group, and they have made efforts to demo these WIP APIs in Unreal Engine.
I mean it's a shame because tim also said they'd support it, but still don't.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Valve is harming the industry!

Now excuse me while we take advantage of their freely available technology to let games run on our store.

The hypocrisy in Sweeney's pitch for the EGS is a major factor why I have a major distaste for it, on top of all the obvious issues.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm wondering: if the problem is that a game on EGS is using Valve's work, wouldn't the problem still be there if they used OpenVR without SteamVR? Cause OpenVR is still developed by Valve.
But people aren't saying it's a problem?

It's just example for the "Valve doesn't deserve/do enough for the 30%" and "if not for Epic, the games previously exclusive to PS4 wouldn't come to PC" (even if the thread is not directly about the latter - if that wasn't a last minute moneyhat, they'd probably pay attention to it) being pretty bullshit.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Arguing in Bad Faith
But people aren't saying it's a problem?

It's just example for the "Valve doesn't deserve/do enough for the 30%" and "if not for Epic, the games previously exclusive to PS4 wouldn't come to PC" (even if the thread is not directly about the latter - if that wasn't a last minute moneyhat, they'd probably pay attention to it) being pretty bullshit.
The thread creator pretty clearly has a problem with it using OpenVR with SteamVR.

JesseDeya

Oct 27, 2017
Valve can afford to develop steam VR because they are a multi-billion-dollar private company. They could continue to develop it even without taking 30% of every indie's revenue. This literally has nothing to do with the 30% cut. What are you proposing? The game's cut has to be 30% because they use SteamVR? Why?

The game obviously uses steam VR because it was developed for steam VR. Why would this change just because Epic offered them money for a timed PC exclusive? Why should they pull out a working solution just because they're on EGS? Do you really think Epic should require the developer to change APIs just for that reason?

Glad someone said it.

Valve reducing their cut to something <30% does not preclude development of things like SteamVR.

This is akin to being mad that something isn't on the Windows Store but has the nerve to use DirectX as an API.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
It's always one of the things that impresses me most. It's like this in every thread. He is super smart and needs to repeat points constantly.
and he always gets the worst for it. The same thing happened to him on gaf. There some really fucking stupid backwards arguments here that shouldn't even be, but the one dev who's keeping their logic straight doesn't get to stick around.

So much for the "poor devs" I guess. Krejlooc deserves better.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
The thread creator pretty clearly has a problem with it using OpenVR with SteamVR.
He doesn't? I see it as "look, they are not even trying to hide it". Especially with how Epic are trying to paint themselves and Valve.
I assume you meant "using SteamVR over OpenVR", because your post kinda doesn't make sense.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Are you sure about that?

Why this is even more notable is that this explicitly launches STEAMVR, not OpenVR which is a version of SteamVR (still made by Valve) that is "SteamVR without needing Steam." Instead, they literally launch SteamVR from the game. This is because a huge portion of valve's revenue intake from the last several years went into creating things like SteamVR which no other company in PC gaming has a realistic multi-headset alternative.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did Krejlooc request a ban before he burst a blood vessel arguing with disingenuous idiots? I'm very confused.
He has done that before (in another Epic related thread I think, actually). So I wouldn't be surprised.

Seems he got banned for that post.
Screen_Shot_2017-11-06_at_12.41.31_PM.png

A member in this thread literally posted "I get it, you don't like Epic because of competition or china or whatever".

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that VR games on EGS with Vive needs Steam, a competitor that they block developers to release their games on. I mean with all the money they pump out, why not make a standalone OpenVR implementation or implement it into EGS? Even though 99% of all Vive owners already uses Steam, this sends more traffic to the platform they want to kill.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
This has been true more recently but they did pay for temp exclusivity on some games in the one year window after CV1 launched. Giant Cop comes to mind. Now that they've established a market they don't seem to be using that strategy anymore, thankfully. They really need to open up their store to other headsets though.

Thankfully they've really slowed down since the first year of the Rift, but I'm fairly certain they still pay for exclusivity. The lovely bird-flying simulator, Fugl, recently got a VR mode that is exclusive to the Oculus store version of the game. So if you buy it on Steam you can't play in VR. The SteamVR version is set to release exactly 6 months after the Oculus release which is a pretty blatant "paid to not be on this store" timeframe.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
After reading some of the documentation it seems like SteamVR is just a wrapper for the OpenVR API with some additional functionality -- but for the most part OpenVR and SteamVR are the same. I'm pretty surprised they didn't engineer this game to use OpenVR (doesn't need Steam) instead of SteamVR. It's going to create unnecessary drama for EGS like this thread.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
After reading some of the documentation it seems like SteamVR is just a wrapper for the OpenVR API with some additional functionality -- but for the most part OpenVR and SteamVR are the same. I'm pretty surprised they didn't engineer this game to use OpenVR (doesn't need Steam) instead of SteamVR. It's going to create unnecessary drama for EGS like this thread.
I'm almost willing to bet that the devs didn't want to put in the work more than once on getting VR working properly for when this game comes to Steam later.

Just do it once with SteamVR and they're "good to go" for both EGS and the eventual Steam release.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017

I'm assuming Tetris Effect was going to be on Steam until only very recently and everything was coded up with that in mind.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having people outright lie and claim I hate the EGS because I'm racist against China, and watching the mods take no action, is even more shit.
I'm so sorry that your answer to my post was what got you banned. I won't comment on the mods work of course, but I'll say that I think that your anger was justified. :(

I love your all your inputs in here, so here's hoping you'll be back after that week.

Respect.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, and this isn't the only time this happens. UE4 itself uses SteamVR to handle it's virtual reality. For example, every single time I launch the UE4 editor with my VR headset plugged in, it automatically launches Steam because Steam handles the VR portion of UE4 for them:

DmNtbacUwAAtE7U.jpg

is that mega man x sitting there in the SNES?

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I think it's plain and clear that Valve is heavily invested in ensuring that the PC remains a healthy and open gaming platform for the foreseeable future. Their entire business model revolves around it.

Epic, on the other hand, has a much broader focus. I suspect that they make the majority of their revenue from consoles and mobile now. So I am not entirely sure what their long term goal for EGS is (or if one even exists). Selling a small number of heavily curated AA indie games at a 12% cut doesn't sound very profitable compared to their other ventures.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very confused at some of the people in this thread who don't find this to be hilariously hypocritical of Epic.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously.

As soon as I read Kate's first post in this thread, I thought "No...I'm not going to mess with this bullshit." and immediately hit the ignore button.
Haven't ignored anyone since I got an account in 2006 or something at the old place, thinking of starting now. Jesus. The fallacies and the China comment.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Valve is a multibillion dollar company in part because of the 30% cut lmao, which yes in turn funds the development of a VR solution. It would be exceptionally stupid to suggest otherwise.

"Muh indies" is just corporate apologist nonsense.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Fight the good fight Krejlooc, hope to see you return cause you got baited hard by a troll and suffered for it.

Guess Epic defenders have a winning tactic now.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Company CEOs:" We are proud of our exclusive features, it all our team achievement, and we price it accordinly to value their hardwork"

Employee A:" hey, pal, i know you got a solution for our problem, can we use it, even if we are not in the same company?"
Employee B:"Got you, fam. Here, enjoy."

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
This situation is all kinds of fucked.

We're seeing announcements, reviews, discussions and now VR-tools from Steam being used by Epic exclusive games. What's next?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I'm almost willing to bet that the devs didn't want to put in the work more than once on getting VR working properly for when this game comes to Steam later.

Just do it once with SteamVR and they're "good to go" for both EGS and the eventual Steam release.
the devs put in the work to get some leaderboards running

something that would have been much easier if it was on steam

you also get to look forward to that leaderboard breaking or going down in a few years because it's not worth going back and fixing it

but yeah let's chase that short term gain!

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
Having people outright lie and claim I hate the EGS because I'm racist against China, and watching the mods take no action, is even more shit.
I get "mod-whining" as a general rule, whether I agree with it or not, but "repeated hostility throughout the thread"? Have we followed the same thread? It was more like "repeatedly educating the unaware".

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
Attitude or not, Krejlooc has it right.

But because its not immediately obvious to most "gamers", PC or otherwise, this is inevitably going to happen again and again.

I would quit PC gaming altogether before considering supporting a product from Epic's storefront, the same way that I avoid Oculus' storefront and games with oppressive EULAs. But I don't have the means or sanity to keep arguing why that is the way Krejlooc's had to in this thread and others.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
If I was in the market for PC VR, knowing that Steam VR isn't locked behind Steam would make me more likely to buy that headset instead of something else which may not be open to other platforms. This goes both ways, Oculus players can use OR on Steam, meaning more potential to sell Steam games, and game data for Valve.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ah, the classic "Someone deliberately gets on your nerves more and more until you get banned for rightfully going off on them" trick.

It's practically an initiation on this forum tbh

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, SteamVR was designed to be the steam cross-platform API that everyone can use. OpenVR, which epic is not using, is promoted as their Open platform.

Epic claims to be a "contributing member" of OpenXR, but doesn't even roll OpenXR support into UE4. They have also yet to provide any actual code contributions to the project.

They are the same thing my dude. here is the official github readme:

b29e98987b.png

some more info:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr/issues/291

Status
Not open for further replies.