• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Just announced at the State of Unreal @ GDC, launching by the end of the year. They're planning on bringing Fortnite back to iOS this way after the new EU Digital Markets Act came into force a few weeks ago.

jyDHCOo.png

View: https://twitter.com/EpicGames/status/1770500825166545305

Last edited:

TromboneTony

Oct 27, 2017
Officially on app stores I'm guessing? You've been able to sideload the Android version for years now.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
88/12 revenue share.
With 100% to the gamedev for the first 6 months on their store with no unreal licence fee as well.

vicegold

Oct 27, 2017
After all of Epic's shenanigans with Apple you would have thought they have their iOS store ready as soon as the DMA drops. End of the year is still quite far away.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Landmark announcement, took so much bad blood to get back to this point but they made it happen!

neonglow

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be nice if it was cross purchase so you get versions for both iOS and Android if you bought from either store.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be nice if it was cross purchase so you get versions for both iOS and Android if you bought from either store.
Considering that epic pulled fortnite specifically to have even more money from ppl transactions in that game and not share it with other systems, that would probably be a pipe dream for something like that, where they would need to abide with Apple for a money deal.
Edit: also apple would also not say yes.

CutieYuri

Oct 7, 2022
If you have a Samsung Galaxy phone like I do, this has always been available to download on Android from the Galaxy Store.

So I'm guessing the proper way for Epic to word this is that it's returning to the Google Play Store?

EDIT: Oh, I get it, this is the full store and not just as a launcher for Epic's mobile games. That makes more sense.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see this changing anything about the mobile landscape. It'll end up the same as the Samsung App Store and TapTap: flooded with F2P games

Sorder

Sep 19, 2023
What happened to the "you need to pay Apple even if you release on other stores" thing?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how hard Apple is going to try and VPN-proof this solution for those outside the EU

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how hard Apple is going to try and VPN-proof this solution for those outside the EU
You can't get the OS branch that allows you to install this outside of the EU, it's geolocked, and if you go out of an EU country after installing something, it's only good for 30 days and the system will lock down anything you have installed.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This would pique my interest a bit - it'd be nice if they can bring the full Rocket League and Fall Guys over to mobile with crossplay and cross progression like Fortnite.

Anson225

Oct 26, 2017
I still don't understand why Apple needs to allow other stores on their own devices, why not regulate PlayStation, Xbox, Switch for that matter?
How do they draw the line?

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I still don't understand why Apple needs to allow other stores on their own devices, why not regulate PlayStation, Xbox, Switch for that matter?

Because those EU rules aren't about iPhone and mobile games,
it is about operating systems of computers (iOS) and 3rd party software.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
You need a certain amount of turnover(€7.5bn per year) and/or MAU(45m) to be designated a gatekeeper.

Gaming consoles are too small to fit into that designation for now.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

www.theverge.com

The EU’s new competition rules are going live — here’s how tech giants are responding

The Digital Markets Act’s deadline for compliance is imminent. Its six designated ‘gatekeepers’ have fought the rules, but also bent to them.

The European Commission presumes a platform is a gatekeeper if it meets two conditions. First, it must have an annual EU revenue of at least €7.5 billion in each of the last three fiscal years or an average market cap of €75 billion in the last fiscal year, while providing its core platform to at least three EU member states. Second, it must operate a core platform with at least 45 million monthly active users in the EU and more than 10,000 yearly active EU business users in each of the last three fiscal years.

Anson225

Oct 26, 2017

alexjimithing

Aug 20, 2019
The ubiquitous-ness of smartphones also lends themselves to greater governmental oversight.

It's more vital a platform/device every Tom Dick or Sally is using for almost every aspect of their life not be behaving anticompetitively compared to a video game console which is basically a single use device.

vicegold

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for clearing this up with source. I still think it's a pretty silly (because there's Android out there) but I understand why some people would want options.
It's also a difference because phones are general computing devices playing a much more important role in peoples life compared to consoles. For many people their phone is their only device they use to communicate, shop, interact with authorities.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
It's also a difference because phones are general computing devices playing a much more important role in peoples life compared to consoles. For many people their phone is their only device they use to communicate, shop, interact with authorities.
They don't really make that distinction in DMA. If Sony somehow sold 200m PS5s over the next year they could get designated as a gatekeeper just as easily as Apple or Alphabet.

alexjimithing

Aug 20, 2019
They don't really make that distinction in DMA. If Sony somehow sold 200m PS5s over the next year they could get designated as a gatekeeper just as easily as Apple or Alphabet.

The distinction is made by the user count/revenue/market cap requirements.

You're not hitting those without being a general computing device/platform used by people for a variety of purposes.