• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Why does it matter if they are Epic developed or not though? It's a competing store that competes with Steam on (among other things) exclusives as well.

Being a new player on a mature field where Valve dominates (to say the least) doesn't come cheap. I'm sure that they expected big loses for the first few years even from the EGS's conception.
steam does not compete for exclusives

so congrats on winning that battle i guess?

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! This is why everybody, including epic, has been saying that Steam is an (effective) monopoly all along. They had 90% of the market, and the rest was scattered among scraps like humble, gog (my personal favorite), etc. I don't know how big the pc market is overall, but I imagine some analyst types can figure out what they have after this epic growth, its probably like, 88-89% or something.

EGS likely is, or at least is about to be, the second largest storefront next to steam, selling basically nothing. if epic can sustain this kind of growth though, there will finally be a real competitor to steam in a few years.

Effective monopoly...real competitor to Steam.

Oh boy, Epic's PR blitz this morning working as planned.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Why does it matter if they are Epic developed or not though? It's a competing store that competes with Steam on (among other things) exclusives as well.

Steam has no 3rd Party Exclusives, so Valve is not competing with Epic on Exclusives.

And the 1st Party Exclusives matter, because they show that you are interested in the health of the industry instead of just being an investment firm who throws "fuck-you-money" around to buy yourself a seat on the table or use this money to drive out real competitors (the 3rd party stores and GoG/itch.io) who got to their place because they worked for it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Very happy for Wal-Mart. And if this means more Rollback pricing, I'll happily take the savings as a consumer!

Very happy for Epic Games. And if this means more free games, I'll happily take the savings as a consumer!

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
hell yes, got some baller ass deals on their over the sale. Could not complain, plus my library is growing to be larger than steam already just due to free games alone. I just wish i could gift fucking games............the store still severely needs some basic features

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Yes! This is why everybody, including epic, has been saying that Steam is an (effective) monopoly all along. They had 90% of the market, and the rest was scattered among scraps like humble, gog (my personal favorite), etc. I don't know how big the pc market is overall, but I imagine some analyst types can figure out what they have after this epic growth, its probably like, 88-89% or something.

EGS likely is, or at least is about to be, the second largest storefront next to steam, selling basically nothing. if epic can sustain this kind of growth though, there will finally be a real competitor to steam in a few years.
Steam never had 90% of the PC gaming market.

Closer to 30.

MMOs, LoL, Origin, F2P games outside of Steam etc make Steam nowhere near the monopoly you're painting it as.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Schrödinger's monopoly.

(I assume you have data on that 90% figure, please share it with us here)

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While the EGS store is pretty barebones, I do like that it isn't 90% filled with absolute shite. Steam need to get their act together in this regard, but I suspect they don't give a fuck.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The structure for their recent deal where you get $10 off a $15-or-more title, which then nets another coupon for the same, was a really clever way to daisy-chain purchases. I spent $20 total, when I would have spent $0.

Foraging through the full list of games in that $15+ price bracket to see if there was something I wanted for my next buy had the feel of "fun" shopping. I think their overall curation has been solid, to this point.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of growth ? They managed 30 millions in revenue from 3rd party sales. They managed 250M in 3rd party revenue on their store. That sounds abysmal.

They had 0 sales before last year. Now they have 250m. That's an ok start! If your goal is growth, you have to start somewhere!

Let's say they can increase that by 50% each year from now on (which is probably a high estimate, but bear with me), using the same aggressive spending tactics. They're probably spent about 10% of their 1.5b investment (not to mention the fortnite profits they keep making) so lets give them 10 years. After 10 years they'll be making 14.5 billion a year. That's a real foothold, and a great return for their investors (and, at that point, they probably wont need to pay for exclusives anymore.)

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
They had 0 sales before last year. Now they have 250m. That's an ok start! If your goal is growth, you have to start somewhere!

Let's say they can increase that by 50% each year from now on (which is probably a high estimate, but bear with me), using the same aggressive spending tactics. They're probably spent about 10% of their 1.5b investment (not to mention the fortnite profits they keep making) so lets give them 10 years. After 10 years they'll be making 14.5 billion a year. That's a real foothold, and a great return for their investors (and, at that point, they probably wont need to pay for exclusives anymore.)
DRXhGkxVAAAVM7g.png

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

ryff321jtf811.jpg

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

I can almost guarantee you that until Fortnite became an international phenomenon, the second highest grossing PC platform after Steam would've been either the Riot Launcher or Battle.net.

The money's where the F2P titles that sell cosmetics are at.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I love how people ITT keep forgetting that Epic does not have just Fortnite money.
Talking about revenues to the store.

Of course Epic are massive and make more via UE.

Still doesn't change the fact that they can't buy the market for everymore. Well actually they probably could but I'm sure they'd like to make some return one day which means actually paying for games, or something!

Once Epic are settled in the market, they'd not need to buy market share via exclusivity agreements and thus consumers will thus benefit from the extra choice in the market as opposed to having their choices forced upon them.

Of course this also shows that Steam isn't going anywhere, and they're still the player to beat, unlike some doom merchants prophecy of EGS ruining PC gaming, or something.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
This is great for PC gaming.

We don't have to buy indie games anymore, or wait for them to be on sale or in bundles or on game pass. Instead, we just have to be patient and Tim will give them to us for free.

Everyone wins.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
That's cool and the free games have been really neat. I hope they stop confining third party games to their platform though.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

Nowhere on EARTH will you see growth %'s like that year over year, holy mother of god, lmao.

While the EGS store is pretty barebones, I do like that it isn't 90% filled with absolute shite. Steam need to get their act together in this regard, but I suspect they don't give a fuck.

I mean.....Epic hasn't 'only' launched big winner games - they've had plenty of 'indies' that (seemingly) haven't taken off.

The store has gone from one page of games to a (poorly sorted) scroll-down sprawl.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bunch of people replied to me so I won't quote

-- 90% if sweenys claim from the article linked in zhuges tweet (i didn't realize it wasnt the same article linked in the op):

"Sweeney continued, "Exclusives have been critical in gaining momentum in the presence of a competitor that began 2019 with more than 90% market share"

-- Yeah I agree this is much smaller if you include stuff like LoL revenue, but I assume the number is for open storefronts like steam, gog, humble, and so on, that don't just sell publusher exclusives (ie, no battle.net unless I'm mistaken.) Wikipedia cites 75% in 2014 from this bloomberg article, so even if steam hasn't continued to dominate for the last 5 years (lol,) i'm fine to go with 75% instead of 90, it doesn't really change my point.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
They'll get that back though as it was an advance, less any contracted amount that was on top.

Only if the advance sells out. They could sit on a majority of unsold advances of the games that are not BL3, WWZ, Satisfactory, and Ubisoft. With the previous PR about those games selling great, there is basically nothing left for the other ~80 exclusives to have sold.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

That's almost as much as the entire PC gaming market as it stands.

Not going to happen.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's almost as much as the entire PC gaming market as it stands.

Nowhere on EARTH will you see growth %'s like that year over year, holy mother of god, lmao.

ya, that's fair, I picked a big hypothetical number to help demonstrate what compound growth looks like, but 50 is way unrealistic. but i shoulda gone with like, 20%. Regardless, epic's new 2018 investors probably expect a pretty big number, and epic has money to burn on big name exclusives.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Bunch of people replied to me so I won't quote

-- 90% if sweenys claim from the article linked in zhuges tweet (i didn't realize it wasnt the same article linked in the op):

Thats the issue, believing Sweeny's claim instead of using real data that show that F2P games are the PC moneymakers... It is stupid to remove them when talking about the entire PC marketplace, because that is how it works. You cannot say Steam is the biggest seller if we remove all the top seller PC games that are not on Steam.

ya, that's fair, I picked a big hypothetical number to help demonstrate what compound growth looks like, but 50 is way unrealistic. but i shoulda gone with like, 20%. Regardless, epic's new 2018 investors probably expect a pretty big number, and epic has money to burn on big name exclusives.
20% is pretty unrealistic as well.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if those $10 gift coupons count in the calculations? Are they part of the sales that devs made? Because then it's just epic money self inflating the revenue numbers while they're burning through serious cash.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

50% each year is really well beyond the realm of possibility though.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Like what big name exclusive?

RDR 2 was exclusive for a month
Destiny 2 now is Steam exclusive
MS, EA, Bethesda are back to Steam (MS and EA were out for years)

Or Epic is slowing down, or publishers aren't taking the deals anymore

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats the issue, believing Sweeny's claim instead of using real data that show that F2P games are the PC moneymakers... It is stupid to remove them when talking about the entire PC marketplace, because that is how it works. You cannot say Steam is the biggest seller if we remove all the top seller PC games that are not on Steam.

They're kinda different businesses though, right? Fortnite is the arm of epics company that competes with LoL (and dota, and WoW, and whatever) -- egs is the part that competes with steam's PC game sales, and gog, and humble. Surely that "60% over projections" wasn't based on goals set for competing with LoL.

Like what big name exclusive?

RDR 2 was exclusive for a month
Destiny 2 now is Steam exclusive
MS, EA, Bethesda are back to Steam (MS and EA were out for years)

Or Epic is slowing down, or publishers aren't taking the deals anymore

Borderlands is the big one so far, but I'd assume the 1 month rdr exclusivity wasn't a small spend either. I would expect them to speed up personally, not slow down -- they've proven to themselves and their investors that their strategy is working, and they have long way to go. I'm not in the business of game sales tho so I'm just speculating!

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of growth ? They managed 30 millions in revenue from 3rd party sales. They managed 250M in 3rd party revenue on their store. That sounds abysmal.
How many games are on EGS? Including all the Coming Soon games (I couldn't be bothered not counting them) there's 229, according to this page.

So as a raw average, that's about $1m per game on EGS. Though obviously that figure is skewed because I doubt the non-exclusives games sold at all on EGS. I can't be bothered to go through and count all the exclusives, but I have seen elsewhere that there's about 90 exclusives on EGS. So if we go by that figure we get an average of just under $2.8m per game. Obviously these figures are very rudimentary and limited however, because the figures Epic have given are probably the best-looking figures they're willing to include in a press release and look impressive until you start digging deeper.

Considering the range of EGS exclusives go from blockbusters like Borderlands 3 through to indie games that probably haven't sold that well, $2.8m average per exclusive doesn't really tell us much because it's clear as day that many of the games won't be getting anywhere near that $2.8m figure. It's not even really a useful average to know, but it's the best I can come up with considering the figures we have.

Without sales data for individual games (or even a better breakdown of the figures between AAAs and indies) it's really hard to tell how well the store is actually doing.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Epic is doing way worse than I expected.

So $251m = $30m for epic, so just $7m after coupons deducted.

They paid what $10m for Control?

I'll take free games tho.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Steam has no 3rd Party Exclusives, so Valve is not competing with Epic on Exclusives.

And the 1st Party Exclusives matter, because they show that you are interested in the health of the industry instead of just being an investment firm who throws "fuck-you-money" around to buy yourself a seat on the table or use this money to drive out real competitors (the 3rd party stores and GoG/itch.io) who got to their place because they worked for it.
I don't see how first party exclusivity is that much different from third party. It's invested money that could have been invested elsewhere. You could even argue that moneyhat money ensure the financial success or big third party games thus enabling even more games to be developed. Also, first party exclusives compete with ALL games thus hugely successful first party exclusives negatively impact third party sales (and the market's health as a result).

Overall, let's not forget who EGS is competing with. We are not talking about an "unfair" advantage over a small store but against a monopoly more or less. So the ultimate question is whether people believe anyone can compete with Steam by following the same rules as Steam. Up until now all alternative stores are either glorified first party game launchers (which only exist to save publishers money and don't contribute in the promotion of third party games in any way) or really small third party stores. Finally, developers themselves seem to enjoy EGS's money terms quite a bit.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be one of those threads where the people who just read the headline walk away with a very different experience than the people who actually read the thread.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
How does this compare to other store fronts?
Of course it's not fair to compare with PS Store but if you want some data
Data below doesn't include Services (PS+/Now)

PSN (digital software + add-on) generates $9.70B in 2018 (calendar year) with 90m MAU as of Nov 2018
In 2019 so far (from Jan to Sept included), PSN generates $6.48B

My estimates for Oct-Dec 2019 is between $2.5B to $3B for PSN revenues
So in 2019, with the low estimates, it will generate about $9B for 103m MAU as of Dec 31, 2019

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
They're kinda different businesses though, right? Fortnite is the arm of epics company that competes with LoL (and dota, and WoW, and whatever) -- egs is the part that competes with steam's PC game sales, and gog, and humble. Surely that "60% over projections" wasn't based on goals set for competing with LoL.
The competition of Steam is the PC marketplace, which is what contains F2P games that hold a lot of the market. You cannot remove the biggest competition and say Steam controls everything.

The "over projections" is, as in most cases, a nice fluff piece in most occassions, as internal projections quickly change.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Great results. Thanks to their free games offering, I'm back to pc games. It really a greats.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just stacking up the free games on an account in case I ever want to deal with their launcher and play them. I'm surprised they still let you do that without having it installed.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
That's still probably the highest revenue number compared to the other store fronts that didn't make it. They are massively in the red, but I guess it's an accomplishment in some ways? If one has enough money, you can make anything look like a success.