• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Epic Games today offered an update on the growth of the Epic Games Store. Launched in December of 2018, the store to-date has racked up $680 million in spending from 108 million PC customers.
While much of that total can be accounted for by Epic's own hit Fortnite, the company noted that $251 million has been spent by players on third-party PC games

One of Epic Games Store's biggest selling points for customers has been its distribution of free games. When the Epic Games Store launched, Epic founder and CEO Tim Sweeney promised it would offer one free game every two weeks throughout 2019. It actually surpassed that mark, so far providing 73 free games to players that have been downloaded more than 200 million times put together.

The program has been successful enough that Epic also announced today it will be offering weekly free games throughout 2020.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Cool. I've only ever bought Control on their store (one of the only games I've bought full price in years) but my library there is filling up with some solid titles.

Jan 21, 2019
Horay, free games. I already enjoyed The Wolf among us (10/10) and Inside (7/10) and I am waiting for the Darksiders trilogy to be completed.

Hopefully other platforms start churning out free games. Come on Origin, make Alice 1 happen.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
That averages $6.30 per user. Seems low, but the 108 million users include PC Fortnite players and players that just got a free game.

Chem

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Congratulations.

I'm so happy that a promising indie company with 20 employees is getting its fair dues.

#SupportIndies

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Epic Games really is God's Gift to PC gaming

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Happy that we're getting more free games. I'm now looking forward to seeing what's coming next every Thursday.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't spend money on PC games that aren't WoW, that doesn't look like it's gonna change.
I already had an epic account because of Unreal so whatever thanks for the games Epic.
If the game is that good I usually double dip on my switch though.
Minit is probably next...

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
since i started using gog galaxy i've found myself not caring whether the game was originally purchased on steam or epic, and the EGS free games over xmas were a nice get.

i just hope in all of this developers get a good return out of this too.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good start! My hope is they dont grow too fast, i want them paying for (indie) exclusives as long as possible, dreading the day when there are two steams.

Glad their competition strategy is working out tho and all this goofy controversy wasnt for nothing.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
So per user that's average of $6.29 per user.

That's not exactly high spending is it?

Take away Fortnite revenues and it's looking all the worse.

Now the bigger question is this. Considering the 12% cut, Epic made only $30 million in revenue from 3rd parties in the last year.

Does anyone think that this is actually viable? Fortnite is keeping this ship going but considering they spent big on buying exclusives, the store is going to operating at a massive loss from a 3rd party point of view.

That's before them paying for free stuff. They're buying a userbase but for now, they ain't buying back.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
So real quick does this number count the fake purchases we do for the free games as revenue? Because I hope not lol

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always down for more free stuff. I can't imagine ever spending money on the platform and I don't see how this will be sustainable without Fortnite but I'll take what they're willing to give me

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
An average of just over 2$ per user that uses the EGS for 3rd party games.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$680m on Fortnite, $251m when you take Fortnite out. So 108m users are spending $6.29 (inc Fortnite) and $2.32 (not inc. Fortnite). Though obviously the $2.32 figure is not an accurate average as we don't know what the number of EGS customers buying full games are.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
since i started using gog galaxy i've found myself not caring whether the game was originally purchased on steam or epic, and the EGS free games over xmas were a nice get.

i just hope in all of this developers get a good return out of this too.

I used GOG Galaxy for the free Rayman Legends game I got on the Epic Store.

When I clicked install it:

1. Started EGS as a second client.
2. Notified me about an update for EGS that I installed.
3. Opened up a view where it had me login to uPlay, to link those accounts.
4. Opened uPlay as a third client.
5. Notified me about an update for uPlay that I installed.
6. Notified me about an update for GOG Galaxy that I installed.
7. Launched the game.
8. Left all three clients running after I exited the game.

I still care where I buy my games, after user experiences like that.

I'm still going to pick free games on EGS from time to time, but I've had zero incentives during 2019 that make me want to spend money there.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Now the bigger question is this. Considering the 12% cut, Epic made only $30 million in revenue from 3rd parties in the last year.

Does anyone think that this is actually viable? Fortnite is keeping this ship going but considering they spent big on buying exclusives, the store is going to operating at a massive loss from a 3rd party point of view.

That's before them paying for free stuff. They're buying a userbase but for now, they ain't buying back.

$30 million should be enough to keep the store up and running. I can't see how $30 million in revenue can equate to a loss. It's a pretty bare bones storefront. And that also means developers made $210 million from EGS last year. That seems pretty damn viable to me.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017

If you take away the Fortnite revenue you also need to take away the Fortnite (only) Players. So that lowers the 108m user base to an unknown number. $258 Million in 3rd party sales, which was 60% higher than forcaseted.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Obviously this isn't viable, but they're trying to carve out a market share in a space where somebdoy else controls 90% of the market.

And, I post this every thread I feel like, but: fortnite isn't what's paying for EGS. After the release of fortnite, when epic had plenty of cash to stay afloat, they took in a 1.25 BILLION funding round, that we now know was obviously to pay for the epic game store. This was the largest funding round raised by any company in 2018. For reference, Uber's series D was 1.5b, and airbnbs series E was 1.5 -- and those are companies with massive physical empires that need to be paid for.

They have money to burn on a growth focused strategy.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

It says right there in the first post that third party revenue is 60% higher than the initial forecast.

Read it next time?

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The free games have been fantastic, glad its continuing

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
$30 million should be enough to keep the store up and running. I can't see how $30 million in revenue can equate to a loss. It's a pretty bare bones storefront. And that also means developers made $210 million from EGS last year. That seems pretty damn viable to me.

They probably spend over half a billion on Exclusives (Ubisoft and BL3 were not cheap) to get 30 million in revenue.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Is an Epic Game Store account required to download/play Fortnite on PC?

$251m across all the third party games on the store seems really low to me.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Keep the free games coming. Haven't spent a penny on the store but building my library there with the free games. Will probably eventually get some of the games. Hades looks really good!

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's a loss because they're burning through cash at a tremendous rate to give away free games. the idea behind the 12% cut is that they can supposedly meet their costs and eke out a small profit at that amount, with extra expenses on top there's no way they're in the black.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Marketing, bandwidth, moneythatting publishers. Development cost. Paying for these free games. Do you honestly think that it costs less than $30 million to offer the free games they did in 2019 alone?

More than just putting a shop on a website and counting the money.

And I was strictly talking about the store side, obviously publishers making money is always viable!

Again, take away Fortnite and this is a project that simply wouldn't exist. It is subsidizing the whole operation.