• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
It'e relevant because that tweet says "You paid $10 million for control?" after doing the math for their "cut."

No it doesn't matter that they paid up front or not; but that tweet is implying they paid $10 million and then ALSO only kept %12 of the revenue. That's not how that would have worked if the $10 million was an advance, was my point.

They did pay cash for some games, especially the AAA ones.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
They did pay cash for some games, especially the AAA ones.
Control was specifically reported to be rumored to be a cash advance on sales.

Epic seems to have paid $10.5 million for Control's PC exclusivity
Money likely came as advance against earnings ahead of Epic Games Store sales.

All based on analyzing what was said during financial reports for Control's dev (and the fact other devs have said that's how it works, and Epic has said that's how it usually works.)

I'm aware they have other aspects to their deals, just saying that tweet suggesting they "paid $10 million for Control" isn't necessarily doing the math right there.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
This is amazing. So many things we wouldn't have otherwise gotten if not for the EGS.

Console-exclusives like Detroit: Become Human and Journey on PC, dozens of free games, Half-Life: Alyx, new Steam UI, Game Pass, the Impossible Burger, record numbers for Tesla, Joe Burrow's incredible year. Just really awesome stuff all around.

EDIT: Forgot Billie Eilish doing the next Bond theme.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
This is amazing. So many things we wouldn't have otherwise gotten if not for the EGS.

Console-exclusives like Detroit: Become Human and Journey on PC, dozens of free games, Half-Life: Alyx, new Steam UI, Game Pass, the Impossible Burger, record numbers for Tesla, Joe Burrow's incredible year. Just really awesome stuff all around.
You had me going for a moment there.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Well they are obviously terrible at planning the store features.

This is all based on them not having tooling to support developers; releases are still manual processes, etc.

I suspect it has more to do with the fact that despite spending all of last year talking about how bad steam's discoverability is, they have absolutely zero tools themselves and are relying entirely on having a smaller library to put the games they sign in front of the target audience.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

EDIT: Forgot Billie Eilish doing the next Bond theme.

We are not living in the best times. We could have had Hans Zimmer doing the Bond Theme, and Billie Eilish composing the score.

EGS giveth, EGS taketh

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Broken, rushed games aren't the same as shovelware. He didn't say that they won't have broken, unfun or otherwise terrible games.
They literally said they wouldn't have "crappy" games

They also turned down Assault Android Cactus

That's this game :

Because the most important thing is denying games from Steam, not getting good games on their store.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Yikes. I know loss leading is a thing, but that only works if people end up spending enough on your store to make up for it. If their goal is to carve out a piece of the PC market they probably should've gone with the free games and discounts gimmick from the jump instead of pissing a bunch of people off with moneyhats.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Lol if you joke about shopping carts to Tim Sweeney on twitter he adds you to this list

m55EA63.png

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Probably did long term harm to the brand/series, too. Not only was the exclusivity bad, they handled the communication surround it really poorly.

The timing and communication was what made me never want to purchase the game. Also sealed the deal regarding my opinion or support for Epic.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I only recently got back into PC gaming. Had not used Steam since I bought Half Life 2 on it back when it launched. Even to a novice, the Steam platform is superior in every way. That said, still don't hate this. Moneyhatting Indies and allowing them to keep more money is good for Indies. Being selfish and caring about myself as a consumer means caring about these studios. Whether people like it or not, platform wars is building mindshare for devs as platforms fight over them. Moneyhatting small devs takes a lot of pressure off of them while in the development process. Now I just want to see Epic improve their store.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad we're getting more free games this year, and hopefully the store keeps getting better with updates. Right now it just does what its supposed to do; let you buy and play games, but it can definitely use some other improvements.

The Christmas coupons+sale was crazy, so I hope they do that again this year as well.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
I spent $5 on Griftlands with that coupon because Klei promises a Steam key if you buy on EGS so that's fine with me. Other than that, I went from spending quite a bit on Fornite to $0 ever since EGS started buying exclusives. I'll continue taking their free games though for whatever it costs them.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad we're getting more free games this year, and hopefully the store keeps getting better with updates. Right now it just does what its supposed to do; let you buy and play games, but it can definitely use some other improvements.

The Christmas coupons+sale was crazy, so I hope they do that again this year as well.

I can only imagine we'll be talking about these crazy sales EGS is doing now like we talk about the days when Steam still had the crazy flash sales.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
If their estimates are correct, Those Control sales are just shocking. Outer World is more understandable due to Game Pass.

But Control featured on a lot of GOTY lists and was heavily featured by many publications.
I think the numbers for Metro, and Control are normal. 700k is a lot, and Control wasn't selling great on console as well so it's likely a bad timing issue or just a game appeal/marketing thing.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I have doubts if 2020 is going to provide bigger names as exclusives. They had 3 Ubisoft games, BL3, Metro, RDR2, Control, Outer Worlds and more. What gets can they have that would make 2020 results better? There must be talks in devs' circles about how they are selling and their experience on the store that would make them think twice about agreeing for exclusivity.
Possibly more Ubi games;

Of the publishers thtat seem open to dealing with them:
-BigBen-Werewolf: The Apocalypse- Earthblood?
-Deep Silver- new Saints Row? The Iron Harvest devs confirmed they're sticking with Steam and GOG;
-2K- new BioShock? Private Division's "Darkborn" is gonna be on EGS only, but apparently the "Halo-but-with-hoverbikes" Disintegration won't be.
-WB- everything? I can totally see WB putting their next DC titles there.
-we have not seen any major Japanese pubs on EGS, but I could see Squeeenix taking the plunge with its Eidos studios, who are all doing Marvel stuff. Or that People Can Fly Gaas-y co-op shooter.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The Ubisoft games aren't exclusive, they are just removed from Steam.

I wonder how much they sold on EGS, and how much Epic are paying for that.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Ouch, those are some not great numbers there when they're broken down like that.

I shudder to think about how this has already been spun into a massive boon for PC gaming or anything at all really.

But hey, more free games! Keep 'em coming! I'll continue to not spend a single penny on the store.

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently (and if someone has newer data please correct me) the $39.99 pack sold even better than the $9.99 Reach single item. Maybe it was revenue?
Most likely true that people bought the full price pack.

Halo MCC is a staggered release of 5 games. If you bought a month of GP every time a new game came out, you would pay $25 and you still wouldn't get to keep the game. Also GP will increase to $10 at some point so the price could be even higher. It's a much better deal for most people to just buy Halo so they don't have to keep paying a subscription, and possibly pay even more if MS decides to raise GP to its normal price soon.

You also need the Steam version if you want mods because Microsoft Store is doing its best to prevent you from modding games by locking the game folder away from you.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So per user that's average of $6.29 per user.

That's not exactly high spending is it?

Take away Fortnite revenues and it's looking all the worse.

Now the bigger question is this. Considering the 12% cut, Epic made only $30 million in revenue from 3rd parties in the last year.

Does anyone think that this is actually viable? Fortnite is keeping this ship going but considering they spent big on buying exclusives, the store is going to operating at a massive loss from a 3rd party point of view.

That's before them paying for free stuff. They're buying a userbase but for now, they ain't buying back.
Wow, only $30 million? Does that include all of those the exclusive payments?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't know why this thread got this big (actually I know), the 60% over forecast figure is impressive and most important, people can feel however they want about EGS but numbers show that it's working for them.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Wow, only $30 million? Does that include all of those the exclusive payments?

It's impossible to say how much Epic has paid for the free game promos, exclusivity deals, and impromptu cases of FOMO (e.g. Fallen Order, whose EGS app was created the very same day EA announced its return to Steam), but that sum is almost certainly nine figures long at this point and only going to grow. Anybody who isn't big into Fortnite will have little to no reason to buy third-party games on EGS when Epic inevitably stops throwing bags of cash around willy-nilly, so you have to wonder if it'll ever be in the black sans Fortnite.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno why people keep saying that in every instance regarding RDR2's launch.

it wasn't exclusive and the Rockstar version is the one that everyone just bought because it was way more convenient.

Sweeney made up "co-exclusivity" to be able to say their games are exclusive when they aren't.

(Not actually kidding. This is real.)

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why this thread got this big (actually I know), the 60% over forecast figure is impressive and most important, people can feel however they want about EGS but numbers show that it's working for them.

Yeah, 60% over forecast is impressive.

251M dollars of revenue produced from 3rd party games and 30M of revenue for Epic is low af.

They either had a forecast that wasn't including a lot of exclusives they have or they had crazily low forecasts.

This is taking into account a really agressive strategy:
- Agressive paid discounts (which generated like 2.3 millions sales in their 2 biggest sales event, running for nearly 1 month each of them).
- Agressive paid exclusive (You can see their best selling games are big exclusives. Borderlands 3 might be responsible for nearly a 1/3 of the 3rd party revenue generated).
- Agressive free games campaign
- Agressive ad campaign (I wont go back on the lying campaign by team, the paid articles in some publications and the E3 PCGamer show).

And yet despite all of that, we get those numbers. And it doesnt look like for 2020, Epic can top their 2019 efforts.
Worse, a lot of games will stop being exclusives.