• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sambills

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The store will also feature one free game every two weeks throughout 2019. Epic is funding these free releases so you always have something new to come and check out. The first free game will be Subnautica, available from Dec 14th to Dec 27th, followed by Super Meat Boy from Dec 28th to Jan 10th.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/the-epic-games-store-is-now-live

Epic really coming for throats huh?

Last edited by a moderator:

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess when you can't actually compete as a storefront you can always try to bribe people over with cheap/free hits games.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you suggest they compete then?

Incredible that you even find a way to bitch about free games

Try to actually compete in features? Come up with something so good it makes people want to come over?

But no let's just do what every other client does. Withhold games from appearing on Steam or hand out freebies and pray they stay.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess when you can't actually compete as a storefront you can always try to bribe people over with cheap/free hits games.

It's not a bad move to try and grow their platform.

And hey, free is free. If they're going to be giving out high quality games for free, that's great for everyone who plays games on PC. I have a hard time imagining that the store will offer anywhere near the amount of features that STEAM does, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth when it comes to getting some cool games for free.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
i'm sure subnautica won't have VR support so that's not gonna be a good draw for me, but still cool

its also the fucked up SMB but take what you can get I guess

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
tXEccCJ.gif

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Curious if that's free to play during that time, or free to get and keep during that time.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Making a store people want to use with enticing features? That's what positive competition does.
The store just launched though. What you're describing is probably part of their long term plan. Giving out free games doesn't mean they're not focusing on making a better store than Steam.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Exclusives suck. Giving away free games that exist on other platforms is alright, IMO. I mean, Twitch did that, MS/PS4 do that (for Gold/PS+), Humble does that sometimes and so does GoG. Exclusives are what annoys me.

Jan 29, 2018
Do I only have two weeks to play these games before I have to buy or are they mine if I claim them during that period?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'll actually download this. No reason not to I guess and I don't really care about using multiple store fronts. Never understood the Steam love from people.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I have a feeling it's going to be mostly games that have already been bundled. If that is the case I will most likely pass. I wouldn't say no to something really good that I don't have though.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I remember when Steam started they were giving away counter-strike to make people download it.

Then they released HL2 exclusively on steam for their killer move. Even if you bought the DVD, you needed to get steam to play it.

Both were smart moves and helped Steam become the juggernaut it is today.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
The store just launched though. What you're describing is probably part of their long term plan. Giving out free games doesn't mean they're not focusing on making a better store than Steam.

When GOG launched it already provided me something other storefronts didn't. They took the time to find licenses of games that weren't available online, they were DRM-free, and they sold pre-configured DOSBOX with these games. The Epic Store has nothing going for it from the consumer side. I'm not going to speculate what it might be in a few years.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Subnautica is absolutely fantastic, please consider giving it a chance. Probably my favorite game of this year.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
Wow, now I've seen it all. Storefront fanboys, can you imagine...
Like how is this bad in any way?