• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I don't mind the competition but won't pretend to be interested in splintering more of my releases and be happy about it.

I'm already stretched thin by Steam and Origin alone.

I am a little less stringent these days though so I do hope it's a competent storefront.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How many people already have the Epic launcher installed just to play Fortnite? Epic is going to be able to rope in a lot of people into seeing its service as a viable game delivery system right out of the gate.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Love a free game, but Meat Boy is a Twitch Prime tier free game. Subnautica is pretty cool but that one has been in my Steam library for a while, too. Epic, I need something more.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well, good thing is that these games should be DRM free atleast? Don't think there are much to choose from other than the standard built-in that the store doesn't have.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this is pretty damn impressive. They're going for Steam hard.

Fuck it, I'll download their launcher! Been meaning to check out Subnautica for a bit!

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I give them credit for trying. If I still gamed much on pc I would give them a try.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
When GOG launched it already provided me something other storefronts didn't. They took the time to find licenses of games that weren't available online, they were DRM-free, and they sold pre-configured DOSBOX with these games. The Epic Store has nothing going for it from the consumer side. I'm not going to speculate what it might be in a few years.
I can't think of a better incentive for consumers than competitive pricing/free games though. I agree, they have a long way to go before they're considered viable competition but this seems like a valid strategy in order to make a splash and gain attention.

Nov 28, 2017
I'm seeing Journey being listed as "coming soon" on the Epic Launcher's store.

No more PS exclusive?

ipN9e0o.jpg

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
How do you suggest they compete then?

Incredible that you even find a way to bitch about free games
When I mentioned this news in an earlier thread (before we knew these specific games) all of the responses were complaints. Some even tried to claim that free games weren't a benefit for the users.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I guess when you can't actually compete as a storefront you can always try to bribe people over with cheap/free hits games.
Well, that's actually nice for gamers.
What's really disgusting is buying exclusivity, something that Steam never has done. Epic can keep their own games exclusively on their platform but moneyhatting is garbage and why I feel disgust towards Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft (and Discord, fuck you!).

I will get these free games even though I already have them just for the DRM-free copy hopefully.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Free to keep or free to play for a time?
the answer to this dramatically affects how I see this announcement
Yeah I didn't think about that, it would actually be pretty lame if it was just for those 2 weeks. That's nothing special compared to Steam.

Just guessing but I don't think they would use the phrase "funding these free releases" if it was just a temporary thing.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's really disgusting is buying exclusivity, something that Steam never has done. Epic can keep their own games exclusively on their platform but moneyhatting is garbage and why I feel disgust towards Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft (and Discord, fuck you!).

I will get these free games even though I already have them just for the DRM-free copy hopefully.

They have every right and it makes prefect sense for first party and games they publish/fund to do just that.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They're doing paid exclusives too. That hades game is exclusive to them until it leaves early access, which could be a year or more. Some games stay in early access a looong time.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They have every right and it makes prefect sense for first party and games they publish/fund to do just that.
Of course they have every right to do that, however what makes sense for a business isn't what's good for the consumers. It is really shitty for the rest of the players to be duped into it being exclusive just to be released later. Just look at Rise of the Tomb Raider, that was really shitty. I have nothing bad to say about giving away the games though, thats cool of them.

They're doing paid exclusives too. That hades game is exclusive to them until it leaves early access, which could be a year or more. Some games stay in early access a looong time.

Yeah, its fucking ass and what I really think sucks about what Epic is doing.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Games will have DRM most likely since Shadow Complex seem to need Epic Games Launcher to start. Also Sweeney said its lightweight. Takes 170MB RAM while Steam takes less than 10MB with only the main window up.

EDIT: With 2 games on EGL and about 3k on Steam.

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a big picture mode for their store yet?

Even free games aren't enticing if the interface is a setback.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Some of the posts in here remind me that there will always be someone who will find the negative in anything. No matter what it is, there's gotta be something they're just not having.

I'll def sign up and see about this new launcher.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
If Twitch's and Humble Bundle's regular free games are anything to go by this isn't saying much. Of course more relevant games like Subnautica would be frontloaded.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
If I install a game from this, can I add the .exe as a non-steam game in my steam library?

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But, but, I was told that everything should just go to steam!!!! Why those stores keep trying this!!!! there is no benefit for the consumer whatsoever!!!! stop!!!!!! >.<