• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I wasn't aware Epic came up with the idea of having their own storefront yesterday. This changes everything!
So that means every business can and is able to feature match all competitors at launch. I'm sorry and I know it's ideal but reality doesn't always end up like that. Business can be successful without doing that. Launch isn't everything.

DarlingDixie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good move for us consumers unless Tencent start bringing us some rich Chinese censorship culture.

Epic might have enough Fortnite money to keep that from happening, I don't want a Rainbow Six situation.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So that means every business can and is able to feature match all competitors at launch. I'm sorry and I know it's ideal but reality doesn't always end up like that. Business can be successful without doing that. Launch isn't everything.
They have Galyonkin heading their store initiative and he implied he's been working on it for some time. This combined with their Fortnite fuck you money and Tencent backing should lead to a much better feature set on launch. Like, you know, a search function.

Schnitzelfee

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's a time limited promotion to lure customers, nothing wrong with that... But don't act like Epic is doing this "for the gamers"...

And as others have said, there are free games on Steam, Humble or GOG all the time... Literally

Here is another free to keep game right now

https://store.steampowered.com/app/826600/I_am_not_a_Monster/

Has good reviews and all, so no shovel ware either. Normally 15 bucks I think

And of course valve doesn't pay to giveaway a free Sega game for example like Company of Heroes... Why would they? Its devs and pubs marketing their own games, valve has no say in that. As it should be

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
That refund policy is interesting, I wish they stated the exact amount of time you can play before requesting a refund. I'd imagine you can't play a game for 10 hours and request one.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds amazing. Any words as to when it's supposed to arrive?
Seems to be here whether you like it or not. They've got developers signing up left and right, and I see no shortage of interest from consumers. All the goalpost moving about what is and is not competition or positive/negative competition (whatever that means) is totally bizarre.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Oh, they're actually trying haha

I'm sorta forgot all the free stuff i got on Origin and GoG and it may happen now as well, but i also really want free Subnautica.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Lol Super Meat Boy for free, what's even the point? The game was bundled 9932234 times in 1$ bundles on PC, it was free with PSPlus on console, don't know if it was given for free directly on PC too at some point, but giving it away now it's just a way to promote Forever.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
The game you are purchasing is licensed by Unknown Worlds Entertainment. Click here to not receive emails from them with the latest information about similar products and services.

Click here to NOT receive emails… huh. Hooray, more spam. Getting all tricksy with the Opt In/Opt Outs already? Not a good look, Epic.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Lmao. As if steam hasn't given free games. There is stil 0 incentive for me to even consider buying on epic.

Also ppl acting like this is some amazing shit. Maybe if digital distribution was new, but it's not. You wanna Make your client a store, give me features not free games that every single gaming website has already given.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
That's fine, but Steam would probably not give you these games specifically for free.

Furthermore, as far as I can recall has Steam never given out games for free. So I think it's fair to say that this is the result of competition.
U should really click on bad company 2 on steam. It was given away for free forever plus may other better games but I guess you talk about competition without even knowing what's happening around you

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
The game you are purchasing is licensed by Unknown Worlds Entertainment. Click here to not receive emails from them with the latest information about similar products and services.

Click here to NOT receive emails… huh. Hooray, more spam. Getting all tricksy with the Opt In/Opt Outs already? Not a good look, Epic.

Haha, that's some MoviePass level shit. With MP, if you cancel your account, they'll send you an email a few weeks later saying they're going to reactivate your account unless you opt-out.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
U should really click on bad company 2 on steam. It was given away for free forever plus may other better games but I guess you talk about competition without even knowing what's happening around you
You're not wrong, but I'm referring to a scenario where Steam is giving away a game out of their own pocket, which is what Epic is doing in this case.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Console Warz are old news, now it's all about Storefront Wars, complete with dedicated fanboys! This is super entertaining to see play out.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Making a store people want to use with enticing features? That's what positive competition does.

You need traffic and data in your store too. Steam wasn't any where near as feature rich as it is now back in its infancy. Time will tell if Epic can create a store with more/different features to compete at that level.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Console Warz are old news, now it's all about Storefront Wars, complete with dedicated fanboys! This is super entertaining to see play out.

Please no, let these fanboy wars stay away from pc gaming!

For me it's simple: I have no problem with using multiple storefronts, but I won't support any store or dev getting involved in paid store exclusivity on pc.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Oh no how *terrible* of Epic to give away free games

And you people want me to believe your teeth knashing at anything epic store related has nothing to do with fanboyism huh?

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Try to actually compete in features? Come up with something so good it makes people want to come over?

But no let's just do what every other client does. Withhold games from appearing on Steam or hand out freebies and pray they stay.
I get you, but Valve obliged everyone to install Steam in order to play HL 2, CS: Source back then.

Nobody wanted to install it, but they had to. Steam and its store grew because of this.

Free games are awesome, but lets see if Epic can mantain momentum.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Epic really coming for throats huh?
Eh - other big-publisher stores did this (Origin, UPlay) and I can't say it moved the needle in terms of actual usage. Hell Origin even did one accidentally literally giving away dozens of games per user all at once.
Of course it didn't help that all this happened when the usability of their launchers was something of a joke, but then again none of the launchers are particularly great even today. Hell if I just compare startup experience - the two least offensive ones are GoG and Microsoft Store, and Steam would be the bottom of the heap, still clocking in the worst startup time by a country mile.
Of course - Steam is the sole example of a launcher that actually adds a compelling feature-set, so it's pretty much the only one offering actual reasons to exist.

Which actually is part of the reason why "multiple launchers" is a problem in the first place - most of them are bloated, slow, system resource hogs (obviously, since most are also web-browsers, among other things). And that gets amplified with games as a service operators providing their own launchers as well.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see people saying Steam doesn't give away free games. What? I have a bunch of free games in my library, the most recent being For Honor a few months ago.

I usually skip most of them bc I'm not interested in the games but there's seemingly always a "install now and keep forever" promo going on

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The store just launched though. What you're describing is probably part of their long term plan. Giving out free games doesn't mean they're not focusing on making a better store than Steam.

It really didn't just launch. They've had a store for years. They're just finally deciding to make use of it.

I "bought" my free copy last night, even though I have Subnautica on Steam.

You can't even create a wishlist. No cloud saving. No effort whatsoever on Epic's part outside of trying to buy their way in. You also have to check a box to opt out of the developer sending you emails, and spreading your information around.

It is what it is. I'll take my freebies because, why not? But I'll wait to play the money hat games when they're available on better platforms that offer the features I'm accustomed to using.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious, with the revenue split, will this mean big publishers – those with their own storefront – put their games on the Epic Store as well?

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I'm curious, with the revenue split, will this mean big publishers – those with their own storefront – put their games on the Epic Store as well?

I'm sure publishers with their own storefronts will continue to want to keep all the profits, and not split them at all. Particularly EA, Blizzard, and now Bethesda, who already focus on their own stores. Ubisoft may continue to publish on other storefronts. I can't see much changing with publishers who are going totally to their own launchers/stores.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Subnautica made me discover that I'm terrified of the ocean... It took me 40 years to get over Jaws and it put me right back to square one. Thanks a lot. 10/10, recommended.

I'd sign up if I didn't have both games already.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao. As if steam hasn't given free games. There is stil 0 incentive for me to even consider buying on epic.

Also ppl acting like this is some amazing shit. Maybe if digital distribution was new, but it's not. You wanna Make your client a store, give me features not free games that every single gaming website has already given.

Is there a feature for this game that should prevent me from getting this game for free?

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I'm fine with this, but I don't like tencent.

I'll prob log on grab my free games kind of like what I did with uplay.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It really didn't just launch. They've had a store for years. They're just finally deciding to make use of it.

I "bought" my free copy last night, even though I have Subnautica on Steam.

You can't even create a wishlist. No cloud saving. No effort whatsoever on Epic's part outside of trying to buy their way in. You also have to check a box to opt out of the developer sending you emails, and spreading your information around.

It is what it is. I'll take my freebies because, why not? But I'll wait to play the money hat games when they're available on better platforms that offer the features I'm accustomed to using.
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/the-epic-games-store-is-now-live

They considered it a launch, even though it was previously a vehicle to distribute their own games. I do agree it's subpar atm and the moneyhatting has soured a lot of people, myself included.

asmodejan

Oct 27, 2017
*launchesepiccgamesstoreapp*
Thanks for the free game Epic Games. I'll make sure to login into your store once the next promotional free game hits.
*quitsepiccgamesstoreapp*

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe

!!

This opt-out shit is so scummy.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Free stuff is cool and I will jump on this. Making storefront "exclusive third party" games can fuck off