• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Well they totally tricked me with that opt out. I had read it and figured it said click here to opt in.
I misread it, so my fault, guess I'll be adding that to spam as soon as I can.
Still, they need to not make that look like it's a eula agreement with it's placement, because I thought that's what it was at first.

Isn't that shit even illegal in Europe? Iirc GDPR has allways to be opt-in, not opt-out.
Their plan is to 'correct it" as time goes on. Likely after a significant number of games have been dropped free and people click thinking it's something else

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to trying Subnautica and even though I'm against storefront exclusivity I had to buy Hades because it's too damn good.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
So this got me to download the Epic launcher, not that I'll ever buy anything, but free is free.

Does this thing really have no way to throttle download speed?

Really? In 2018?

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
It really didn't just launch. They've had a store for years. They're just finally deciding to make use of it.

I "bought" my free copy last night, even though I have Subnautica on Steam.

You can't even create a wishlist. No cloud saving. No effort whatsoever on Epic's part outside of trying to buy their way in. You also have to check a box to opt out of the developer sending you emails, and spreading your information around.

It is what it is. I'll take my freebies because, why not? But I'll wait to play the money hat games when they're available on better platforms that offer the features I'm accustomed to using.

Right, this isn't some indie startup with a heart of gold. This is the Fortnite company backed up by Chinese money. Come on.

Time - Epic has had years to develop their service, if they were really serious.
Money - They have all the money in the world to provide features or even a roadmap.
"Tester" - This entire endeavor smacks of a low-cost, low-effort "test" to see how they do before committing real resources to the project. Throw some buzzwords out there, get some headlines, fund a few freebies, and see where it goes.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Can you play it in VR through the Epic store?
Subnautica in VR is terrific. Gives me that weird vertigo but underwater feeling.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Should have launched with some basic features. Origin had more at launch 7 years ago.

It isn't 14 years ago or 7 - it is 2018, they had time to release some basic features as the launcher did already exist. Just now there is a store.

XNihili

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
How are you supposed to compete with an almost monopoly without exclusive and free game incentives ?
Better features ? Bah ... why would you bother move to another store when all your games are on Steam and good enough features are good enough ?

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess when you can't actually compete as a storefront you can always try to bribe people over with cheap/free hits games.

Holy Shit are you ever happy?

Like they're giving a free game, yes enticement, but literally FREE

How's this hurting anyome, it's a valid promotion

Have you never heard get the customer through the door, everything will work out
Hell fast food up-sells like a motherfucker, they want you in their store, you'll want the cheap or free shit, but majority buy extra, hence the same promotion

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I did avoid the check box because I usually at least skim and saw that (Also thought it was scummy) but the other one is with the Epic Launcher it immediately starts downloading Fortnite. I cancelled that right quick thankfully.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Have you never heard get the customer through the door, everything will work out
Hell fast food up-sells like a motherfucker, they want you in their store, you'll want the cheap or free shut, but majority but extra, hence the same promotion
This is competition at work, and people are already complaining about how there's competition lol. I love Steam, I think they are fantastic and have done an obscene amount for the industry, remain a private company and continue to do very developer and consumer friendly things. But there's nothing wrong with extra competition.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
No surprise, though i was expecting 'bigger' games.

Anyway, no way a lot are changing its client cause there are free games from the start available, but its a nice welcome gift i guess. Everybodys seeing now they are losing money due to external distribution so that moves are predictable and understandable.

In general imo this development is bad for customers to install more .exe on your PC and to give more companies your data due to subs and similar contracts. But in the end they can do whatever they want with their property.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Can you play it in VR through the Epic store?
Subnautica in VR is terrific. Gives me that weird vertigo but underwater feeling.
Yup! You just have to have Steam VR open, then run the game and it automatically switchs to VR mode. I'm 4 hours in and it's the only way I'm gonna play because it's too damn good.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I thought some of you lot were all about supporting the devs. Buy the games if you want them.

What? EPIC are covering the cost and paying the devs as explained many times before in this thread. Has everyone gone completely mad to the point where free stuff is "anti-consumer" because its luring people away from your favourite store front? Hilarity

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Hell fast food up-sells like a motherfucker, they want you in their store, you'll want the cheap or free shit, but majority buy extra, hence the same promotion
It's crazy. I saw some people in one of these threads complaining that these free games aren't a benefit to the consumer because the giveaways might only last a year. Someone else complained that the free games are no good because they don't have Steam trading cards!

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy. I saw some people in one of these threads complaining that these free games aren't a benefit to the consumer because the giveaways might only last a year. Someone else complained that the free games are no good because they don't have Steam trading cards!

Well, free games are nice, but they don't invalidate legitimate concerns people still have about the store.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that just on you not reading what people are actually saying.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't like the idea of paid exclusives but epic throwing money at devs to give me free games is fine

subnautica is fantastic too, and i don't even usually like survival games

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Free if you agree to give your info over to Tencent. Nothing is ever truly free.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I mean that just on you not reading what people are actually saying.
Here were some of those posts from that thread. And what a coincidence, you were there at the exact same time replying to me with, "But no one is complaining. People are pointing out that it isnt a store benefit, because it literally isnt." And now you're at it again.

"generally they seem to be bit more of a middle of a ground indie titles with scores around 6-7... they're just gonna do that for next year and stop doing it?"

"Giving free games does nothing except make users wait and not buy."

"It's also a bit disengenious. Those free games are not benefits"

"anything free that's not on my wishlist is useless. Especially true for some people if there's no steam trading cards."

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ep...ing-to-developers.84967/page-10#post-15640878

Last edited:

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here were some of those posts from that thread. And what a coincidence, you were there at the exact same time replying to me with, "But no one is complaining. People are pointing out that it isnt a store benefit, because it literally isnt." And now you're at it again.

"generally they seem to be bit more of a middle of a ground indie titles with scores around 6-7... they're just gonna do that for next year and stop doing it?"

"Giving free games does nothing except make users wait and not buy."

"It's also a bit disengenious. Those free games are not benefits"

"anything free that's not on my wishlist is useless. Especially true for some people if there's no steam trading cards."
The conversation was about store features. Free games aren't a feature, it's a time limited promotion.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Free Subnautica is pretty dope. That's better than anything I can remember getting on PS+ recently and that's a pay service

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
They're in bed with the chinese government who also funds hacking groups. What could a hacking group do with access to information....

If there's specific-enough substantiation for that, it sounds like a worthwhile thread topic. Honestly though, you're presenting this so vaguely that it comes across more as innuendo. In so many words, your accusation could apply to Google (or any number of other companies). Yes, I'm basically presenting that as a challenge (which would serve the community if you do deliver strong info).

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
They're in bed with the chinese government who also funds hacking groups. What could a hacking group do with access to information....
Meanwhile the UK/US governments undermine corporate security and businesses through its hacking endeavours and almost all large companies shrug if they have a data breach.

Hacking groups have enough data that they're not going to do piss with your email and basic information gained from a game store.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Peddling conspiracy rhetoric
Meanwhile the UK/US governments undermine corporate security and businesses through its hacking endeavours and almost all large companies shrug if they have a data breach.

Hacking groups have enough data that they're not going to do piss with your email and basic information.

It's far more than your basic info. If you get their launcher on your PC they'll be able to siphon away any data they want at any time. Sure Valve could do that too theoretically but Valve isn't protected by the chinese government. They would get crushed with legal issues.