• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 9, 2018
via TechCrunch
Investors in the latest round include KKR, Iconiq Capital, Smash Ventures, Vulcan Capital, Lightspeed Venture Partners, as well as gaming companies like aXiomatic, which announced a significant investment from the NBA legend Michael Jordan earlier in October.

The new investors are joining Tencent, Disney, and Endeavor as minority shareholders in the company — which amazingly still is controlled by its chief executive and founder, Tim Sweeney.

"Epic Games has fundamentally changed the model for interactive entertainment under the company's visionary leadership," said Ted Oberwager of KKR, in a statement.
Typically companies raise massive amounts of VC when they want to expand even faster, even if they are already making a healthy profit.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
probably to further push into non-gaming territories. wouldn't be surprised if this was to bolster their real-time cinematics push

Jun 18, 2018
"Epic Games has fundamentally changed the model for interactive entertainment under the company's visionary leadership," said Ted Oberwager of KKR, in a statement.

If visionary is re-purpose your failing online game to follow in the footsteps of PUBG.

Epic have done some amazing things with Fortnite since then, but it's beginnings are much more humble than that.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really interested in what comes next for them. They got talent and pretty much limitless finding now.

I presume they'll just double down on Fortnite but expand into other media with it. I really don't expect them to create any new IP now unless it crumbles.

Pretty amazing turnaround, yeah they copied PUBG but really carved their own way after to great success. I wonder if Microsoft ever considered buying them, looked at shareholders, Tencent, shit, majority owner, Tim Sweeney, that's a wrap.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hehe, funny you say that.

As I recall, getting Tencent involved is what drove CliffyB to have "Creative Differences" with Sweeny and "resign" from leading Fortnite development.

Cliffy is probably spinning in his career's grave right now.

Fortnite was on a different path then so can't really say Cliffy would have done anything. I think he would be more interested in his Epic shares, company share privilege or whatever if he still had any?

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they're planning acquisitions with that much cash.

They don't really need cash to cover their organic expansion.

Last edited:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
why would he do that? he might be a big proponent of open-ecosystems, but this would be a waste of resources
He's pretty obsessively anti-Windows, not just a proponent of open ecosystems.

I'm not predicting that is what he'll do I'm just saying it wouldn't shock me if Sweeney at some point tried to take on Windows.

Rondras

Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Is it time to start thinking about Unreal Engine 5?
I don't think they need it yet but they are probably working on it already(you know, just basic stuff, so they can easily switch to that later on).

The few stuff that UE4 is missing are things that are in Star Engine/Lumberyard(Star Citizen) and are probably patented, the rest is "small" stuff that you usually can implement trough third party software.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
So is releasing a f2p game with mtx visionary now? After countless other companies doing it?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol one hit wonder and get $1.25 from thirsty investors chasing the next big thing.

there is too much money in this world.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
lol one hit wonder and get $1.25 from thirsty investors chasing the next big thing.

To be fair, their engine is almost an industry standard. PUBG uses it. It is like if BMWs used Porche engines, if your shit is so good that your rivals use it, you doing something right

Deception

Nov 15, 2017

One hit wonder? They've had 1 of the most successful franchises in gaming last generation and one of the most beloved FPS franchises the generation before that.
Brush up on your history.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, their engine is almost an industry standard. PUBG uses it. It is like if BMWs used Porche engines, if your shit is so good that your rivals use it, you doing something right
right but UE3 was even more widely used last gen and they didnt raise anywhere close to $1.25 billions in investments. these bandwagon investors are only jumping on because of the success of fortnite.

One hit wonder? They've had 1 of the most successful franchises in gaming last generation and one of the most beloved FPS franchises the generation before that.
Brush up on your history.

See above.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So is releasing a f2p game with mtx visionary now? After countless other companies doing it?
A f2p game that updates far quicker than any other game and has entered a partnership with NERF is pretty significant. They are definitely visionaries in making a business model work. They are also the industry leader in development engines.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fortnite is why they're getting all this money, and while they have brilliantly handled that project post launch, I don't see any reason to see EPIC as this machine capable of churning out repeated billion dollar ideas.

It truly seems like they got lucky with Fortnite to some degree. Right time, right place, great execution.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
Fundamentally changed the model for interactive entertainment?

Fortnite is an amazingly popular game. And it's a good game.

But it's not "fundamentally changed the model for interactive entertainment" good

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
man... remember when nearly everyone thought fortnite was a bad idea and waste of time when it was announced

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what they are raising this for as would of thought Fortnight would be bringing them in plenty of money. Maybe to go public as they are still private right?

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
man... remember when nearly everyone thought fortnite was a bad idea and waste of time when it was announced
It kind of was. They took many years to make it, launched it to paltry sales and interest, and then they decided to perfectly pivot to create a PUBG variant and it blew up.

Fortnite as they intended it to be wasn't a brilliant thing. They just happen to be in the exact right moment to react and they played their cards perfectly.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
right but UE3 was even more widely used last gen and they didnt raise anywhere close to $1.25 billions in investments. these bandwagon investors are only jumping on because of the success of fortnite.

See above.
Well Fortnite is also one of the biggest cultural phenomena of this decade so of course, investors want to get on now that's hot.

"Bandwagon investors hopping onto the Apple bandwagon for releasing a phone" - Some Guy in 2007

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

But it's not "fundamentally changed the model for interactive entertainment" good
It sorta did, just not for people that have been in the thick of it. This is an enthusiast forum after all. ;)

Fortnite is the first notably massive product to have succeeded on such a large scale with a business model of its type. It's practically revolutionizing the way other companies are going to try and implement a f2p mtx model. We haven't seen anything yet, but Fortnite's success is still relatively new all things considered.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I kind of disagree. Look at the rocket event and dozens of other real-time moments and events unfolding in front of everyone currently in-server. I literally can't think of any other interactive gaming experience like that.
It was.

Then they tacked on a BR mode.
I've been playing StW since before BR came out and I still like it... cool concept and art style. Weapons and base building are great and the biomes and map creation are also awesome. Just needs badly to be finished quite frankly.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, fewer and fewer AAA studios are using the Unreal engine and instead using in house engines. Probably just the publishers not wanting to share money with Epic.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
It kind of was. They took many years to make it, launched it to paltry sales and interest, and then they decided to perfectly pivot to create a PUBG variant and it blew up.

Fortnite as they intended it to be wasn't a brilliant thing. They just happen to be in the exact right moment to react and they played their cards perfectly.

It was.

Then they tacked on a BR mode.
If BR didn't exist we don't what they could have done to Save The World. As of now that mode has like less than 10 people working on it but if it had the entire team it could have turned out different.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If BR didn't exist we don't what they could have done to Save The World. As of now that mode has like less than 10 people working on it but if it had the entire team it could have turned out different.
The BR mode didn't exist when they shipped the original game to stores, so the entire team did work on it.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
The BR mode didn't exist when they shipped the original game to stores, so the entire team did work on it.
But had they kept working on it the game would have probably turned our differently. BR mode is getting major game changing updates while STW is getting minimal updates.