• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Epic Launches Digital Games Store With 88 Percent Revenue Going To Developers

Epic Games, developer of titles like Fortnite, the first Gears of War trilogy, and Unreal Tournament, has announced the creation of a new digital PC store that hopes to compete with Steam by offering an unprecedented revenue split for developers.

The Epic Games Store is launching as a full-fledged game marketplace supporting all sorts of titles. The Fortnite developer hopes to incentivize developers to come over to the Epic Games Store by pushing the revenue split for software further than any platform holder has before, giving developers 88 percent of the revenues while keeping 12 percent for overhead. This is a big change considering the traditional industry standard for digital revenue split usually gives 30 percent to the store owner, whether it be Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple, Android, or Valve. Perhaps anticipating this move, Valve recently made adjustments to Steam's revenue model, but only above certain thresholds that most games won't hit.

"As a developer ourselves, we have always wanted a platform with great economics that connects us directly with our players," Epic Games founder and CEO Tim Sweeney said in a press statement. "Thanks to the success of Fortnite, we now have this and are ready to share it with other developers."

The absurd amount of money that Fortnite makes every day clearly allowed Epic to invest the money into making this more developer-friendly store. The company also made this change with its Unreal asset store earlier this year, again citing the massive profits from Fortnite as the reason they can afford a thinner profit off store purchases.

Another prong of Epic's developer-friendly approach is waiving all Unreal Engine royalty fees for revenue generated on the store. If a developer's game uses UE4, copies sold on Epic's store don't give a separate percentage to Epic, encouraging developers and publishers to direct their fans to the Epic Game Store and buy there. To get anywhere close to the same revenue split on Steam, a creator would have to make $50 million in revenue on Steam alone before getting to an 80/20 split, with engine fees still on top.

epic28td9s.jpeg

More here

Last edited:

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/1...e-with-88-percent-revenue-going-to-developers

The Epic Games Store is launching as a full-fledged game marketplace supporting all sorts of titles. The Fortnite developer hopes to incentivize developers to come over to the Epic Games Store by pushing the revenue split for software further than any platform holder has before, giving developers 88 percent of the revenues while keeping 12 percent for overhead.

epic2.jpeg

It also wont be available in China:

Tim Sweeney: Epic Games Store is available to users in most countries in the world except for China and where prohibited by US law, such as North Korea and Iran.

And curated:

Tim Sweeney: Right now we're manually selecting games for the store, so there is no formal process. We'll announce further details as we work to open the store up more widely in 2019.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
For the past five years, we've been building tools enabling Epic to bring our games directly to players. We built the Epic Games launcher on PC and Mac featuring Fortnite and Unreal Engine; we built a worldwide digital commerce ecosystem supporting dozens of payment methods; and we gained great economies of scale thanks to Fortnite's growth.

As developers ourselves, we wanted two things: a store with fair economics, and a direct relationship with players. And we've heard that many of you want this too!

Soon we'll launch the Epic Games store, and begin a long journey to advance the cause of all developers. The store will launch with a hand-curated set of games on PC and Mac, then it will open up more broadly to other games and to Android and other open platforms throughout 2019.

The Epic Games store will operate on the following principles:

All Developers Earn 88%

Developers receive 88% of revenue. There are no tiers or thresholds. Epic takes 12%. And if you're using Unreal Engine, Epic will cover the 5% engine royalty for sales on the Epic Games store, out of Epic's 12%.

UnrealEngine%2FNews%2FAnnouncing+the+Epic+Games+Store%2FEpicGamesStore_InfoGraphic-1920x1080-df66848d0d804e4366355775eae247a9abdeb1e7.jpg

Have a Direct Relationship With Players
People who buy your games automatically subscribe to your newsfeed so you can reach them with game updates and news about upcoming releases. The newsfeed is front-and-center. You'll also be able to reach your players through email, if they choose to share it.

Connect with Creators
YouTube content creators, Twitch streamers, bloggers, and others are at the leading edge of game discovery. The 10,000-strong Epic Games Support-A-Creator program helps you reach creators, so they can help you reach players. If you opt to participate, creators who refer players to buy your game will receive a share of the revenue that you set (tracked by code or affiliate marketing link). To jumpstart the creator economy, Epic will cover the first 5% of creator revenue-sharing for the first 24 months.

Developers Control Their Game Pages
As a developer, you control your game page and your newsfeed. There will be no store-placed ads or cross-marketing of competing games on your page, and no paid ads in search results.

All Engines Are Welcome
The Epic Games store is open to games built with any engine, and the first releases span Unreal, Unity and internal engines.

When You Succeed, We Succeed
We've built this store and its economic model so that Epic's interests are aligned with your interests. Because of the high volume of Fortnite transactions, we can process store payments, serve bandwidth, and support customers very efficiently. From Epic's 12% store fee, we'll have a profitable business we'll grow and reinvest in for years to come!

--

More details on upcoming game releases will be revealed at The Game Awards this Thursday, December 6th.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
This is fantastic news for the industry. Steam needs some heavy hitter competition, and If anyone can pull it, it's Epic Games.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
China and Fortnite are really propelling Epic forwards in an interesting direction.

I could be interested in this store if the games are available there as an option, and if they work against DRM like Denuvo. Otherwise, probably not.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
That's a power move. Now they just need the games. Steam has the advantage of the install-base.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Megaton!

This is incredible. Finally Steam will have some tough competition.

I'm quite curious to see how the industry will react to this.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
What I'll say may sound unpopular with developpers but I believe that if 88% becomes the developper share as an industry standard, we can say goodbye to our cheaper games on Voidu, GMG, Gamesplanet and other legit sites.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Sure, why not.

With this, more indie devs would probably move to itch.io and epic store while the big publishers will stay on Steam. Which may also lead to more games for us to choose. Everyone wins.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will open up Fortnite cross promotional items to get some of the big players.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I dont welcome this as good news at all for buyers.
88% cut for the devs means we're not getting cheaper games anymore.

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huge competition for Steam.

Unreal devs not paying engine royalties on sales via the Epic Store could be big for them.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
interesting to see they're allowing more than just Unreal Games. this is a big move against Steam. will be interesting to see how this plays out

Christo750

May 10, 2018
That's a fantastic deal for developers that I cannot see Epic sticking to for very long after it starts.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Worth linking this interview with Tim Sweeney too.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/12/03/tim-sweeney-answers-questions-about-the-new-epic-games-store

What other platforms are you trying to extend the store to? Are you talking about mobile and console?

The Epic Games store is launching on PC and Mac in 2018, and Android later in 2019. We'd like to launch on iOS in 2019, however, that is in apparent conflict with current Apple policy.

We believe all general purpose computing devices, such as PCs, smartphones, and tablets, should be open to competition between stores.

Consoles are a different market, with dedicated game machines whose hardware costs are often partly subsidized by software revenue. Epic doesn't seek to operate a storefront on console platforms, but as an engine maker we do everything we can to enable cross-platform interoperability.

Does the store use any style of digital right management, and can players play these games offline or is an internet connection required?

We do not have any store-wide DRM. Developers are free to use their own DRM solutions if they choose.

What sort of exclusive games are going to come to this platform? Is exclusivity something you are thinking about?

Epic's own games are exclusive to the Epic Games Store on PC and Mac, and we'll sometimes fund developers to release games exclusively through the store.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok neat for devs but what do customers get out of this? They have a long way to go before they can compete with steam in features. All this is is another shitty launcher that we have to use.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Well since epic doesn't create games that are of any appeal to me, it doesn't atleast affect me much however if its only a store then i guess iam fine with it giving a steam a run for its money as a store which can have valve act to improve steam even more! Now if its starts doing exclusive games stuff from other devs while not improving its interface for user convenience then its bound to be another abysmal MS store esque store and i hope it shits the bed. Regardless i don't see a problem with it so far.

But again a fair warning to epic: If they don't think of surpassing valve in terms of providing features and convenience to its users and only think of providing developers more revenue, it won't be able to take a nice chunk of steam users away from valve because Steam is much more than just a download store for PC gamers.

The actual Steam killer, perhaps.

It can only 'kill' steam if it gives both the developers and the users better features and incentives than what Steam is offering. Still technically it would take a huge effort to possibly 'kill' steam. But yes if Epic do it right then Steam will have great competition to compete against. They already have GOG and now there's epic, but this all depends on how Epic games take this opportunity seriously.

Last edited:

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a significant development, I'd like to think.

It'll be an uphill battle, but PC gamers have been getting used to using more storefronts beside Steam like Origin and uPlay.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
This sounds nice and all for the devs.

But there wasn't a single reason given why I should buy there.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Only 12% royalties? Now this is interesting. Let's hope they actually try to compete with Steam by building a great client, instead of going for exclusivity deals like most other "competitors" for Steam.

Edit: seems they are aiming for exclusivity as well. F*ck more fragmentation on PC!

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
TimSweeney said:
What sort of exclusive games are going to come to this platform? Is exclusivity something you are thinking about?

Epic's own games are exclusive to the Epic Games Store on PC and Mac, and we'll sometimes fund developers to release games exclusively through the store.

Oh, thx Tim Sweeney. Exclusives that we customers desire so much. Doesn't sound worrying at all, with Tencent involved.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome.

I feel kinda justified calling this like 6+ months ago but I thought it'd be 80-20 and for UE4 games specifically.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
We'll have to see where this goes. At the start, I don't think this will be very much. A year from now, though, it could be fairly big.

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
If anyone can pull off being a serious competitor to Steam, it's Epic. They got the money for it. Curious to see how this develops.