• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These:

"This is great. Finally Steam gets some competition."

Just read like drive-by posts. I don't believe anyone thinks these will "compete" with Steam in any way whatsoever for the people actually buying the games...

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Posts like these seem so disingenuous and fake. You don't like or use Steam, but randomly Epic puts out a launcher and you're ready to use it instantly! It's pretty odd behavior, or maybe that's just me.

Odd yes but par for the course in these threads, doesn't even stand out anymore. Same was posted many times when Discord launched its store. Wonder how many of them actually put money where their mouths are and bought something there. My guess would be zero to one based on how long that hype lasted.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they have gift cards, like Steam. Can't buy anything from GOG, because it doesn't accept gift cards.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Odd yes but par for the course in these threads, doesn't even stand out anymore. Same was posted many times when Discord launched its store. Wonder how many of them actually put money where their mouths are and bought something there. My guess would be zero to one.

The thing is in 8 pages we dont have the obvious:

"I have a triple 2080ti, i9-9800k, 128gb RAM, Gsync 40" monitor, but I rather buy from Origin!"

Seriously. What are the features that Epics Launcher/Client will offer that Steam wont have. Because of the lower cut, most big pub games wont get lower. Bamco wont make their 50€ games that are 50€ on all plattforms cheaper on Epics Launcher.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading this thread, most people must play only games from Origin/Uplay and Battle.Net
This should be a case study!

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly with that Unreal Engine royalty discount and the fact that Unreal is already the most popular game engine I don't see how their store won't offer a lot of games. What matters to me is what does the store offer as a consumer.

I would like it to be possible to access in game content in a web browser. Quite a few games involve complex systems that you can study over time. If I could access various in game UI through my phone or tablet that would be a big step up in the user experience.

But that's really hard to implement so I wouldn't expect that any time soon.

If Epic is serious a less restrictive form of offline play would make at least look at their platform.

One thing they could easily do that would make me an instant fan is offer a subscription fee enabled sharing program where we can invite 3 friends to play on the same copy of any game in our library. This way games we individually are interested in but ended up with dead multiplayer servers can now be played with the subscriptions we pay while convincing other people who don't own the game yet to play with us.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I share the sentiment, all of those companies "competing" with exclusives can fuck the right off.

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
This is nice for developers. Nothing for the consumer. This will go nowhere just like any other launcher.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
This sounds nice and all for the devs.

But there wasn't a single reason given why I should buy there.
Seriously? Because the people who poured multiple years of their lives into making the games you love playing get more money, at no added expense for you.

Amazing news, and I'll definitely be looking for games here first from now on.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
This looks like it could be disruptive which is good.

I can't wait to see if it has any impact

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Seriously? Because the people who poured multiple years of their lives into making the games you love playing get more money, at no added expense for you.

If its an AAA game, I doubt that the devs get more money out of it...

If its about Indie-devs, they might get it but at an inconvenience for me as a consumer. "No added expense" but a worse experience.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Epic: We're announcing a storefront with extremely competitive revenue splits, and we're also making explicit statements about our intention to compete with other storefronts to change the market for the better for developers large and small alike.

This thread: Endless posts about Epic not akshually being competitive and why Steam is so great.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Posts like these seem so disingenuous and fake. You don't like or use Steam, but randomly Epic puts out a launcher and you're ready to use it instantly! It's pretty odd behavior, or maybe that's just me.

It is both disingenuous and fake. Check the post-history of these people, they never show up in any of our PC Gaming or Community threads. Just the ones that pop-up on a seemingly monthly basis to shit on Valve.

For some reason they don't get flagged by mods, but I bet if I popped on over to the 1st-party threads just to stir some shit I'd get the boot in a heartbeat.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
Imagine, when you buy games you get some V-Buck or in season pass you get discount on the shop.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
You'd think people just took their first class of economics with the blind it's competition! statements.

New platforms that do not try to compete by providing better services, but rather through exclusivity is terrible competition, and only hurts customers. Closed-platforms (i.e. consoles) that force you into using their one (paid) service, one store, approved accessories, and largely compete by exclusivity nonsense is terrible competition.
And we have ample evidence for that.
E.g. when console platform holders with a captive audience and exclusive distribution of games require payments to play peer-to-peer online games, people shrug, maybe moan a bit, and then pay up since they don't have an option.
If you try that on a marketplace with actual competition, where you can get the same game on different software platforms, it fails miserably. As we saw.

The power there is exactly in the same library being available across different platforms on the same hardware, and paying for game exclusivity takes away that power from gamers.

Competition would look like a platform that offers new competitive features to their customers, and does not force people's hands with exclusives, even among their first-party games. This is GOG.

Steam is the best gaming platform by far because it offers the best features to both customers and developers. Despite being at the top, they've continued to release incredible features that are far ahead of any competitors (on the PC and outside of it). And to top it all of, they've insisted on open-platform policies such as allowing developers and third-party storefronts to sell keys taking no cut that ironically create better competition for customers than what these other (vast majority) competitors have managed to do.
Exactly.

Epic: We're announcing a storefront with extremely competitive revenue splits, and we're also making explicit statements about our intention to compete with other storefronts to change the market for the better for developers large and small alike.
They also made explicit statements about their intention to buy store exclusivity.
Which is the exact opposite of being competitive in a sense which is positive for customers.

They also stated that e.g. their store will allow publishers to decide whether or not their games can be rated/reviewed by customers.
Which is an indication of a power balance shift from gamers to publishers I really don't appreciate.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

This thread: Endless posts about Epic not akshually being competitive and why Steam is so great.

We have developers in this thread and on Twitter chiming in:

I'm a one-man indie dev who just released their second title on Steam. Would I like to get more than 70% of the revenue? Sure. But for that 18% difference:
1) My games support integrated leaderboards--a critical feature in score-attack games like mine--and I don't have to run any servers.
2) My games support Xbox One/360, DualShock4, Switch Pro, and Steam Controllers, without me having to do anything.
3) My games have a set of Achievements.
4) My games support cloud saving.
5) My games can't be copied/pirated willy-nilly, because they can detect whether they're running through the Steam client, and they quit if they're not.
6) Steam Support has gotten back to me very quickly when I've encountered any issues, and they've been very thorough when reviewing my builds.

The price difference is justified imo. My customers get more and I get more.

If Epic offers comparable service in the future, that'd be awesome. I hope they do. But if not, then dollars aren't everything.

If you want to compete with Steam, please compete with Steam in 2018, not 2009.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Not another one.
Discord, Uplay, Origin, Steam, Epic, Microsoft, GOG, etc. I want a launcher that can put all this shit together.

I know Playnite can put all your games in one place automatically, but I wish Steam was capable of doing the same thing all on its own. And then on top of it, they could also add the option to force BPM in non-steam games for easy controller support for all games.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
STEAM definitely needs the competition, they take their position for granted.
Yeah, what did they do this year?
Create an app for Android that lets you transform your smart devices into computers via easy and functioning streaming?
Create and support a program that allows thousands of new games to be playable on Linux?
Changes in preparation for the new Steam UI rollout
  • like the new chat?
  • like being able to stream in your game page?
  • like adding developer pages and franchise pages?
Finally allowing R18 games?

Truly a year they did nothing

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well with all those epic accounts created it would be stupid not to open the store!

Steam really is walking in to 2019 with a big problem

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Great news for developers. 30% was always a ridiculous amount. I hope the Apple App Store and Google Play stores consider lowering their cut going forward.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I still have yet to see why people would switch to this platform or just use it beyond the odd game.

Great for devs though, I just don't see it being successful.
I'm curious as to the numbers for people who play fortnite on PC, but don't own games through other services like steam. For those, the Epic store would be their only store front. Even if that percentage is small (10% or so ) of fortnite pc users, that is still millions.
Considering the lack of competition on the storefront seeing as it's a brand new store, that could mean large sales numbers for early adopters.
Think switch software sales numbers.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Amazing. Valve has been an incredibly shitty tech libertarian company that needs to be fixed entirely, and I hope that this platform at least won't be as hands off, neutral towards fascists, and offloading the work to its consumers (read: exploiting) as Steam does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tencent#Controversy

Many of Tencent's software and services are remarkably similar to those of competitors. The founder and chairman, Huateng "Pony Ma" Ma, famously said, "[To] copy is not evil." A former CEO and president of SINA.com, Wang Zhidong, said, "Pony Ma is a notorious king of copying." Jack Ma of Alibaba Group stated, "The problem with Tencent is the lack of innovation; all of their products are copies."

They own almost 50% of Epic.

Can't wait for China to deliver us from the unspeakable evils Valve is committing every day.

i see your username and you are obviously biased, opinion dismissed

Damn, exposed. Gottagofast.

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

There's an expense for me when games are more expensive and when the service is worse.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
On a side note it's extremly embarrassing for ERA that all these shit and low quality drive-by-post are allowed by the moderation in PC and especially threads about Valve.

LIke does the moderation on this forum even care about post quality in PC threads?

Last edited:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
They wont make Fortnite exclusive to the platform, but they can give some extra stufd for those who use it, new skins or bonus XP or whatever for some time to force adoption.

If they do that, deliver a solid service (dl speed, stability) and can have some games cheaper than everywhere else they will be up to a good start.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Love to see people shitting on Steam, Valve shacked the PC platform and market, a fuckton of indies found success thanks to Steam, major publishers started to release their games on PC, we had a huge influx of japanese games and the whole Steam ecosystem is always improving, but, somehow now Steam and Valve are the bad guys, try to guess why in 14 years no major publisher ever managed to reach Steam numbers or popularity, try to imagine PC gaming in 2018 without Steam. I have no issues with competition and more launchers as long as i have a good experience and i don't have to deal with broken stuff.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello fellow PC gamers I think Steam needs the competition to help keep my prankster uncle from updating my drivers from his comfy couch.

Competition tends to offer something to the consumer, not just the business end. If anything this will likely take some things away as "exclusive" games on the platform will not end up on third party sites like GMG, Humble, etc and so it will give us less choice.

The only possible way it could offer us stuff is if devs, since their cut is now bigger, will more aggressively discount their games, though with other store / platform versions that's been seeming rarer and rarer in general.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
On a side note it's extremy embarrassing for ERA that all these shit and low quality drive-by-post are allowed by the moderation in PC and especially threads about Valve.

LIke does the moderation on this forum even care about post quality in PC threads?

Of course not. It's why the PC thread title was changed from Steam Gaming to PC Gaming.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
On a side note it's extremy embarrassing for ERA that all these shit and low quality drive-by-post are allowed by the moderation in PC and especially threads about Valve.

I mean, they have told us flat out before that "PC isn't a platform."

They locked down our community thread and almost killed it one time, not because we were bad, but others came in to stir shit and we reacted.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
The big challenge will be customer acquisition and getting people to buy on their platform rather than their competition. You have to offer consumers what they really care about, games and good prices.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indie market wont go anywhere. They are happy enough with Steam for now.

What AAA games use unreal? This could continue the exodus of AAA from Steam.

Nov 1, 2017
How do you figure? Are you even aware of what Valve has been doing in the PC space lately? They don't just sit around and farm money from the Steam store you know

I wish they'd invest some of it in customer service because the few times I needed it I never got a reply back from them. That is pretty god damn frustrating. What games they permit on their site was a shitshow for the longest time as well.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Developers or publishers ?

Also why would Joe public give a shit?

Is it because prices will be lower if there's less going to the store owner?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd invest some of it in customer service because the few times I needed it I never got a reply back from them. That is pretty god damn frustrating. What games they permit on their site was a shitshow for the longest time as well.
Newsflash, they did. They've hired dedicated support teams and have open support stats available to you at anytime, which demonstrate that the rate of resolved support tickets has increased dramatically.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Great news for developers. 30% was always a ridiculous amount. I hope the Apple App Store and Google Play stores consider lowering their cut going forward.
What about Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo?
They should go even lower since people are already paying monthly fees to them.

I'm all for reducing platform holder fees across the board.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018

They did invest into their customer service and it has improved tenfold. Don't know when you had issues but nowadays it's pretty solid and on the level of other stores.

You mean the infamously godawful Steam support that no one likes and everyone calls a hassle to use? That's the hill you want to die on?

When have you yourself talked to them the last time? Kinda useless regurgitating old tales for all eternity.