• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ghost

Oct 26, 2017
Couldn't find a thread about this when I searched but feel free to lock if old.

At Epic, our goal is to help game developers succeed. Throughout 2019, we'll be launching a large set of cross-platform game services originally built for Fortnite, and battle-tested with 200,000,000 players across 7 platforms. These services will be free for all developers, and will be open to all engines, all platforms, and all stores. As a developer, you're free to choose mix-and-match solutions from Epic and others as you wish.

• Cross-Platform Login, Friends, Presence, Profile, and Entitlements (coming Q2-Q3 2019 to PC, other platforms throughout 2019): Provides the core functionality for persistently recognizing players across multiple sessions and devices; identifying friends; and managing free and paid item entitlements. This will support all 7 major platforms (PC, Mac, iOS, Android, PlayStation, Xbox, Switch) to the full extent each platform allows per-title.
  • PC/Mac Overlay API (coming Q3 2019): Provides a user interface for login, friends, and other features in a game-agnostic, engine-agnostic way.
  • Cross-Platform Voice Comms (coming Q3 2019 to all platforms): Epic is building a new in-game voice communications service supporting all platforms, all stores, and all engines, which will be available for free. (For developers needing an immediately-available voice solution, check out Discord, Vivox, TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, and Mumble.)
  • Cross-Platform Parties and Matchmaking (coming Q3-4 2019 to all platforms)
  • Cross-Platform Data Storage, Cloud-Saved Games (coming Q2 2019)
  • Cross-Platform Achievements and Trophies (coming Q3 2019

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/epic-2019-cross-platform-online-services-roadmap

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Fortnite's implementation of cross-platform progression AND play is the future of gaming. People need to adapt or perish. This is awesome for Epic to do. Hopefully games like Rocket League and Overwatch could make use of this stuff.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad we are finally on the page that if you game goes to multiple platforms, let the people choose where to play. Long will be the days where you can't play play Overwatch with your bro cause you have a PS4 and he has an Xbox. Bless Epic.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Great to hear...I hope this type of stuff happens with all platform holders. More interop!

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
While I haven't been a fan of the stuff they've done with their store so far, this is great. This is how they should attract devs to their platform.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Cross-Platform Parties and Matchmaking "
This is pretty damn fucking massive. Epic doing what Sony/MS/Nintendo aren't capable of doing alone.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Hope this goes places. So many games I would have double-dipped on if I were able to carry progress between PC and console. The lack of cross-play has been potential money lost (at least from me) for devs and platform holders alike.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Fortnite's implementation of cross-platform progression AND play is the future of gaming. People need to adapt or perish. This is awesome for Epic to do. Hopefully games like Rocket League and Overwatch could make use of this stuff.
Yup. It blew my mind how I could just plug a keyboard, a mouse and play against PC players.

mephixto

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm I wonder If every publisher it's gonna implement this on their own games, imagine giving your console and pub credentials all the time you launch a game.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The cross platform stuff is nice and all but doesn't matter much if the consoles won't let it happen *cough* sony *cough*. Also I'm pretty sure steam already has support for this stuff too.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I somehow missed the first bullet point of singular identity. I wish all games had this. I don't even mind having console only matchmaking, I just want to be able to carry over my progress to different consoles for the games I play.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I think I see what their game is now RE: that store

They're gonna try to pop everything on everything, similar to how Microsoft wants their products on every platform, just so long as you pay/use theirs

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
all platforms, and all stores

Why do I have the feeling this isn't going to be available for steam users....

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
The cross platform stuff is nice and all but doesn't matter much if the consoles won't let it happen *cough* sony *cough*. Also I'm pretty sure steam already has support for this stuff too.

If by "support for this stuff" you mean leaving it to every small developer to implement from the ground up for themselves... then sure.

And consoles will evidently let quite a bit of the most important functionality described here work... but as Epic states, they've already done it all with Fortnite.

Valve used to do console releases... they didn't do this.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I think I see what their game is now RE: that store

They're gonna try to pop everything on everything, similar to how Microsoft wants their products on every platform, just so long as you pay/use theirs

the battle to be a cross platform provider is going to lead to some very interesting, fractured times. it helps that Epic already has a healthier relationship with the console makers though, and they have one of the biggest games on the market.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, can't wait to see the PS Network engineers who needed 4-5 years to allow nickname changes to work side by side with the guys who are still using friend codes.
I can sort of give Sony some slack for the name change issue. I'm sure that stems from just bad planning. Even Microsoft had to shutdown their whole original Xbox Live service to make improvements to the current iteration we use today.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
the battle to be a cross platform provider is going to lead to some very interesting, fractured times. it helps that Epic already has a healthier relationship with the console makers though, and they have one of the biggest games on the market.

I bet they can't force the issue for full cross/buy, but progression/DLC and such might swap over if Fortnite is any indicator

That could get Blizzard into the similar game too where your progression saves across, which would be very useful

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
  • Cross-Platform Voice Comms (coming Q3 2019 to all platforms): Epic is building a new in-game voice communications service supporting all platforms, all stores, and all engines, which will be available for free. (For developers needing an immediately-available voice solution, check out Discord, Vivox, TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, and Mumble.)

That's huge for crossplaying with Switch. I'm not a fan of everything thing Epic does but they really have been putting other gaming companies, platforms and stores to shame for the last year... Epic is going all in.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I bet they can't force the issue for full cross/buy, but progression/DLC and such might swap over if Fortnite is any indicator

That could get Blizzard into the similar game too where your progression saves across, which would be very useful

reading all this, the Epic store is really launching in 2019 Q3

you get your cloud saves, achievements etc, and cross platform progression, which is really cool.

i think if they get that, it would be the biggest get- i love the idea of playing an indie game on the switch, and then being able to carry on PC for example.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great, excited to check this all out and evaluate it when it launches.

Steam's social features are its biggest weakness, IMO. It's why Discord has been so massively popular/successful.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
This is huge. Still sad that Monster Hunter World doesn't support crossplay.

But now I'm even more hyped for Monster Hunter World 2!

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell, this has some serious potential if other devs can take advantage of the tools. If this means next-gen might be a little more open I'm all the hell for it.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
Does this mean every game on the epic store will have an login option for it's console counterpart?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If by "support for this stuff" you mean leaving it to every small developer to implement from the ground up for themselves... then sure.

And consoles will evidently let quite a bit of the most important functionality described here work... but as Epic states, they've already done it all with Fortnite.

Valve used to do console releases... they didn't do this.

Not really sure what the big deal is when during the whole sony won't do crossplay thing earlier this year we kept hearing about how easy it was to implement, they just needed everyone to sign off on it. Again what epic is doing here isn't really new but it comes down to everyone working together. Sony caved on fortnite but pretty much nothing else last I knew.

Tencent eyeing all the customer data's.

Oh you know they're salivating over it lol. They're probably the driving force behind the whole store concept.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Sounds great, excited to check this all out and evaluate it when it launches.

Steam's social features are its biggest weakness, IMO. It's why Discord has been so massively popular/successful.
an launcher-agnostic social platform won't be replaced by anything Steam, Epic or anyone else at this point. Discord is too big and too central to the multiplayer PC gaming experience. That's a good thing, IMO.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
So this is where Dauntless is getting the crossplay and mobile goodness from. If Epic pulls this off and starts an actual trend they will be my heroes.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I use Fortnite cross-progression every damn day between Xbox One X, Switch, PS4, Android and PC. I use Fortnite cross-play multiple times a week to play with friends across all platforms. My expectations have been completely skewed by Epic's cross-play/progression offerings - good, native cross-plat voice chat on Switch alone has been game-changing.

Albeit, from this blog post alone, I can't process the realities of these offerings for other devs as a layman/player. I'll be curious to see how it shakes out for devs and players once the tech is available in the latter half of 2019.

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
an launcher-agnostic social platform won't be replaced by anything Steam, Epic or anyone else at this point. Discord is too big and too central to the multiplayer PC gaming experience. That's a good thing, IMO.

Didn't say it would. But in the future, if I can play a multiplayer game on my PC with friends on PS4 and Switch and we are all in a party chat without requiring them to run Discord on their phones, that would be pretty great. That's how it works in Fortnite for me now.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of games that need cross-play are not able to do it financially, so this is very good.

Thought this was the case with the Skullomania fighter.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Overwatch isn't going to do it ever for crossplay and thank god for that (pc and console versions are different games). But they're also never going to do it for cross progrrssion bc less lootbox sales.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Not really sure what the big deal is when during the whole sony won't do crossplay thing earlier this year we kept hearing about how easy it was to implement, they just needed everyone to sign off on it. Again what epic is doing here isn't really new but it comes down to everyone working together. Sony caved on fortnite but pretty much nothing else last I knew.

Even *if* Sony decides to continue being non-cooperative, this would still be valuable across all the other platforms. What Epic is proposing IS new, and would make things drastically easier for team like Psyonix who instead have been forced to implement a crossplatform party/voice-chat/matchmaking solution of their own uniquely for their own game. Rather than every individual game studio having to go through that endeavour (which I'm not aware of a single example of Valve assisting with), Epic is offering a generic solution to the problem that considers more than just the PC platform.

If anything, they'd likely be the best shot at putting an end to Sony's crossplay nonsense for good... the momentum behind Fortnite alone made them cave before... imagine what the momentum behind a generic implementation supporting every platform excluding PlayStation may look like.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch isn't going to do it ever for crossplay and thank god for that (pc and console versions are different games). But they're also never going to do it for cross progrrssion bc less lootbox sales.

i was just discussing that - wouldn't this give more value to your skins and encourage spending for mtx in general? how many ppl invest in more than one platform for their dlc/skins for their double dipped games?