• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
Too bad they didn't announced a time-frame for Linux.
Maybe next year when they finish fully implementing Vulkan on UE4.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
haha, yes, it would centralize a lot of data - something i wonder if platform providers would be comfortable with handing over. As cool as all of this sounds, I rather just wait and see how console makers respond.
Considering the somewhat murky nature of Epic's Store being in compliance with GDPR I can't help but to wonder of the future in regards to this stuff. Especially when less privacy concerned parties are at the top of the chain.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't say it would. But in the future, if I can play a multiplayer game on my PC with friends on PS4 and Switch and we are all in a party chat without requiring them to run Discord on their phones, that would be pretty great. That's how it works in Fortnite for me now.

It works in fortnite because it's the biggest game in the world so other platforms had to basically concede to Epic. The console makers are ok with cross platform play (well not sony) but I really doubt they'll be ok with Epic taking away their middle man role for lots of other games in regards to voice chat and the other things listed. This feels like Epic promising the world when in reality they can only control what happens on their own place.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
i was just discussing that - wouldn't this give more value to your skins and encourage spending for mtx in general? how many ppl invest in more than one platform for their dlc/skins for their double dipped games?
Oh for me it would make double dipping more palatable but I don't think Blizzard would see it that way. Time played, level, achivements and unlocks would be cross progression and mmr and comp stuff would be platform specific. It would be perfect.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cross-progression is the main thing for me here. It's something I want in every game. It doesn't benefit the publisher to not have it either. I'd actively double dip on multiple titles if I could have cross-progression. Like i'd end up buying Anthem on both Xbox and PC if it had cross-progression, but instead i'm going to buy one platform and stick to it.

It's one of the main benefits of Microsoft's Play Anywhere stuff for me. I hope it's something that more games hop on if Epic gives them an easy way to implement it.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Overwatch isn't going to do it ever for crossplay and thank god for that (pc and console versions are different games). But they're also never going to do it for cross progrrssion bc less lootbox sales.

They already do cross platform for SOME skins. The Blizzard skins (with the B next to them) such as Officer D-Va and Kerrigan Widowmaker already go cross platform as long as you link your Bnet account.

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cross-progression is the main thing for me here. It's something I want in every game. It doesn't benefit the publisher to not have it either. I'd actively double dip on multiple titles if I could have cross-progression. Like i'd end up buying Anthem on both Xbox and PC if it had cross-progression, but instead i'm going to buy one platform and stick to it.

It's one of the main benefits of Microsoft's Play Anywhere stuff for me. I hope it's something that more games hop on if Epic gives them an easy way to implement it.

Completely agree. Sometimes I want to play in the office on my PC, other times I want to sit on the couch. Fortnite is the only game that really enables me to do this now (XPA has been mostly single player games, plus Gears and Forza).

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
It's as if Epic have a plan to roll out features steadily. I can imagine there's a desire to test each one carefully before moving on to the next so that they're not just posting broken features to the marketplace and hoping it's enough to compete with Steam.

May 9, 2018
This is more of an attack against Unity than against Valve/Steam.

EDIT: Apparently these integrations will be available for Unity as well.

Last edited:

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
It's as if Epic have a plan to roll out features steadily. I can imagine there's a desire to test each one carefully before moving on to the next so that they're not just posting broken features to the marketplace and hoping it's enough to compete with Steam.

its a logistical nightmare, and despite their announced roadmap, they may not succeed as you need cooperation from all the console makers. in theory, very cool, but reality is to wait and see how things turn out.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
"Cross-Platform Parties and Matchmaking "
This is pretty damn fucking massive. Epic doing what Sony/MS/Nintendo aren't capable of doing alone.

m23
Tbh MS already does cross platform parties between Xbox and PC (and matchmaking for games that support cross play between Xbox and PC). They've been doing this for like years now and actually 10 years if you count cross platform voice chat (non party). You don't even need to be playing the same game, you can even just play on steam and be in the same party as your friend on Xbox through the cross platform party chat they have.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Cross-platform mp stuff doesn't sound bad actually. But it's still a whole year. This is were steam lacks, they allow it but don't have any tools.

Because Valve won't want to add it to Steam?

I mean why would they add? Steam isn't a game so it doesn't need cross-play. ;)

Devs are free to use anything though. Developers already use GoG Galaxy for example, which support Steam/Gog crossplay.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
its a logistical nightmare, and despite their announced roadmap, they may not succeed as you need cooperation from all the console makers. in theory, very cool, but reality is to wait and see how things turn out.

Absolutely. I'm not super optimistic, but I'm happy to see a plan for adding feature sets actually exists. If they want to make Steam think hard about current practices, they need to at least expand their feature set in a way that addresses the biggest concerns from developers and gamers. This is a start.

I also think this contradicts a lot of the outright Anti-Epic stuff we've been reading up to this point, but they still have tons of time to screw up too.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. I'm not super optimistic, but I'm happy to see a plan for adding feature sets actually exists. If they want to make Steam think hard about current practices, they need to at least expand their feature set in a way that addresses the biggest concerns from developers and gamers. This is a start.

I also think this contradicts a lot of the outright Anti-Epic stuff we've been reading up to this point, but they still have tons of time to screw up too.

i dont think any of this ties into the epic store specifically. you could see games on Steam using the same underlying epic tech.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
i dont think any of this ties into the epic store specifically. you could see games on Steam using the same underlying epic tech.

It doesn't yet, but there's almost no way they aren't thinking about integration of features at this point, especially since they are thinking about catering to specific developers over the next couple of years.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't yet, but there's almost no way they aren't thinking about integration of features at this point, especially since they are thinking about catering to specific developers over the next couple of years.

then theres no way you'll see big publishers use this, they're not going to give up their storefronts to enable cross platform.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
then theres no way you'll see big publishers use this, they're not going to give up their storefronts to enable cross platform.

Do you think developers would have the option to be selective about which features they activate?

I'm guessing it's something indie developers would benefit most from, especially if they have plans to put their games on Switch at some point. I think there's already proof that Switch gamers don't mind waiting and if the exclusivity dissolves after one year, there's a chance this will be implemented on numerous small scales instead of on AAA titles where Sony might get in the way.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
as someone who owns every current system i would love a day when i buy a game and/or DLCs/microtransactions/etc just ONCE and can play the same character/setup anywhere. For example I own black ops 4 on ps4 and PC but pretty much only play on PS4, because its a huge time investment to grind out skins and stuff and I am not double dipping that. A major reason why I don't play destiny 2 anymore either, I'd love to switch to PC from ps4 but no way in hell am I releveling and stuff again.

Division 2, RDR 2, gta 5, Overwatch, etc all love consumers who double dip and bring them double or triple revenue from sales but I think long term they are hurting themselves as people drop out of their "ecosystem" due to no cross save/play.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah and needing to give Epic their customer information is going to be big no-no for many. This is good for indie who have less players, so everyone can be in one pool rather than each platform having it's own.

But there's many problems to solve, before this can happen.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think developers would have the option to be selective about which features they activate?

I'm guessing it's something indie developers would benefit most from, especially if they have plans to put their games on Switch at some point. I think there's already proof that Switch gamers don't mind waiting and if the exclusivity dissolves after one year, there's a chance this will be implemented on numerous small scales instead of on AAA titles where Sony might get in the way.

As a developer, you're free to choose mix-and-match solutions from Epic and others as you wish.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
All around great news. Could be a huge sea change for multiplayer games on top of the progress already made in recent years.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
i wish epic would think of the kids before they pushed these features out

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, aside from their moneyhatting and a few other shitfuckery, I don't dislike Epic.
Their new cut for their asset store creators (and the backpay!) was pretty cool.
UE4 being open source was pretty damn cool.
The amount of support they're giving to Fortnite is quite cool.
This crossplay thingie also being free for Unity users is super cool.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Fortnite's implementation of cross-platform progression AND play is the future of gaming. People need to adapt or perish. This is awesome for Epic to do. Hopefully games like Rocket League and Overwatch could make use of this stuff.
Likewise for Warframe.

I was so stoked to play it on Switch only to learn I couldn't transfer my data back to PC.

no1

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
So maybe they should actually have released it in 2019 it seems like nothing is finished. I'm also calling this overlay getting people banned.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Cross-saves and trophy support is really good, but I presume people will see it eventually only on new games, I doubt developers go back to their console titles to patch them out in order to support those features. Also ok, the features are planned, but I wonder if Sony will agree to that. I mean, people needed to rant months to have Fortnite cross-play, and that's just one game.

Interesting enough Valve actually implemented cross-trophies and cross-saves back in days for Portal 2 on Ps3 and it worked quite well, but never happened after that, so I presume the technology already exist but for some reasons they never pushed it after that single game.

Cross-play already exist too for some titles on Steam like Street Fighter V, but again it's a thing that should be allowed by developers, even in this case the tech is in place already. But good luck on implementing it in fps like Doom or Overwatch, that won't ever happen.

Last edited:

no1

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Honestly, aside from their moneyhatting and a few other shitfuckery, I don't dislike Epic.

Their new cut for their asset store creators (and the backpay!) was pretty cool.

UE4 being open source was pretty damn cool.

The amount of support they're giving to Fortnite is quite cool.

This crossplay thingie also being free for Unity users is super cool.

I hope everyone understands that their new cut will go up regardless of them saying it's permanent this is just something they are no doubt planning to do as there's not a chance they're going to let a store lose them more and more money the bigger it gets. UE4 I mean sure it's open source but it doesn't really change too much? Most developers aren't going to UE4, because it's open source it's more of the feature set it has.

Fortnite support is literally just skins and map changes. I wish there was something more to this lol. PUBG is actually supporting their game with new weapons on a much quicker scale then Fortnite. (I don't actually think EPIC has put in a single new map), and PUBG has 4 maps now to play on which is much better support then Epic is doing for fortnite.

This crossplay thing is literally a matchmaking service that's all it is. There's no servers behind this at all.

They are basically spending the time to rip these features out of fortnite and into the epic store, low effort as fuck from Epic. As much of a nice thing it is to see a roadmap.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I a few days ago this was a battle between Fortnite money and Dota/CSGo warchest and this is clearly the case now. A lot of people will be happy with epice if they deliver at least half these features without any serious or annoying bureaucratic issues by Christmas next year.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Completely agree. Sometimes I want to play in the office on my PC, other times I want to sit on the couch. Fortnite is the only game that really enables me to do this now (XPA has been mostly single player games, plus Gears and Forza).
I primarily play Fortnite on console, but it's liberating being able to open StW as I multitask on PC to claim my daily login when I have no intention of actively playing, or checking to see if my daily and Battle Pass challenges in BR are something undemanding that I can knock out on mobile when I'd otherwise be doing something else of low value on my phone. I just don't keep up with other GaaS games' daily/weekly whatevers as much when I have to be on a particular stationary platform to clear them - if I sit down at my consoles I'll choose a different experience than GaaS busywork if I don't see my friends online w/ interest of squading up.

I know the daily stuff sounds pretty silly when typed out like that (and it's lower priority to me than other aspects of cross-progression), but I appreciate it and I'm sure Epic loves it and other companies would love to get in on that specific kinda dedicated engagement because of cross-progression.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you need an Epic account to play Fortnite on consoles?

Hmm saw some other folks reply yes but I'm sure I just said no when I set the game up for my kid on switch, didn't make an epic account or anything. I think it just told me that if I didn't link in future I could lose anything purchased if I lost my save data or whatever.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I long for the eventual platform agnostic future, where I don't have to bother another friend about what platform they are playing on.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of their store or some of their other tactics but I do support this. Cross platform play should be standard across the board in this day and age.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
No mention of proper review system that's not just Opt-In by devs, forums/guides, controllers, and a refund system that doesn't cap you to 2 refunds per lifetime of the account though.

ucanadam

Alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Sony aint gonna allow this ever. Fortnite was exception to silence crowd and it worked wonderfully. None of other games would have that meme effect at moment

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
"to the full extent each platform allows per-title" seems like it could be a pretty big issue. Sony and/or Microsoft could easily clamp down on this hard on their own platforms and disallow large parts of it.

Still, just having cross-play and cross-saves would be a pretty big deal if they could get those through.