• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): creating a thread with a misleading title, doubling down by adding a troll cover image later
So a nice tidbit that appeared during the Epic vs Apple lawsuit:

unknown.png

Devs need to pay for crossplay once the Revenue Share / Gameplay Share for PSN is below 85%.

I guess we can say Sony is encouraging developers not to have crossplatform play.

Dec 21, 2020
"HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL - ATTORNEY'S EYES ONLY"

I am now an attorney ;]

On a more serious note, that's disappointing.

Dec 23, 2017
I wonder if this is the reason Arc System Works said Crossplay between PSN x Steam for Guilty Gear Strive would be very difficult but not impossible.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
What exactly does Revenue Share / Gameplay share mean? Bit confused here but I'm daft with these things.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised to learn there's some sort of fee just to be allowed cross-play, and would be less surprised if the other console makers have stipulations of their own, though I am curious how this would measure up to the competitors and whether this is part of the reason Sony's been slower on the pickup since these seem like some very tough stipulations.

mtel

Oct 29, 2017
What exactly does Revenue Share / Gameplay share mean? Bit confused here but I'm daft with these things.
So the calculation is designed to measure if Sony's proportion of customers is significantly larger than the share of revenue users are generating on PS.

When crossplay was not yet happening, the argument (though one not voiced) on Sony's side was that users could purchase skins/DLC without them taking their cut if you buy on other platforms. This is designed to mitigate this by devs having to pay Sony if the majority of purchases happen on other platforms but the majority of players are on PS.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Am I reading this right? If a game has cross play and is less popular on PS4 compared to other systems, the devs have to pay Sony a fee?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I guess we know the reason for the hesitancy of publishers/developers to support crossplay on PS now.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Basically Sony wants most of the overall revenue for a multiplayer game to come from Playstation platforms if it has crossplay. If that percentage drops below 85%, Sony want some money.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

It's about how much revenue is made through the playstation platform and how much gameplay is performed on the playstation platform for the title.

The implication is if the ratio of the two is less than 0.85, i.e. there is a disproportionate difference between where the people play and where they spend money, e.g. if for some reason the audience on ps5 for Fortnite or whatever is mostly f2p, but somehow the audience on switch is much more likely to spend money, then the Devs have to pay Sony to make up for the fact that Sony thinks they are missing out.

J-Soul

Nov 11, 2020
"to offset the reduction in revenue" What reduction??? Who is not buying a game because it has crossplay???

Oct 28, 2020
They dragged their heels on crossplay to begin with. Looks like they wanted to make sure they got something out of it before allowing it.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

It's explained in the picture.
Any month where people buy less things for the game on PSN than on other platforms, comparatively, if I understand it correctly.

Edit: "comparatively" in this case means compared to the ratio of gameplay / revenue on other platforms

Deleted member 27647

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Terrible. No wonder so many devs opt out of providing crossplay support. So much for "4 the Players"...

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
The more I hear about the Epic vs Apple lawsuit, the more I think it is a good thing that Epic sued Apple...

The numerator is revenue from PSN divided by all revenue.
The denominator is gameplay hours on PS4 divided by all gameplay hours.

In other words, the developer/publisher would need to pay Sony a royalty if PS4 players' spending on a game is unusually low compared to other platforms or PS4 players' play time is unusually high compare to other forms.

For example:
Let's say the developer gets $90 from PSN and $100 everywhere. The players play 180 hours on PS4 and 200 hours everywhere. The ratio is (90/100)/(180/200)=0.9/0.9=1, so no royalty.

Now let's say the developer gets $50 from PSN and $100 everywhere. The players play 180 hours on PS4 and 200 hours everywhere. The ratio is (50/100)/(180/200)=0.5/0.9=0.56, so the developer must pay a royalty.

Now let's say the developer gets $10 from PSN and $100 everywhere. The players play 20 hours on PS4 and 200 hours everywhere. The ratio is (10/100)/(20/200)=0.1/0.1=1, so no royalty. This is because despite the PS4 platform being only 10% of the revenue, it is also only 10% of the play time.