• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
When a game is sold on Steam, the devs get around 70% of the price paid by the consumer.

When a game is sold on the Epic Game Store, Epic gets around 12% of the the price paid by the consumer.

Can you understand how one of those two scenarios is fractionally less fiscally prudent than the other?

You are correct that Epic's main goal is to 'draw a crowd' to their store, but the parallel to the major drops on Steam sales is not at all adequate.

It really depends on how long your fiscally prudent game is. Epic has a lot of chips they can play on this table, and for a very long time I would guess.

But why isn't the parallel adequate? I was asking a question: do devs eat their 70% discounts on Steam and if yes, why is Epic eating a similar discount somehow worse? It's an honest question. I'm not trying to bait anyone here.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Picked up after-party and observation, which still fell into the sweet spot of discount then ten euros off.

Would probably buy John wick in a heartbeat if it did too. Wonder if Bithell will just revoke the standard discount in Europe as It'd certainly increase sales.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Well, this is probably how I download the Epic Store. At the end of the day, if Epic sells something for less, I'm going to be inclined to go with them.

Probably going to pick up Hades (Even though frankly I want the full version of whatever Super Giant is putting out, not something in early access.)

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
I'd be tempted to buy Gorogoa, but it for some reason is the only game I see that is priced at $14.99 that isn't $10 off for some reason.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
No it's not.

- No cloud saves
- No achievements
- No in-game overlay that gives you quick access to clock, guides, achievements, friends etc
- No forums
- No workshop
- No game get's it's own page in the lbirary to see which friends own the game, achievements, news about the game, game info
- No community features like screenshot uploads, videos, guides
- No market
- No broadcasting
- No stats info
- You don't have any option to categorize your library
- No categorizing of store front page, you have to either search after a certain title or scroll
- No info on store page which VR headset a VR game supports
- In general very little info on game page in store
- No universal VR api
- No universal controller support with controller mapping
- No user reviews
- No family sharing
- No big picture mode

Just because a client has a good sale once in a while doesn't mean the client it self is good.

So when you say "Epic is good" I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.
List wars... Really!?

Edit: That's not me saying "Epic is good", but if all you care about is just plain "I want to play a game" it's sufficient.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
On one hand I really don't want to support the Epic Store, at least not in its current form or with the whole exclusivity mess.
On the other hand I really want to play Walking Dead: Final Season. And it's only $5.

First things first though, does Epic finally have decent controller support? Or rather, can I play The Final Season with my ps4 controller through the Epic Store?

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
Heh, apparently there's too much payment traffic coming from China, Xsolla is having problems.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
No it's not.

- No cloud saves
- No achievements
- No in-game overlay that gives you quick access to clock, guides, achievements, friends etc
- No forums
- No workshop
- No game get's it's own page in the lbirary to see which friends own the game, achievements, news about the game, game info
- No market
- No broadcasting
- No stats info
- No categorizing of store front page, you have to either search after a certain title or scroll
- No universal VR api
- No user reviews
- No family sharing
- No big picture mode

Just because a client has a good sale once in a while doesn't mean the client it self is good.

So when you say "Epic is good" I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.
The number of items on this list that the vast majority of users don't give a single fuck about is staggering.

Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
Not terrible prices for some of those games but nothing worth breaking my never use this store stance.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to say Hades devs are getting on my nerves a bit with their selective price fuckery.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, it's barebones and shit, but it works? Better than some launchers i've used in the past. If you want features then buy shit on Steam probably, but for a cheap price where you just want the game to run then it's perfectly fine. At the same price, for the consumer side, there's no reason to not buy on Steam vs Epic atm.

It's definitely not the anti-christ like some think though.
it definitely is for Australians haha. I just hate the double whammy of regional pricing and USD conversion. Like have you not take enough of my dollarydoos?
i like this idea some people have that being whiners actually brought on sales and that it's not just a thing that stores do, heh
I mean, yeah? They had a pretty big stance of never doing sales because it diminishes the game's value but now we have exactly that. There is a much higher chance of consumer outcry being the cause then simply just because.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Are you seriously implying a sale is moneyhatting consumers?

In this case it may be. This isn't a classic sale, where devs are offering their games at a discounted price. This is Epic paying everyone €10 for buying a game in their store. This would be great if it wasn't for Epic pushing store exclusivity deals even harder.

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
First things first though, does Epic finally have decent controller support? Or rather, can I play The Final Season with my ps4 controller through the Epic Store?
I think it depends on the game. For example, Hades, fully supports DS4 (even buttons icons). Doesn't have TWD so can't say about it.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This is actually a decent sale.
Look I know Epic moneyhats are shit but let people do what they want with their money, some of you are way too hostile.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
No it's not.

- No cloud saves
- No achievements
- No forums
- No workshop
- No market
- No broadcasting
- No stats info
- No universal VR api
- No user reviews
- No family sharing
- No big picture mode

It's good for me. I never use 99% of Steam's features. I just buy games and play them.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's good for me. I never use 99% of Steam's features. I just buy games and play them.

But when you buy games and play them, you still use a lot of it's features.

Cloud saves, achievements if the game supports it, controller API if you are using a controller, playtime tracking and so on.

I mean, if you don't care about them, godo for you, but a ton of people do care about them and it's one of the reasons they don't like the client.

At todays Epic Store status , GFWL was better than the Epic Store.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
This is all I needed to buy stuff from EGS. Supporting Canadian currency and having a wishlist, shopping cart, and a more organizable/sortable store is pretty much all that's left for them to do to get me to frequently check them out rather than wait for threads like this to pop up. Decent start though.

I picked up:
Shakedown Hawaii
Observation
John Wick Hex

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice sale. Is oxygen not included good? I'm a fan of what the epic store is doing but these days there aren't many games i'd rather play on PC, so I'm not seeing a lot I want on this sale.

lol @ ya'll saying epic was forced into this move or is gonna run out of money. They didn't raise a 1.25 billion dollar investment round after making all their fortnite money so they could sit around and wait for customers.

Are you seriously implying a sale is moneyhatting consumers?

In a world where making a good offer to somebody you're buying a product from for your store is "moneyhatting", why wouldn't any other regular business practices be?

Cloud saves, achievements if the game supports it, controller API if you are using a controller, playtime tracking and so on.

Cloud sales, universal controller API, and, if you use it, Big Picture are clearly killer steam features, and epic is sorely lacking all three. The other stuff you mentioned is downright goofy tho, mostly features invented to create customer lock in rather than providing actual utility.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
No it's not.

- No cloud saves
- No achievements
- No forums
- No workshop
- No market
- No broadcasting
- No stats info
- No universal VR api
- No user reviews
- No family sharing
- No big picture mode

Price, to me, is more important than all those combined and then some.
So Epic, right now, is good to me.