• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
Seems to me that they're trying to address common anti-EGS talking points one-by-one. We'll see if it sticks... but at least they're all beneficial to consumers.

Phoenix Point discount is challenging my moral fortitude 😓
I imagine people are going to be selling their backer keys for pretty cheap when the game is actually released. They are also getting steam keys when the exclusivity ends.
$10 or bust.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good time to buy Satisfactory! It's very good and just added a bunch of stuff in an update.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
THE IRONY IS STRONG WITH THIS ONE

How? I'm not saying these features are popular because people I know also like them. Its not hard to see how popular features like Steam Forums, Achievements, Guides, Trading Cards, Workshop and the Marketplace are. The enthusiast communities for things like Achievements and Trading Cards are big enough alone.

Also its almost like people who are involved with communities behind these features have a better idea of how popular said features are than people who don't care about them.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Sacrificing something that is easily replaced and that you've loudly and repeatedly claimed is of no value for months now isn't a respectable principled stance, it's the emptiest form of slacktivist posturing I can imagine.

Absolutely false. The poster that deletes his account was very much looking forward to a number of games that ended up as EGS exclusives. He stuck to his guns and didn't buy any of them. He sacrifices much more than a throwaway account and that is absolutely worthy of respect. You made a judgement on his stance without even trying to learn more about it, just for what you thought was an easy 'gotcha' moment.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
That was the original sales plan, but they've seemingly just turned that into a $10 store wide offer.

And if anyone is creating an account for their first time for this sale, I would highly recommend getting 2FA set up (e.g. use something like Google Authenticator). If not, you might regret it after getting your 50th email stating someone is trying to login to your account suspiciously.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Because Epic is actually bribing pc gamers into accepting their moneyhats now. Despite people's outrage, Epic just keeps buying exclusivity, and gives €10 to everyone to forget about this and buy these moneyhatted games from their store anyway. It's disgusting really.

I guess they also bribed me for purchasing UE4 when they gave me a 30 dollar credit. Will take all the bribes please.

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The store must be getting absolutely hammered, i'm getting 404 errors pretty consistently.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
Epic PR person 1: "pc gamers are pissed at us for bribing developers"
Epic PR person 2: "let's bribe pc gamers as well"

Well done Epic. Here's my response:

lg9EN9Y.png
bye

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
And if anyone is creating an account for their first time for this sale, I would highly recommend getting 2FA set up (e.g. use something like Google Authenticator). If not, you might regret it after getting your 50th email stating someone is trying to login to your account suspiciously.

^Agreed. I don't even use my EGS account and someone got the password for it, and 2FA is the only thing that saved my account from being lost. Not ready to spend any money there yet.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'd be really nice if you all could lay off of GeForce, now that they've taken a self requested ban to clear their head. Been there, done that, at some point the dogpile is truly excessive.

Oct 28, 2017
I really want to buy The Walking Dead: A New Frontier, but it's $10 by default in my region (as are the rest of the other TWD games), so no discount for me. Welp. I think they should've thought this $10 off/14.99 SRP discount scheme more thoroughly....

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
The store must be getting absolutely hammered, i'm getting 404 errors pretty consistently.
Same, also people are claiming that prices are being tweaked at every moment (in a good way, some games are using the whole 10 bucks discount on 15 bucks games to get their stuff even cheaper. Since Epic Games is taking the discount costs, I bet they don't mind at all, lol).

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't believe some of these deals. Like, Hades for seven bucks? Glad I waited.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to me that they're trying to address common anti-EGS talking points one-by-one. We'll see if it sticks... but at least they're all beneficial to consumers.

Phoenix Point discount is challenging my moral fortitude 😓
I think the egs version of Phoenix Point is DRM free so you only need egs for updates. Still no addressing the mod situation though.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
They could be giving every game away for free, I'm still not going to support Epic Game's bullshit.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Guys, I am super tempted by this, what do?

For context, I am russian. EGS already has regional pricing for russia. But they didn't adjust the discount. Discount is still adds up to about 10 dollars. Which means that we get a comparatively higher discount.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Just let me buy Journey!!!

This is great though, they'll finally get some money out of me for something.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Thanks. Your theory is valid for those games which have revenue guarantees and have not met those guarantees, and we have no way of knowing how much of that 'already paid the devs for' revenue is relative to the amount of discounts Epic will be eating in this sale. Even if it applies to most of the games in the store, it's a plus for everyone: cheaper prices for consumers, more customers and more exposure for the developer at no revenue cost.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
This is actually good competition. I want to see if the next Steam major sale will have incentives too.

It's nice to see at the end of the day giving huge discounts on things is still the most effective way of getting people into your store.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just laughing at the empty deleted account. It would be better if you showed any investment, like deleting any kind of account with rare stuff or something worth a lot. Burning valuable baseball cards, something a company would hate to see someone waste? I don't know, seeing someone delete an account full of bought goods would be hard to stick it to a company since you already bought the stuff. I don't see how deleting an account could work.

The empty account shows that this user didn't buy any epic exclusives that he was looking forward to and he also didn't redeem any of the free games that Epic has been offering. He refused to get free stuff based on principle. That is remarkable conviction.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of the first few Steam sales when I had nothing and wanted to buy a ton of things.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this a legitimately great sale with amazing prices. But no amount of discounts will get me to buy in to their eco system whilst the store itself remains a fucking shambles.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

For context, I am russian. EGS already has regional pricing for russia. But they didn't adjust the discount. Discount is still adds up to about 10 dollars. Which means that we get a comparatively higher discount.
Buy every AAA game while it's cheap.

Drain Epic dry.

If they were offering AAA games for 15 CAD, I'd buy all of them, since Epic's compensating the devs for it.

Unfortunately, their discounts here are garbage, so there's little point in me doing that.

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be really nice if you all could lay off of GeForce, now that they've taken a self requested ban to clear their head. Been there, done that, at some point the dogpile is truly excessive.

This is pretty rich after how PC Era in general treats anyone who says they don't mind the Epic Store - see above posts where somebody said they bought 6 things on the Epic Store and somebody else quoted it with "Thanks for ruining PC gaming".

Deleted member 40853

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Oh sweet, that Hades discount is great. I've been wanting to try that game.

Oh wait, there is no EGS client on Linux. There is not even a Linux version of Hades... even though all of Supergiant's other games have one. That's disappointing!

No problem, I can just use Steam Proton since it's amazing...oh wait, no I can't.

I've never really had any bones to pick with EGS until now. Not much to say other than this sucks and has essentially forced Supergiant to become a windows exclusive developer. Thanks Valve for at least caring about Linux gamers.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Between this, Fanatical's sale, and GMG's sale, I am now poor

STOP BUYING GAMES YOU HAVE PRACTICE TO GO TO.

The imitation Stanley cup you bring to birthday parties won't lift itself.

This is pretty rich after how PC Era in general treats anyone who says they don't mind the Epic Store - see above posts where somebody said they bought 6 things on the Epic Store and somebody else quoted it with "Thanks for ruining PC gaming".

I used to be up in arms about the EGS and the PC gaming Era but frankly PCgamingERA got wiped out a while back and I've given up on the EGS crusade, its isn't worth it. Also, continuing to pile on someone and justify that by pointing out that someone else's behavior, and then pointing out that they're part of the same era community.... Ok.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Driving thread derailment
That's what I think about the EGS and their mega sale.
Yes, it is a free account, with a couple of free games that I added before the Metro Exodus fiasco started.
But that's what they want, people making accounts and getting used to their store.
I'm willing to use the EGS once they stop taking games hostage.

egsaccountdelete0mkay.jpg

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018

Epic seems happy to subsidize your purchase, so take advantage all you want and get all the games you want.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Got World War Z for $6 and then convinced my brother to get it as well so we can play coop.
I may buy more stuff later.
Their servers must be hammered because I got error 404 several times when trying to get to the game page.