• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Hasn't Hades been $19.99 since launch? Now all of a sudden they are raising the base price to $24.99 during an ongoing sale, so that Epic's $10 discount makes it look 25% cheaper than the original price. That's not a good look at all. Not to mention the fact these prices were implied to be valid for weeks.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
The Hades situation is that they wanted to give a 25% discount for the sale but then they changed the price a bit to get the 10€ cut, making the price WAY LOWER. They realized the situation, removed the discount, raised the price so that they get a 25% discount of the original price with the 10€ cut.

Peak laughs.

Well, they could give the 25% discount on the original game price before the sale, that was 10.99! Why the hell they raised the price and are giving no discount at all is bullshit. Now if they give the 25% over the new price of 13.99 it won't be any discount at all!!!!

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Hasn't Hades been $19.99 since launch? Now all of a sudden they are raising the base price to $24.99 during an ongoing sale, so that Epic's $10 discount makes it look 25% cheaper than the original price. That's not a good look at all. Not to mention the fact these prices were implied to be valid for weeks.
It would appear that way.

Dunno about other countries, but it would breach UK sale of goods laws.

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you buy off the Russian store? I tried using a Chrome VPN Extension and can see the prices but when i log in it just goes to the US store?

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If I understand correctly Epic is paying the devs the $10 from the discount. If that is the case the Supergiant is taking advantage of them with this since that means users are only paying a little less then the usual price but they are still getting more money then normal lol.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
From a dev on Supergiants discord

"Hey, we wanted to let you know Hades is currently on sale for $14.99 after discounts on the Epic Games store. Folks can pick it up at www.PlayHades.com. We think there's never been a better time to experience our rogue-like dungeon crawler!

The game's retail price is now $24.99, up from $19.99 at launch, based on continued improvements and additions we've made so far in Early Access, including: an entire new biome, 7 new fully voiced characters including 4 new bosses, hundreds of new fully voiced narrative events, 10 new enemy types, a new weapon, and dozens of new powers and abilities.

All told, we think this new price point reflects the game's current value in Early Access. As we expect to continue in Early Access until sometime next year, it's possible we adjust the price again by the time Early Access is complete. We'll strive to provide plenty of advance notice if that happens. Thank you for your support of this game! "

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Fuck it. Im gonna bite the bullet and just get Borderlands 3. Its like $30CAD off the russian store and if I have to play alone then whatever ill play alone lol

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
From a dev on their discord

"Hey, we wanted to let you know Hades is currently on sale for $14.99 after discounts on the Epic Games store. Folks can pick it up at www.PlayHades.com. We think there's never been a better time to experience our rogue-like dungeon crawler!

The game's retail price is now $24.99, up from $19.99 at launch, based on continued improvements and additions we've made so far in Early Access, including: an entire new biome, 7 new fully voiced characters including 4 new bosses, hundreds of new fully voiced narrative events, 10 new enemy types, a new weapon, and dozens of new powers and abilities.

All told, we think this new price point reflects the game's current value in Early Access. As we expect to continue in Early Access until sometime next year, it's possible we adjust the price again by the time Early Access is complete. We'll strive to provide plenty of advance notice if that happens. Thank you for your support of this game! "
Could you take a screenshot of that?

rare

Oct 25, 2017

they raised the fucking price midsale
fuck that shit

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

yeah....
even if the game warranted a higher price... you don't do it unannounced, in the middle of a sale, where you are getting the full cut of the sale thanks to how epic is running it.

so damn shady.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Haha got Hades earlier before Supergiant called it quit like Paradox. It seems Epic didn't explain this sale very well to developers.

Supergiant Games dev responds in thread

kid_zomb

Creative Director, Supergiant Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Mill Valley, CA
I guess that's why my Hades purchase wouldn't go through despite multiple attempts.

Hey, I'm one of the developers of Hades. I wanted to personally apologize for the confusion around the sale pricing -- the lower sale price earlier today was in error. To folks who picked up the game at a reduced price, we're grateful for their support, and we hope they enjoy the game.

To everyone else, the corrected sale price is a 25% discount off of the previous $19.99 retail price (regional pricing varies though should be equivalent). The game's retail price is now $24.99, which we think reflects the game's current value in Early Access based on all the additions and improvements we've made since launch.

I lurk on this forum but haven't posted much, though will keep an eye on this thread if there's anything else I can do at the moment. Really appreciate your understanding here.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017

Be that as it may, it's really not a good look doing it mid sale.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017

Woooowww shady and dirty as fuck.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Could you take a screenshot of that?
here ya go
97adbf1a3f.png

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the most entertaining sale in a long time -- excitement, betrayals, twists!

finaljedi

Jul 15, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Hey, I'm one of the developers of Hades. I wanted to personally apologize for the confusion around the sale pricing -- the lower sale price earlier today was in error. To folks who picked up the game at a reduced price, we're grateful for their support, and we hope they enjoy the game.

To everyone else, the corrected sale price is a 25% discount off of the previous $19.99 retail price (regional pricing varies though should be equivalent). The game's retail price is now $24.99, which we think reflects the game's current value in Early Access based on all the additions and improvements we've made since launch.

I lurk on this forum but haven't posted much, though will keep an eye on this thread if there's anything else I can do at the moment. Really appreciate your understanding here.

The optics of effectively doubling the price of your game during a sale is pretty bad, not to mention the fact that being Epic exclusive to begin with doesn't help.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

You don't think it's in pretty bad taste to raise your retail price during a sale?

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
What a shitshow of a sale. Epic Games fucking over devs and now fucking over consumers. Such a laffable state this store is.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
It would appear that way.

Dunno about other countries, but it would breach UK sale of goods laws.
There's definitely an issue with EU laws.

It was 15$ before the sale...
Weird that they didn't announce on their twitter that they're now out of early access. Unless they're lowering the base price again afterwards? If they do so, that'll show they just wanted more money, which is really shady from them.

Also looks like they're using the same tweet reply for multiple people now.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

If this is correct, that is against at least UK laws, and probably some other countries.

You can't increase the base price and concurrently run a discount. It's obviously misleading/manipulative.

You should wait until after the sale to increase the list price.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Would have gotten Hades but they raised the price and I didnt wanna spend that much + its pretty fuckin shady to raise price mid sale.

In the end I came away with Control and Borderlands 3 for $30. I have no regrets, that shit saved me so much time. Now I just need to wait for August and September.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Hi, weird question but were you contacted by Galy when he initially changed the price in Europe to make it so that it got into the 15€ range to qualify for the discount?

Otherwise, thanks for your honesty (although I got the game during the discounted time in europe at 6€).

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

Where did you announce the base price rise exactly? It wasn't with the last update, nor with the sale announcement...

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017

I love all your games, Transistor specifically has a special place in my heart. But raising the price of a game mid-sale is one of the most anti-consumer things I have seen in a while, and will certainly make me reevaluate my SuperGiant purchase. I cannot in good conscience support such practices.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, weird question but were you contacted by Galy when he initially changed the price in Europe to make it so that it got into the 15€ range to qualify for the discount?

Otherwise, thanks for your honesty (although I got the game during the discounted time in europe at 6€).

Well we heard Galy changes stuff manually for currency adjustment and such. But surely he didn't pull the trigger prematurely with Hades.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

A price raise in the middle of a sale???? What the fuck are you guys thinking??? Do you expect that people be just fine with that kind of practice???

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Bad communication all around, raising the price during a sale is weak

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO

So you guys raised the price in the early hours of a sale to reflect the game's current value?

Well, okay then.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
'the fuck is up with this sale
prices keep going up and down
They probably didn't explain the sale very well to devs so some of them are pulling out because they feel their games are losing value because of it. They were removing 10$ from the price in all regions no matter what and depending on the regions you had 5$-10$ games that should not have been this low priced.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Yay, Hades changing prices benefited me. Before, it was $14.99 base price, with a 25% discount ($11.25) so the $10 off from Epic didn't apply. Now it's the same base price with no discount but $10 off so I could buy it for $5. I'm from Peru, BTW.