• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So we're mad because they changed their mind?
Do you just act obtuse for the sake of being obtuse and having a back and forth "gotcha" point? It's clear those who've pointed out their previous stance are doing so because it's a long list of continue backpedalling on very anti-consuner stances. It is good they are doing this and other changes but realistically it shouldn't be a reaction to a bad thing in the first place. That people's legitimate opinions are being labelled as complaints and when brought up get the typical "yeah but why you mad though complainer?" is just trolling for the sake of trolling.

The point is Epic previously said sales undermine the product they are selling because it coaches people into waiting for sales or expecting games to be discounted as soon as they go live. Now there's a fair chance of that happening or there's just as much of it not. At the end of the day it's good for the consumer, bad for the dev because Epic won't front discounts forever because they couldn't.
I was obviously replying to people how were discussing the sale and nothing else, I don't get your point.
But they weren't which is why I quoted you? They stated that the backpedalling was worth discussing on top of other issues and you claim that it's just goal post moving for the sake of complaining. It isn't, it's just a list of issues and when one is resolved it is good but opinions on why it isn't great can still continue.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So do people who pre-ordered Borderlands 3 at $60 get their $10 back if they request it? Cuz it's kinda BS if they don't.

They don't have to request it, it's automatic.

Every player who pre-purchased an unreleased game in the Epic Games store prior to May 16th, 2019 for $14.99 and above will receive a $10 refund! You will receive your $10 refund automatically to the payment method you used in the next 7-12 days.

JediEagle

Oct 17, 2018
Slovenia
In the case of John Wick Hex, the list price in the UK is £15.99. The discounted price is £4.39. Total discount is £11.60, or 72.5%. £10 of that discount is subsidised by Epic, which is 62.5% (with the other 10% presumably coming out of the publisher/developer cut).

I've never seen anything like that on a healthy/successful platform.
lol, in Slovenia John Wick is discounted to 14.39 EUR, so just outside of range to be qualified for extra 10 eur discount. Same with Hades

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Color me surprised (not) if this turns out to be mostly great sales for America and fuck all for the rest... just like the rest of Epic's mindset.

Actually, it's the other way around. Asia, , Eastern Europe and Latin America are getting amazing prices, while EU, UK and the dollar countries are getting very mediocre discounts.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
If they ordered in the past two weeks, that is reportedly true.

not sure of the people who did before then (I don't specifically know when it popped up on Epic's store)
Yes they actually do if they preordered up to 2 weeks ago, everybody who ordered any game will apparently

OK, that's good. Thanks for the info.

They don't have to request it, it's automatic.
Even better.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Color me surprised (not) if this turns out to be mostly great sales for America and fuck all for the rest... just like the rest of Epic's mindset.
It's not. It's amazing for any country that's basically not we'll to do. U.S, U.K, AUS etc. There's very few games of note. Other countries are getting like 70% off titles.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Got it. So in that case, major drops eaten by devs haven't been all bad on the Steam platform. Why would major drops eaten entirely by Epic be bad? If it draws a crowd in the long run, it's good for me, it's good for you, and it's good for the people making the games.

I guess I would just need more analysis to understand why price drops of a substantial size, for pre-order or already available games, would be bad in the long run for devs. Gamers that are going to wait for sales will wait for sales, and those who want to play when they find out something is good are more likely to pay full or near-full price anyway, right?

There can be a number of theoretical arguments as to why this sale is "bad" for developers or consumers, but none of them are being made in good faith. Lack of sales was a major sticking point for a lot of people as to why they disliked the Epic Store, and this sale offering incredible discounts means that some people will latch on to any possible reason to continue hating on the store.

Meanwhile, I'm just over here buying games for cheap and crossing a reason off the list.

OjgRmkW.png

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
But they weren't which is why I quoted you? They stated that the backpedalling was worth discussing on top of other issues and you claim that it's just goal post moving for the sake of complaining. It isn't, it's just a list of issues and when one is resolved it is good but opinions on why it isn't great can still continue.
Please show me where? You're making stuff up buddy.

Nov 8, 2017
Are you guys really gonna pull that shit on them saying no sales

Because I distinctly remember people making that a very important point/reason for them to not buy games off of here

When someone backtracks on a very dumb position it's customary to rub their nose in it.

Everyone loves epic now

It's extremely funny to see how on board everyone is with this mega sale after all those threads about how there was "no choice" and "no other option" than snapping up exclusive deals to establish their store as a meaningful entity. Imagine if they'd done this as their initial push instead of that. There would be no need for outrage, just good PR and good moves.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
We have to buy as many games as we can to make them bankrupt.
*galaxybrain.jpg*

Haha.

But as I am from Europe, the discounts aren't that great and the games I'm interested in got a weird 20% discount to fall under the 14,99 minimum for the 10 € discount.

I rather save the money than do something that stupid.

Last edited:

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I don't get it what changed with them saying they wouldn't do sales? Are games underperforming?

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Got it. So in that case, major drops eaten by devs haven't been all bad on the Steam platform. Why would major drops eaten entirely by Epic be bad? If it draws a crowd in the long run, it's good for me, it's good for you, and it's good for the people making the games.
When a game is sold on Steam, the devs get around 70% of the price paid by the consumer.

When a game is sold on the Epic Game Store, Epic gets around 12% of the the price paid by the consumer.

Can you understand how one of those two scenarios is fractionally less fiscally prudent than the other?

You are correct that Epic's main goal is to 'draw a crowd' to their store, but the parallel to the major drops on Steam sales is not at all adequate.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Those sales are ridiculously bad in Europe (at least where the price is in Euro).
Seriously, worse than Nintendo's titles when they go on sale on Switch.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
There can be a number of theoretical arguments as to why this sale is "bad" for developers or consumers, but none of them are being made in good faith. Lack of sales was a major sticking point for a lot of people as to why they disliked the Epic Store, and this sale offering incredible discounts means that some people will latch on to any possible reason to continue hating on the store.

Meanwhile, I'm just over here buying games for cheap and crossing a reason off the list.

OjgRmkW.png
Just a couple of these threads ago the argument was that Valve doing good things for consumers was just to increase profits and therefor bad. Why is it different now?

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
I just asked Galyonkin about the Hades (and other games) price situation in Europe and he said he's looking into it

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that the general audience that dislikes Epic is against this specific sale.
You can still dislike the tactic that Epic keeps throwing money at every problem until they disappear but this sale in particular is pro-consumer.

Also this to some degree:

Are you seriously implying a sale is moneyhatting consumers?

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Driving thread derailment over a series of posts

No it's not.

- No cloud saves
- No achievements
- No in-game overlay that gives you quick access to clock, guides, achievements, friends etc
- No forums
- No workshop
- No game get's it's own page in the lbirary to see which friends own the game, achievements, news about the game, game info
- No community features like screenshot uploads, videos, guides
- No market
- No broadcasting
- No stats info
- You don't have any option to categorize your library
- No categorizing of store front page, you have to either search after a certain title or scroll
- No info on store page which VR headset a VR game supports
- In general very little info on game page in store
- No universal VR api
- No universal controller support with controller mapping
- No user reviews
- No family sharing
- No big picture mode

Just because a client has a good sale once in a while doesn't mean the client it self is good.

So when you say "Epic is good" I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

Yu Kigono

Oct 25, 2017
These are some insane deals. But I refuse to give epic a single penny of my money, so I guess I'll miss out

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a sale where the dev is getting the max price - whatever sale discount there is, with Epic literally paying the 10$ that is the bulk of most of these discounts

Devs get their max cut
Consumers get their sale price they wanted

How is this bad?

Buy it yourself dork
Devs must be in heaven at EGS, people hate it but if these small devs can actually make profit over there, pretty good

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Haha.

But as I am from Europe, the discounts aren't that great and the games I'm interested in got a weird 20% discount to fall under the 14,99 minimum for the 10 € discount.

I rather save the money than something that stupid.
Yeah, those EU discounts are some bullshit in many cases. John Wick is 8$ in the us, less thab 5£ in the UK, and over 14€ in € countries. Maybe an oversight, but it seems they didn't really care

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

OjgRmkW.png

I don't see how this is bad for either developers or customers.

The big problem so far has been that the moves Epic's made with their store have favored publishers far more than customers. Now that they're finally doing something good for customers, the question becomes, "will they keep it up?"

Oct 27, 2017
In the case of John Wick Hex, the list price in the UK is £15.99. The discounted price is £4.39. Total discount is £11.60, or 72.5%. £10 of that discount is subsidised by Epic, which is 62.5% (with the other 10% presumably coming out of the publisher/developer cut).

I've never seen anything like that on a healthy/successful platform.

Oh I see. I thought you were talking about the Control and Borderlands 3 discounts that people were mentioning.

It's interesting how skewed the discount is. Most places doing a similar thing would have a sliding scale of discounts (or a straight percentage), but I guess they wanted to keep it simple, and are happy to take a loss at the lower end. Which makes sense, as Epic are actually giving away (some pretty recent and good) games for free every two weeks, so they're not afraid of losing money to gain market share.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
At this point, it's obvious that Epic is just losing huge amounts of money with their store but that's probably nothing compared to the $$$ gained from Fortnite.

Doing huge sales like this will make people atleast purchase games on Epic Store, even if only in a moment where Epic is clearly losing money, and people will actually have a motive to browse their EGS collection. But if people really do care about the superior services on Steam, this effort will be meaningless.

I wonder what a big investor like Tencent thinks about moves like this.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
This is the first good thing they did after doing all those dick moves.
This is the way to compete and not exclusivity.

Still not buying from them though, i am not convinced they ll stop being a-holes and i do not want to support a-holes.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
By reading this thread seems that you've never seen a game discounted in this world. Aside some region specific price (where the base price is already low because of the poor economy of said nations) there isn't anything ground breaking .
It anything this event is showing how fucked up the store is right now