• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FwEovlJ.png

Seems like we got screwed out of the Hades discount

ieLIJqU.png

sigh

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
How in hell is a sale that's entirely out of the store's pocket negative for developers, long term or otherwise? As a developer myself, it's obviously in my best interest to know, so I would dearly appreciate an explanation.

I'm not saying it is, THAT is what Epic has been saying. That heavy discounts train customers to wait out purchases until games are heavily discounted on sale, or to expect games to be released with a discount. That discounts devalue games long term. You can't tell me you don't ever see people be like "Looks good, but I'll wait for a 70% discount before I buy." That's because it's expected that these games will eventually be discounted that low. Might be 2-3 years down the line, but the expectation is there. If games never get discounted beyond a certain point, or it takes several months or even years for those discounts to hit, then customers either have to buy it at a higher price or go without.

Epic discounting these games right now is going back on their word about this. I have no problem with discounts, personally. And if I want to support a developer, I'll buy the game full price. But Sweeny flip/flops on his position on things worse than a floundering fish.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely in for Hades, Afterparty, and the last two seasons of TWD. Excellent deals all around and will definitely shop here more if we can get more big sales.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I know Ashen and Hades will come to switch eventually, so I was holding on those games... Now come tomorrow, I dont know, damn...

Oh, boy... Metro... my wallet RIP.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
User Banned (3 Days): Driving thread derailment
Literally not even if you paid me. Fuck off Epic, you have been nothing but a detriment to PC gaming since your return.

I can only hope they burn a shitton of money by giving it away for free like this and those customers do not turn into recurring ones. Just people waiting for another handout.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
How in hell is a sale that's entirely out of the store's pocket negative for developers, long term or otherwise? As a developer myself, it's obviously in my best interest to know, so I would dearly appreciate an explanation.
well epic would say, and did say, that by selling a product for cheap you are devaluing it and making the overall market a race to the bottom like an app store. where the discount comes from doesn't really matter in that instance. they said they wouldn't be doing that, which is why they're getting a lot of flak for it in this thread

i would say that offering lower prices by leveraging their value alone (instead of other forces) is fairly anti competitive in a larger scope. a large seller using their own money to discount things at a loss can easily put smaller guys out of business, leading to more consolidation and leading to less competition. like valve will be fine with this tactic but gog and itch.io barely keep the lights on as is, how are they supposed to compete with ten dollars off the top? it's not illegal or anything generally, but loss leaders are not particularly healthy for the market

none of these are good for developers or consumers in the long term

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only valid criticism of EGS was that their exclusivity agreements meant consumers lacked choice when it came to using a different launcher or reseller. Having a sale doesn't negate that criticism at all.

I won't go into my opinions of those matters.

I just noticed that I don't see The Division 2 anywhere in the client version of EGS for some reason (I can find it on the web-store). I checked uPlay and the discount there is steeper at 20% anyway.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I just deleted my account.

Lol nope, I just made an account and bought Shadow Complex :P

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed that I don't see The Division 2 anywhere in the client version of EGS for some reason (I can find it on the web-store). I checked uPlay and the discount there is steeper at 20% anyway.

The uPlay integration was broken and they took the Ubisoft games out of the store while they fix them.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Its not really. GeForce posted on MC the image of him deleting his account like 30 minutes before the sale even started. Unfortunate timing mostly.

Epic added a option to delete your account without having to email them and he took advantage of it. Thats all it was really and everyone dogpilled him. Definitely not a good look.

So he was lying when he said in this thread that he deleted his account as a response to Epic "bribing" gamers? What an hypocrite. THAT's not a good look.

Edit: sorry I was reading page 19 when I send this reply. I'll stop.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Well shit...

$36 account balance that i got for free for using student Unreal Engine license few years ago are finally spent...

Metro Exodus + Control + Bloodlines 2 + Phoenix Point + Flower for free. Not bad 😂😎

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
This sale being a good thing doesn't negate everything Epic has done so far. This sale is indeed a welcome move towards offering more to the customers.

This is the only issue I take with people posting about deleting their accounts because of this.

Taking a stand due to store exclusives and holding the line until that changes, even in the face of a sale, that's just fine, and even laudable if it's something you believe in. Publicly stamping your feet and saying, "This is the straw that breaks the camel's back! Deleted!" when they've in fact made a welcome move for consumers doesn't make any sense to me.

For me, a lack of consumer value was what was holding me back from buying anything on the store. A sale offers a clear benefit, so I'm willing to play ball.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Epic start doing sales is a step in the right direction, if they can start adding features to the damn store than it will start making their product alot more palatable.

I hope they do frequent sales and I really hope they start allowing 3rd party key resellers
Epic doing deals is a positive sign that they've finally realised that customers aren't just cattle. I think it's a good look compared to buying up exclusives, but I don't expect these sales to be often (or to even happen to such an extent again).

But maybe they will realise that they need to differentiate themselves in a way that isn't just taking games from Steam and GOG. EA realised it with Origin Access, and I think Game Pass on PC will be very successful for Microsoft, because it adds good value to the platforms (PC and Windows). GOG, of course, has a lot of goodwill among its customers because of its DRM-free stance and the fact that when they do sign an exclusive (usually old games), they put a lot of work into making sure the damn thing actually works on modern PCs. Again, value. While Steam's value is clearly Valve expanding accessibility wherever they see people struggling to get into PC gaming. Robust controller support, big picture, VR, regional pricing, in-home streaming and so on are all ways that Valve has taken PC gaming off of the desk and away from the keyboard and mouse, and brought it to people whose only other impression of PC gaming was constant driver updates and editing .ini files to make their games work.

What, currently, is the value Epic is offering? Not much, and this sale really is the first bit of value we've seen from them. But key resellers have been doing this thing for ages, and they barely scrape by on razor thin margins without having to run an entire content delivery network with client-side features. One day EGS will need to earn its keep, and unless they go for the really barebones client combined with good deals and a better cut for developers, how do they make money from this?

I hope they realise what value they want to add to the PC platform, both for developers and customers, soon.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking about the cool sales steam used to have and how much people used to love them. I figured someone could easily come and steal that hype. Epic really pulling out all the stops to get established here.

By amassing a bunch of strong exclusives, it's only made their sale that much more exciting. I hate the fact that they've done it, but I can't say I'm not interested in checking out a few of the games that are heavily discounted. It really hurt Steam imo, because the Epic stuff now looks more fresh and exciting, while a lot of the Steam stuff is the same old thing that's been on sale a hundred times already.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
EGS is still pretty shitty in many ways (policies, lack of features, PR, etc), but I don't see why you'd be mad over good sales (not all of them are good depending on your region, but some really are).
The "bribe" stuff is ridiculous, they're not giving you money, nor forcing you to buy games on their store. Metro's sale isn't that impressive in the EU for example, I'll wait for the Steam GOTY version next year. Hades and John Wick though, can't really see a reason to avoid it (outside of my backlog obviously).

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I guess the question for me is if the discounts are deep enough to offset the weaknesses of EGS. For Hades and Observation I think it might be. It's not for Metro.

Heavily discounting pre-orders strikes me as pretty cynical though.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
This also applies to the division 2?
Division 2 is not for sale right now on EGS. (At least in the U.S.)

Apparently you can get the Division sale page if you google it, another member was able to purchase Anno 1800 this way. And the $10 discount does indeed work, just be warned that uPlay integration currently isn't working (reason it currently isn't listed), so you might not be able to play the game right now.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Oh damn could get Control for $40, hm. Otherwise, there is Close to the Sun that will come up for $10 (if it good that is).

Aren't they giving out $10 for enabling 2FA too?

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, a lot of good games at €5-10, Will pick some of them up. Wish that Metro was lower, will wait for that one.
The bigger AAA games the sale price isn't as good because you could usually get a better deal on green man gaming but this sale is golden for 20 dollar indie games.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
You can get the Division sale page if you google it. And the $10 discount does indeed work, just be warned that uPlay integration currently isn't working (reason it currently isn't listed), so you might not be able to play the game right now.
You can play the game, it is just that it downloads the uPlay version and you dont even need to have EGS on, so you might as well get the game in uPlay (where there is a 20% discount sale right now so you will probably get it for cheaper there in the more expensive regions)

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I think about the EGS and their mega sale.
Yes, it is a free account, with a couple of free games that I added before the Metro Exodus fiasco started.
But that's what they want, people making accounts and getting used to their store.
I'm willing to use the EGS once they stop taking games hostage.

egsaccountdelete0mkay.jpg
Can you not do this? All you're doing is embodying the whiny fanboy and burying actual criticisms against Epic.

There is no reason, no reason at all, to complain about sales.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. I'll bite on Hades.

Insane generosity on Epics part to just eat the extra $10 discount. Like DUH! They want to get people to spend some money on the store and not just log in to get the free shit but it's a heck of a way to so it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Damn good sale.
I'm looking at conflicting reports how much Hades is though. Once I'm home I'll check it out. If it's under $10 I'm totally getting it.