• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
That's reasonable, as long as you can accept that others may have more issues with Epic's policies than the lack of value.

Of course. I have no qualms with that. I certainly also think they have a lot of room to grow and improve, and genuinely hope they focus on moves like this rather than exclusivity; there's no consumer benefit in the latter.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
By amassing a bunch of strong exclusives, it's only made their sale that much more exciting. I hate the fact that they've done it, but I can't say I'm not interested in checking out a few of the games that are heavily discounted. It really hurt Steam imo, because the Epic stuff now looks more fresh and exciting, while a lot of the Steam stuff is the same old thing that's been on sale a hundred times already.
Huh? Dozens of games release on Steam every week (granted only a handful are good). Some are pretty decent hits, like Mordhau or Risk of Rain 2. Some I'm personally just as interested in as any high profile exclusive EGS scooped, like DruidStone which just released. You can complain it's hard to keep track of all these things on Steam given the size of the store and deluge of releases, but you can't say there is no fresh exciting stuff coming to Steam all the time.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for a lot more bribes during the holidays.
OxHLRlE.gif

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
You can play the game, it is just that it downloads the uPlay version and you dont even need to have EGS on, so you might as well get the game in uPlay (where there is a 20% discount sale right now so you will probably get it for cheaper there in the more expensive regions)
Yea you can play the game if you own it since it's just the uplay version.
But if you were to buy it the game needs to authenticate it and activate the game on uplay first...THAT is what's broken atm. So even if you buy it you can't play the game as the uplay activation is required.

EDIT: I tried this with Breakpoint. I got the store page AND the discount to show up. But it didn't let me buy it as it said there was a problem.

I presume that they'll have it fixed before the sale ends. But it just shows that people who are making conspiracy theories about them "conveniently"removing Ubi games are so off the point.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
In my region:

Metro Exodus = 4$
Metro Redux = 2.24$
BL3 : 50$
Vampire: The Masquerade® - Bloodlines : 39$ in Epic 22$ in Steam for me
Heavy Rain: 10$
Beyond: Two Souls: 10$
Detroit: Become Human: 10$
Ashen: 14.24$
Control = $17
World War Z = $9
Darksiders III = $16
The Sinking City = $18
Walking Dead Final Season = $6

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. I'll bite on Hades.

Insane generosity on Epics part to just eat the extra $10 discount. Like DUH! They want to get people to spend some money on the store and not just log in to get the free shit but it's a heck of a way to so it.
I wonder what they're cooking up to keep people spending, though. Sure, I'll take free games, sure, I'll (try to) take Control for $18, but they're basically training the audience to act exactly like what they criticized Steam did, if not more so.

And I don't mean this as a "gotcha", I don't care about them being hypocrites, changing their mind is good, I'm just not sure how sustainable that is, they're losing money in some of these sales from what others have said, Steam never loses money, at most they don't make any like with third party key sellers.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
Don't see how anyone could dislike this sale. So glad EGS is hear to give us consumers more options when it comes to AAA games. EGS has been extremely good since they launched. I'm more than happy to have another icon in my task tray for deals like these.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): drive-by, ignoring staff post
Imagine spinning this as negative and deleting your account lol

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yea you can play the game if you own it since it's just the uplay version.
But if you were to buy it the game needs to authenticate it and activate the game on uplay first...THAT is what's broken atm. So even if you buy it you can't play the game as the uplay activation is required.

EDIT: I tried this with Breakpoint. I got the store page AND the discount to show up. But it didn't let me buy it as it said there was a problem.
oh yeah you quoted me before too. Sorry I didnt remember to reply. Thanks for the info :D

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I wonder what they're cooking up to keep people spending, though. Sure, I'll take free games, sure, I'll (try to) take Control for $18, but they're basically training the audience to act exactly like what they criticized Steam did, if not more so.

And I don't mean this as a "gotcha", I don't care about them being hypocrites, changing their mind is good, I'm just not sure how sustainable that is, they're losing money in some of these sales from what others have said, Steam never loses money, at most they don't make any like with third party key sellers.

I'd like to think it's a recognition that there is a class of consumers who aren't going to buy things at full price. I generally consider myself such a consumer. Sales are what drive the majority of my PC purchases outside of very rare titles at full price (I think that my last one was No Man's Sky, and that only affirmed that doing so is a big mistake).

So, while some might think of it as "training", for whatever audience I fall into, it's accessing it in the first place.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
well epic would say, and did say, that by selling a product for cheap you are devaluing it and making the overall market a race to the bottom like an app store. where the discount comes from doesn't really matter in that instance. they said they wouldn't be doing that, which is why they're getting a lot of flak for it in this thread

This is absolute nonsense. How could it not matter that it's the dev who has to bleed themselves to compete with other devs bleeding themselves with deep discounts, i.e. what Steam has trained them to do, versus the store offering a store-wide discount that all developers only benefits from? Repeating a lie doesn't make it any more true.

i would say that offering lower prices by leveraging their value alone (instead of other forces) is fairly anti competitive in a larger scope. a large seller using their own money to discount things at a loss can easily put smaller guys out of business, leading to more consolidation and leading to less competition. like valve will be fine with this tactic but gog and itch.io barely keep the lights on as is, how are they supposed to compete with ten dollars off the top? it's not illegal or anything generally, but loss leaders are not particularly healthy for the market

The argument is if this is pro-developer and pro-consumer, which it is. Unarguably. Epic is not in the business of making pro-other storefront decisions, and it's absolutely not their responsibility to think of them at all; the same that it's not Sony or Nintendo's responsibility to think of each other except as competitors. And personally I find it deeply embarrassing that we're setting the bar at "benefit your direct competition or you're evil", but only for Epic.

none of these are good for developers or consumers in the long term

Then Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Apple and literally everyone else with a storefront is far worse for developers and consumers, as they do nothing to help competing storefronts, and also force developers to discount out of their own pocket to compete with each other.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's what I think about the EGS and their mega sale.
Yes, it is a free account, with a couple of free games that I added before the Metro Exodus fiasco started.
But that's what they want, people making accounts and getting used to their store.
I'm willing to use the EGS once they stop taking games hostage.

egsaccountdelete0mkay.jpg
This is hilarious

Oct 27, 2017
These seem like decent discounts if you're interested in any of these games. The thing that continues to baffle me with the EGS is how they keep communicating everything about from the POV of developers first. Like, its nice and fine to advertise how great it is for developers that Epic is eating the cost of the discounts. But as a consumer, why should I really care? I get it- it helps the developers keep more of the cut from the presumed increased sales, but it just seems like every marketing point for the EGS is more aimed at developers and not consumers.

But if you're trying to appeal to me as a consumer in the long run, you've got to make the actual storefront feature competitive with Steam in addition to being price competitive. Epic's whole behavior since the start of the EGS has just been a complete turn off though for me as a consumer and it kind of upsets me how they're almost stoking animosity between developers and consumers by trying to paint themselves as some savior of PC gaming and if you're not supporting them then you must hate developers because you're in turn supporting evil Valve and their unfair 30% cut.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

Yeah, I'd love to get some insight into their strategy here, but I'd surmise that they're hoping the sale acts as the "foot in the door".
The "first hump" is the biggest hump so to speak, so getting players to make an account and spend that first dollar to buy into the ecosystem is probably worth the loss. Time will tell if they're willing to continue subsidizing sales, but they probably think that they won't need if that first hump is cleared.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I guess what Epic needs right now is to drive away people from Steam or other stores to their storefront so it becomes a more attractive platform for publishers.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
Everytime Epic do something i'm like

giphy.gif

go on Era

Meanwhile i'm gonna enjoy Hades and i'll get Satisfactory next month

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the only way Epic could win me over, but they don't have anything I want yet, and I'd need to see more deals to trust them.