• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the Hades situation is a bummer. I saw the price earlier in the day as was pumped to buy it. I finished my class and some work, and just now saw this. Really feels unlike Supergiant. I mean, I know it's not a huge difference in price, but for some reason psychologically it really turned the whole situation from excitement to disappointment. I guess I'll see if they roll it back, if not I'll pass.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I know how you feel. However, that is just a 0.89€ price difference. I do not believe you can hope to get the game for less than 7.49€ in the coming years.

Similarly, Shovel Knight is 11.50€ these days, and it is the cheapest it has been for the past two years.
With Early Access games, you get similar price patterns as more content is added to the game.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The John Wick game looks like a revamp of Volume. Same dev, similar mechanics, just more action-focused.

6.61€.

It doesn't look like Volume at all outside of maybe some of the perspective / art. Gameplay wise it looks like it has much more in common with something like Frozen Synapse or Doorkickers. With the action / "turn" based melding stuff maybe a bit of Transistor.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Was thinking of picking up the Quantic Dream games, are they any good?

Some people like them but I've never been able to fathom why. They take sometimes-interesting premises and then ruin them with David Cage's ham-fisted writing and direction.

I agree, They should have just subtracted 10$ from your total when you went to pay or on the shopping cart.
Images like this just damage a games "perceived value". Now it'll be viewed as a 5$ game.

Ah, but there is no "total" because there is no shopping cart, you purchase each game individually.

With the Hades price back into actual discount range, the stand-out deals remain Hades, Observer, John Wick Hex and Afterparty imo. Metro Exodus is 35 euros (western Europe) which I think is the cheapest it has been, but the base price of 60 euro (the price of a new, boxed console game) remains insultingly high, and so the discount isn't deep enough for me to consider it. We'll talk when it hits 20 euro.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Except he isn't. It's Dkoof who called them greedy and Galyonkin said IF they're greedy then this even more doesn't make sense [to remove game from this sale].
I'm sorry, I jumped on the gun this time and didn't read into the context. I didn't intend to spread misinformation and apologize for taking this comment out of the context. It's important to keep the discussion about EGS civil and next time I'll clarify information before immediately posting it.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I've heard people say it could be a case of price perception. As in people will see the game sold for 7.50 and now will be less likely to buy it at full price as it has gone down that low now.

I find that a weird thought personally, but maybe there's merit to it. I feel like it'd be easy to see the extenuating circumstances of the sale. Not like seeing someone get a game dirt cheap at a going out of business sale, price error, or weird flash sale would affect my buying habits for said game personally, but maybe I'm the odd one in that case.

There is definitely merit to it. Lots of people only buy games on sale if the price is the lowest it's ever been and I understand it. If you don't intend to play the game right at that moment and the game has had a deeper discount before, it makes total sense to wait until the game hits that price again. This means that if Epic doesn't finance a similar discount out of their pocket again, developers would have to heavily slash the price themselves to get those sales.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There is definitely merit to it. Lots of people only buy games on sale if the price is the lowest it's ever been and I understand it. If you don't intend to play the game right at that moment and the game has had a deeper discount before, it makes total sense to wait until the game hits that price again. This means that if Epic doesn't finance a similar discount out of their pocket again, developers would have to heavily slash the price themselves to get those sales.

Yeah, but this is a different kind of sale. It's almost like someone treating a price error as the only price they'd buy the game at from now on going forward. I have a hard time believing that someone would have ever bought it at a higher price if that was going to seriously sway them.

Maybe I'm just being naive though.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but this is a different kind of sale. It's almost like someone treating a price error as the only price they'd buy the game at from now on going forward. I have a hard time believing that someone would have ever bought it at a higher price if that was going to seriously sway them.

It's a different type of sale, but the way prices are presented it looks like a regular sale. Price trackers and consumers won't be able to tell the difference a few months from now. Contrast this with the Chinese New Year sale on Steam where you'd only get the extra discount applied in your basket.

I dunno what share of consumers are this price sensitive though. I generally don't check if a game is on sale at a historical low price, but if I'm aware a game has been discounted deeply in the past, I tend to wait for the next sale.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's a different type of sale, but the way prices are presented it looks like a regular sale. Price trackers and consumers won't be able to tell the difference a few months from now. Contrast this with the Chinese New Year sale on Steam where you'd only get the extra discount applied in your basket.

I dunno what share of consumers are this price sensitive though. I generally don't check if a game is on sale at a historical low price, but if I'm aware a game has been discounted deeply in the past, I tend to wait for the next sale.

That's perfectly fair, and I'd do the same. That's the thing though, at this point the game has been around for close to five months. People who haven't gotten around to it by this point were probably always just gonna wait for a sale imo.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Some people like them but I've never been able to fathom why. They take sometimes-interesting premises and then ruin them with David Cage's ham-fisted writing and direction

I personally think that Cage's excellent writing enhamces the quality of Quantic Dream's games a great deal. Worth getting, IMO.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

Well, is there any reason to think that Epic won't do the same thing again? Let's say that Supergiant's decides to discount the game 25% in six months during a not epic-mega sale, why wouldn't customers wait until another sale in which they can combine the developer's discount with Epic's bonus?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well, is there any reason to think that Epic won't do the same th]ng again? Let's say that Supergiant's decides to discount the game 25% in six months during a not epic-mega sale, why wouldn't customers wait until another sale in which they can combine the developer's discount with Epic's bonus?

....then why would it matter? If Epic foots the bill again, SG would still get it at whatever price they would have it set at anyway, and people who are waiting for a cheap price would have waited regardless.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
....then why would it matter? If Epic foots the bill again, SG would still get it at whatever price they would have it set at anyway, and people who are waiting for a cheap price would have waited regardless.

It would matter for every sale in which Epic will not foot the bill. It would make the game seem like bad value during every other sale.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It would matter for every sale in which Epic will not foot the bill. It would make the game seem like bad value during every other sale.

I don't think we can reasonably expect that epic will do this kind of thing often, so I don't see why we should treat this as anything other than a weird sale personally.

There are tons of price errors and weird sales that don't hurt the game after the sale is over. I hold that if people were going to be like "hm, its 25% off, but that's not as much as it was off during the egs sale...." they probably wouldn't have gotten it regardless until it goes on sale naturally around where the egs sale brought it to now.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
The john wick context is pretty interesting. In general i don't hear about too many pre-ordering indie titles (outside of kickstarter and shit), it seems like many are jumping on it just due to price/intrigue alone. Well, also the developer and brand too tbf. But it's cool that this sale has spurred ppl to order it and that the developer is not losing their cut from the sale.

If epic commits to eating the difference every sale, despite the frequency of them, it'd be a nice precedent to set.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Epic accounts seem to be on random regions that unless you go to buy something you don't realize you are in the wrong region. Mine was in Vietnam even though I would have never set it there. I've seen it from a number of other people as well.

I wonder if epic just randomly assigns you a region when you make your account if you don't assign one.

I don't think it's wrong to assume if you go to the store through the US link and you see USD as your price that you are seeing the US prices *shrugs*
Yeah that's valid. What I said has been happening a lot too.

The Epic website link for me says en-us and I get payed in USD , but I see a discounted regionally priced prices , Also AFAIK the website locates your IP and determine your country based on it on the store front

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Epic plans on bolstering these sales with their own money every time. Had it not been for the extra $10 off these sale prices would've been pretty bad.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Was thinking of picking up the Quantic Dream games, are they any good?
Heavy Rain and Detroit are easy recommendations. The latter is amazing. Heavy Rain is dated but still has its moments. Opinion on Beyond is highly split, half really like it, half hate it. Weaker on gameplay but has an interesting story. Get it if you liked Heavy Rain a lot.

Definetly do not miss out on Detroit and play that first in case you are hesitant about getting any of the 3. It is so good

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
To any devs or people who work in publishing:

If your games are already being sold in the $5.00-$14.98 range in developing nations, due to regional pricing, please consider raising the prices to the $14.99 threshold, since the majority of countries are still seeing prices in USD.

Even if the localized price is somewhat lower than in major economies, there are still other factors to consider, like unfavorable exchange rates, higher sales taxes, abusive international transaction fees, wage disparity, etc.

Because Epic is absorbing the costs of the discount, there is no reason for devs and publishers not to benefit from that fact. They'll make more money per sale while passing the savings directly to their customers.

If "devaluing" really is an issue, consider "overvaluing", at least for the duration of this sale.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Didnt Epic told us in the past that sales are bad for the industry?

That, and that developers were at the center of their platform considering it has zero features for customers. It truly is "just a launcher" in comparison with Steam.

I guess this will put a strain on Epic's relationship with said developers who seemed to be barely aware of the sale and not really aware with the depths of its discount. At the very least, it makes Epic seem more concerned with building their own user base than, say, having a healthy relationship with the studios on-board with them. I mean, it's pretty amazing that a AAA game was sold for US$7 years before its release. I don't think the studio or publisher were very happy with it.

I can't say I'm all that sorry for them given how they have thrown the PC platform under the bus in signing with Epic. Seems like they deserve each other.

Alyssa

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium
iKgMDnO.jpg

hahaha, I'm literally laughing out loud at work

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Didnt Epic told us in the past that sales are bad for the industry?
The only source I've been able to find related to the topic of sales. Presumably what people are referring to.
There won't be massive sales events that take up the entire store like on Steam. As to why, Galyonkin says such events effectively kill off sales for games that don't participate in them as well as for new games that launch right before that event. Instead, games on sale will be featured alongside non-sale games.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...te-sergey-clarifying-points-on-twitter.93249/
This Epic Mega Sale takes up the entire store. World of Goo is not on sale, and at the bottom of the page.
2D Boy could raise the price from €11.99 to €14.99 and become part of the sale at €4.99, but I hear that raising the original price during a sale is bad.

I don't think there's a system for scrambling the slots either? The same games are always in the same slots? Perhaps it's different for different regions, but for me John Wick Hex is always in the top right, etc. So that seems unfair to games that are always further down the page. EGS doesn't have a lot of games, so it's not a supergiant problem, but still.

This sale seems to have come as a surprise to a lot of people. Including Epic.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That, and that developers were at the center of their platform considering it has zero features for customers. It truly is "just a launcher" in comparison with Steam.

I guess this will put a strain on Epic's relationship with said developers who seemed to be barely aware of the sale and not really aware with the depths of its discount. At the very least, it makes Epic seem more concerned with building their own user base than, say, having a healthy relationship with the studios on-board with them. I mean, it's pretty amazing that a AAA game was sold for US$7 years before its release. I don't think the studio or publisher were very happy with it.

I can't say I'm all that sorry for them given how they have thrown the PC platform under the bus in signing with Epic. Seems like they deserve each other.

As a developer, if my game was already out, I'd be elated for more people buying my game at what results in full price sales to me. It would be nice if people stopped using us and "won't anyone think of developers" as ammo and to paint their arguments as selfless rather than entirely selfishly motivated.

But hey, feel free to keep ignoring me and other actual devs whenever it doesn't fit your narrative. I guess you don't even care much about keeping up appearances anyway, considering that "they deserve each other" parting comment.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Well, is there any reason to think that Epic won't do the same thing again? Let's say that Supergiant's decides to discount the game 25% in six months during a not epic-mega sale, why wouldn't customers wait until another sale in which they can combine the developer's discount with Epic's bonus?

But don't we have data from Steam sales that show that consumers buy the titles at an increased rate AFTER the sale due to word of mouth, increased twitch streams etc etc.

I recall very similar forecasts of gloom when Steam used to have some pretty amazing sales (which seem to have tapered off a bit over the last couple of years) and people were saying that Valve was training consumers to never buy a game when it wasn't deeply discounted.

Also, I really enjoy your posts, even though I generally disagree with you when it comes to Steam/EGS :)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
The Epic website link for me says en-us and I get payed in USD , but I see a discounted regionally priced prices , Also AFAIK the website locates your IP and determine your country based on it on the store front
you have to go into your account and check your region on your personal info.
the page might say en-us on top and you might see USD but it doesn't care, it bases everything off your account info and then makes the main page look like en-us with USD with that region's prices for some reason.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
You need local payment option (capable of doing international transaction, since prices are in USD in many regions) AND your store permanently locks to the region you make your FIRST EGS purchase from (so if you already have bought a game on EGS you can't change it anymore)...the only way to change it would be to contact customer support so you cant do it all the time. Their anti abuse policy is actually more robust than Steam's and I speak this from experience (and I won't go into detail). Origin fucked up by not taking this measure and just increased the prices altogether which was shit.

ahh boo :(. Thanks a lot for the info.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Bigger games were not on sale at all. They just had lower price because Epic was eating those 10$. So basically Epic was losing money on each sale.

I don't think there's too many games that aren't on sale. Ubi's games were removed from the store altogether to avoid the sale. I'm not sure why they'd do so when Epic's the one taking the hit.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I picked up Hades on sale, already own World War Z and the Quantic Dreams games on PS4, and I'm not interested in Borderlands and Metro.

Are there any other Epic Games Store exclusive titles that are at good prices worth picking up and looking at?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's too many games that aren't on sale. Ubi's games were removed from the store altogether to avoid the sale. I'm not sure why they'd do so when Epic's the one taking the hit.
They were not removed to avoid the sales. Ubisoft games were removed a week before due to backend issues that have not been solved yet (probably problems with interaction between EGS and uPlay).

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
As it's been said it's removed due to integration issue.
You can actually see the games here and see the discount applied, but you won't be able to buy it as it'll give you an error during checkout. (I went to the US store so as to reflect the US prices, did not want people to start talking about how to get cheap games again by posting the shot from my region)

S9u4uh6.png

4UOfuxI.png

4o56SfT.png

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/ghost-recon-breakpoint/home
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/the-division-2/home
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/anno-1800/home

Oct 25, 2017
you have to go into your account and check your region on your personal info.
the page might say en-us on top and you might see USD but it doesn't care, it bases everything off your account info and then makes the main page look like en-us with USD with that region's prices for some reason.

My country in the Setting is Egypt ( which is grey locked ) , thats where I live , and When I use a VPN to check prices , the Store displays the prices of the country with the VPN but my setting is still Egypt and it will charge me with my country's prices , not the one with the VPN ( it locks it based on your first purchase/Credit Card linking )

Last edited: