• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
Damn for 10$ i bought Control and Detroit. Can't say no this because it had fucking fantastic regional prices for my so shitty country.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
You know what would be cool? Some goddamn user reviews on the released titles. I've got to Google this shit just to find out what people think.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
That, and that developers were at the center of their platform considering it has zero features for customers. It truly is "just a launcher" in comparison with Steam.

I guess this will put a strain on Epic's relationship with said developers who seemed to be barely aware of the sale and not really aware with the depths of its discount. At the very least, it makes Epic seem more concerned with building their own user base than, say, having a healthy relationship with the studios on-board with them. I mean, it's pretty amazing that a AAA game was sold for US$7 years before its release. I don't think the studio or publisher were very happy with it.

I can't say I'm all that sorry for them given how they have thrown the PC platform under the bus in signing with Epic. Seems like they deserve each other.
Quite a stretch there, Mr. Fantastic

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried to purchase something on epic, with a debit containing 500 bucks on it. It keeps getting declined, oh well

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wait where is the evidence Epic is footing the entire bill? Granted I was on page 8 last night going to bed and only looking now it's page 19 so it may have been shown. From what I can see when going on the store the devs have put their games on discount and then on top of that Epic are offering a further $10 off, so some devs are actually losing money no? I did notice there are some who, like borderlands, are not discounting their game but due to the stipulance of above $14.99 or whatever it is Epic takes $10 off but most if not all the indie titles have dev discounts. That ain't good.

Also to note, again and I sound like a broken record but who cares, Australian gamers are fucked so bad on this store. Checking the discounts today we have games discounted, cool, yet the actual discounts even with some being $20 off just comes back to the regional price but in AUD instead of USD. For instances Ashen is typically $39.99USD but in the sale it is $29.99 with the dev discount then another $10 off with Epic making it $19.99USD. That's actually $39AUD because we get currency conversion smacked.

So yeah, we save $20 but we still end paying the tag price one way or the other. Fuck I hate scummy currency conversion tactics.

CGS

Oct 27, 2017
I bought BL3 for $34.99 and Control for $13.99. That's the lowest I've ever prepurchased a game ij a digital store ever. 😎

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Wait where is the evidence Epic is footing the entire bill? Granted I was on page 8 last night going to bed and only looking now it's page 19 so it may have been shown. From what I can see when going on the store the devs have put their games on discount and then on top of that Epic are offering a further $10 off, so some devs are actually losing money no? I did notice there are some who, like borderlands, are not discounting their game but due to the stipulance of above $14.99 or whatever it is Epic takes $10 off but most if not all the indie titles have dev discounts. That ain't good.

The 10$ bit is Epic footing the bill. Other discounts are at the choice of the devs.

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
I was disappointed when the Division 2 and Metro Exodus skipped a store I trust with my purchases but I'm happy to shop around for games generally so I was happy to check out the Epic Games Store given the steepness of these discounts. Now having had a little look though, I've got to say, even at these prices I'm not interested.

A single page for all items presented in a form over function tile based format, no user reviews, no curator reviews and last but not least, having to purchase individual items rather than adding all of them to a cart and making a single transaction is just so ridiculously archaic, so blatantly "we just had to cobble something together and ship it" that I don't have any trust in these people to manage my purchases properly.

I'll take a half finished game and watch the develop with interest but I sure as hell will not buy third party games from a half finished store!

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, I don't think any of the publishers are being strongarmed into any discounts besides the $10 Epic discount that Epic themselves are paying for. If an indie developer didn't want to discount their game further they probably could leave it at full price. (The publishers that have pulled out seem to have done so because of their concern over the $10 credit affecting the sale price adversely, which is a different issue and probably something Epic should've worked out with them beforehand.) Also, where did we get the idea that a game going on sale is automatically bad for the publisher? Past evidence suggests that's not the case, and even now I don't think people have been saying that sales are a net negative, just that perhaps steep discounting may not have the same effect it had years ago.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

The 10$ bit is Epic footing the bill. Other discounts are at the choice of the devs.

Thank you, that's what I believed was the case. So realistically those who are choosing to take a discount hit to go low low to grab some sales are probably making what they'd get on Steam. I think the calculations were about a $10 difference if on Steam at 30% split. Intriguing, only because of Epic chipping in the $10 extra is it actually working though because otherwise why bother being locked away on a store if you have to put it on sale for what you'd get elsewhere.

Mind you this is based on AUD prices for my maths because looking at comparison titles the Steam game is $10 less.

lcap

Oct 27, 2017
Now I'm regretting being lazy and not redeeming the previous free games, just spent a lot of money, but double dipped on Control for $18,99 (preordered on Xbox One when it was 120BRL before 505 changed to 240BRL), Phoenix Point for $8.99, Hades for $10,99 and Outward for $9,99.

Brazil, btw.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It must be even more fun for backers of Phoenix Point, to not only see the game being pulled from Steam, but now also being sold for a discount to others before release. Epic stays classy.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Thank you, that's what I believed was the case. So realistically those who are choosing to take a discount hit to go low low to grab some sales are probably making what they'd get on Steam. I think the calculations were about a $10 difference if on Steam at 30% split. Intriguing, only because of Epic chipping in the $10 extra is it actually working though because otherwise why bother being locked away on a store if you have to put it on sale for what you'd get elsewhere.

Mind you this is based on AUD prices for my maths because looking at comparison titles the Steam game is $10 less.
What? If the game is $7.99 after the Epic $10 discount, the dev is getting 88% royalties on $17.99 which is $15.83. To earn the same on Steam the game would need to be priced at $22.61, which is nearly 3 times the price of the EGS sale price.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It must be even more fun for backers of Phoenix Point, to not only see the game being pulled from Steam, but now also being sold for a discount to others before release. Epic stays classy.

It's epic's fault the Phoenix Point developers went to them looking to be on the EGS and it's also their fault the Phoenix Point devs didnt opt out of the sale? It's genuinely laughable to see the lengths people will go to to shit on Epic.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It's epic's fault the Phoenix Point developers went to them looking to be on the EGS and it's also their fault the Phoenix Point devs didnt opt out of the sale? It's genuinely laughable to see the lengths people will go to to shit on Epic.
Pretty sure you cannot opt out of the sale (unless you momentarily leave the store), as the sale is even there for games that are not buyable right now in EGS:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/the-division-2/home

unknown.png

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I have to give them credit to try and get people to jump in and I'd love to see steam do a sale like this but I just can't support epic. :(

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was disappointed when the Division 2 and Metro Exodus skipped a store I trust with my purchases but I'm happy to shop around for games generally so I was happy to check out the Epic Games Store given the steepness of these discounts. Now having had a little look though, I've got to say, even at these prices I'm not interested.

A single page for all items presented in a form over function tile based format, no user reviews, no curator reviews and last but not least, having to purchase individual items rather than adding all of them to a cart and making a single transaction is just so ridiculously archaic, so blatantly "we just had to cobble something together and ship it" that I don't have any trust in these people to manage my purchases properly.

I'll take a half finished game and watch the develop with interest but I sure as hell will not buy third party games from a half finished store!

This post is just beyond amazing. Buggy game fine, shitty web layout for store a deal breaker.

I am genuinely giggling at work. Even if this is not a parody, thank you for the laughs. :D

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Getting mad at sales that cost the devs nothing is some real Galaxy Brain shit

What he's getting at is backers shouldered so much risk to then see the devs sell out to Epic, and now see the game they paid full-price for being discounted at a fraction of what they paid.

Doesn't take a genius to see why they would have cause to be pissed.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed My Time at Portia for $13.99. That's the cheapest I've ever seen it. Been meaning to check that out.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
What he's getting at is backers shouldered so much risk to then see the devs sell out to Epic, and now see the game they paid full-price for being discounted at a fraction of what they paid.

Doesn't take a genius to see why they would have cause to be pissed.
People know what they're doing when they back a game.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Getting mad at sales that cost the devs nothing is some real Galaxy Brain shit

No, that's you not really understanding crowdfunding.

The devs asked people to help them make the game, and part with their money at that point, for a project that could go any way. They asked people to trust them, and support them.

Selling the game now for a cheaper price then a limited level in a crowdfunding campaign will be a thorn in the eye of people who did put their faith in them so long before the games release.

While this sale is something the devs did not start, they still shoulder a lot of responsibility for this. They were the ones who jumped on this Epic Store game exclusivity deal, they were not approached for it.

Having the opinion that crowdfunding is something that should be respected is not galaxy brain shit. It's really not.

It's Epic's fault for doing a sale that creates a situation like this, yes.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if the final season of the walking dead can read your save files for your choices even if I got all previous seasons on steam ? cause at 5 $, its very tempting .

Since no one answered, i took the chance - for 5 $ is not that big of a risk . If anyone worried - the game read my local " new frontier" save and imported it with no issue .
With one episode down, it look like a great purchase already .

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
No, that's you not really understanding crowdfunding.

The devs asked people to help them make the game, and part with their money at that point, for a project that could go any way. They asked people to trust them, and support them.

Selling the game now for a cheaper price then a limited level in a crowdfunding campaign will be a thorn in the eye of people who did put their faith in them so long before the games release.

While this sale is something the devs did not start, they still shoulder a lot of responsibility for this. They were the ones who jumped on this Epic Store game exclusivity deal, they were not approached for it.

Having the opinion that crowdfunding is something that should be respected is not galaxy brain shit. It's really not.

The people who crowdfunded also got access to the game before release and could give feedback on development. That perk alone is enough aside from the gratification of helping in bringing something to life, what happens beyond that is not disrespectful or whatever as you say. The number of people who managed to get Phoenix point for $4-5 will number in a few thousand because not everyone is able to buy them at that price. And more importantly what would you say about the people who were able to buy the game for $15 pre sales and will do so post sales due to regional pricing? That's $15 lower than the kickstarter amount as well...Is that disrespectful as well?

When the people in the official forums themselves are not talking about it then it's something that's obviously not an issue to the very people you are speaking for.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bollocks, it's on the dev's. They are also selling it at a price point they sold it at during their crowd funding campaign so your "But what about the backers" spiel doesn't hold much water.

Alright, so you can speak for everyone yourself, when you're saying that that perk is enough?

You mean just they way you're speaking for all those apparently pissed off backers?

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The people who crowdfunded also got access to the game before release and could give feedback on development. That perk alone is enough, what happens beyond that is not disrespectful or whatever. When the people in the official forums themselves are not talking about it then it's something that's obviously not an issue to the very people you are speaking for.

Alright, so you can speak for everyone yourself, when you're saying that that perk is enough?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So what would you say about the people who were able to buy the game for $15 pre sales and will do so post sales due to regional pricing? That's $10 lower than the minimum kickstarter amount to actually get the game...Is that disrespectful as well?
Additionally if people never supported kickstarter just for supporting the devs, then how do you explain the $10 backer tier that does not include the game ?

I can speak for them because I have evidence in the form of the official forums. Where's your basis from?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
So new World War Z buyers, how's the community?

Are you finding games easily and are they full? Does it get stale after a bit?

I'm debating between WWZ, Ashen, and Metro Exodus.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
But don't we have data from Steam sales that show that consumers buy the titles at an increased rate AFTER the sale due to word of mouth, increased twitch streams etc etc.

I recall very similar forecasts of gloom when Steam used to have some pretty amazing sales (which seem to have tapered off a bit over the last couple of years) and people were saying that Valve was training consumers to never buy a game when it wasn't deeply discounted.

Also, I really enjoy your posts, even though I generally disagree with you when it comes to Steam/EGS :)

Thank you, the feeling is mutual. Regardless of one's position on a matter I am always happy to debate with people posting in good faith and proper arguments. That's the whole point of a forum. Unfortunately sometimes discussions get heated or derailed because,well, it's the internet.

On the topic of sales, we've had lots of studies that suggest what you say, that the sales themselves usually help the word of mouth of a game. Valve has gone on record multiple times to say that sales do not affect day one purchases and multiple indies have said that sales provide a big increase in revenue.

Now, multiple studies have also suggested that pricing your game too cheap right from the start or doing deep discounts early in the game's release cycle can cause significant loss of revenue. The proper way to discount your game is to do gradual discounts over time: Maybe 10% at launch, 20% later, 33% after that and so on. The goal is to extract the maximum possible amount of revenue at each discount.

So I think that's what the developers and publishers are afraid of: that once you offer, say, a 33% discount you've essentially wasted the 20% discount threshold. If you go from full price to 50% immediately, you've lost the chance to do smaller discounts. So a game like Hades being discounted by 60% or so, even if a large part of that discount is covered by Epic, may have the developers worried that they've essentially wasted the previous discount thresholds. The general audience may not care but the bargain-hunting crowd certainly will.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Bollocks, it's on the dev's. They are also selling it at a price point they sold it at during their crowd funding campaign so your "But what about the backers" spiel doesn't hold much water.

Selling it for the same price as the regular (not early bird) crowdfunding is a different case though. Slacker backer options are very common.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC