• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I do kinda think games getting 70% pre-release discounts is indicative of the store not doing too well. No healthy marketplace does that kind of thing, and it suggests a tacit admission that they've failed to convince the market that games distributed by the epic store are of less value than those distributed elsewhere.

I imagine that there will be some people who see this sale, and question why they would ever buy a game for full price on Epic store when they offer these kind of aggressive discounts on games that are not even out yet.

The fact that Epic are subsidising these discounts themselves is certainly curious. Do they see it as a loss leader? Do they think that offering someone 70% off a preorder is going to convince them to buy games at full price in the future?

This is literally Epic bribing consumers into accepting their moneyhats. Sad but not unexpected to see that's it's actually working.

Your gonna get shit from people, but you know this website is full of weird "gamers". So good on you for staying with your morals and fuck the corporate overlords.

Thankx m8!

How dare you boycott something that isn't an open world game or a lootbox

Yeah I know, shame on me.

Oh and to all these people mocking at me for showing my finger to Epic's gift: I hope you realize that this would never have happened if a significant amount of pc gamers didn't raise their voice and vote with their wallets against Epic's strategy. At least consider this when you're making fun with me for not bending over to Epic throwing their Fortnite money around.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Epic is losing way more money than Valve is. If Epic can do this stuff without losing a ton of money that's when Valve will have to take them as a somewhat serious threat as that would mean that their store will be able to survive once the Fortnite bux start to dry up.

Fortnite is making so much money that they don't care. This is capitalism, Valve would lose their position before Epic runs out of money.

In any case a company can just stay idle when a big competitor enters 8n the market. Is just common sense.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Better news for me, I don't care

So we're mad because they changed their mind?

36244.jpg
I don't watch nerd shit

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was skeptical but this looks like a really great sale:

Spellbreak Early Access - $22.49
John Wick Hex - $7.99
Walking Dead Final Season - $4.99 (ALL Walking Dead Episodes are $5)
Trover Saves the Universe - $16.99
Donut County - $8.70

I guess it's time to start building that Epic Library.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It seems like that may not be the entire story here. There's a discount existing that seems to be on the devs part but then on top of that Epic are taking $10 off which they are bankrolling. I might be misinterpreting that but it's what I've gathered with how their wording comes across as with the "we are matching the discounted price by taking $10 off."

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is literally Epic bribing consumers into accepting their moneyhats. Sad but not unexpected to see that's it's actually working.

Thankx m8!

Yeah I know, shame on me.

Oh and to all these people mocking at me for showing my finger to Epic's gift: I hope you realize that this would never have happened if a significant amount of pc gamers didn't raise their voice and vote with their wallets against Epic's strategy. At least consider this when you're making fun with me for not bending over to Epic throwing their Fortnite money around.
In this circumstance buying a game from their store actually might hurt them financially. So if you bought one or a fes, then didn't buy again outside some other rediculous offer. You actually might be doing more damage lol.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Hmm, yeah, Sinking City and Control are both at 50 USD, and that's 67CAD (probably more, depending how PayPal's gonna do the exchange rate-and there's no effing way I'm giving EGS my credit card info)

It's a sweet deal for a lot of regions, and it'll play well into Epic's narrative of "we're listening to people's concerns (re: regional pricing), but I still feel shafted, :(

Ah well, there's always other games to play.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite is making so much money that they don't care. This is capitalism, Valve would lose their position before Epic runs out of money.

In any case a company can just stay idle when a big competitor enters 8n the market. Is just common sense.
I mean, Valve just put the Steam Link app in iOS and the Library update seems to be coming this month (as files have been found in the beta version of the client), as well as the EGS sale ending just as the Steam Summer Sale starts...

The beta for the servers / multiplayer API is coming also soon (as A Hat in Time new DLC is using it for the new MP).

Valve is doing stuff to compete.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GMG is not losing any money, they take a 30% cut off the full price and they eat into that cut to give you 14% off. GMG remains profitable this way. Epic has a 12% cut and is LOSING MONEY every time someone buys something with this $10 off thing. Epic is paying developers more than you are paying them.

Epic paying developers more than I am paying them sounds like a pro-consumer and pro-developer move to me? I don't pay as much yet developers are still getting their money.

Also, didn't Valve just give everyone $5 off an order of $30 or more during the Lunar Sale? The only difference here is magnitude and frequency of the discount.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
This is a sale where the dev is getting the max price - whatever sale discount there is, with Epic literally paying the 10$ that is the bulk of most of these discounts

Devs get their max cut
Consumers get their sale price they wanted

How is this bad?

Buy it yourself dork

Depends on where you live. The sale price we want in Europe is nowhere to be found. Only a handful of games have a discount that makes them interesting. Most heavy releases just have the 10 bucks price drop (which is the same that can be found in other stores), some games even have some scummy price drop to just go below the 15€ mark (dropping 1,50 to 2,50 instead of 10).

So that pretty much what is already available for the bigger games in other stores selling EGS keys, and I'm not even talking about the grey market, I'm talking about official and well known stores. Nothing for the customer here that doesn't exist elsewhere. Meanwhile, for smaller games not available on those stores, EGS still have a price monopoly that wouldn't exist if they decided to stop buying exclusives everywhere. They still decide that some countries have to pay 50 bucks games that some others pay 20.

And for your other comment about having an account, yes, I do have one, back from where it was for the new Unreal or Shadow Complex. It never was about not subscribing to the platform or having a single marketplace. I won't give them money as long as I find the shit they pull constantly awful. And after their no-sale policy and obvious 180 today, seems I'm not the only one.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It was $5 and only usable once. You could buy more $5 coupons with tokens but the amount you had to spend to get those coupons weren't worth it at all.

Oh yeah it was $5, either way Valve has pulled similar things, just on a smaller scale. I don't think anybody would argue that Epics is to another factor compared to that sale, but marketshare and all of that. It's just not completely unheard of, even with Steam. Sony has even pulled similar deals before, but it's always been some stupid number like $70-$100.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Didn't galoynkin say they'd never do sales like this??

Or was that specifically referring to steam sales??

Either way that's some decent discounts, but also not necessarily a good look for the store itself.

It's good thing we have steam to bring the heat of competition to force Epic to change their policies ;p

@ot Anyone know if they added a PayPal option yet?

Spruchy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This sale got me to open the store for the first time and it ran like straight up dog doo doo. Have a nice computer but was maxing out my CPU...don;'t know if I want to put any money into this.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
How complete is Subnautica below zero? I really liked the first one, but I dont want to play the expansion until is mostly done.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This is pretty clearly their big intro attack sale too btw since it lasts until freaking June 13th

They won't do another one like this again

It's good thing we have steam to bring the heat of competition to force Epic to change their policies ;p

@ot Anyone know if they added a PayPal option yet?

I used PayPal so yeah

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this buying process is poor on mobile.

Entered all of my info and clicked to purchase Hades and...nothing? Everything reverted back to blank fields.

Nothing in my email saying I bought the game.

Retried the purchase and same thing happened again. If they want to compete with Steam they've got to step it up in a lot of ways. I shouldn't have difficulties buying a game from an online store.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Epic paying developers more than I am paying them sounds like a pro-consumer and pro-developer move to me? I don't pay as much yet developers are still getting their money.

Also, didn't Valve just give everyone $5 off an order of $30 or more during the Lunar Sale? The only difference here is magnitude and frequency of the discount.
Yeah, quite nice discount by Epic. Clearly not even close to profitable and a massive loss leader (Valve discount during Lunar Sale was basically what the "profit" range was). Nice that the devs get the money.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hmm....can't find anything worth buying. Wonder if this John Wick game will be any good. Can you refund preorders?

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
I don't think there has ever been a 70% discount on a prerelease Steam game. It's certainly not a prevalent trend.

Maybe not pre-release, but I have bought games at over 70% off for various sales. I'm not sure why this would be any more (or less) damaging than Steam's massive sales of the past? I think lots of people wait to buy all kinds of games at a discount because they know they can wait. Others buy it as soon as it's available because they want the thrill of playing early with other enthusiasts.

Whether or not this is indicative of poor performance at EGS, it's just another sign that Epic is going to bend and flex to meet what they think the market wants. My guess is you'll see more of this as they work out the systems everyone thinks is necessary for a game store/game hub of this kind (mainly because Steam took that direction years ago and now everyone wants competition to catch up yesterday).

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
These sales wouldn't be happening without the people complaining and voting with their wallet. To the disdain of the people and game press that just wanted people to just accept it.

This is positive for consumers. And could also drive the potential of actual competition ( if they stop their exclusive stuff)

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So we're mad because they changed their mind?
I don't think that the general audience that dislikes Epic is against this specific sale.
You can still dislike the tactic that Epic keeps throwing money at every problem until they disappear but this sale in particular is pro-consumer.

Also this to some degree:

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Despite not being interested in giving that store money, took a peek at Journey, Detroit and Beyond, and they were not available for buying/preorder. So I'm good Epic, thx for the effort tho.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
For those folk who both hate the EGS but also can't resist cheap Hades (you should buy Hades), note that the game works absolutely perfectly when added to Steam as a non-Steam game. Can load it up from the .exe, don't need the EGS launcher open. I play it through Steam Big Picture with a Steam controller. I played Hades in bed last night on my iPhone via the Steam Link app with my Steam controller tethered to my phone.

Dreamy.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah after a closer look most of the good prices are coming from the $10 Epic is giving away in Western Europe, so the good deals are for games close to $15.

TWD Final Season is pretty tempting though.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Epic moneyhatted all them games, but Mordhau has made a bigger splash then any of them

Valve will be fine

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe not pre-release, but I have bought games at over 70% off for various sales. I'm not sure why this would be any more (or less) damaging than Steam's massive sales of the past?

Whether or not this is indicative of poor performance at EGS, it's just another sign that Epic is going to bend and flex to meet what they think the market wants. My guess is you'll see more of this as they work out the systems everyone thinks is necessary for a game store/game hub of this kind (mainly because Steam took that direction years ago and now everyone wants competition to catch up yesterday).
Game sales tend to be fairly front loaded. There is a massive difference between games that Epic have paid for exclusivity on being discounted by Epic subsidies to the tune of 70% off for preorders, and a developer/publisher deciding to discount a game to extend the long tail after launch window sales have petered out.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I don't think that the general audience that dislikes Epic is against this specific sale.
You can still dislike the tactic that Epic keeps throwing money at every problem until they disappear but this sale in particular is pro-consumer.

I call it the Shane McMahon Solution

Oooh nice

Tempted to get TWD Final Season

Wait what do you mean they won't do a sale like this again ?

There's zero chance this is feasible long-term lol, they won't make any money on this sale

If they do another sale like this they'll probably still pay out but the amount will be less, like 5$ instead of 10$

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, Valve could afford giving everyone $5 off because of the higher cut that they normally take, there is no way that can result in a loss.

It is indeed somewhat of a pro-consumer and pro-developer move, but it's also unsustainable. This is them giving away their Fortnite money again. If you buy something with the $10 discount from this sale and then never buy anything from Epic again, Epic will lose here as their goal of getting loyal customers failed and they also lost money.