• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Not to bash on your particular thread but we are having like 3493 Epic threads on the forum atm lol

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
E0fe7kAXMAUqxgw

E0fe7hrWYAEpxSE

E0fe7h0X0AoFCHq

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Division 2 sold....115k copies? Anno ~32000?

Ubi laughing all the way to the bank with Uplay sales + Epic money.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Were people seriously that crazy for Arkham Knight?
It's interesting how the free games create big spikes, but don't seem to change the active users when there isn't a free game.

Dec 21, 2018
This lawsuit revealing industry practices and what was typically reserved only for insiders is such a treat. Not that I want more lawsuits, but I wouldn't mind this level of insight occurring more frequently.

meschio94

Jan 26, 2018
they got themself in the worst possible position

The store have users only with free games, coupon and exclusives, almost zero retention

If they remove it, the store will die, if they don't remove this promotions they will lose more money
In both case they will have an hard time to wash off all those bad PR they earned

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
These numbers don't really justify Epic's moneyhat policy. Almost all exclusives sold badly and the only big spike, Borderlands 3, still ended up with Epic barely making any profit. It seems that giveaways work much better in attracting new users and driving daily active user growth.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Were people seriously that crazy for Arkham Knight?
Nah, that checks out. Arkham Knight launched in such a sorry state on PC that Warner Bros. pulled it off Steam and offered refunds to anyone who played it while they fixed it (Which I think was unheard of at the time?*). I can see a whole lot of people who either got their refund and never went back or were scared off from trying it at the jump that ended up forgetting about it until EGS offered it for free.

Edit: Steam incorporated its refund policy a few weeks before Arkham Knight came out. WB just auto-approved refunds regardless of Steam's two-hour playtime policy.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
These numbers don't really justify Epic's moneyhat policy. Almost all exclusives sold badly and the only big spike, Borderlands 3, still ended up with Epic barely making any profit. It seems that giveaways work much better in attracting new users and driving daily active user growth.

The giveaways are just life support as you can see how it falls down after.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
So other than free games and brief spurts due to exclusives, there's no real movement. Curious to see the traction Kingdom Hearts had. Can't imagine that it lead to any real retention.

meschio94

Jan 26, 2018
So other than free games and brief spurts due to exclusives, there's no real movement. Curious to see the traction Kingdom Hearts had. Can't imagine that it lead to any real retention.
pretty bad

The game start at preorder without discounts, the day before the launch they put a 10% off discount and a 1 month free sub of disney+, from yesterday they now give 3 months of disney +

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Did Epic make any profit at all? I'm seeing them say BL3 made roughly 82 million, but it cost over 140 million for that exclusivity deal.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
pretty bad

The game start at preorder without discounts, the day before the launch they put a 10% off discount and a 1 month free sub of disney+, from yesterday they now give 3 months of disney +
LOL.

Doesn't help that the games were cracked day one, so the anti-EGS people just played them all anyway.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
So basically nothing is working. It's all free games, some heavily discounted games with coupons and a few big titles acquired at very high cost for very little movement one way or another.

Tim Epic is going to be tilting at Steam's windmills with that Fortnite money though. Well, unless he loses his Apple case and then pisses off Sony and MS by airing some dirty laundry.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Seriously ridiculous. There's at least one person in ubisoft whose job seems to be getting less people to play their games.
All the bulk of sales are probably on Uplay, I doubt the overall numbers is as good as if their games released on Steam, but in the end, Epic is paying Ubisoft so Ubisoft can make money and Valve don't. The only ones getting hurt on all this is the people who got their coice of where to buy removed tho', since Ubisoft stop selling keys everywhere not only Steam.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Nope, they took a bath on it. They made like $7 million over the money they paid for guaranteed sales and such but they indeed paid over $140 million in total including the Handsome Collection and Civilization giveaways.

80M of that 140 was a baseline guarantee on Borderlands 3, which was covered easily by sales of the game. So it was more like $60M.

Peanuts!

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
All the bulk of sales are probably on Uplay, I doubt the overall numbers is as good as if their games released on Steam, but in the end, Epic is paying Ubisoft so Ubisoft can make money and Valve don't.
At this point in annos life yeah I'm sure most of it's on uplay, but at launch? I might bet that the steam share was very large. There's a reason ea came back. If this strategy worked they'd all be doing it.
The only ones getting hurt on all this is the people who got their coice of where to buy removed tho', since Ubisoft stop selling keys everywhere not only Steam.
Yes I agree with this.

Well also epic is getting hurt because they're getting robbed by ubisoft. Who would choose egs over uplay given the choice? Ubisoft is just laughing their way to the bank and epic seems fine just flushing money down the toilet.

I still don't get how epic can convince themselves they come out on top in any way whatsoever in that situation.