• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
We're taking it none of you have forgotten the UE5 tech demo yet. Who could have? Epic Games, in a press release, said that with the upcoming engine the company is aiming to "achieve photorealism on par with movie CG and real life", and the demo we all saw didn't fail to impress these ambitions on us. But what we didn't see is how GPU-intensive this demo was – it turns out, not all that much.
We recently spoke to Epic Games and learnt a little more about making Unreal Engine 5. Vice president of engineering Nick Penwarden said, "I can say that the GPU time spent rendering geometry in our UE5 demo is similar to the geometry rendering budget for Fortnite running at 60fps on consoles." Let's give ourselves a moment for that to sink in.

www.pcgamesn.com

That amazing UE5 tech demo was only as GPU-intensive as Fortnite

And this is seriously good news for the future of gaming performance

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Man they really, really like talking about this demo. I'm starting to think some of what they're saying is bullshit because they can't seem to talk about literally anything else.

Kadab

Oct 25, 2017
YxhCJAR.jpg

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Why was it 1440p then?
the real unachievable thing from the demo a game coming anywhere close to that level of textures tbf

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Man they really, really like talking about this demo. I'm starting to think some of what they're saying is bullshit because they can't seem to talk about literally anything else.

What else are they supposed to talk about when it comes to next-gen consoles and UE5. This demo is literally the only thing they've shown.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
What a load of marketing bollocks, next thing they'll say is the PS5 will power up the next Space X shuttle with 10% of it's gpu power and ssd

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
He's specifically talking about the geometry budget and how it's equivalent to rendering the geometry in Fortnite. He's basically bigging up the Nanite tech.

So, with Nanite, rendering the geometry of the UE5 demo at 1440p/30 is about equivalent to rendering the geometry for Fortnite at 4K/60 on current gen.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
So they made a tech demo that doesn't demonstrate what the tech can actually do?
They absolutely did. They showed a demo that showed off how fast i/o streaming can change how we handle on screen rendering. The engine has literally been rewritten in parts around this. It's a major shift in tech.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
He's specifically talking about the geometry budget and how it's equivalent to rendering the geometry in Fortnite. He's basically bigging up the Nanite tech.

So, with Nanite, rendering the geometry of the UE5 demo at 1440p/30 is about equivalent to rendering the geometry for Fortnite at 4K/60 on current gen.

Ah thanks. Kinda baitey title given tech demo ran at internal 1440p resolution at 30fps.

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope this isn't just all marketing bullocks
What do you think? The GPUs in the current gen consoles were never the problem. (or at least never as big a factor as their cpus)
And the demo running at 1440p 30fps doesn't help support their claim either.

Yes. The SSD is so fast it can compute geometry.
It also does your taxes and invests your money in a diversified portfolio while walking your dog.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
guys

don't confuse geometry budget for pixel shading budget

they're just saying with the large amount of culling/mesh shading, they are technically displaying as many polygons as fortnite

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

This, but I suspect people aren't going to understand that and just call it "marketing bollocks" instead.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Where did i put my hercules graphics card?

All kidding aside. The tech is great for all consoles.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Yes. The SSD is so fast it can compute geometry.
Actually, the SSD is so fast that geometry that is not visible doesn't have to be computed/ rendered, freeing up massive amounts of budgeted resources for only what you see. It's using occlusion to the max because you can cycle in and out of memory only the geometry that is visible on screen without any noticeable hitching/ loading.
In past consoles, you would load in all of the geometry for a room/ scene at once and that would need to sit in memory until you reached the next loading zone which triggers the dump of those assets and the loading on new assets.
Because the loading can be done so quickly, there are technically no loading zones. Data is always loading. And because you don't have to budget for all assets in the zone at once, you can use the highest of high quality geometry which uses more memory and takes more resources to display on screen.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
This tech is still what makes me the most skeptical when it comes to UE5.

Unreal's auto-generated LODs have always been awful, so I don't trust this tech to be much different. From a distance I imagine things will look great, but I worry that once the camera gets close to the geometry it's going to be a mess.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Here's your PS5 headlines for the next few weeks, courtesy the Oracle of Delphi. You're welcome-

Epic: The PS5 is the holy grail of sex toys, and the new DualSense works great as a dildo.

Epic: The PS5 bluray discs can be used to solve Global Warming.

Epic: The PS5 will single-handedly end Donald Trump's presidency.

Epic: The Unreal 5 tech demo running on the PS5 cures depression

Oct 27, 2017
guys

don't confuse geometry budget for pixel shading budget

they're just saying with the large amount of culling/mesh shading, they are technically displaying as many polygons as fortnite
This. You guys are not understanding what they are actually saying. They are saying that handling of the geometry ONLY is as taxing as it is in FortNite. This doesn't account for all other areas, where there are more than likely huge differences from FortNite.