• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Milford, PA
ERa-

I was going to see my Wii but starting playing Mario Galaxy I forgot how good the games were. Is it wortth it to get a Wii U? How does 2 player work?

I'd prefer to just invest in Switch but you cant play any of those games yet. What do you guys think, is it worth it? Mostly interested in Mario, DC Country and Zelda but the kids are into it as well so 2-player is a must. I do have my OG Wii, 2 controllers and the balance board.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw your Wii. But isnt worth it to get a Wii u.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Wii U is still worth it. The Switch is too. But the U is still expensive so I'd just take that money and put it towards a Switch.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Got a Wii U on Friday.
Played Super Mario 3D World for half an hour put a huge grin on my face.

Playing through Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE atm and loving it. Think it'll make top 3 of games played this year.

Also have Xenoblade Chronicles X and Hyrule Warriors.

Been eyeing Donkey Kong : Tropical Freeze and Captain Toad.

Are there any other retail Wii U exclussives I should look up? I think Mario Maker was supposed to be released on Switch and I'm no fan of Bayonetta.

Backlog

Oct 27, 2017

zoboomafoo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wii U has a bunch of great games, but I have a hunch many of those will make it to the Switch. The console's only Zelda and Mario Kart titles have already been ported there. A Wii U is a worthy investment if you can find one for cheap and are a hardcore Nintendo fan, but in your case I'd safely recommend skipping straight to the Switch.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think the official Nintendo online store is still selling refurbs with NintendoLand for $175, although I wouldn't be surprised if shipping+tax pushes that close to $200.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod150200

I've always heard that this is still the original launch stock repackaged as refurbished. That can't still be true, could it?

Edit: Beaten!
I stand corrected. That's not a bad price!

Deleted member 13859

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish the wii u worked out better but then from this failure we got the switch and Nintendo going all in. Hmm double edge sword.

The Wii-U has some great games.
You can used the wiimotes for games in multiplayer get one of you can. You can also play wii games on the wii u. They are not uprezzed but rather a bit smoother and playing games on the wii u tablet can make them look really nice.

Hope they bring HD remakes of some classic wii games to the switch Galaxy games being some I would like.

I haven't tried to hack my wii-u maybe one day I can try.

TheIcedP

Oct 27, 2017
I love my Wii U personally buy you should get a Switch. There are going to be many more releases coming out for the Switch soon and the Wii U was a failure console and the game selection is limited and also the console itself is still expensive.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Just to let you know if you do get a WiiU, the tablet controller you cannot connect two of them to one WiiU and if you break it you can't really operate the WiiU without it

Other than that i loved my WiiU

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
The Wii U has you using Wii Remotes and/or Pro controllers for multiplayer. The Switch comes with 2 joycons that combine to function as 1 standard dual-analog controller, or work as two separate single-stick controllers.

Some of the games compatible 1 joycon per player are Arms, Bomberman, Mario Kart 8 DX (pretty sure), Snipperclips, Pokken DX, Sonic Mania, and I'm sure a bunch more I don't remember.

Personally I would go with the Switch. It has the better 3D Mario, better version of Zelda, better version of Mario Kart, Dong Freeze may well get ported eventually like Returns did to 3DS.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
I already have a Wii U and the Zelda U version. What's good beyond Zelda and Mario that's a 100% Switch exclusive? Should I wait until January or get it sooner? I like Fire Emblem Warriors, but I also have a New 3ds that can run it.

OP
OP
CreateNowSleepLater
Oct 25, 2017
Milford, PA
Thanks for all the replies, I didn't realize the Zelda games were ported over. I did like the idea of the Wii games playing smoother and just having one console. The easier solution would be if Nintendo just ported the wii games over. The Mario games, Smash, Punch Out, etc. I imagine If I could get one under $200 with a bunch of games it might be worth it. That gamepad is a killer though.