• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm sick at home and have been watching youtube for the past 4 hours. I've now entered the snooker zone.

I'm watching this video of Fu vs Day.
Day does an epic comeback to reclaim the table and win.

But what I don't get is... Why didn't Fu just clear the table in the first place? Can anyone explain this to me?

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow that channel ended up in my feed recently too and I've been hooked watching Ronnie O'Sullivan centuries.

This Snooker escape was insane:

I don't have time to watch the whole video, but I watched the first shot. Snooker pockets are extremely tight. There is zero room for error. If you have no shot, or a very, very hard shot it's a safer play to play a safety shot and give your opponent a just as hard or even harder shot. If they mess up and foul, you are awarded points. If they don't foul, they might leave you with an easier shot then what you had to start with.

It didn't look like Fu had any shot on any of those reds. He might have been able to knock the cue ball into the reds after he struck the black. Not sure why he didn't try that. I don't know enough to know what angles are required for specific types of shots.

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
Fu got complacement because he didn't think it likely that Day would want to come back to the table, which is an odd call on his and the commentators behalf because there were plenty of balls left on the table to make it happen. I'm not sure what he was doing on that black. Going for the cheeky double was an odd choice when he could have just put it in the far corner quite easily (by his standards). I figure he thought the cue ball would be safe at that end regardless. But the cue ball would have been up that side of the table even if he'd taken the obvious shot, so idk. Day decided to take a punt on a snooker after that and got quite lucky (actually, he was hitting those snookers pretty consistently after that as well to be fair), which started his brilliant comeback off. I don't think there's much other explanation other than complacency on Fu's behalf.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
So I'm sick at home and have been watching youtube for the past 4 hours. I've now entered the snooker zone.

I'm watching this video of Fu vs Day.
Day does an epic comeback to reclaim the table and win.

But what I don't get is... Why didn't Fu just clear the table in the first place? Can anyone explain this to me?

He didn't have any available reds and by focusing on potting the black (without developing the reds), he put himself far enough out front that his opponent required snookers to even match his score; that's usually enough to guarantee a frame victory. If he had attempted to power into the reds with spin off the black, he easily could have missed the pot which would bring his opponent to the table with enough points available to steal the frame AND with the reds opened up, making it far more likely he could get the points required to win. So Fu played a relatively safe tactic and ended up losing.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious, what's the etiquette on conceding? Is the unwritten rule being behind a certain number of snookers? Do all the reds have to be potted first?

Has anyone ever refused to concede and forced the frame to be played to the end?

Oct 25, 2017

World Championship final resumed a little while ago, with Judd Trump 12-5 up over night but Higgins has got off to a fantastic start. Almost had a 147 in the first frame and took advantage of Trump mistakes in the next.

It's 12-7 now and we might have ourselves a game.

I can't be the only one who is watching. Please don't let me be the only one watching...

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Red and another color back to back untill reds are done, and after that u finish the other colors in a specific order.

Red is one point and other colors are more points depending on which. Black is the highest.

Last edited:

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Explain to me this: what is the better European sport to watch while at home on a weekday, pool (including snooker) or darts.

Oct 25, 2017
Explain to me this: what is the better European sport to watch while at home on a weekday, pool (including snooker) or darts.

Snooker is the best sport of them all but I think darts might be better to watch. Snooker is better as background noise that you pay attention to now and again if you've got your phone or laptop with you, otherwise darts is better as it's got less 'boring' bits like long safety battles.

Pool is the best in the specific scenario of Earl Strickland losing and having a sulk about anything and everything with the audience booing him.

Cricket is obviously the best thing ever invented in the whole universe but that goes without saying, so we'll leave that out of this discussion.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
That said: if Blowers and Boycott were shot off to the sun, I'd genuinely not miss them.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
red colour red colour red colour red colour, until the reds have gone

colours in order

then the black...

reds worth a point

colours worth more points

most points wins

Oct 25, 2017
holy shit that shot from Trump is ridiculous. Actual cheat codes.

EDIT: rofl then fluffs it on the red a couple of shots later.

n3hNOqj.gif

Last edited: