• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I have a deep soft spot for fun low budget films, or lesser known stuff that's surprisingly good in some unexpected way. There's nothing worse than just a plain bad film in a boring, incompetent manner, but when you see films made with genuine inspirations at work, you can find some real gems. Typically these are best enjoyed with other friends or family who can laugh alongside.

To start things off, one of my favorites discovered on VHS like 25 years ago :

Almost unthinkable that this director would go on to make the LOTR Trilogy.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Godzilla vs Megalon

The movie was very clearly low budget. The "night time" shots are clearly just darkened day time shots, to the point where you can clearly see the sun reflecting off of car windshields. Tons of recycled footage as well as stock footage pulled from other Godzilla movies is used. This movie was supposedly filmed in three weeks and the entire production time from pre-planning to finish was all done in six months.

Also, it gave us this gem of a moment.

200.gif

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Miami Connection comes to mind. that friends for ever song is always stuck in my head for days after watching it.

OP
OP
Arkaign

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Godzilla vs Megalon

The movie was very clearly low budget. The "night time" shots are clearly just darkened day time shots, to the point where you can clearly see the sun reflecting off of car windshields. Tons of recycled footage as well as stock footage pulled from other Godzilla movies is used. The movie was supposedly filmed in three weeks.

Also, it gave us this gem of a moment.

200.gif

LOL

Amazing. Added to my watch/find list.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Mystic in Bali is something else, I really loved how weird it was.

I love B-movies, will be watching this thread closely.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Terminator 2: Shocking Dark
Devilfish
Masters of the Universe
The Monster Squad
Buckaroo Banzai

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
If we're going through the basics, watch Samurai Cop and The Room as soon as you can.

Then, once you get into the Z-grade movies, you're really into the good stuff.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much all dystopian/cyberpunk films:

Hardware
Screamers
Robocop (1 is great, but all of them are <3)
Johnny Mnemonic
Lawnmower Man
Hackers
Demolition Man
Total Recall
Running Man
Dark City
Brazil
et al

(Obviously some CP movies are GOATs such as Matrix and Blade Runner but yea)

Edit: fuckin' forgot Robot Jox!

Edit 2: oh my god I know some of these aren't B movies but I was 10 in 1995 and I have no idea what they were reviewed like, their budget, or anything else. I just remember seeing them on TV as a kid and loving them but being told later on they were shlocky scifi or not real films, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arkaign

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017

Hardware
Screamers
Johnny Mnemonic
Lawnmower Man
Hackers
Demolition Man
Total Recall
Running Man
Dark City
Brazil
et al

I'm happy to report that I've seen 100% of this list. Always happy to see Dark City get some love. Most of this I'd put above B movie class though.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

Hardware
Screamers
Johnny Mnemonic
Lawnmower Man
Hackers
Demolition Man
Total Recall
Running Man
Dark City
Brazil
et al

I'm not sure I'd consider many, if any, of these movies proper B-movies. Most of these are pretty much standard hollywood flicks.

But I'm happy to find one of the other 7 people who remembers that Screamers exists!

QuantumZebra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy to report that I've seen 100% of this list. Always happy to see Dark City get some love. Most of this I'd put above B movie class though.

Yea I knew it'd be a shitshow to debate which are above B-movie status (I'd argue half of them) but unless it drew acclaim I just threw it in there

I'm not sure I'd consider many, if any, of these movies proper B-movies. Most of these are pretty much standard hollywood flicks.

But I'm happy to find one of the other 7 people who remembers that Screamers exists!

giphy.gif

That part where the kid turned all teeth screamy thing still haunts my dreams

Evil Dead: Army of Darkness
ooo yes

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Screamers, yes.

Wait, didn't you make this exact joke last time this thread popped up and I wrote screamers as my answer?

Someone did...

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Toxic Avenger
Chopping Mall
Grindhouse
Critters
Tremors
Slither
The Blob (both the original and remake)
Evil Dead
Killer Clowns from Outer Space
Basket Case
Return of the Living Dead

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Modern 'B-Movies' (going by budget) that are absolutely amazing:

MV5BNjc3OWVjMTItYjc0Yi00NmFlLTk2YTgtYmU0MzcxMjBkNTYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

(budget: $7,000)

movieposter.jpg

(budget: $100,000)

Hardware
Screamers
Johnny Mnemonic
Lawnmower Man
Hackers
Demolition Man
Total Recall
Running Man
Dark City
Brazil
et al

Some of these films are obviously not B-films. Stuff like Dark City, Brazil, Total Recall and Robocop had pretty big budgets for their time.

CherryIcee

Feb 6, 2018
Is Krull considered a B-movie? I grew up with this movie and still go back to see young Liam Neeson and Robbie Coltrane.

QuantumZebra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of these films are obviously not B-films. Stuff like Dark City, Brazil, Total Recall and Robocop had pretty big budgets for their time.

I pointed that out literally right after my post, lol.

None of the films I listed were "normal" movies for their time and most flopped at the box office (which is what I consider a B-movie). I really just wanted to list all my favorite CP/dystopia movies.

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
First post nailed it. Dead Alive is amazing.
Another schlocky horror movie I have a special love for is Sleepaway Camp. I never cared for Friday the 13th too much, but this is one summer camp movie I really like.

Aside from horror, Miami Connection is top tier. I'm so glad I was able to find it by way of the Blood Dragon credits music.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
110001939.jpg

Enjoy the Red Scare in full force.

Also, The Swarm (1978):

The funniest, most blatantly racist film I've ever seen. No idea how this got made, but I'm thankful.

OP
OP
Arkaign

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I also kinda miss the low budget stuff like Solarbabies, Rad, and Gleaming the Cube.

But one film I've actually never seen mentioned anywhere, or met anyone else that saw it, was 'The Blood of Heroes'. I really really liked it, weird apocalyptic Rutger Hauer flick about a brutal sport. I can barely find anything of it online.

Edit :
Woo! found a trailer!

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Zombi 2 aka Flesh Eating Zombies by Lucio Fulci.

It's sooooooo good. And has one of the best scenes ever.

zombie1.jpg

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I have a weak spot for the Leprechaun films:

Hardware
Screamers
Johnny Mnemonic
Lawnmower Man
Hackers
Demolition Man
Total Recall
Running Man
Dark City
Brazil
et al
Robocop, Johnny, Lawnmower Man, Hackers, Demolition Man, Total Recall, Running Man, Dark City and Brazil aren't b-movies.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a deep soft spot for fun low budget films, or lesser known stuff that's surprisingly good in some unexpected way. There's nothing worse than just a plain bad film in a boring, incompetent manner, but when you see films made with genuine inspirations at work, you can find some real gems. Typically these are best enjoyed with other friends or family who can laugh alongside.

To start things off, one of my favorites discovered on VHS like 25 years ago :

Almost unthinkable that this director would go on to make the LOTR Trilogy.

That isnt meet the feebles

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Going by budget I'd recommend Primer. It's the best micro budget movie ever made .

It's an astonishingly smart film and it took me about 3 watches to remotely understand it. There are websites dedicated to figuring it all out. one of the best time travel movies ever.

Warning. Your brain will hurt .