• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to throw an old school LAN party at my house next month and I need some game ideas for a group of 8 - 9 people. Help me out Era! What PC games would you/do you play at LAN parties? I would love a mix of both modern and retro titles!

Update:
Update on this! I think everyone has decided on The Forest! We have an extensive list of games to fall back on thanks to everyone's contribution here. Thanks again. The party is on Saturday and I'll take pictures and update!

I didn't explain the purpose of this event. Of our circle friends, we have 1 who doesn't have a gaming capable PC and we love him to death. He's the kind of guy who would give you the shirt off of his back, is the life of all of our get togethers, and loves gaming! He's coming even though he'd be the only one in the group without a PC but we'll be presenting him with the machine as a surprise.

Here is a picture of the PC. Sorry about the mess.
7mkiADT.jpg

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I will always recommend Towerfall, although that's only 2-4 people so people would have to take turns, or have separate games running.
For that many players though, I don't know of many local games that also support that many people. Left 4 dead versus mode over LAN, perhaps?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Yo, get on that Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament whatever. Halo CE is actually pretty rad still, as well.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
One of my absolute favourite LAN games is a free game called Hockey? or Hockey Question Mark. Imagine someone smashed QWOP into a hockey game and that's sort of what Hockey? is. You can honestly have fun for hours, especially with a big group like you have.

Here's a link to the site: http://www.hockeyquestionmark.com/

OP
OP
Nezacant

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Great suggestions so far thank you all!

One of my absolute favourite LAN games is a free game called Hockey? or Hockey Question Mark. Imagine someone smashed QWOP into a hockey game and that's sort of what Hockey? is. You can honestly have fun for hours, especially with a big group like you have.

Here's a link to the site: http://www.hockeyquestionmark.com/

I love this! This is the type of group that would love a goofy game like this too.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Counter-Strike 1.6! That's my most played LAN game. Your group is bit too big for it, but we really had a blast playing Speedrunners at LAN (twice). Definitely got the most laughter and screaming out of us and brought the competitive spirit.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Unreal Tournament 2004 and Warcraft 3 (custom maps) are the most popular options around here. They are fun and can be played even on low-end laptops.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I have the fondest memories of LANing Halo 3 and Castle Crashers at a friend's house. And I wasn't even an Xbox owner, haha. I even brought my own Wii U and TV over to a friend's once so we could "LAN" the original Splatoon in online multiplayer.

Can't think of any times I ever did a true old-school PC LAN though...

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Ultimate Chicken Horse is amazing, but it's 4 players max. You can do 4v4 Rocket League. And don't forget Quake 3: Arena.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
You can't host a lan without playing
  • Age of Empires 2
  • Red Alert 2
  • Warcraft 3
  • Quake 1 and 3
  • Any Counter-Strike
  • Battlefield 1942 and 2
  • Planetside
  • Tribes
  • Day of Defeat: Source
  • Garry's Mod
  • HL2DM
  • Movie Battles II
  • Mount & Blade Warband
  • Team Fortress 2
Also some other games that comes to mind
  • Insurgency
  • Arma 3
  • Squad
  • Killing Floor
  • Dirt 3
  • Burnout Paradise
  • NFS Hot Pursuit (2010)
  • Starbound
  • Terraria
  • Rocket League
  • Don't Starve Together
  • World of Tanks
  • War Thunder
  • Company of Heroes
  • The Men of War games
  • Foxhole

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Many great suggestions here so it's difficult to mention someting unique. Rocket League should be perfect with 8 people, throw some mutators in there for some hilarious gameplay. Red Alert/Age of Empires for some good old school RTS goodness. Never had the chance to play Towerfall myself, but I've heard it's a great game. If you're willing to take turns Move or Die, Mount Your Friends, Starwhal, Disc Jam and Ultimate Chicken Horse should be good too.

Edit: Oh, and The Hidden: Source.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm all about old-school.

For a PC LAN, I recommend Worms Armageddon and Unreal Tournament. For a console LAN, if you have the budget, go all-out with four original Xboxes for Halo 1, Halo 2, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, MechAssault, and perhaps Unreal Championship.

FWIW, the latter two can support eight Xboxes!

OP
OP
Nezacant

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Update on this! I think everyone has decided on The Forest! We have an extensive list of games to fall back on thanks to everyone's contribution here. Thanks again. The party is on Saturday and I'll take pictures and update!

I didn't explain the purpose of this event. Of our circle friends, we have 1 who doesn't have a gaming capable PC and we love him to death. He's the kind of guy who would give you the shirt off of his back, is the life of all of our get togethers, and loves gaming! He's coming even though he'd be the only one in the group without a PC but we'll be presenting him with the machine as a surprise.

7mkiADT.jpg

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 are always hits, 4 survivors, 4 infected. Civ 5 is great to play in the background while you are chilling or having a bit of downtime.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Rocket league is perfect for a LAN party. Went to a LAN party late last year and while we played Halo, CS, UT, etc, we ended up playing Rocket League most of the time.

7mkiADT.jpg

You guys are awesome for doing that. Never played the Forest at a LAN, so hopefully you update us on how it goes. Hope you guys have fun!

Dutch Masters

Jun 7, 2018
The Ship, it's an incredibly fun/whacky game where everyone is on a cruise ship and you have to hunt down a randomly assigned target (another player) while avoiding getting hunted down yourself.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017

7mkiADT.jpg

That's awesome! I know you've already decided, but if you need a fun game to break the pace, look into gang beasts. You can play 4 players on one pc and I think it supports 8 players online. Your non-pc friend can use a controller. Just make sure you enable v-sync lol

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
Lots of good replies already, but will add ones I feel need to be played even if some have been mentioned.

Worms Armegeddon/Worms World Party - Awesome 2D turn based strategy game with great humor, that supports many multiple players at once.

Warcraft 3/Warcraft 3 Custom games - The base Warcraft 3 multiplayer is fun in its own right (unless one person is really good at RTS lol), but there is a near infinite amount of fun to be had with Custom Maps. From tower Defense, to Dota, Smash TV, and shit loads more, there are so many good custom maps to play out there.

Unreal Tournament 2004 - Probably my favorite arena shooter of all time. While Quake 3 was the better 1v1 arena shooter, I personally feel that UT2K4 had the much better multiplayer modes and a lot of them, Onslaught, Invasion, and CTF in particular were some of the most fun I have had in an FPS to date, on top of an already solid DM and TDM modes.

Serious Sam 2 and 3 - I personally like SS2 a bit more than 3, but both are great co-op shooters against hordes of crazy enemies. Both are just pure guns blazing actions with crazy, over the top weapons and enemies. Both version support up to 16 players IIRC.

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - My other favorite FPS of the time, a very fun, fast paced WWII shooter with different classes and tons of player created maps/mods. Loads of fun here and is completely free.

Duck Game - This honestly feels like a wacky version of bomberman. Supports up to 8 players, and is just a ton of fun.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I think a LAN party without Age of Empires 2, Warcraft 3 and Unreal Tournament is no LAN party.

OP
OP
Nezacant

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome! I know you've already decided, but if you need a fun game to break the pace, look into gang beasts. You can play 4 players on one pc and I think it supports 8 players online. Your non-pc friend can use a controller. Just make sure you enable v-sync lol
Ha! Gang Beats is a game this game group recently played together at a bachelor party via PS4.