• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I know that I'm being crazy, but this sounds like what's happening to me. My sleep has been shit, I've become very suicidal and started self-mutilating, and my anxiety and stress have become uncontrollable. I know it seems silly, but this seems like it could be the case.

This is exactly what it is. Your body is essentially regulating itself like you've gone through extreme physical trauma and certain processes are shutting off/prioritizing themselves lower than normal. It's probably not devoting as much protein to the hair growth cycle as a result. On average, a healthy adult loses a fair amount of hair every day. If your body isn't up to date on the growth cycle, then what you're seeing is the stuff you're losing without any of the new growth coming up to replace it.

Speaking as someone whose body went into absolute overdrive and lost a fair amount of hair because of constant stress, you need to get your stress and anxiety under control if you want it to get better.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, those guys who are bald at their 40's didn't just wake up one day without hair. If you think is stress, i would say don't worry because iirc that hair does come back.

But if it worries you too much just go to a doctor.

OP
OP
Nick Nehidnyk

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is now a mental health thread? Sorry to take things off the rails like that guys, I know that none of you signed up for this.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Your hair might be taking a gap year to backpack around Europe. Hopefully, it'll work out its wanderlust, and be ready to come back, perch itself where it belongs. Home is where the scalp is.

Edit:

Hair loss is practically nonexistent on my mom's side of the family; her father died in his seventies I believe, and his hair had barely thinned at all. My dad's a little thinner in his sixties, my paternal grandfather had hair until he died in his late nineties, while one of my dad's brothers has youthful hair and one is bald, both in their fifties.

What I am getting from this thread is that there is no point worrying about it yet; what happens happens. I may go to my doctor anyway and ask about it, but he won't have an answer either.

I know that I'm being crazy, but this sounds like what's happening to me. My sleep has been shit, I've become very suicidal and started self-mutilating, and my anxiety and stress have become uncontrollable. I know it seems silly, but this seems like it could be the case.

OP, I'm sorry. Didn't see your post before I replied. Wouldn't have been so flip if I'd read this.

You're not being crazy. That's a lot more than anyone should have to bear. I hope you get some quality sleep and support. And start feeling better,

Last edited:

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
It could be diffuse alopecia areata. Mine is triggered by stress and some kind of food allergy. Woke up one day with a bald spot the size of a dollar coin out of nowhere and it grew back after 3 months of steroid ointment.

Glad to see someone bring up alopecia. Could very well be it.

You should really check with a dermatologist to see if that might be it, OP. It's definitely treatable if so.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God is cruel. Don't fight it, go for the bald look and own it. You cannot fight it. I repeat: there is no good receding hairline look. Maybe grow a beard if you can.
captain_jean_luc_picard_by_sky_byte_haiku-d8qi1r8.png

But in seriousness, yeah just own the bald look.

My hair is slowly receeding, and I decided ages ago once it hits a point I'm getting rid of it.

There's nothing wrong with the bald look, and it's definitely something that you should not stop you from being happy.

OP
OP
Nick Nehidnyk

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is exactly what it is. Your body is essentially regulating itself like you've gone through extreme physical trauma and certain processes are shutting off/prioritizing themselves lower than normal. It's probably not devoting as much protein to the hair growth cycle as a result. On average, a healthy adult loses a fair amount of hair every day. If your body isn't up to date on the growth cycle, then what you're seeing is the stuff you're losing without any of the new growth coming up to replace it.

Speaking as someone whose body went into absolute overdrive and lost a fair amount of hair because of constant stress, you need to get your stress and anxiety under control if you want it to get better.
I'm definitely going to try and get my life under control. I imagine that the act of cutting myself isn't going to help with that, so I'm going to try and get some support from friends, maybe relax a little about my future. This thread has been eye-opening in ways I did not expect.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
2018 and people still don't know about finasteride

EDIT: Although you should ask your doctor about it first. 18 seems young to start taking it.

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
We are here to help. Genetics or not, your mental state will not only make it worse, but screw up way more important things.

Get that in order asap.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Lol yeah? I mean the fact that men just happen to get hair loss is so random and stupid pointless. It serves nothing, so let us keep our fucking hair.
I thought you meant that it happens, so let it happen. I misread it.

OP, you need to sort out the other stuff before the hair problem.

OP
OP
Nick Nehidnyk

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In case it isn't clear, I want to stress that I don't want to kill myself because of my hair, we're just entertaining the possibility that my mental health has contributed to this.

EDIT: I do want to extend my gratitude to the community. I'm going to get serious about getting help.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
In case it isn't clear, I want to stress that I don't want to kill myself because of my hair, we're just entertaining the possibility that my mental health has contributed to this.

EDIT: I do want to extend my gratitude to the community. I'm going to get serious about getting help.

Do you have a therapist yet? That's step number one.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My dad has thick hair but I still have less than him. Sometimes your body just doesn't care about genetics.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
I do not. I really ought to find one, but I don't think that my parents would support it. That's stop number one if I go to university, though.

Why would your parents not support you seeing a therapist? Would they deny you from seeing a doctor? It's the same thing. Doctors help take care of your physical health. Therapists help take care of your mental health.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely going to try and get my life under control. I imagine that the act of cutting myself isn't going to help with that, so I'm going to try and get some support from friends, maybe relax a little about my future. This thread has been eye-opening in ways I did not expect.

It's difficult. It's not going to be easy and it's not going to be fun. But trust me on this when I say you need to not think about your hair. The more you think about it, the more you'll FIXATE on it, which will only exacerbate the stress that you're feeling right now.

True story: About six years ago, I spent about 300 dollars on a scalp biopsy because I was convinced, due to anxiety and depression, that I was full-on losing my hair. I had a doctor literally use a machine to rip a chunk of my scalp out to test it for folliculitis and other genetic markers. I had to walk around for about three days with a bloody hole in the top of my head while I waited for it to heal.

The result? The doctor said I didn't have any of the genetic markers for male pattern baldness and suggested that if I was really worried about it just get a 5mg finasteride prescription and split all the pills up into little 1mg fragments, and take them every day. Then I talked to my regular physician, and he told me that my body was basically falling apart due to my stress and my anxiety, which was CONTRIBUTING to the hair loss. If you were to look at me now, you'd have no idea I was ever panicking about such a thing.

You're young, and you have a TON of time. Take time with friends, do things you know you enjoy, try new things you've never tried before. Take an after-school class in something that kind of interests you. Succeed at something (however small) every single day. Don't compare yourself to the people on your Facebook. If you focus on improving your life situation, you won't think about the hair as much, and the effects of the stress will fade. But you have to work at it.

OP
OP
Nick Nehidnyk

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's foolishly optimistic, but I think it might actually be stress. In the past few weeks I've started having really weird, aggressive head twitches that border on convulsions that, are involuntary. I think I'm going to have to focus on myself until that stops.

It's difficult. It's not going to be easy and it's not going to be fun. But trust me on this when I say you need to not think about your hair. The more you think about it, the more you'll FIXATE on it, which will only exacerbate the stress that you're feeling right now.

True story: About six years ago, I spent about 300 dollars on a scalp biopsy because I was convinced, due to anxiety and depression, that I was full-on losing my hair. I had a doctor literally use a machine to rip a chunk of my scalp out to test it for folliculitis and other genetic markers. I had to walk around for about three days with a bloody hole in the top of my head while I waited for it to heal.

The result? The doctor said I didn't have any of the genetic markers for male pattern baldness and suggested that if I was really worried about it just get a 5mg finasteride prescription and split all the pills up into little 1mg fragments, and take them every day. Then I talked to my regular physician, and he told me that my body was basically falling apart due to my stress and my anxiety, which was CONTRIBUTING to the hair loss. If you were to look at me now, you'd have no idea I was ever panicking about such a thing.

You're young, and you have a TON of time. Take time with friends, do things you know you enjoy, try new things you've never tried before. Take an after-school class in something that kind of interests you. Succeed at something (however small) every single day. Don't compare yourself to the people on your Facebook. If you focus on improving your life situation, you won't think about the hair as much, and the effects of the stress will fade. But you have to work at it.
This was really meaningful. Thank you.
Why would your parents not support you seeing a therapist? Would they deny you from seeing a doctor? It's the same thing. Doctors help take care of your physical health. Therapists help take care of your mental health.
My parents have insinuated on occasion that vaccines caused a depressive bout that one of my sisters went through. i don't think they'll listen to me, which is probably my fault, because I focus on really minute things like this.

EDIT: All the same, I think that I will bring it up. Thank you.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bad genes. Same thing started happening to me in my early 20's. When I first noticed I decided to 'embrace' it and just start buzzing my head. I don't shave it because I don't think I would look good with a completely bald head but I do buzz it down with no guard.

It's been almost 20 years since then. I honestly can't remember what it was like to have hair. My mornings are super easy I know that.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It could be alopecia, it could be early male pattern baldness and it could be stress.

I honestly think I went partially bald young (in my early 20s) because of stress from worrying too much and mental illness.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It's foolishly optimistic, but I think it might actually be stress. In the past few weeks I've started having really weird, aggressive head twitches that border on convulsions that, are involuntary. I think I'm going to have to focus on myself until that stops.

This was really meaningful. Thank you.

My parents have insinuated on occasion that vaccines caused a depressive bout that one of my sisters went through. i don't think they'll listen to me, which is probably my fault, because I focus on really minute things like this.

EDIT: All the same, I think that I will bring it up. Thank you.
If you're 18 and you have your parents insurance card, check your insurance info online because its likely you're covered for a therapist. You don't need your parents permission to see a therapist.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Are you still in high school? If so, you could try to speak to a counselor in your school, just to have someone to talk to about your stresses, and your parents wouldn't have to pay for it or even consent to you speaking to them. If you're in college, your university should DEFINITELY have on-site mental health counselors that would be covered under your tuition's health plan.

It really helps to have someone to vent to. Even if they can't solve everything, just having a sounding board to talk to while you work on your stuff in your free time is a million times more useful than stewing in your pain alone.

Another question: you mentioned your sleep has gone to shit. Have you been eating worse too? Sleep deprivation and major changes in diet could also be helping your stress-triggered hair loss, particularly if you aren't eating enough protein.

OP
OP
Nick Nehidnyk

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Are you still in high school? If so, you could try to speak to a counselor in your school, just to have someone to talk to about your stresses, and your parents wouldn't have to pay for it or even consent to you speaking to them. If you're in college, your university should DEFINITELY have on-site mental health counselors that would be covered under your tuition's health plan.

It really helps to have someone to vent to. Even if they can't solve everything, just having a sounding board to talk to while you work on your stuff in your free time is a million times more useful than stewing in your pain alone.

Another question: you mentioned your sleep has gone to shit. Have you been eating worse too? Major changes in diet could also be helping your stress-triggered hair loss, particularly if you aren't eating enough protein.

I am in high school, and I will definitely consider my school's counselor, although I've lied to her for years about my problems.

I tend to eat a lot of protein, but there hasn't been a huge shift in my diet other than irregularity. Although, I should consider it more closely.

Deleted member 5545

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should get your hormones checked, specifically testosterone and SHBG. Low or even low-normal SHBG is a common cause of premature (before age 30) baldness in men, although thankfully it doesn't really have any other symptoms.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I am in high school, and I will definitely consider my school's counselor, although I've lied to her for years about my problems.

I tend to eat a lot of protein, but there hasn't been a huge shift in my diet other than irregularity. Although, I should consider it more closely.

Definitely work on getting more sleep, then. Sleep deprivation is brutal. I don't get a lot of sleep myself (especially not when I'm working a day job), and I can say from experience the longer you go without a good night's sleep the more all of your problems start to feel worse. If you're getting only 3 hours of sleep a night, try pushing it to 6. Get some blackout curtains for your bedroom or a sleep guard for your eyes to try and keep ambient light from keeping you up. Eliminate sources of "distraction" like phones and computers, and "log off" from social media or games at least an hour before you want to go to bed to prevent your brain from remaining "active" when you're trying to get to sleep.

I know a lot of these things I'm suggesting seem like basic maintenance, but the big thing is that if your body is acting erratically - and your hair loss absolutely qualifies - one of the best things you can do for yourself in general is to try and get your general physical and mental state as back to your own personal version of "normal" as possible. The human body is a machine, and if one or two components in that machine aren't working properly, the whole thing starts to break down.

If you need someone to talk to, feel free to shoot me a PM.

OP
OP
Nick Nehidnyk

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Definitely work on getting more sleep, then. Sleep deprivation is brutal. I don't get a lot of sleep myself (especially not when I'm working a day job), and I can say from experience the longer you go without a good night's sleep the more all of your problems start to feel worse. If you're getting only 3 hours of sleep a night, try pushing it to 6. Get some blackout curtains for your bedroom or a sleep guard for your eyes to try and keep ambient light from keeping you up. Eliminate sources of "distraction" like phones and computers, and "log off" from social media or games at least an hour before you want to go to bed to prevent your brain from remaining "active" when you're trying to get to sleep.

I know a lot of these things I'm suggesting seem like basic maintenance, but the big thing is that if your body is acting erratically - and your hair loss absolutely qualifies - one of the best things you can do for yourself in general is to try and get your general physical and mental state as back to your own personal version of "normal" as possible. The human body is a machine, and if one or two components in that machine aren't working properly, the whole thing starts to break down.

If you need someone to talk to, feel free to shoot me a PM.
Thank you, I really appreciate it. Although my sleep isn't as bad as I guess I've made it out to be, it's definitely sporadic and low and it's one of the things I need to fix. Again, thank you.

OP, I'm sorry. Didn't see your post before I replied. Wouldn't have been so flip if I'd read this.

You're not being crazy. That's a lot more than anyone should have to bear. I hope you get some quality sleep and support. And start feeling better,
If it makes you feel any better, I thought your original reply was funny.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 30, been thinning for the past 4-5 years. Minoxidil, finasteride, and nizoral have slowed it to a crawl though. I highly recommend them sooner rather than later if you want to keep some of you hair into your 20's.

It really sucks, and I definitely feel for you as someone who has experienced that low myself, but like most things in life you get used to it and learn to live with it in time. If you get a good routine going with your hair who knows how good you can look for how long!

Definitely see a doctor to see if they can rule out stress or other health factors via blood tests. Just be prepared for the news that it could be genetic. Male pattern baldness is extremely common and is usually the likely cause of new hair loss.

For the record I had thick, long, luxurious hair for most of my life. It's definitely an adjustment to not have it anymore, but it's not the end of the world.

Grigorig

Oct 30, 2017
Get your other issues sorted OP, hair is not the end of the world.

Though speaking of hair, are there any actually effective treatments or medication or whatever for baldness? I still have pretty much all my hair at mid-thirties but it's probably only a matter of time. I have a fairly balding friend who looked into it and apparently there's something pretty effective out there but super deadly to cats (like if they jump on your pillow, back of sofa etc.) so he's terrified of killing his two cats if he uses it lol

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Genetics and stress. I lost a lot of hair around my 19-20, then the loss seemed to stop for a while. Don't worry too much.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Genetics. I lost my hair around 30 years old. Been shaving my head ever since. It's not as bad as you think as long as your head is normal. Keep your chin up OP. I know you're young but it's not the end of the world.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Get your other issues sorted OP, hair is not the end of the world.

Though speaking of hair, are there any actually effective treatments or medication or whatever for baldness? I still have pretty much all my hair at mid-thirties but it's probably only a matter of time. I have a fairly balding friend who looked into it and apparently there's something pretty effective out there but super deadly to cats (like if they jump on your pillow, back of sofa etc.) so he's terrified of killing his two cats if he uses it lol

Minoxidil is the drug that's poisonous for cats. Minoxidil is the clinical name for Rogaine.

Thank you, I really appreciate it. Although my sleep isn't as bad as I guess I've made it out to be, it's definitely sporadic and low and it's one of the things I need to fix. Again, thank you.

Take care of yourself. As before, if you need to talk anything over, you can PM me and I'll be happy to help any way I can.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Testosterone is a bitch. Luckily, we're evolving to get rid of it. In about 200-300 thousand years, either we all will have full hair or be completely bald. Second one is more likely.

Oct 29, 2017
An uncle of mine started to get bald at the age of 16. It's perhaps not very common, but it's a thing. Follow the thread's advice and go to a doctor first.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also,

buy head and shoulders. The zinc in it is good for the scalp

and eat veg + supplements and destress.

Snumpus

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It seems you've already had some good advice on taking care of your mental health, so I will just heartily second what's already been said in that regard. As regards your physical health, though: If/when you get to see a doctor, I recommend asking for blood tests inclusive of thyroid function. I have seen both friends and relatives, male and female, go through hair loss issues related to thyroid problems, and they can sometimes be quite difficult to get diagnosed if your thyroid function is borderline. While in your case it's more likely to be linked to the stress you're under because of your mental health issues (and I've been there myself, so you have my sincere best wishes), depression can also be a symptom of thyroid issues, so it would be good to rule out the physiological before beginning the journey to repair the psychological.

Best of luck!

Oct 25, 2017
With self mutilation and graying at 18, PLEASE see a doctor and maybe a counselor as well. It's a very stressful time of life, and some sort of deficiency could be combining to affect your mood as well. Don't just let everything ride and hope for the best. It might be unlikely genetics, and I lost most of my hair early, but at that age combined with your other symptoms I think you really ought to get checked out. It might be something that can get totally fixed, and you have your whole life ahead of you.

No matter what your emotions tell you right now, don't give up! I remember crazy stressful classes and the like too.

Status
Not open for further replies.