• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My hairline has started to recede like crazy, despite only being 22 and having 0 family history on either side with hair loss (my 80 year old grandpa still has almost a full head). Sometimes it's just plain bad luck.

Shaved myself bald - not permanently, I just wanted to see what I would look like if I had to take drastic action should my baldness get worse - and it's quite liberating. Surprised at how good I looked.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Get an electrical shaver and never look back. Many women are greatly into it. Just don't do the weird "cover" up hairstyles or have long hair with a big bald spot - it looks awful and makes you look insecure.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Could be genetics.

I have a friend who has already accepted his fate fairly early on because his father, as well as many men in his family were all bald by the time they were 40, so he pretty much just gave up, lol.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i remember a primary school (elementary/grade school) of mine decades ago that already had thin hair then
like you can already see the scalp
it's just genetics

there's hairline transplant nowadays so maybe you can try that

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
My dad started losing his hair at around 45 years old. Hopefully I also don't start losing my hair :(

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
If you're getting grey hairs at seventeen years old, and it's not like a strand of hair but a patch of hair, I'd suggest seeing a doctor.

That sounds more like stress and less like natural hair change.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I thought I was losing my hair at 29. Turned out to be a short term thing, probably caused by stress (I had just started a new job that paid extremely well but demanded a lot of hours sporadically). I'd consult a physician.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Without any hard evidence I'm going to say that it's because of stress and copper deficiency.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
How's your grandfather on your mother's side hair? From what I understand the gene that causes baldness comes from your mom. I could be wrong and it's just a myth, but I always hear people say it.

I know a couple people who started losing their hair very young. It's unfortunate but it happens.

Outlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm on Finasteride, it stopped my sudden MPB at age 25. I'm staying on it until the mythical permanent cure comes out. That, or until I budget for a legit transplant/treatment.

I've heard horror stories about side effects such as bad skin, depression, ED, etc, but I've never experienced any of those luckily.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like alot of you guys in here posting about how it's not that big of a deal have forgotten how huge a deal something like hair can be when you're 18 years old. I remember when acne was in my top 3 list of things that deeply concerned me

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like alot of you guys in here posting about how it's not that big of a deal have forgotten how huge a deal something like hair can be when you're 18 years old. I remember when acne was in my top 3 list of things that deeply concerned me

Exactly. The OP isn't some 30-year-old, he's still in high school. This is a thing he needs to take care of, and "shave it all off and grow a full beard" isn't exactly good advice to give to a teenager.

Deleted member 23091

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just shave it and own it. If treatments like Finasteride are that effective and safe, you wouldn't see so many bald men, Lebron James would not be balding and hiding it for years with a headband, celebrities would not be wearing hair pieces and using concealers.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hair isn't even that good and if someone would hinge their attraction to you on your hairline instead of your INCREDIBLE INTELLECT, then they weren't worth it in the first place.

and that's low self esteem.

Oct 30, 2017
Get ripped as hell and shave it all off, you'll look pretty great trust me

Doesn't the idea that you have to turn yourself into some physical Adonis in order to make up for some lost follicles on top of your head just validate OP's fear? How realistically could he keep up this physique if he's not a professional? 10 years? 20?

At some point he will be a bald man with an average body or worse unless he wants to take extraordinary steps as his metabolism and male hormones slow down.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could be a number of things--fungal infection, stress, nutrition issues, or good ole' genetics. If you're worried about it, I would see a dermatologist.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine started disappearing when I was 15. It was horrible and really hit me hard. I would highly recommend seeing a doctor just to rule out any health issues which is what I did but turns out it was completely natural hair loss.

I'm not gonna say try this or try that...the only thing I can tell you is the truth and that there is nothing you can do to stop it. It might be tough to deal with now but you'll be fine.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Go to a doctor and see what the say. I've had friends bald at your age due to various reasons, but it does happen sometimes. Don't worry about it too much though, as that's extra stress on top of what you have.

Oct 30, 2017
Go to a doctor and see what the say. I've had friends bald at your age due to various reasons, but it does happen sometimes. Don't worry about it too much though, as that's extra stress on top of what you have.

If the doctor has any sense, they will prescribe finasteride and tell him to try minoxidil. Additionally, he should supplement it with a topical DHT blocking shampoo of some kind with 1% ketoconazole, saw palmetto, and pumpkin seed oil that he uses daily. It will make his scalp much healthier as a bonus side effect since it will have antifungal effects and reduce inflammation.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
"Hit the gym and grow a beard" folks do more harm than good giving that advice.
They are just telling you what you'll eventually come to realize on your own. Either you stop giving a fuck or give too much of a fuck and concede defeat....eventually. Like some of you acting like peeps up in here trying to sell you on drugs or something. There is nothing you can do to stop this atm. Maybe in the future it will change but right now its best to start keeping your hair short so that you get used to it and telling people to get fit in the mean time....I mean that just like good advice period.

Listening to the ppl that tell you to fight it....now that's bad advice. Unless you get loaded and can spend silly money on hair stuff you're not gonna get anywhere with over the counter products and if you get loaded in the future I doubt you are gonna care about any hair loss anyway.

Go see a doctor in any case just to give you some piece of mind.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I know, I know. But I'm still clinging to hope because my hairline hasn't been affected, it's just like it's falling out. I guess if it's genetic I should just accept it but dude, this seems like something else.
Diffuse balding. You'll be all right. Just don't worry and when the times comes, shave it all. Always looks great. ;)

Oct 30, 2017
They are just telling you what you'll eventually come to realize on your own. Either you stop giving a fuck or give too much of a fuck and concede defeat....eventually. Like some of you acting like peeps up in here trying to sell you on drugs or something. There is nothing you can do to stop this atm. Maybe in the future it will change but right now its best to start keeping your hair short so that you get used to it and telling people to get fit in the mean time....I mean that just like good advice period.

Listening to the ppl that tell you to fight it....now that's bad advice. Unless you get loaded and can spend silly money on hair stuff you're not gonna get anywhere with over the counter products and if you get loaded in the future I doubt you are gonna care about any hair loss anyway.

Go see a doctor in any case just to give you some piece of mind.

Everything I mentioned is 1) clinically proven and 2) available in cheap generic form besides the shampoos, which is like 20-40 dollars a bottle and good for your scalp anyways.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I know that I'm being crazy, but this sounds like what's happening to me. My sleep has been shit, I've become very suicidal and started self-mutilating, and my anxiety and stress have become uncontrollable. I know it seems silly, but this seems like it could be the case.
what?? this sounds more serious than hair loss, man. like others have said, talk to people. reach out, definitely let the doctor know

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I think it's pretty natural for your hair to thin out as you get older.

If your hairline isn't receding then I wouldn't ring the alarm bells yet.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Nick Nehidnyk - For fuck's sake, go see a doctor.

You're way too young to be going through what you are going through.

I can see that you're under a lot of pressure from school. Most of my friends ended up going to some of the best schools in the US (Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cal, etc), and almost all of us were under intense pressure from our friends and family to do well school / have great careers (the majority of my friends are doctors), but no one I knew was so extreme that they started graying. I'd be concerned that your stress caused you to develop some sort of illness and you really need to go see a doctor to make sure everything is okay.

Think of it this way-- if you're not healthy, you won't be able to perform at your best academically. Go see a doctor, and figure out a way to reduce your stress so you can be a better student. If the doctor suggests a shampoo or medication, then you can listen to them. Even if some of us in this thread are doctors, none of us should be telling you what to do unless we're examining you physically. (I am not a doctor.)

Go see a doctor.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Yeah its not the end of the world like it once was. Plenty of guys these days rock a baldy. Times have changed and people wont think your a nazi, and you don't need to try comb over or hide it. Some of the biggest action stars are bald. Embrace it.

The baldy with the full beard look is in, but you can keep a clean shave too. Just don't rock a goatee.

And hitting the gym is good advice whether you are bald or not, it can help with your self confidence if you are feeling self conscious.

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah its not the end of the world like it once was. Plenty of guys these days rock a baldy. Times have changed and people wont think your a nazi, and you don't need to try comb over or hide it. Some of the biggest action stars are bald. Embrace it.

The baldy with the full beard look is in, but you can keep a clean shave too. Just don't rock a goatee.

And hitting the gym is good advice whether you are bald or not, it can help with your self confidence if you are feeling self conscious.

The only issue I have with this is that it's not enough to simply have a health physique or be skinny like Moby, you have to look like Jason Statham or Vin Diesel.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
The only issue I have with this is that it's not enough to simply have a health physique or be skinny like Moby, you have to look like Jason Statham or Vin Diesel.
I did not mean to imply that at all and I'm sorry if I came off that way. Skinny and bald is just fine too. Point I was trying to make is simply that baldness doesn't have as much of a stigma as it once may have. I'm not a big guy myself but exercise always leaves me feeling good about myself.

And having read further posts in this thread, OP, please do see a doctor and tell them how you are feeling, you shouldn't have to suffer depression on your own. Taking care of your mental health is so important. I once went through some very serious depression myself and the only way I got through was speaking to my doctor who gave me advice and people to contact for further help.

Oct 27, 2017
REMINDER:

qparzcucdsvt.jpg

Get on finasteride or dutasteride ASAP op. If that doesn't work I hear hair transplants are cheap in Turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.