• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
All these top ten lists we see every year got me thinking this year. Especially after seeing Spider-Verse. In many ways, it was a seminal work, something that will influence films years to come and so I started wondering what films I'd pick for each decade that have that sort of quality. Films that represent the decade they belong to, that in some ways tell its story.

Rules: You can only pick one movie per decade. No runner-ups. Just a list is fine. Describing why each film is your top movie for the decade it represents would be awesome. Not every decade needs to be used, only the ones you truly feel strongly about.

Here's mine:

2010's

Mad Max: Fury Road 2015 ★★★★★

George Miller's Fury Road is stunning achievement across so many cinematic disciplines. The editing, the flow of the action, centered and anchored, always, like we are always in the eye of the tornado throughout the whole film, watching within it. The world, the story, where so little is said, and so much is conveyed. The cinematography, the colors, and tone, light and shadow offering sights that will remain with me for the rest of my days. The characters. FURIOSA. She enters into frame and instantly towers over the movie, infusing its narration and action with every ounce of her singular motivation to get them all away from him. The meaning and symbolism that is there to think about when the movie isn't in front of my eyes. The score. Brothers in Arms, when that track plays, motorcycles launching off sand dunes, music pumping, and the chase really begins in earnest, its one of my favorite movie scenes where everything a movie is and can be, that fusion of motion and sound and story, converge into something truly extraordinary. Fury Road is a masterpiece and is the greatest action movie of all time.

2000's

Children of Men 2006 ★★★★★

The cold vision of a future without hope of surviving because humanity has lost its ability to perpetuate. How Cuarón chooses to show how we react to that premise when a ray of light appears, is a story that is unforgettable. As Sci-fi? One of the most thought-provoking and engaging films in the genre we have. It is a movie is that becomes more relevant every year, being far more prescient than we could have anticipated. How it warns us about immigration, xenophobia, and what connects us all together is what great movies are all about. It's a towering achievement and deserves to be seen every year to continue to remind us what is important, what is worth dying and living for.

1990's

The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ★★★★★

I've only had one film watching experience like this, and can only hope I have another. The way I ended up watching Shawshank Redemption happened by chance. My brother and I were in the mood to catch a movie, it was late, and this was roughly '95 or 96', and that meant we had to make a drive down to our local Hollywood Video. We got there without a clue what we wanted to watch, and walked up and down the New Release section and didn't see a thing that looked good. So we downgraded and started looking at the old sections. If it looked like I felt like something, he wasn't into it, and vice versa and so on for a good 40 mins. We couldn't find a thing and didn't want the whole trip to be bust, you don't go to get a movie with thousands of movies to choose from and come away empty handed. You know when you're starving but nothing sounds good? It felt like that. So we settled it down to a few possibilities, a bit crestfallen about not finding anything that sounded good, so we ended up with Shawshank, some dour prison movie that had at least been nominated for Best Picture. It matched our mood I suppose. So we take it home, pop it into the VHS player, and let it play. Goddamn, but by the time Andy had swindled the guys those " ice cold bohemian beers" something was going on. And when the warden tossed that rock through that poster, and it clinks through and the camera pans through that hole in the wall that took Andy 19 years to dig with a small little rock hammer, I don't think I've ever been as mesmerized by what was unfolding in a movie. It could have ended there, and been stunning, but to end up with Red there on the beach at the end as well, I think it pushes this ending above any ending in film history. The amount of satisfaction that this film pushes through you, symbolism, meaning, I can't help but come back to it over the years, I can't help myself if I catch it on TV. Nothing beats seeing an amazing movie cold without any preconceptions and notions of what to expect, and Shawshank will always hold that experience of being utter amazed at a film that even remains amazing knowing it is one of the greats before viewing it. A masterpiece beginning to end.

1980's

Raiders of the Lost Ark 1981 ★★★★★

Lightning in a bottle. That's what Speilberg captured. One of the finest characters introductions set to screen. Perfect pacing. The smoothest balance of humor and action make this one of the most entertaining movies to watch ever. There's not a minute I'd trim out of the movie and the music still soars after all this time. It remains a paragon of action adventure that nothing has come close to and makes me yearn for someone to at least try again.

1970's

Star Wars 1977 ★★★★★

It changed the cinematic landscape of what was possible and introduced the world to characters that now reach across billions who love them. There is so much in terms of originality introduced here, for all the influences it had, that it popularized, and spread through the galaxy of fandom that we still see the ripples of and will continue to see for a long long time. I love the story structure, of how all narrative points converge into a singular action and finalize at exactly the same time. And it plays so well even still in a crowd. It's a beautiful setup to a cinematic legacy that will likely continue till the day I die and that's saying something about what sort of nuclear bomb it really was when it hit in 77'.

1960's

Lawrence of Arabia 1962 ★★★★

A film that is more married to the big screen than any film I can think of. It's told in epic grandeur, writ large on a canvas meant to be seen in as big a screen as you can. A story as big as its vistas, and a performance to match. It's truly one of the great films.

1950's

12 Angry Men 1957 ★★★★½

Not many scripts with as many characters and in as many settings as they've wanted have managed to do what 12 Angry Men does with 12 and one setting. It's a clinic in storytelling even today and shows more than any film that I can think of that what really matters most when everything is melted away is good writing, and a good story.

1940's

Casablanca 1942 ★★★★

Filmed and told in a bygone era, with performances that seemed to push further than the story before them. This thing is timeless and full of everything you want out of the movies. It remains one of the great romances. Still has some of the best lines put to film. It manages to remain affecting after all these years.

1930's

Modern Times 1936 ★★★★★

I was truly stunned at the scope of this movie when I first saw it. I had never seen a Chaplin movie before, and I remain transfixed by what he accomplished all those years ago. I love where stories are told with as little exposition as possible, and to see Chaplin at his height, telling a story just at the dawn of "talkies", a reaction to the culture he lived in, during the great depression, someone who had so much say and never a word comes out of him. It's the movie that talks, every action, every cog he gets stuck in, every job he wiggles out of and jail cell he wiggles into. It's still incredibly funny, and for my money, its message and ending are one of my favorites of all time and I can't help by grin my head off as the scene fades into black.

That's it for me.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Unusual but interesting topic for a film list. This has been hard as I haven't seen a lot of films from the early days of film.

1910s - Intolerance (1916): I've only seen 3 films from this decade, with two of them being from DW Griffith (no not Birth of a Nation but Intolerance and Broken Blossoms). Of the two, I can't but help it be amazed at the scale and ambition of it. I don't know if I buy this as an apology for Birth of a Nation but it is an impressive spectacle to behold nonetheless.

1920s - The Man with the Movie Camera (1929): I've seen 10 films from this decade, mostly consisting of Chaplin and Keaton. The most impressive one though I found was The Man with the Movie Camera, a portrait of the big city life in Soviet Russia as it ebbs and flows through the day. There's no plot or characters here, just amazing direction and editing.

1930s - City Lights (1931): Interestingly I've only seen 8 films from this decade which I need rectify this year. It was a toss up between Modern Times and City Lights but the latter's ending packs such an enormous gut punch that I get a little misty eyed just thinking about it so it had to be it.

1940s - The Red Shoes (1948): 28 films from this decade. Not bad but could do better. This is one of the best decades in film history. So when I say The Red Shoes is the decade's best, it also means it's one of my most favourite films. I had the good luck to see it screened in a theatre a few months ago and it was one of my most magical experiences at the cinema. It's craft - costuming, cinematography, makeup, music, choreography, story, acting is impeccable.

1950s - Vertigo (1958): 45 films from this decade. Also one of the best decades in film. Hate to be predictable but Vertigo is my choice here. It is after all the best film of all time! My fascination with this film has only increased over time having read and seen more of Chris Marker's work and thoughts on it. This was also the first Jimmy Stewart performance I saw and he become one of my favourite performers immediately. It's actually a little jarring going back to his earlier films and seeing a different more mellow screen persona.

1960s - High and Low (1963): 50 films from this decade. Also one of the be - actually maybe all decades are great so I'll stop repeating this. This is one of those periods where I can name any one of the films I've seen as a favourite and it would change from day to day. Today, High and Low - a Kurosawa helmed corporate-crime thriller which touches upon socioeconomic forces in 'modern' Japan is my choice.

1970s - Taxi Driver (1976): 60 films from this decade. Again a great decade but perhaps a tad overrated. I find Taxi Driver and its depiction of loneliness in the big city with Hermann's score, Chapman's cinematography, Scorsese's direction and the acting from all players absolutely hypnotic. It's a movie which pulls you in its bizarrely romantic yet despicable world.

1980s - Wings of Desire (1987): 95 films! That's a lot more than I expected tbh. Must be all the blockbusters. This is a tough one for me as the my top picks here are all very different. Today I'll go with Wings of Desire which is Wender's beautiful humanistic portrait of the desire for unification of Germany and the desire...to just live and love.

1990s - Chungking Express (1994): 149 films. I just seem to love stylistic portraits of city life for some reason. So once again I choose something along those lines in Chungking Express, a beautiful film about possibilities, chances and transient relationships in the city of Hong Kong. Not an easy choice though as another film (in the same year even!) covers similar ground (Three Colors:Red).

2000s - Mulholland Dr. (2001): 221 films. This is a confusing one for me because I've seen a lot from this decade. Again hate to go with the common obvious choice but Mulholland Dr. seems appropriate for our increasingly complex and confusing postmodern lives with loose grip on truth/reality.

2010s - Tree of Life (2011): 169 films. I just need something life affirming this decade. It's been a challenging one. Few films have the warmth of Malick's Tree of Life. It is both grand and intimate in scope. It was either this or Oslo, August 31,

Last edited:

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Really tough to narrow it down to one for most these.

1920's: The Gold Rush
1930's: M
1940's: The Third Man
1950's: The Night of the Hunter
1960's: High and Low
1970's: Jaws
1980's: The Thing
1990's: Unforgiven
2000's: In the Mood for Love
2010's: Mad Max: Fury Road

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
1950's: North by Northwest
1960's: For a Few Dollars More
1970's: Quadrophenia
1980's: The Thing
1990's: Clerks
2000's: American Psycho
2010's: Dunkirk

oberjin

Oct 31, 2017
1920 - Metropolis (1927)
1930 - Modern Times (1936)
1940 - Citizen Kane (1941)
1950 - Forty Guns (1957)
1960 - The Saragossa Manuscript (1965)
1970 - Suspiria (1977)
1980 - Blade Runner (1982)
1990 - Ghost in the Shell (1995)
2000 - Requiem for a Dream (2000)
2010 - Faust (2011)

Window

Oct 27, 2017
1960 - The Saragossa Manuscript (1965)
Now that's a film I've never heard of before.

The Saragossa Manuscript is a 1965 Polish film directed by Wojciech Has, based on the 1815 novel The Manuscript Found in Saragossa by Jan Potocki. Set primarily in Spain, it tells a frame story containing gothic, picaresque and erotic elements. In a deserted house during the Napoleonic Wars, two officers from opposing sides find a manuscript, which tells the tale of the Spanish officer's grandfather, Alphonso van Worden (Zbigniew Cybulski). Van Worden travelled in the region many years before, being plagued by evil spirits, and meeting such figures as a Qabalist, a sultan and a gypsy, who tell him further stories, many of which intertwine and interrelate with one another.
Sounds interesting.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
1930s - King Kong
1940s - Citizen Kane
1950s - Rashomon
1960s - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
1970s - Apocalypse Now
1980s - Blade Runner
1990s - Fargo
2000s - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2010s - Moonlight

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
60s: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
70s: Jaws
80s: King of Comedy
90s: Blair Witch Project
00s: Zodiac
10s: Mission Impossible: Fallout (okay... Leave No Trace)

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can see this getting locked as i though list thread were not allowed but heres mines (its really tough to pick)

1920's: The Passion of Joan of Arc
1930's: Angels With Dirty Faces
1940's: The Third Man
1950's: Seven Samurai
1960's: The Good the Bad and the Ugly
1970's: The Godfather Part 2
1980's: The Terminator
1990's: Goodfellas
2000's: Oldboy
2010's: The Social Network

Damn, i might watch them all this weekend.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
2010s: Blade Runner 2049
2000s: Mulholland Drive
1990s: Pulp Fiction
1980s: The Empire Strikes Back
1970s: Star Wars
1960s: 2001 A Space Odyssey
1950s: Seven Samurai
1940s: Casablanca
1930s: All Quiet On The Western Front
1920s: Nosferatu

Honestly this was a super interesting thread idea. Towards the earlier stuff the amount of films I've seen really dwindled, but there's still some stuff that was hard to make a decision on, especially the 1930s. The 2010s is a mess for me right now, as Fury Road, 2049, Hereditary, and Drive are all films that I love. 2000s was a two horse race between Zodiac and Mulholland Drive, but since I actually have Mulholland higher on my "GOAT" list, it had to win out. 90s was easy with Pulp Fiction. The 1980s was hard as fuck. Blade Runner was my initial choice cause I didn't want two SW films on the list, but ESB is my fave of all time, so it couldn't be left out. Same for the 70s' it's obviously Star Wars.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
1920s: Haxan: Witchcraft through the Ages (1922). A docudrama of nightmarish power, striking black humour and unforgettable hallucingenic imagery, this rose above the other silent classics for me due to its sheer variety, forgoing narrative in favour of a series of satanic vignettes.

1930s: Freaks (1932). Remarkable less for its film-making craft than its place in history - once reviled and banned, this film now seems decades ahead of its time in terms of its sympathy for its titular protagonists against the 'normal' people who try to exploit them.

1940s: Dead of Night (1945). An early anthology and out-of-character turn towards horror for the normally comedic Ealing studios, this atmospheric film creates many of what would later become cliches of horror cinema (malevolent dummies, grasping undead crowds).

1950s: Eyes Without a Face (1959). Decades ahead of its time, this plastic-surgery arthouse shocker famously caused audience members to faint at its premiere, and remains disturbing even from a modern perspective.

1960s: Persona (1966). Widely recognised as one of the greatest films ever made, this psychological clash between two women in an isolated cottage draws raw power and symbolism from the simplest of images.

1970s: Eraserhead (1977). A film that manages to commuicate the same uneasy logic as actually experiencing a bad dream, this industrial nightmare catapulted its young director to Hollywood fame, influenced countless film-makers since and so impressed Stanley Kubrick that he used to play it for cast and crew while making The Shining.

1980s: Santa Sangre (1989). A Chilean coming-of-age film drenched in psychological surrealism, using its slasher trappings to explore much more delicate relationships between its hero and his desires. Bizarre and beautiful all at once.

1990s: Ghostwatch (1992). A controversial fake-documentary drama by the BBC, fronted by its most well-respected presenters as they presided over a supposedly live investigation into Britain's most haunted house. This used fake media and a postmodern spin long beore Hollywood followed suit.

2000s: A Tale of Two Sisters (2003). A gorgeously-shot, flowerlike horror film that draws its real menace from broken-down family relationships, building mounting tension to such a nervous pitch that the vengeful ghost almost comes as a relief.

2010s: The VVitch (2015). Not only a mounting exercise in dread but a substantially effective dive into a historical period, bringing 17th-century fears to life in a way that only serves to remind us they never really left.

(Alternative list: Nosferatu, M, Rebecca, Gojira, Peeping Tom, Suspiria, Videodrome, Jacob's Ladder, Mulholland Drive, Hereditary)

Last edited:

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Interesting concept.
All of this is subject to change but here we go:

- Nothing pre-1920s. I do have a ton of love for Méliès but those are pretty much the only films / short films of that era that I've seen.

- 1920s: The Lost World
I much prefer it to King Kong, there is a mesmerizing magic to The Lost World, especially when coupled with the right soundtrack. A dvd I had had some Chopin in there if I'm not mistaken and it was a brilliant match.

- 1930s: it's a tie, Frankenstein and The Invisible Man by James Whale
There's something to the look of those films, from the cinematography to the set design that I just adore and love getting lost in. Bride of Frankenstein is obviously brilliant but I still prefer the first one since more of it takes place in that wonderfully bizarre twisted castle, right out of German expressionism.

- 1940s: The Big Sleep
Many Raymond Chandler adaptations are fighting for this spot and I gotta give some props to Edward Dmytryk's Murder My Sweet, but Howard Hawks is one of my favorite directors and this incomprehensible mess of a a film has the ultimate noir mystique. Plus you can't beat Bogard x Bacall.
His Girl Friday also came close.

- 1950s: The Seventh Seal
My favorite Bergman film. I was fascinated by that movie ever since I saw it referenced in Last Action Hero as a kid, lol. Saw it a few years later and it did not disappoint.

- 1960s: Solaris
2001 used to be my #1 favorite movie of all time but while Solaris is a tough movie to watch (like all of Tarkosky's films), I find that there is bit more humanity to it. They're both masterpieces of course, but Solaris speaks to me more.

- 1970s: Mad Max
There are much better films that I could pick of course. But as a teen I fucking destroyed my vhs of it, just by watching the opening chase on repeat forever. It's the movie I've seen the most so I have to give it some love.

- 1980s: oof this one is tough. Sorry Blade Runner, I'm going with Tetsuo, the Iron Man
The best experience I've ever had in a movie theater. I saw it in an old church with a band playing the soundtrack live and that movie just cast a spell upon me. It's violent, it's hateful, it's disgusting, it's raw and it's an incredibly flawed masterpiece that I can't help but love.

- 1990s: King of New York
A perfect encapsulation of the last remnants of "cinematic crime-riddled New York" (not sure if that makes any sense but it's the only way I can describe it) with a melancholic soundtrack and the best performance from my favorite actor, Christopher Walken.

- 2000s: Memories of Murder
A pure miracle of striking the right tone with every fucking scene, while at the same time completely changing said tone every 5 minutes. An absolute feat of writing and filmmaking.

- 2010s: too early to say. Right now, The Raid, Blade Runner 2049 and Wolf of Wall Street are fighting for the top spot.

This list ended up being more international than I thought it would be. That was unintentional but I'm pretty happy about that.

oberjin

Oct 31, 2017
1950s: Eyes Without a Face (1958). Decades ahead of its time, this plastic-surgery arthouse shocker famously caused audience members to faint at its premiere, and remains disturbing even from a modern perspective.

The surgery scene... that thing will forever be engraved in my memory.
FYI the movie was released in 1960 in France.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
1930s: Bride of Frankenstein
1940s: Casablanca
1950s: Rear window
1960s: 2001
1970s: Alien
1980s: Blade Runner
1990s: Reservoir Dogs
2000s: Oldboy
2010s: Inside Llewyn Davis

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Hmm, I'll bite. Movies that made a difference and that told the story of their decade, not necessarily ones I'd want to re-watch.

2010s: The Avengers - Comic book movies ramp up and hit their peak. This is where we're at, and this is the movie that jump-started the trend of comic team-up films. I don't even like it that much, but can't deny its impact on pop culture. It also symbolizes the incoming dominance of Marvel and Disney as THE companies this decade.

2000s: The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - Good. Evil. Light. Darkness. War. Along with Harry Potter, the total acceptance of fantasy geek culture which permeated throughout the decade and continues on into today.

1990s: The Matrix - You've got the inspiration for the deluge of school shootings to come, the idea of the internet as being a real place where people can literally lose themselves and not know where they are, while their overlords control them from afar. It's 90s tech perfection, and a great sci-fi movie to boot. My second choice would have been Clerks or Reality Bites.

1980s: Spaceballs - The world is a goddamn farce and everything is stupid and confusing.

1970s: Star Wars - Communists are evil and you should be part of the rebellion. Also, space is cool! We should go there more! Remember when we went to the moon in 1969?!

1960s: Psycho - Regular people are scary and the suburban dream didn't save us.

1950s: The Ten Commandments - People return to God in the post-war period because it's comforting.

I don't feel knowledgeable enough in film to go back any further.

This was kinda fun, but a few I chose super quickly after Googling "Best xxxxs films."

Deleted member 48205

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 30, 2018
1930 - too old for me

1940s - Pinocchio
Idk, I have seen like 2 other movies from the 40s and Pinocchio used to scare the shit out of me as a kid so It must be the one.

1950s - Rear Window
Again, I have seen very little 50s movies and I watched this one recently and liked it so there it is

1960s - 2001: A Space Odyssey
I liked all the Kubrick movies I've watched but this is the one that made me shit my pants. It might be the best movie I've ever seen to this day. Just imagine watching this in a theater in the 60s... Jesus christ.

1970s - Taxi Driver
One of these moments when a classic lives up to the hype. Easily Scorsese's best movie to date

1980s - Evil Dead 2
I couldn't believe how good this was compared to the first one which was overall okay but didn't stay with me that much. I only watched it one time and I don't plan to revisit it anytime soon

1990s - The End Of Evangelion
Probably the movie I watched the most times and I have a very personal connection to it compared to all of these other ones

2000s - Zodiac
For the longest time I thought I was the only person in the world that loves this movie but finding out in recent years that I was far from being alone on that one was great

2010s - Blade Runner 2049
The only one of these that I watched in the theater and I was just floored by it. It is so much better than the original it's not even funny. I'll probably watch it again in about ten years. Villeneuve best movie too.

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
20's- Battleship Potemkin
30's - Rules of the Game
40's - Late Spring
50's - Umberto D
60's - Sword of Doom
70's - Annie Hall
80's - Big Trouble in Little China
90's - Thin Red Line
00's- Yi Yi or Sexy Beast (still unsure on this)
10's- Take Shelter

Oct 29, 2017
1920s: Man with a Movie Camera
Actually a very watchable documentary with a time capsule peeking into the past. Also the poster boy for soviet montage, and if you got a snappy soundtrack to go along (I love the score it got in the 1990s) with the fast cuts you wont even notice that it is almost 90 years old.

1930s: The Grand Illusion
This is a particularly great film about The Great War made in a time when even a bigger world conflict was looming in the horizon. It is poignant and pretty well acted. A French film about WWI that paints a gray picture rather than a comfortable good vs evil rendition.

1940s: Fantasia
Sometimes I say that this is a film that cannot be made today because we don't have people who have the techniques or the patience to do animation in such a way. Of the 40's Disney films I don't think this has the better execution in telling its story, but I wont deny I love it for its animation more than for anything else.

1950s: Rear Window
It just keeps you in the edge of your seat with such an economical approach to suspense that is really humbling to see how effortlessly it appears to pull it off.

1960s: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
I pretty much love every minute here. I think there are better film from the 60s, and even a better Sergio Leone Western, but this is my favorite because it is the most suspenseful.

1970s: Badlands
This is one of those films that speaks to your fantasies, and not in a good way. There are too many films from the 70's that were in competition for this spot with similar reasons, but I feel that the embarrassing and shameful fantasies have an extra emotional potency within.

1980s: Big
I love everything about it. The preachy morals, Tom Hanks, the bittersweet ending, even the creepy relationship of an adult woman with a kid. All of it is my jam.

1990s: Ghost in the Shell
it was between Oshii and Tarantino, and I went with Oshii, (you could say because of biases towards animation). One of my favorite paced films. One that is about so much more than its plot. You get a brief window into a very well constructed world that shows so much in the periphery that you welcome the slow burn because there is so much to process.

2000s: The Lives of Others
This is my favorite ending to a film ever. The perfect happy ending with enough emotion that it feels bittersweet. The Runner Up would be Ratatouille, and it is almost for the exact same reasons.

2010s: A Separation
You take a very mundane story; something that happens around the world millions of times a week; but executed it so well that it is one of the best directed, best acted, and best shot couple of hours I have ever gotten from the medium.

Last edited:

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What a rad idea for a thread! It's quite the retrospective.

40s - The Fall of Berlin
50s - 12 Angry Men
60s - Rosemary's Baby
70s - The Rocky Horror Picture Show
80s - The Fly (1986)
90s - Toy Story 2
00s - The Dark Knight
10s - Toy Story 3

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
1910's - Dante's Inferno
1920's - Un Chien Andalou
1930's - Dracula
1940's - The Maltese Falcon
1950's - Seven Samurai
1960's - Dr Strangelove
1970's - Enter The Dragon
1980's - Big Trouble In Little China
1990's - Fist Of Legend
2000's - O' Brother Where Art Thou
2010's - The Raid 2

That was really hard, specially the 50's, 70's, 80's and 2010's. In the end I went with films I watch more often which means it skews a bit lighter than important.

Also I reserve the right to change any and all of those choices at any time.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to gif it up. Felt lazy about writing but still wanted to convey my enthusiasm towards these decade favorites. Those recent decades were difficult to pare down to a favorite.

67FZ.gif
40s - Late Spring
tokyostory3-112715.gif
50s - Tokyo Story

8034325.t.jpg
60s - The Connection
540full-barry-lyndon-screenshot.jpg
70s - Barry Lyndon
HIrM.gif
80s - Stranger Than Paradise
tumblr_myrko1eP511r3v4n0o1_500.gif
90s - Naked Lunch
583full.jpg
00s - The Wrestler
tumblr_ochfh6421k1vn3ir0o6_r1_540.gif
10s - Manchester by the Sea

Nakadai

Jan 10, 2018
I could have gone more boutique but I wanted to stay honest about what I really think is most important about film making.

1920s= Sunrise =Murnau is an incredibly important early film maker, and Sunrise is a great piece of work that i think is also very accessible, for an older film.

1930s= All Quiet on the Western Front =There is some hokey acting going on, but I think this is a fantastic adaption of Remarque's crushing novel. This film is equally honest, and brimming with a righteous anti-war energy that is beautiful to behold. Still incredibly affecting and important today. The scene with the injured friend and his boot. The first charge and the machine guns. Paul's speech to the youth. The final haunting image of the soldiers looking back to you as they march to war, superimposed over the graves.

1940s= Citizen Kane =I know people get tired of seeing this film mentioned, but goddamn if it doesn't deserve it. Orson Welles was 25 years old when he made this film, and you can feel the energy of a young genius confidently going forth to conquer cinema within it. Of course it wouldn't work out that way with Hollywood involved, but we will always have this. It elevated the medium of film.
Film can't do a lot of things as well as novels or even games. It can't put you in the mind of a character as well as a novel, can't create characters that are as fleshed out and real and psychologically complex as a novel can. It can't place you in the immediacy of a tense moment as well as a game where you are responsible for keeping your avatar alive.
But, using the camera to take you through another persons imagination, another persons dream, wherein the camera is placed elsewhere than where you would have put it, lit differently, moves differently, is cut together differently, and done in an inspired way: that is what film can do.
Bring that together with the stunning sound work of radio man Welles and his crew, a slew of great actors, and Bernard Herrmann (one of the four gods of film scoring), a truly great script, and you have...
Runner ups: The Maltese Falcon, The Magnificent Ambersons, It's a Wonderful Life, the films of Val Lewton, Drunken Angel.

1950s= Seven Samurai =This is another one I think people get tired of seeing mentioned, and I see why. What makes it so great is that it is, at it's heart, very simple. It is the layers and layers that are wrapped around it that make it so special. Kurosawa, Hashimoto (the great Hashimoto), and Oguni crafted a tale that reads like it must have come from an old story, an oral tradition if you will, wherein each teller of the tale over the years added their own embellishment, their own piece to the simple tale, until you have a great tapestry. Again, it is not psychologically very complex. It is not obtuse. The characters actions and few words define them very quickly. But what action, and what few words. Will cinema ever have a battle in the rain quite like this one again?
Kurosawa was a perfectionist, an obsessive, and a overpowering figure was hidden within that frame of his. But unlike Kubrick, what humanity he had! As a film maker, he was one who truly put forth the human condition time and time again. The film cannot be talked about with mentioning the absolutely phenomenal Mifune Toshiro and Shimura Takashi.
Runner ups: Sunset Blvd., High Noon, Ikiru, Tokyo Story, The Night of the Hunter, Moby Dick, Paths of Glory, Throne of Blood, The Lower Depths, 12 Angry Men, The Seventh Seal, Enjo, Fires on the Plain, The Human Condition.

1960s= Harakiri = I'm glad to see this film mentioned here and there more often now. When I first saw it I had never really heard of it before, and there was little information about it online. It hit me like a freight train. Absolutely stunned me, like no other film has. Worked me over exactly like it planned to. It took an ugly, false code that had done untold damage to the people of Japan (bushido), and absolutely trashed it.
Nakadai is one of the finest film actors, arguable the finest, and his work here is incredible. Everything is top A level. Takemitsu's score (another one of the four gods), Kobayashi's direction, Hashimoto's brutal script. It's a scourge of a film, painful but noble. Watching it is like a diaretic, cleansing, but you don't want to revisit it too often. I don't want to say much more, as I'd rather not spoil it. See it.
Runner ups: Inherit the Wind, The Innocents, Judgment at Nuremburg, Ride the High Country, Lawrence of Arabia, High and Low, The Haunting, Pale Flower, Dr. Strangelove, Assassination, Woman of the Dunes, Repulsion, Red Beard, Fort Graveyard, The Hill, Kwaidan, A Man for all Seasons, The Battle of Algiers, The Sword of Doom, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Once Upon a Time in the West, Tenchu!, The Wild Bunch, Red Lion.

1970s= Apocalypse Now =Cinema in America built to a fever pitch in the 70's, wherein directors and writers had gained more and more control over their films from the studio. Rising up through the 60's and ending in the early 80's, this movement, this lack of confidence the studio had in knowing what they thought the public wanted, led to the greatest period of film making in the country. Apocalypse Now was the apotheosis of this movement. What a film!!
Again the story is simple, a framework. Going down the river, backward in time, the history of mankind is war. Watching the film, it is no wonder that it burnt out Coppola. What an undertaking. To put up so much of your own money so as to have total control, gambling it all. It sounds like both a dream and a nightmare. Someday John Milius will get the credit he deserves for his incredible body of work. A madman genius, the real Kurtz. It's a beautiful disaster that overpowers you, taking you down the river with it.
Runner ups: Get Carter, The Tragedy of Macbeth, The Battle of Okinawa, Under the Flag of the Rising Sun, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Godfather, The Ruling Class, Solaris, The Offence, The Exorcist, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, Battles Without Honor or Humanity, The Godfather Part II, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, Dog Day Afternoon, Jaws, Nashville, Graveyard of Honor, Robin and Marian, The Tenant, Network, Taxi Driver, Cross of Iron, Ballad of Orin, Sorcerer, The Duellists, Stroszek, Alien, Being There, Nosferatu.

1980s= Ran =My favorite film (What a shocker). Absolutely honest about humanity, and the last masterpiece from Kurosawa. It signaled the end of this kind of epic film making. Never again would they build the entire third castle, having only one chance to burn it down. Never again would you see the full armies amassed and moving, without CGI "sweetening". The film goes from intensely personal to utterly remote from scene to scene, effortlessly. The first time I saw it on VHS with my father was like a religious episode. Like many of the other films on this list, I don't watch it very often, but then again, I don't need to: the scenes are burned into my mind and subconscious. They're a part of me.
Runner ups: The Shining, The Empire Strikes Back, Raging Bull, Possession, Excalibur, The Thing, Fitzcarraldo, Conan the Barbarian, Fanny and Alexander, Blade Runner, A Christmas Story, Repo Man, Come and See, Brazil, Legend, Matewan, The Last Temptation of Christ, Rikyu, Violent Cop.

1990s= Nixon =There are a few other movies that are about tied with this film, but I wanted to spotlight this one as I watched it recently. Anthony Hopkins is Nixon. And by that, I don't mean he impersonates him very well. I mean that at the end of the film, when they show a clip of the real Nixon, you think to yourself, "Who is this guy?" Because Anthony Hopkins has replaced him in your mind. He becomes the character, the figure.
Oliver Stone doesn't get enough credit. He GOES FOR IT in his films. No nampy pamby maybe or maybe not film making. He hits you over the head. And then again, right on the rising bump. And why not? it's cinema. Cinema should not attempt, as I said before, to do the things it cannot do as well as other artistic mediums. I think a good chunk of films made today would be better off being novels. Stone has your attention for two hours (or four, in this case!), and he isn't going to waste it. He gets shamed for being too on the nose, or wearing his politics on his sleeve. Fuck off. Salvador, Platoon, Wall Street, Talk Radio, Born on the Fourth of July, The Doors, JFK, Heaven and Earth, Natural Born Killers...
Sure he lost the spark after the 90's, but his work before is that of one of the great American directors. And Nixon is killer stuff, making the life of its most shamed President into an Shakespearean tragedy. It's funny, it's sad, it's ugly, and in a strange way, inspiring.
Runner ups: Goodfellas, Miller's Crossing, The Silence of the Lambs, JFK, Sonatine, Natural Born Killers, Huozhe AKA To Live, The Game, Hana-Bi, Princes Mononoke, The Big Lebowski, The Matrix.

2000s= Hero =The Citizen Kane of Jet Li movies. I kid, sort of. Christopher Doyle (cinematographer), should have been elected King of the Universe after this film came out. It looks like what you imagine movies look like in your head, but rarely can achieve when you see them onscreen. It is beyond beautiful.
That's to say nothing of the story, what little there is. We get three versions of the main tale: Red, the Lie, full of passion. Blue, the Theory, noble. And White, the Truth, Painful. There are few characters within the film, and except for the King, they say little except for a few monologues. Again, in film, actions speak louder than words. The sequence of the old calligraphy artist and his final lesson to his students during the storm of arrows is a perfect moment of cinema. Action is one thing film can do better than any other medium bar none, including gaming. This is a great example.
Runner ups: Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Unbreakable, Fellowship of the Ring, Memories of Murder, Children of Men, Zodiac, The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford, There Will Be Blood, The Wrestler, Nanking! Nanking!, Inglourious Basterds.

2010s= The Lost City of Z =It was either this or Nightcrawler. But I'm going with this since it seems like it came out of a time machine from the 1970's, in the best way. Credit to Brad Pitt who got the film made, and helped get it shot on film. You hear it too often, but they don't really make movies like this any more. It has flaws, sure. Time doesn't flow very well in the script. It needs perhaps ten minutes more footage to help it flow better, fill in some gaps. But it reaches so high, and succeeds in so many ways. This is what every movie should look like today. It's gorgeous, dark, mysterious. The last shot is... That gif of Pacha talking about the sun coming over the horizon in Emperor's New Groove, that's what it is. Nightcrawler is written like a great film from the 70's and this is shot like one.
I don't see very many movies that come out now. Even the best ones are merely "good", with a sigh after you say it. I'm tired of seeing "good" movies. I want shit that even if it is crap, makes an impression. Reach for something, goddamn it! Take a page from that crazy ex-cokefiend Oliver Stone and GO FOR IT!!
=Runner ups: Black Swan, The Master, Snowpiercer, Nightcrawler.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
1930s - The Wizard of Oz
1940s - Citizen Kane
1950s - Peter Pan
1960s - The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
1970s - Star Wars
1980s - Friday the 13th: Part 2
1990s - Mulan
2000s - Superbad
2010s - I Saw the Devil

This list definitely gets a lot harder to make once you hit the 70s.

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
2010 - blade runner 2049
2000 - the fountain
1990 - the matrix
1980 - terminator
1970 - halloween
1960 - 2001 a space odyssey
1950 - north by northwest

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
2010s - Mad Max: Fury Road, The Florida Project, The Witch, Blade Runner 2049
2000s - Fellowship of the Ring, No Country For Old Men, Oldboy
1990s - T2, The Matrix, Jurassic Park, In The Mouth of Madness
1980s - Die Hard, The Shining, Aliens, The Thing
1970s - Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Sorcerer, Alien, Jaws
1960s - The Great Silence, Where Eagles Dare, Good Bad Ugly, 2001

Haven't seen enough movies from the 50s or before to list them

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
2010s - Blade Runner 2049 (My current favorite movie. It bumped The Terminator down a spot)
2000s - There Will Be Blood
1990s - Unforgiven (The toughest entry for me. Apollo 13, Schindler's List, and Seven were also in the running)
1980s - The Terminator
1970s - Jaws
1960s - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
1950s - Paths of Glory
1940s - It's a Wonderful Life

OP
OP
Kommodore

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
I think I confused filming and release dates there.
And you've reminded me I need to watch The Saragossa Manuscript!

Haha I love this one. Really tied it into each decade. So many interesting choices in here. Surprising to me how different everyone's choices are. Reading a few responses made we rethink of few of my choices. Especially how each decade is its own bubble.

OP
OP
Kommodore

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I'll bite. Movies that made a difference and that told the story of their decade, not necessarily ones I'd want to re-watch.

2010s: The Avengers - Comic book movies ramp up and hit their peak. This is where we're at, and this is the movie that jump-started the trend of comic team-up films. I don't even like it that much, but can't deny its impact on pop culture. It also symbolizes the incoming dominance of Marvel and Disney as THE companies this decade.

2000s: The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - Good. Evil. Light. Darkness. War. Along with Harry Potter, the total acceptance of fantasy geek culture which permeated throughout the decade and continues on into today.

1990s: The Matrix - You've got the inspiration for the deluge of school shootings to come, the idea of the internet as being a real place where people can literally lose themselves and not know where they are, while their overlords control them from afar. It's 90s tech perfection, and a great sci-fi movie to boot. My second choice would have been Clerks or Reality Bites.

1980s: Spaceballs - The world is a goddamn farce and everything is stupid and confusing.

1970s: Star Wars - Communists are evil and you should be part of the rebellion. Also, space is cool! We should go there more! Remember when we went to the moon in 1969?!

1960s: Psycho - Regular people are scary and the suburban dream didn't save us.

1950s: The Ten Commandments - People return to God in the post-war period because it's comforting.

I don't feel knowledgeable enough in film to go back any further.

This was kinda fun, but a few I chose super quickly after Googling "Best xxxxs films."

Whoops meant this one. Love how you tied the decade to the film as a theme.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
1920s - Sunrise
1930s - M
1940s - Casablanca
1950s - Sunset Boulevard
1960s - Lawrence of Arabia
1970s - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
1980s - Blue Velvet
1990s - Pulp Fiction
2000s - Zodiac
2010s - A Separation

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
1940s Casablanca, The Third Man
1950s North by Northwest, Bridge on the River Kwai, Stalag 17
1960s Planet of the Apes, Lawrence Of Arabia, 2001
1970s Star Wars, The Godfather 1 and 2, Taxi Driver, Superman, Close Encounters,
1980s Raiders of the Lost Ark, Empire Strikes Back, Blues Brothers,
1990s Toy Story 2, Terminator 2, Pulp Fiction, Casino, Goodfellas
2000s Anchorman, Kill Bill Pt 1, The Life Aquatic, The Dark Knight, Hot Fuzz,
2010s The Avengers, Inglorious Basterds, Hateful 8, Rogue One, Infinity War, Grand Budapest Hotel

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
I've put a few runners up in, against the better judgement of the OP - I think it's hard to tell the story of even your own relationship to a period in film history, let alone one of that entire period, through just one film.

1920s - Man With a Movie Camera (r/u - Battleship Potemkin,The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The Passion of Joan of Arc)
1930s - M (r/u - Duck Soup, All Quiet on the Western Front)
1940s - Bicycle Thieves (r/u - Rome, Open City, Black Narcissus, Late Spring)
1950s - Ikiru (r/u - Tokyo Story, Pather Panchali, The 400 Blows, The Seventh Seal)
1960s - La Dolce Vita (r/u - 8 1/2, Blow-Up, Midnight Cowboy)
1970s - Stalker (r/u - Dog Day Afternoon, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles, Aguirre: The Wrath of God)
1980s - Wings of Desire (r/u - Paris, Texas, Blue Velvet, Fitzcarraldo)
1990s - Beau Travail (r/u - Hoop Dreams, Trainspotting, Fargo, Perfect Blue, Naked, Ratcatcher)
2000s - Mulholland Drive (r/u - A Serious Man, There Will Be Blood, Dogville, Dogtooth)
2010s - The Tree of Life (r/u - Amour, Under the Skin, Moonlight, The Master)

Last edited:

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Haven't seen enough prior to 1940, so...

1940s - The Third Man
1950s - Vertigo
1960s - Dr. Strangelove
1970s - Alien
1980s - Raiders of the Lost Ark
1990s - Barton Fink
2000s - O Brother, Where Art Thou?
2010s - Mad Max: Fury Road

Oct 27, 2017
I usually just hit the "watch" button up top on threads I want to follow but this one is so interesting I'd like to thank the OP for making it and everyone who has posted so far. I hope to learn alot.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
60's - Easy Rider
70's - Apocalypse Now!
80's - Top Secret!
90's - Princess Mononoke
'00's - LOTR: The Return of the King
'10's - Cabin in the Woods

Oct 27, 2017
2010s - Mad Max: Fury Road, The Florida Project, The Witch, Blade Runner 2049
2000s - Fellowship of the Ring, No Country For Old Men, Oldboy
1990s - T2, The Matrix, Jurassic Park, In The Mouth of Madness
1980s - Die Hard, The Shining, Aliens, The Thing
1970s - Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Sorcerer, Alien, Jaws
1960s - The Great Silence, Where Eagles Dare, Good Bad Ugly, 2001

Haven't seen enough movies from the 50s or before to list them

I like your taste in films, good choices.
lots of thriller/horror - perfect.

just a few suggestions i'd throw in the mix :

The Exorcist (1973)
Halloween (1978)
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Ringu (1998)
Ju-on: The Grudge (2002)
Let the Right One in (2008)
I Saw the Devil (2010)

Last edited:

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
1920s - The Thief of Bagdad
1930s - Murder in the Private Car or Shanghai Express
1940s - The Seventh Victim or The Locket
1950s - The Monolith Monsters
1960s - The Masque of the Red Death
1970s - Close Encounters of the Third Kind
1980s - A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors or Times Square
1990s - Starship Troopers
2000s - Hot Fuzz or Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
2010s - The Handmaiden

OP
OP
Kommodore

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
Unusual but interesting topic for a film list. This has been hard as I haven't seen a lot of films from the early days of film.

I liked how you included your sample size per decade. Might end up editing my post to include that. Using Letterboxd is a great help on keeping track of data points like that. btw if anyone wants to connect with me on letterboxd. I'm Interrobanger there.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1970 - The Poseidon Adventure (runner up: Jaws)
1980 - Das Boot (runner up: The Abyss)
1990 - Titanic (runner up: Starship Troopers)
2000 - Children of Men (runner up: Shaun of the Dead)
2010 - Blade Runner 2049 (runner up: Interstellar)

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
My list ended up being really strange. By tomorrow I might choose a different movie for each of these decades but all these would be in contention for that spot. Also decided to skip the early decades because there's just nothing there that I want to really highlight. Probably some Chaplin from 1920s and I also do have quite a few 1930s in queue, waiting their turn.

1940s - Double Indemnity
1950s - Sunset Blvd.
1960s - Grand Prix
1970s - Alien
1980s - Koyaanisqatsi
1990s - The Matrix
2000s - Almost Famous
2010s - Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (man I wish Edgar Wright made anything one tenth as good since this was released)

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen one film prior to the 50's so I'll skip that. s/o to Meshes of the Afternoon though!

50s: Rear Window - I've barely dipped my toes into this decade but of the handful I've seen I do genuinely like Rear Window. It sustains a simple premise with a payoff that works even if it's not the most surprising.
60s: La Jetee - Not a feature length but I love the use of stills and sound to build a world and tell its story.
70s: Alice in the Cities - I've seen a few of the standard 70s Hollywood classics but none of them resonated with me like this simple slice of life of a photographer navigating contemporary urban life with a feisty kid by his side.
80s: Come and See - Recency bias comes into play here but I respect how much restraint it had given the subject matter. There's plenty of 'important film's and this is one of them not only for the brief look into history it provides but how to tackle genuine human darkness. Runner up is Blade Runner.
90s: Whisper of the Heart - Another simple slice of life that speaks to a lot of truths growing up. I like how cozy it is and the main character's determination! Runner up is Heat.
00s: Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - Of the many films from home I've seen I'm unsure why this sticks with me the most. Conventional picks from this decade would point to Oldboy and Memories of Murder but there's something about how matter of fact this film is that I like. There is little judgement here for these characters, just people stuck in a system that respond in the only way they know: violence. Runner up would be Eternal Sunshine maybe.
10s: The Florida Project
1980s - Wings of Desire (1987): 95 films! That's a lot more than I expected tbh. Must be all the blockbusters. This is a tough one for me as the my top picks here are all very different. Today I'll go with Wings of Desire which is Wender's beautiful humastic portrait of the desire for unification of Germany and the desire...to just live and love.
Had the chance to see this for the first time on the big screen this year, incredible film.